• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Hoping they just release a storefront as well at some point so that we could just download and play locally. That way, many of us with not so great internet can play these exclusives.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Google_SpruceGoose_09.max-1000x1000.jpg

What kind of studio is this. What the fuck.

I don't even know what to say.

Wow, that's an amazing public area!

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
A major point of the first party effort is to make games that can uniquely be run from Stadia.
They could very well be doing so but then they should have not launched the service as bare bones as it currently is. Having a game that is only possible through Stadia could have been a unique selling point that draws customers in.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
A major point of the first party effort is to make games that can uniquely be run from Stadia.

That's a nice long-term goal, but I suspect Stadia subscribers at launch would have simply settled for a big exclusive game or two that sell the platform. Especially since, in the absence of any first-party exclusives, all they ended up with were largely non-exclusive games that also don't uniquely leverage "the cloud" anyway.

I'm also dubious that relevant information about the "tech" wouldn't kicking around and potentially available to a first-party studio (if it existed), at least a couple of years ago.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
That's a nice long-term goal, but I suspect Stadia subscribers at launch would have simply settled for a big exclusive game or two that sell the platform. Especially since, in the absence of any first-party exclusives, all they ended up with were largely non-exclusive games that also don't uniquely leverage "the cloud" anyway.

I'm also dubious that relevant information about the "tech" wouldn't kicking around and potentially available to a first-party studio (if it existed), at least a couple of years ago.

Having a big launch title is not relevant.

Stadia is not a console.

Netflix did not have any originals for like 6 years and didn't have many until like 10+ years.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Stadia is not a console.

Netflix did not have any originals for like 6 years and didn't have many until like 10+ years.

Netflix had a monthly fee that covered everything, with very little buy-in required. For ten bucks a month you could watch a bunch of decent stuff, and this was phased in when they already had a successful-but-waning business in mailing DVDs out to people.

There was a much larger market of people who'd figure ten bucks a month was fair for access to a sizable number of generally-okay movies, especially at a time when accessing movies was more painful. Exclusive content wasn't really required.

Even now, a sizable number of Netflix subscribers don't care who specifically generates the content, they just want lots of content.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Netflix had a monthly fee that covered everything, with very little buy-in required. For ten bucks a month you could watch a bunch of decent stuff, and this was phased in when they already had a successful-but-waning business in mailing DVDs out to people.

There was a much larger market of people who'd figure ten bucks a month was fair for access to a sizable number of generally-okay movies, especially at a time when accessing movies was more painful. Exclusive content wasn't really required.

Even now, a sizable number of Netflix subscribers don't care who specifically generates the content, they just want lots of content.

With Stadia, you can continue to use your other consoles.

A lot of people have this mindset that like you have to become a Stadia gamer and not play anywhere else or something, which isn't how it is at all.

You can be a primary PS4 gamer but own a game or two on Stadia. Then over time, you can shift your purchases over.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Stadia is not a console.

Stadia is a discrete gaming platform, competing with other discrete gaming platforns. Your comparison to Netflix is a non-sequitur. Netflix doesn't have friends lists. Netflix doesn't have savegames. Netflix doesn't have purchases you can make, that are forever tied to Netflix. The things that tie people to ecosystems.

If you want people to buy-in on your new platform, or even move over from other platforms, you need to give them something worth moving for. Gylt and 40-car races in GRID are not going to do that.

And then on top of that, you're trying to convince consumers to jump in with both feet, into a completely new, unproven type of gaming via the cloud, while currently offering no reason for doing so beyond "hey, the core tech mostly works".

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people have this mindset that like you have to become a Stadia gamer and not play anywhere else or something, which isn't how it is at all.

You can be a primary PS4 gamer but own a game or two on Stadia. Then over time, you can shift your purchases over.
Pretty much, which is why the exaggerated hate here is so baffling.

Buy the console that keeps your warm at night and if there is ever a game that you want to try on Stadia them you can just get it without any upfront costs assuming your Internet supports it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Sure. And I'll continue to play the console I already own until Stadia can offer an experience or content that makes it worthwhile. So, three to four years, I guess?

Except, of course, if all goes well, this winter I'll have the option of buying two new, more powerful consoles with brand-new games that have already been in the works for some time, in the same ecosystem that I've already sunk a fair bit of time, money, and experience into.

