• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'm like slightly interested in this mess -- I like the idea of a wire free/console-less set up. A lot. Clutter depresses me. But my internet connection hovers around 5 mbps at best, so this would be a total crapshoot for me.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
So far impressions seem to be pretty good? Just odd, the media impressions overall weren't that great but from people i know that have it and just general impressions here, things seem to be pretty solid so far.
Give it a couple of weeks imo.

Right now everyone is amazed at how well it *can* work while it's working, and it's no doubt amazing how well they've made it work so far from what I can tell. But hickups, disconnections, occasional latency spikes etc. That kind of stuff builds up over time and will likely dull some people's experiences.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oooo, this just arrived 3hrs earlier than expected!

20191120_154423-01-0uqkum.jpeg

Last edited:

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
My impressions after a couple hours yesterday and about an hour today:

Main take away is that it works. Playing on the chromecast (ethernet) and playing on my PC (wifi) have both been pretty great experiences. I've put many (many) hours into destiny 2, and this is a perfectly playable version of Destiny 2. It definitely has input lag. In my experience (and this is key, because i'm sure they'll vary greatly and I've noticed it perform differently based on environment which I"ll touch on) the best way i can think to describe it is like playing on a TV with game mode turned off. You adapt and get used to it after a while, but it's definitely noticeable. if you're just looking to login and do some bounties / powerful / pinnacle awards, it works great for that. It also performs much better than the console versions of destiny in some aspects (framerate / load times) Load times are on par with the PC version from my experience.

I did try it at my office this morning just to see how it worked there. According to https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest, my connection is "Great".

It worked, but I kept getting spotty connection warnings, and while the connection stayed solid during the entire time testing it, the lag was noticeably worse, still not unplayable, but worse than I was experiencing at my house. It wasn't as bad as the Washington post report's video that was going around, but it was worse than I had at home, so i'm thinking complex corporate networks, with all the routing that needs to take place could be an issue. It also could be something with my setup specifically (docked laptop). I switched to the office wifi, and it was outright garbage (kept "buffering"

Update: I was able to determine that the issue was that I was using a docked external monitor (not the laptop monitor).Switching to the default laptop monitor and now my performance is excellent. Best response times so far and I'm using mouse and keyboard.

So i guess the story is, everyone's mileage with this will vary greatly. Specifically with Destiny, if i'm playing solo, Stadia is a good option, and particularly over console because the load times and frame rates are much much better. The PC version of destiny 2 blows the stadia version away, but that's kinda to be expected.

As far as graphical quality (again, using destiny), it's alright. Looks on par to the console versions. The worst part in my experience has been the shadowkeep intro screen, because the compression on the blacks seems especially bad. if you're coming from a pro or 1x, you're going to notice this stadia version is much softer (lower res) but it does run at 60 which is something. Hopefully the game's native res gets increased in the near future.

If you're an early adopter that is interested in streaming, all I'll say is, it works, and is a viable option. For most people though, like the reviewers said, it's hard to recommend. If I had a friend that was super casual had no consoles and a weak PC, and saw one game on stadia that interested them (and I knew they had good internet, a lot of qualifiers huh...) I would recommend the stadia version just due to the lower barrier to entry. But for people with other ways to play, it's kinda a tough sell.

I'm interested to see how it does, and I don't regret my purchase (yet). I actually think the controller is pretty much on par with existing controllers, and I'm enjoying the service so far. Hopefully it finds some footing. If not, at least we know that streaming "works" and with the right business model, could be a viable alternative.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I will say.. almost every impression still says "noticeable lag, but it's fine/playable" and that kind of blows my mind lol

If I notice input lag I'm probably out on this tech. I'm not interested in it to save money/not buy hardware though, so I get why some people might have a different threshold.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Controller. Feels solid to hold - much more weighty than I'd have imagined, obviously need to play with it for a bit to know how it fares in action.

20191120_160527-01u7jor.jpeg

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I will say.. almost every impression still says "noticeable lag, but it's fine/playable" and that kind of blows my mind lol

If I notice input lag I'm probably out on this tech. I'm not interested in it to save money/not buy hardware though, so I get why some people might have a different threshold.
Your entire last paragraph is basically "this product isn't aimed at me"

honestly, noticeable but doesn't bother is probably the benchmark you can get to on streaming, there really is no way to remove it completely.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

It comes down to adapting to the medium. You need to adjust switching the same game from Xbox to PS to PC. I've done a bunch a bounties and about 6 strikes and it feels like i am playing Destiny like anywhere else.

