• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I did a return on my stadia today and sent back everything, will report back on what exactly happens with my account, whether I get a full refund or not, etc.

To continue this, I checked my credit card today morning and got a full refund ($140 with tax) and sent my stadia back with a free shipping label from Google, so its a pretty risk free test of the product which is nice. No restocking fees or anything.

I got a key last tuesday (a day after "launch"), setup my account, tested at home with PC/xbox controller, got the box on wed, tested it at my sisters house on Wed with CCU/controller, tested at home on thursday, and decided it wasn't for me and initiated a return on thursday. Had my Pro account deactivated friday morning ("founder" status revoked, no games anymore, no Destiny F2P version exists), sent the box back friday afternoon, and had a full refund on my account friday night. Box should be arriving at Google sometime today.

So yeah, wasn't really for me, I didn't really have any issues with it but also no desire to play Destiny 2 at 1080p at random locations, don't care about Samurai Shodown, and none of Stadia games available are interesting to me (played/finished most). If they put out a sub plan or exclusive games that are interesting I may revisit. At least I have a stadia account now, although I can't really do anything with it except pay full MSRP for one of the 20 games. No f2p games at all.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
What sorcery is this? I couldn't get a bluetooth controller or mouse to register on my Note 9 with the same method.

Open chrome, go to the Stadia site and out it in desktop mode, the put the following in the URL bar and hit enter.

javascript:gg = navigator.getGamepads; navigator.getGamepads = function(){ g = gg.apply(navigator); if (g[0] !== null) { g0 = {}; for(var property in g[0]){g0[property] = g[0][property]}; g0.mapping="standard"; return [g0, null, null, null]}; return g; }

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Open chrome, go to the Stadia site and out it in desktop mode, the put the following in the URL bar and hit enter.
500px-One_Ring_inscription.svg.png

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Can the gamepad be linked to more then one Chromecast at the same time or do you need to go through the pairing steps when your want to switch them?
You need to go through the pairing steps:

Play on a new Chromecast
  1. Set up the new Chromecast.
  2. Press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until the light blinks white and you feel the controller vibrate.
  3. Enter the linking code on the TV screen.
  4. If you're playing on the same network as a Chromecast your controller has recently been linked to, you might want to unlink your controller from that Chromecast. To do so, power on your controller by holding the Stadia button for 3 seconds.
What he said. I haven't had to try yet, but what I'm assuming happens is you are linking the Stadia to your Google Account / Home. Then, when you want to switch Chromecasts you need to hold the Stadia button until the controller rumbles, then use the "pairing code" (button combination) displayed on the screen.

Was going to try swapping screens when I get home.

undecided

Oct 27, 2017
To continue this, I checked my credit card today morning and got a full refund ($140 with tax) and sent my stadia back with a free shipping label from Google, so its a pretty risk free test of the product which is nice. No restocking fees or anything.

Thanks for this write up.

I think I have decided to go through with this as well after their response to the graphics quality situation. There is no upside to having 3 months of paid service if they cannot provide a service with any advantages to the free tier.

Last edited:

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Also just got in... actually wanted to go to sleep but decided to make a quick destiny 2 test. Played on my 2014 macbook using wifi while watching netflix. (only have a 50/10 mbit connection) so I didn't expect much. I'm totally amazed, I also tested GeForce now and it was fine for my rts game but this is something else. It really felt like playing locally. I never expected that, what is this witchcraft!? Can't wait to test a bit more tomorrow with a real mouse / keyboard and using controller + chromecast on Wednesday. I never expected this, the tech really is amazing. I never had been very pro-streaming but this could be an amazing addition for me. :) And now off to bed... I feel like a zombie.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

javascript:gg = navigator.getGamepads; navigator.getGamepads = function(){ g = gg.apply(navigator); if (g[0] !== null) { g0 = {}; for(var property in g[0]){g0[property] = g[0][property]}; g0.mapping="standard"; return [g0, null, null, null]}; return g; }

You might have to do it again if it stops working. It works working fine yesterday but when I tried it this morning it wouldn't see the Xbox controller.