Of course, there's the repeated refrain of "It's in the cloud, so Google can just increase the power!", but I'm wary of that for a number of reasons, most notably that they've not even really bothered to make the performance that impressive versus the current, end-of-gen hardware.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I don't think it's so much hate as it is just not being able to look away from a very slow, very obvious, and very expensive train wreck happening before your very eyes.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sure. And I'll continue to play the console I already own until Stadia can offer an experience or content that makes it worthwhile. So, three to four years, I guess?

Except, of course, if all goes well, this winter I'll have the option of buying two new, more powerful consoles with brand-new games that have already been in the works for some time, in the same ecosystem that I've already sunk a fair bit of time, money, and experience into.

Of course, there's the repeated refrain of "It's in the cloud, so Google can just increase the power!", but I'm wary of that for a number of reasons, most notably that they've not even really bothered to make the performance that impressive versus the current, end-of-gen hardware.

Not many people buy new consoles at launch. It usually takes a couple years to cross the 10M mark.

By the time PS5 is at 20M Stadia could have several exclusives.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always say bullshit whenever I read limitless creative possibilities. No, you're limited.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's not even in the same league. At least Netflix had content in 2008 (and still had their DVD mailing service).

And the fundamental comparison with Netflix continues to be a non-sequitur. Netflix is competing in a very different territory to a gaming platform (and also didn't have meaningful competition until a couple of years ago). The only commonality they share, is being platforms run on streaming infrastructure.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
And the fundamental comparison with Netflix continues to be a non-sequitur. Netflix is competing in a very different territory to a gaming platform (and also didn't have meaningful competition until a couple of years ago). The only commonality they share, is being platforms run on streaming infrastructure.
And is also survivorship bias. For every Netflix a dozen competitors tried and failed in the same streaming space.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not many people buy new consoles at launch. It usually takes a couple years to cross the 10M mark.

By the time PS5 is at 20M Stadia could have several exclusives.

"By the time the PS5 is quite successful Stadia could have several exclusives."

Glowing praise.

Again, I'm not necessarily arguing with you. If Stadia offers something compelling I'll give it a shot. The issue here is that there doesn't seem to be anything compelling in the pipeline for several years. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest, and Google isn't doing anything to push people to their storefront.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Stadia is more like Netflix than it is the PS5.

Netflix had massive competition it's entire existence. Cable, iTunes, etc

Oct 27, 2017
Better late than never, I guess, though it will be challenging to keep Stadia relevant for the 3 years minimum it would take them to develop a "killer app". They should have started this at least a year ago and have at least two other studios making smaller exclusive games (think Resogun or TowerFall).

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Better late than never, I guess, though it will be challenging to keep Stadia relevant for the 3 years minimum it would take them to develop a "killer app". They should have started this at least a year ago and have at least two other studios making smaller exclusive games (think Resogun or TowerFall).

You don't need to keep it relevant.

Stadia could go nowhere then have exponential growth in year 5.

This doesn't work for consoles because by year 5 it's on to the next thing. But Stadia has no generations and no static install base. The Stadia install base is infinite.

Oct 27, 2017

This doesn't work for consoles because by year 5 it's on to the next thing. But Stadia has no generations and no static install base. The Stadia install base is infinite.
If Stadia continues on the trajectory it's going, it will be virtually impossible to get users interested in it five years from now, especially with established players like Xbox and probably Steam moving into the space.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Stadia is more like Netflix than it is the PS5.

Netflix had massive competition it's entire existence. Cable, iTunes, etc

And Stadia is more like Steam than Netflix. What the heck are you even talking about?

This is nonsense. If you're trying to sell something, and you have competition, you need to make your product relevant.

Did someone cut your hair?

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
And Stadia is more like Steam than Netflix. What the heck are you even talking about?

This is nonsense. If you're trying to sell something, and you have competition, you need to make your product relevant.

Did someone cut your hair?

The limiting factor for a console is its hardware install base. Consequently, you have to have a successful launch in order to get third-party support, which you need to sell even more consoles, rinse and repeat, until the generation ends. As Mattrick once said, "whoever gets to 10 million first wins".

Stadia has no such limit. Instead, it's limited by connectivity and Google data centers. 10 years from now it's a safe bet that connections will be much better and Google will have many more data centers in many more parts of the world. The theoretical "install base" could be 1B+. In other words, if you launch a game on Stadia in 2030, you could potentially sell it to a 1B gamers, vs say 100M or 200M max for a traditional console. So even if Stadia goes nowhere and limps along like a dying dog for several years, it could still eventually take off.