Lag is almost non existant for me but I have high speed and live near a google data center

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

honestly, noticeable but doesn't bother is probably the benchmark you can get to on streaming, there really is no way to remove it completely.
I'm aware; I'm mostly just fascinated wit the tech and not expecting to want it to be a main gaming platform for me.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Me either probably but they are taking one of my favorite IP's and making it exclusive to this platform (at least temporarily), so here I am. Not a practice I'm fond of. Hope they stick to new IP's in the future.

Btw, is it me or have I not seen a single person give an impression of how playable Thumper is on Stadia? Supposedly that game requires fast reactions when you get to higher difficulties

Last edited:

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

This is definitely not the product for you. Again, the best experience I've had with it from a lag perspective is similar to turning Game Mode off on a tv if you're looking to compare it to something most people who play console games understand.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
My Stadia hardware has arrived, but no code. Late afternoon in UK.

The controller feels nice at least, but come on Google, WTF.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
My Stadia hardware has arrived, but no code. Late afternoon in UK.

The controller feels nice at least, but come on Google, WTF.
It makes no sense how bad they are screwing this up. Logistics of sending out units is one thing. Distributing codes should be nothing.

Are the even acknowledging the issue?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First impression: Latency is basically not noticeable for me in Destiny 2. However, the compression artifacts at 4K bitrate are - more the GeForce Now's 1080p option for sure. Destiny 2 does not look fantastic...

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully California is waking up soon and we will get some kind of proper update on the code situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, oops, I have 40~ MB connection. I was on VPN earlier.

Interested in this. Still. After all the reviews. (Reviews are basically like "It works, but so what," and my answer to that is "because it interests me")

Raikkonen94

Oct 4, 2019
Mine has shipped too (expected delivery tomorrow/Friday) but the DHL Track & Trace code doesn't work so no idea when I can expect it. No code yet. Did anyone else (I believe only Europe has DHL delivery service) have problems with their DHL code to work?

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone put "where we going papa google" in the other thread and I've been losing it all day.

I kinda feel bad that this may be such a monumental flop because they have all the resources in the industry funds and just being google to make this work and by all accounts it's off to a not so great start.

maloney

Oct 28, 2017
(edited cos I replied to wrong post)

I'm in the same situation, received the hardware today (in the UK). So I thought I would contact Google... Now I wish I hadn't.
They told me my code will arrive in 3-5 business days! Business days!!

What a load of crap.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do you HAVE to sign up for Stadia Pro if you're a Founder? I got to the screen where they want me to subscribe but there's literally no option NOT to. Am I missing something?

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you HAVE to sign up for Stadia Pro if you're a Founder? I got to the screen where they want me to subscribe but there's literally no option NOT to. Am I missing something?

It's just the 3 month trial. You can cancel right after you sign up and still have pro until mid February.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like to play games on my lunch break. Often that means Switch but I've dabbled in streaming solutions too, including Remote Play for PS4 and Shadow (not in xCloud yet but will try it when I get in for sure). I have my many criticisms of how Stadia is and has been rolled out but I can't deny that it definitely works notably better than those two solutions at least. I played Destiny and AssCreed over lunch and the only thing stopping me from doing well is that I suck at Destiny lol. It worked near-flawlessly. I'm sure that doesn't happen when your connection is worse than mine but when this works, it works better than the competition. I'm just not sure that's enough.

Oct 29, 2017
Reading the impressions makes me kind of sad.

If Google starts to release some of the smaller releases that are PC, exclusive, that would make me jump in instantly. Focus on stuff like Battletech, Disco Elysium, or even the Total War-games. Stuff that isnt readily available on consoles. Only those really interested in the tech would jump in to play (and pay for) the current selection of games from yesteryear.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could competently screen capture this, because the compression artifacts are really annoying me. I hope they'll up the bitrate at some point because it's clearly not enough for 4K 60FPS.

Oct 25, 2017
Working through GYLT and I'm loving it, but has anyone noticed that anything that isn't on the top or bottom rows in the inventory can't be read? The cursor just doesn't seem to be able to highlight portions of the inventory, and on the top and bottom rows it only activates when you're near the very top or bottom extents of the items. Really a bummer, since it seems like a lot of the darker, more interesting lore is stuffed in those books.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Finally got my code yesterday afternoon and had a chance to play Destiny for about an hour. I've had Destiny on PS4 and PS4 Pro since launch with all the expansions and have probably put in 200+ hours into the game over the years.