You're overriding navigator.getGamepads with a custom function, but it will only last for as long as your browser process is kept alive, i.e. it's not a permanent change. That's why you had to enter it again.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
You're overriding navigator.getGamepads with a custom function, but it will only last for as long as your browser process is kept alive, i.e. it's not a permanent change. That's why you had to enter it again.
Is it possible to do this with an extension or is it something that would get you banned from the chrome store?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Is it possible to do this with an extension or is it something that would get you banned from the chrome store?

I think easiest way is to create a "bookmarklet". See the "correct" answer here, and you can use this tool to do it (just drag the button that it generates to your bookmark panel). You'll have to click the bookmarklet it every time you start the browser.

There might be extensions out there that let you run javascript every time you open your browser, but I haven't looked into it.

Last edited:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having problems getting 5.1 to work with Stadia? Everything else I cast that supports 5.1 works fine. Stadia shows 5.1 in the connection section but my receiver is not picking it up.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
It feels weird to see the forum/internet meltdown about Stadia issues from lag to overheating etc (not this thread) while I am having a completely good time moving through Destiny 2!

And that's not even in a "this is serviceable" way. I am playing games more often because it's so accessible and the load times are great.

Really digging this thing. Excited for new games coming out on it and other features and service improvements.

Sucks for people having issues though. I am not denying there have been plenty for plenty of people. The launch has undoubtedly been pretty poor overall.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It feels weird to see the forum/internet meltdown about Stadia issues from lag to overheating etc (not this thread) while I am having a completely good time moving through Destiny 2!

And that's not even in a "this is serviceable" way. I am playing games more often because it's so accessible and the load times are great.

Really digging this thing. Excited for new games coming out on it and other features and service improvements.

Sucks for people having issues though. I am not denying there have been plenty for plenty of people. The launch has undoubtedly been pretty poor overall.
This place was never going to be a good forum to discuss Stadia and the current results are expected. At least this OT has remained cleaner and free for discussion.
I just jump between here and Reddit, mostly to read their user experience threads.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wish the PC image quality will get cleaned up. I don't know if it's a problem with Destiny or because they are limiting PC to 1080p only, but I really struggle to play this on PC because it feels like I'm playing in less than 720p or something.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really wish the PC image quality will get cleaned up. I don't know if it's a problem with Destiny or because they are limiting PC to 1080p only, but I really struggle to play this on PC because it feels like I'm playing in less than 720p or something.
Higher res on PC will be supported in the future. For now, it plays best on a ChromeCast.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017

PC is definitely a mile behind Chromecast. That's bad in the sense there probably should be parity, but also good because there is potential for it to improve and they are already showing it's possible.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Higher res on PC will be supported in the future. For now, it plays best on a ChromeCast.
PC is definitely a mile behind Chromecast. That's bad in the sense there probably should be parity, but also good because there is potential for it to improve and they are already showing it's possible.

Yeah that's true. Is anyone playing on a Chromecast on a 1080p TV? I'm curious if the image quality is still pretty good there?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My hardware arrives tomorrow but got in today thanks to my code arriving. Played some Destiny 2 with mouse and keyboard in my browser (moved my characters over from my old Xbox save - pre-Warmind) and some SamSho with a DualShock. Feels great to be honest. Comparing it to PS Now that I use pretty regularly, this is real good. Image quality and performance feel v good. Thinking of picking up the Metro Exodus with season pass while it's on sale to play through that DLC.

I'm in a position where I travel regularly for work and, even at home, I spend a lot of time in a different room to my gaming stuff behind a different computer. It feels pretty good to just have this available on any browser as I move around. Will be even better when it supports iOS.

Looking forward to my hardware arriving tomorrow so I can play on my TV with that new controller.

