• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing you snatched that up.
I know its really hot *checks watch* 15 years ago.
I would also have accepted SpaceGhost.

Also: 1st impressions - played on Chrome browser with a DS4 on my mac since I have no hardware yet.

SamSho - no issues. Looked good, felt responsive.
Destiny 2 - not impressed. Looked like I was seeing a fluctuating frame rate, had several hitches during battles, during one I basically lost control of the char for a moment and nearly died. I did not notice an issue with latency. Visuals were muddy and "frame-y" Bummer, since D2 was something I was really looking forward to. Used cross-save to bring my 3 750 LL chars over from PS4. D2 needs some work :(

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Tried to talk to Google support just to see if maybe I'd get more info or ETA on my code. Chat person said he'd connect me over to the Stadia team but then soon came back and said the queue was too long and couldn't put any more people. He ended up sending an email to the Stadia team and said I would get a reply within 24 hours. Honestly not a good look...I'm not trying to act/feel entitled but I'd expect the codes to at least go out as scheduled. Put my order in June 7th.

Hmm. Well, people who ordered on June 6th only just got their codes today, so wouldn't the schedule be that you receive yours tomorrow? Was yours shipped earlier than those people?

Going to hit the hay and thought, may as well take the laptop with me and see what it's like upstairs. Well, it's finally here for me. D2 in bed. Once again, zero issues with inputs or streaming. Flawless.

Also, hugged one person in the Tower and now everyone is running up to me for one lol. Just hugged Bacon.

Scandalous behavior. In bed too! More seriously, good to hear shifting to a different room works well (or really that Wifi even works).

lol, I see you online not sure if the UI will actually tell of you are playing a game or now.

There were privacy settings about it during set up, so at least it's planned.

Stadia tag is Charpunk, feel free to add.

Kinda wish I would have went with something more creative since I got my code so early I panicked setting it up lol

Yeah, it's true. It was a really good opportunity for something creative, but instead I chose an username that I've used historically and that people already know. What is that, like wasting about $20 of the value of the Founder's Edition?

I know its really hot *checks watch* 15 years ago.
I would also have accepted SpaceGhost.

Also: 1st impressions - played on Chrome browser with a DS4 on my mac since I have no hardware yet.

SamSho - no issues. Looked good, felt responsive.
Destiny 2 - not impressed. Looked like I was seeing a fluctuating frame rate, had several hitches during battles, during one I basically lost control of the char for a moment and nearly died. I did not notice an issue with latency. Visuals were muddy and "frame-y" Bummer, since D2 was something I was really looking forward to. Used cross-save to bring my 3 750 LL chars over from PS4. D2 needs some work :(

Were you using Wifi or ethernet? Also, was your Mac battery fully charged?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Hmm. Well, people who ordered on June 6th only just got their codes today, so wouldn't the schedule be that you receive yours tomorrow? Was yours shipped earlier than those people?

According to the AMA on Reddit recently:
Stadia IS NOT A BOX! You don't need our hardware to start playing, remember? Right after we ship your order (but not earlier than 9AM PST 11/19), we'll send you an email with the invite code. You can use it immediately to create your account and reserve your Stadia name in the Stadia app on Android or iOS. Just for clarity: the first day is a little special, if we ship your order on 11/18, you'll receive the code on 11/19.

My hardware was shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow so was expecting the code today.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Gylt for the past hour with zero problems and no noticeable delay. Has some periods of poor performance with Destiny earlier.

Playing on the founders chrome cast ultra

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I did a slowmo of jumping in Destiny on Stadia (on my PC) with a Dual Shock 4, then booted up Destiny on the PS4Pro and did the same thing. It actually seems like VERY little difference. Its really crazy how well it works, even without the Stadia fancy WiFi controller.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
There were privacy settings about it during set up, so at least it's planned.

Fix: Yes, they show what games people are playing:

up8bMof.png

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of want to check out gylt but I also want to wait until I actually get my founders kit.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually shocked how well this is working at my house. I think yesterday / today set my expectations to basement levels. As someone who plays a decent amount of destiny on PC and console, it's actually amazingly playable. Been playing for about an hour now and at times forgot that i was streaming the game.

Not perfect, for sure, but very playable. My first impressions are actually somewhat positive.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I did a slowmo of jumping in Destiny on Stadia (on my PC) with a Dual Shock 4, then booted up Destiny on the PS4Pro and did the same thing. It actually seems like VERY little difference. Its really crazy how well it works, even without the Stadia fancy WiFi controller.
I really did not expect Destiny to work so well on my laptop via wifi

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested it out with SamSho. Played like garbage on my phone unfortunately. I couldn't tell if latency was an issue there because the video would stutter or freeze practically any time someone did an attack. Extremely disapaointing there. On my wired desktop through Chrome however, it was like butter. No stuttering. No noticeable latency to me (I'm sure it's there but casually playing I didn't notice it). No artifacting. Pretty impressed. If they can get Chrome up to 4K, actually maintain that experience, and actually release these games at the high settings like they originally promised, I could totally see myself picking up certain games for it. That is assuming this works that well with the Chromecast setup and the phone setup becomes at least playable for me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I played some Destiny 2 on my PC, it worked fine with my xbox elite controller and my Corsair headset (had to enable chrome access to it), I had to enable cross play with stadia but after that it picked up my PS4 vanilla d2 characters no problem, that was nice.

Visuals were kinda terrible, I mean they're not ps3 bad but nowhere close to my ps4 visuals and so far away from PC version that its weird. I assume its probably because I'm running in a browser, maybe with chromecast and the stadia controller it'll be better?