Hardware: Tried playing on PC w/ M+KB and LG 4K monitor. On TV, 75" Sony X900E 4K TV w/ Controller. Both connected via Ethernet on a 1GBPS fiber connection (Speed test prior to playing had me 880mbps down/ 940mbps up)

Pros:

+ Loading times are significantly faster than my PS4 Pro.

+ With the controller, the input latency is essentially non-existent. I could not tell I was streaming.

+ Had a consistent experience on both PC and TV.

+ Loading into the game from PC was super smooth.

Cons:

- Graphics both on PC and TV on Stadia are worse and blurrier vs PS Pro.

- While the controller had indistinguishable from local latency, M+KB had a noticeable delay. Not enough to be game breaking, but enough to be noticeable and impact gameplay.

- Loading into the game to the TV was a little clunky requiring the phone. Hoping an Android TV app comes out soon to give you an actual TV UI.

- The app is currently pretty barebones.

Overall, I think I agree with the majority of reviews. Google has 99.9% nailed the streaming aspect and it provides a good experience, but game quality and the platform itself has a long way to go before it's a contender to even the current gen consoles. I'm probably not going to invest heavily into the platform anytime soon, but it's promising.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What surprised me the most so far is the input lag, with the Stadia controller there is none.

Played about two hours of Destiny and everything felt really smooth.

Cautiously optimistic so far.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried a mission in Destiny (Work PC, Mouse + KB). I'm shocked this works so well. I'm not super picky about frame-rates, artifacting, etc.. (meaning, I don't really notice them (blame my old eyes)) and this is freaking great. The one thing I almost always notice is input lag (ex. the old Flask Drinking lag in Dark Souls, Uncharted 3's issues, recently the hitches in the Switch version of Bloodstained, etc...) and I'm really not noticing anything here. Of course, I'm running Sweet Business (Auto-Rifle) with the auto-reload chest piece, so I'm kind of just spraying and praying. I should get a Pulse Rifle or Sniper out of the bank and see if I notice a difference.

Maybe once the shock of just being able to open a chrome browser and play Destiny wears off I'll be more critical (or, you know, whenever my first major freeze or whatever happens), but this is crazy. Can't wait to get the controller and see if the phone streaming works just as well. There really is something to be said for being able to play games anywhere assuming you have an internet connection.

I'm actually tempted to buy Assassin's Creed now. I could load that up for 30 minutes over my lunch break at work? Crazy talk.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried a mission in Destiny (Work PC, Mouse + KB). I'm shocked this works so well. I'm not super picky about frame-rates, artifacting, etc.. (meaning, I don't really notice them (blame my old eyes)) and this is freaking great. The one thing I almost always notice is input lag (ex. the old Flask Drinking lag in Dark Souls, Uncharted 3's issues, recently the hitches in the Switch version of Bloodstained, etc...) and I'm really not noticing anything here. Of course, I'm running Sweet Business (Auto-Rifle) with the auto-reload chest piece, so I'm kind of just spraying and praying. I should get a Pulse Rifle or Sniper out of the bank and see if I notice a difference.

Maybe once the shock of just being able to open a chrome browser and play Destiny wears off I'll be more critical (or, you know, whenever my first major freeze or whatever happens), but this is crazy. Can't wait to get the controller and see if the phone streaming works just as well. There really is something to be said for being able to play games anywhere assuming you have an internet connection.

I'm actually tempted to buy Assassin's Creed now. I could load that up for 30 minutes over my lunch break at work? Crazy talk.
Same boat, very curious at what my experience will be when the Chromecast arrives. My work firewall blocks Stadia ; (

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
LOL.. some of you guys really should think twice about using Stadia at work at all.

Whether it's blocked or not using 100mb per minute on anything at work is very likely to get noticed and investigated.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
LOL.. some of you guys really should think twice about using Stadia at work at all.

Whether it's blocked or not using 100mb per minute on anything at work is very likely to get noticed and investigated.

for sure. Although I've been doing it and it works so, so well. I have set it to the lowest quality just to help a little bit.

I figured out my work issue (had to do with using a monitor off of a laptop dock). Playing on the built in monitor works flawlessly.

This is dangerous