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Got my code today as well from my Premier Edition order. The reviews definitely kinda tempered my expectations but it actually ended up punching above where I though it would. I was expecting it to be about where Project Stream was when they ran that as a test, but the video quality and input latency definitely feels a step above that, was really impressed that SamSho plays as well as it does and even though D2 feels slightly "heavier" than it does on a local machine it it definitely more than playable.

Once I get the hardware I think I'm gonna throw down the $30 for Gylt since it is the one exclusive in the lineup and it actually looks pretty neat, and I think I might pick up Darksiders Genesis when it hits just for shits and giggles. Overall pretty impressed even with all of Google's boneheaded PR blunders over the past few weeks, I think as long as they keep at it and keep learning what needs to be improved they might be able to get on track with Stadia.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Got my code today as well from my Premier Edition order. The reviews definitely kinda tempered my expectations but it actually ended up punching above where I though it would. I was expecting it to be about where Project Stream was when they ran that as a test, but the video quality and input latency definitely feels a step above that, was really impressed that SamSho plays as well as it does and even though D2 feels slightly "heavier" than it does on a local machine it it definitely more than playable.
Chromecast experience is better, but I'm loving playing in my browser as well mostly because my work laptop is far to crap to normally play and games on it.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Has Google said when the Claw Grip will be sold or has anybody found a good grip for their phones with the controller? It's the only thing preventing me from getting the premium edition (with my Pixel 4 XL Credit).

Oct 25, 2017

The game is meant for kids, but it does contain
a lot of conversation about bullying in the form of written diaries, bullying 'scenes' that are enacted by marionettes, and it's a theme in the overarching plot of the game. The main character and her cousin have a somewhat complicated relationship where bullying colors some of their interactions, and as you play more is revealed about how that is connected to the primary drive of the game (which is trying to find your cousin in the first place). I'll assume you don't care too much about spoilers, but the younger girl feels very abandoned and attacked by the main character, and the game's primary location is a school where a lot of this goes down.
. For a kid's game, it leans pretty heavily into some of the visuals of this, and I think the warning is reasonable for them. Also, the end credits has a very sweet message where the developers ask for forgiveness for anyone they may have hurt in the past. It's a nice touch.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to activate my account and testing it out on my laptop. Ran terribly for me under ubuntu, but reinstalled windows and it runs like a dream there. Only tried Destiny 2 with KB/M so far, but I was not able to detect any latency on wifi with a 500 MBit/s fiber connection. I rarely game with KB/M though, so that probably factors into it. The image is a little blurry, but being able to just launch a game from Chrome and 60fps and fast loads compared to PS4 makes Stadia version much more preferable.

Looking forward to test out the controller on a chromecast when they arrive.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The game is meant for kids, but it does contain
a lot of conversation about bullying in the form of written diaries, bullying 'scenes' that are enacted by marionettes, and it's a theme in the overarching plot of the game. The main character and her cousin have a somewhat complicated relationship where bullying colors some of their interactions, and as you play more is revealed about how that is connected to the primary drive of the game (which is trying to find your cousin in the first place). I'll assume you don't care too much about spoilers, but the younger girl feels very abandoned and attacked by the main character, and the game's primary location is a school where a lot of this goes down.
. For a kid's game, it leans pretty heavily into some of the visuals of this, and I think the warning is reasonable for them. Also, the end credits has a very sweet message where the developers ask for forgiveness for anyone they may have hurt in the past. It's a nice touch.
This is useful to know, thank you - appreciate you typing it up. Didn't realise it was intended for children, thought it may have been exploring some of the themes from a darker (adult-hindsight oriented) perspective within that environment. It's good to know that there's another game out there using the medium to talk about this, hope a number of kids get to play through it.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say it feels heavy all I can think is how heavy so many hrs already feel on local hardware due to the (imo bad) design of the game.

It sounds nightmareish.