This whole thing feels like a mistake though and fun to mess around with for 30 minutes and then no real interest anymore. Anyone tried doing a return? Just wondering how that would work.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Glad to see comments that SamSho is working well in most cases!

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to play some Destiny 2 and Samsho. Latency feels amazing even with a bluetooth gamepad over chrome. I've been playing around a lot with local and remote streaming for years, and this is really the best it's ever felt.

Obviously the video quality isn't great on a PC monitor, but it's on par with something like Geforce Now.

Now if they can only fix those performance issues... (resolution in D2 / framerate in RDR2)

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Sticking to D2 and the free SamSho, for now. I'll start actually paying for games once there's more out and/or prices are at least a little nicer. Might actually buy RDR2 for the wife to play if she would be cool playing it on here, as my experience so far with D2 and SamSho has been better than even my relatively high hopes were expecting.

Username is the same as here (and, well, everywhere else) if anyone wants to friend.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can feel free to add me: username is Bread.

Played Gylt and a bit of Destiny so far. Don't care much for Destiny anymore (just wanted to see how an FPS would run), but Gylt is awesome so far.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they send the code out when the hardware ships? Or is it rolled out? I wanted to at least get my profile set up before the hardware arrives

They initially said they would, but they've been having trouble sending them out all day. I'm sure they'll get it worked out over the next few days.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone been playing Destiny with mouse/keyboard? Seems like most of the positive feedback I'm seeing on latency is through controller. The couple of reviews and streams I have watched said the mouse felt way worse than local, but controller seemed fine. I plan on playing Destiny pretty heavily with both, so I'm hoping mouse/keyboard feels good.

Almawtaa

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone been playing Destiny with mouse/keyboard? Seems like most of the positive feedback I'm seeing on latency is through controller. The couple of reviews and streams I have watched said the mouse felt way worse than local, but controller seemed fine. I plan on playing Destiny pretty heavily with both, so I'm hoping mouse/keyboard feels good.
I have a wired keyboard and mouse, I was trying REALLY hard to notice latency, didn't see any.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've played it for real, at home, though still 1080p in the web browser (my Chromecast Ultra arrives Thursday), Stadia really works. Maybe it's because I'm not used to playing these games, but I'm not noticing the latency at all - the only way I can tell it's streaming is, when playing Grid, a couple times the game stuttered when my internet did. Grid looks really great, and Samurai Showdown plays like a charm.

Loading times don't seem any faster than what I'm used to, aside from just starting a game; Samurai Showdown in particular has some long load times

Oct 25, 2017

Mouse + Keyboard on Destiny 2 is fucking *rough*.

Like, there's definitely mouse acceleration going on, and it doesn't seem like it can be turned off. Add in the extra latency, and no aim assist, and you're going to be missing a lot more shots than you hit unfortunately. Most players also seem to be importing their characters, so PvP is kinda unfriendly already lol.

Won't put any time into it until I get my controller. In the mean time, Gylt on keyboard + mouse, while still unfortunately seemingly utilizing mouse acceleration, is a lot more managable, and that experience has been quite good so far if a bit washed out. In fact, from a visual standpoint I would say the biggest problem I have with stadia so far is that contrast is poor and colors are very washed out.

Dean

Oct 27, 2017
Played GYLT for half an hour and if I didn't already know it was streaming I would have assumed I was playing on a console. No issues whatsoever.

Hopefully Google figures out how to right the ship, because this is really neat and I hope it lives long enough to see some of their first party output.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, if anyone is having any performance issues or stuttering gameplay, using the phone app you can open the Display settings (doesn't work through the stadia.google.com link yet) and switch to 'Balanced' or 'Low data usage' modes, depending on your needs. There is also an HDR option you can toggle on and off which might have performance implications and if you don't have an HDR display you may as well turn off.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I have a wired keyboard and mouse, I was trying REALLY hard to notice latency, didn't see any.

Like, there's definitely mouse acceleration going on, and it doesn't seem like it can be turned off. Add in the extra latency, and no aim assist, and you're going to be missing a lot more shots than you hit unfortunately. Most players also seem to be importing their characters, so PvP is kinda unfriendly already lol.

So it seems like connection quality might be the difference here? These are two completely opposite takes lol

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Won't put any time into it until I get my controller. In the mean time, Gylt on keyboard + mouse, while still unfortunately seemingly utilizing mouse acceleration, is a lot more managable, and that experience has been quite good so far if a bit washed out. In fact, from a visual standpoint I would say the biggest problem I have with stadia so far is that contrast is poor and colors are very washed out.

That's odd. It feels good for me. Not exactly like local, but I have a very low latency monitor and gsync, so it feels more like what it'd feel like without those.

According to gcp, I get 44ms ping to google's Iowa servers. I'm typically getting between 200-300Mbps.

Edit: also note I'm not a pro multiplayer shooter. I play maybe one FPS on mouse+keyboard a year.

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems like connection quality might be the difference here? These are two completely opposite takes lol

I'm not going to speak for the other poster, but I would normally play Destiny 2 on a i9, 32gb and 2080 Ti machine, so ~120-200 fps on highest settings on my PC on comcast business internet which, here, is around 89 Mbps down 18 Mbps up. I'm used to quality from the native experience, and have many hundreds of hours in Destiny 2 if not thousands. I'd also consider myself very sensitive to framerates and input latency. To me, the experience is absolutely noticeable in PvP, and less noticeable but still quite apparent in less stressful situations in PvE.