Maybe fine if you like them cinematic games but I don't.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true. Is anyone playing on a Chromecast on a 1080p TV? I'm curious if the image quality is still pretty good there?
I have done this with Destiny, yes. Looks fine. Only listed as 5.1 so it's possible ChromeCast knew my set was 1080p.

Anyone else having problems getting 5.1 to work with Stadia? Everything else I cast that supports 5.1 works fine. Stadia shows 5.1 in the connection section but my receiver is not picking it up.
Works for me, I have the ChromeCast plugged directly into the receiver.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I was really into this when it first announced but I did end up cancelling my pre-order back in august. Glad I did now looking at the UK prices of games.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018

I got a key last tuesday (a day after "launch"), setup my account, tested at home with PC/xbox controller, got the box on wed, tested it at my sisters house on Wed with CCU/controller, tested at home on thursday, and decided it wasn't for me and initiated a return on thursday. Had my Pro account deactivated friday morning ("founder" status revoked, no games anymore, no Destiny F2P version exists), sent the box back friday afternoon, and had a full refund on my account friday night. Box should be arriving at Google sometime today.

So yeah, wasn't really for me, I didn't really have any issues with it but also no desire to play Destiny 2 at 1080p at random locations, don't care about Samurai Shodown, and none of Stadia games available are interesting to me (played/finished most). If they put out a sub plan or exclusive games that are interesting I may revisit. At least I have a stadia account now, although I can't really do anything with it except pay full MSRP for one of the 20 games. No f2p games at all.

Does your Stadia name have numbers at the end of your tag now, like this #0000 ?

I know for a fact about revoking the little Stadia's icon, just not sure about the digits at the end.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Also just got in... actually wanted to go to sleep but decided to make a quick destiny 2 test. Played on my 2014 macbook using wifi while watching netflix. (only have a 50/10 mbit connection) so I didn't expect much. I'm totally amazed, I also tested GeForce now and it was fine for my rts game but this is something else. It really felt like playing locally. I never expected that, what is this witchcraft!? Can't wait to test a bit more tomorrow with a real mouse / keyboard and using controller + chromecast on Wednesday. I never expected this, the tech really is amazing. I never had been very pro-streaming but this could be an amazing addition for me. :) And now off to bed... I feel like a zombie.

How very DARE you have a positive experience with Stadia; you must be lying!

Jokes aside its great isn't it :) It just needs the publisher and developer support and i'm sure the games will come in time.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not had any issues finding players at all in D2. Admittedly I've not tried playing Crucible yet though.
Same, I've only done the "popular" crucible game types (i.e control or rumble) sad it is usually just to clear bounties. And in the last few days getting a group is very fast.

Actually doing PvP is a much smoother experience than on my ps4. Stadia really needs to leverage a have to show how good multiplayer can be

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The only thing I've had trouble matching for was Menagerie, which is relatively hidden and haven't tried recently. No issues elsewhere. I'm just finding it a trippy experience as so many people are new to the game. Not unexpected but coming off of other platforms it's funny to see 95% of people in blue outfits and using the stock dance emote.

I was really into this when it first announced but I did end up cancelling my pre-order back in august. Glad I did now looking at the UK prices of games.
Yeh it's not an easy jump, especially at a point where they're games that are old (save Glynt) and I've already had the "do I buy or no" discussion. Odyssey, FFXV, RDR, Tomb Raider I own on the X. Metro I've tried in 2033 and could never take to the game which is why I haven't got it already.

Will be an easier call with new releases, if Jedi Order was on Stadia I'd jump for that. For now though it's tough to go for something as it's a consideration for each I've had awhile ago, and for many it's either leaving behind a save file or the better looking version (which wouldn't bother me as much, if I didn't have them sitting in my X lib).

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how Metro Exodus performs on Stadia? Is it 60fps? Anyone know anything about resolution? I was really hoping for someone to do a full tech breakdown of every launch title but haven't seen anything yet!

Curious about Metro Exodus, GRID, NBA 2k20, Final Fantasy XV etc...