The comparison with Netflix is based on the fact that they are both digital services, which launch in mediocre states and improve over time.

The difference is that Netflix uses a subscription model, which gives it a certain moat. There's really no barriers to a company creating a Netflix competitor, but because Netflix has such an enormous base of subscribers, it can outspend almost any potential rival. If cloud gaming goes to a subscription model, which is what Microsoft is trying to do, then something like xCloud could eventually crush Stadia if it gets enough subs, because Microsoft could throw more money at devs. Of course, there could be room for a variety of different business models (e.g. you have Vudu and Netflix coexisting peacefully).

But anyone who thinks Stadia needs to be a huge success in year 1 or year 2 otherwise it's doomed just fundamentally does not understand the business model.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The limiting factor for a console is its hardware install base. Consequently, you have to have a successful launch in order to get third-party support, which you need to sell even more consoles, rinse and repeat, until the generation ends. As Mattrick once said, "whoever gets to 10 million first wins".

Yes, I'm familiar with an unsuccessful launch leading to a lack of third-party support. Case in point: Stadia.

Also, LOL at citing Noted Business Success Don Mattrick.

Stadia has no such limit. Instead, it's limited by connectivity and Google data centers. 10 years from now it's a safe bet that connections will be much better and Google will have many more data centers in many more parts of the world. The theoretical "install base" could be 1B+. In other words, if you launch a game on Stadia in 2030, you could potentially sell it to a 1B gamers, vs say 100M or 200M max for a traditional console. So even if Stadia goes nowhere and limps along like a dying dog for several years, it could still eventually take off.

Ahh, yes, "just throw money in a hole for ten years while counting on your established competition to inexplicably remain stagnant", that classic successful business plan.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

The comparison with Netflix is based on the fact that they are both digital services, which launch in mediocre states and improve over time.

The difference is that Netflix uses a subscription model, which gives it a certain moat. There's really no barriers to a company creating a Netflix competitor, but because Netflix has such an enormous base of subscribers, it can outspend almost any potential rival. If cloud gaming goes to a subscription model, which is what Microsoft is trying to do, then something like xCloud could eventually crush Stadia if it gets enough subs, because Microsoft could throw more money at devs. Of course, there could be room for a variety of different business models (e.g. you have Vudu and Netflix coexisting peacefully).

But anyone who thinks Stadia needs to be a huge success in year 1 or year 2 otherwise it's doomed just fundamentally does not understand the business model.

The limiting factor for a service is its total user base. Consequently, you have to have a successful launch in order to get third-party content support, which you need to attract more users, rinse and repeat

No users = no content = no users = dead service.

The prognosis for Stadia taking off after years of existing with nobody caring is incredibly slim because things do not work like that

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Except Google are going to be joined in the game-streaming race soon by a company whose global cloud infrastructure is just as good (if not slightly better) than their own, and whose actual platform will be hamstrung by almost none of the issues Stadia currently faces. And that competitor's cloud platform will actually be an extension of an existing console platform, requiring no one to "switch" and leave what they know behind.

I doubt Google's strategy is (or was) to "limp along" for a few years - but if it was, they might as well close up shop now.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The limiting factor for a service is its total user base. Consequently, you have to have a successful launch in order to get third-party content support, which you need to attract more users, rinse and repeat

No users = no content = no users = dead service.

The prognosis for Stadia taking off after years of existing with nobody caring is incredibly slim because things do not work like that

The first sentence is true, the second is completely false.

Would you characterize Facebook's launch in 2004 as "successful" or Spotify? Or YouTube? On and on. Almost no one even heard about these things until years after they launched.

Nowadays, it would be very hard/impossible to launch a YouTube competitor or a Spotify competitor or a Facebook competitor, because they've built enormous user bases and it would be very hard to get people to leave. Which is of course why Google was right to launch now and not 5 years from now when they have exclusive games and have all the kinks ironed out perfectly. It's better to start early and grow a small, but progressively larger user base over time then it is to wait until you have the perfect product but a more established competitor.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

Stadia is not a console.

Jesus dude, your way of beating around Stadia's deserved criticisms is asinine. It's a gaming platform that can be compared to other consoles, if you want to settle with that.

If anyone wants to see his crazy predictions and statements, here they are.

There's really no point arguing with Stadia critics. Most of them are disingenuous trolls who parrot the same 5 or 6 arguments that are either (1) nonsensical or (2) have long been debunked. Most of them have never used it and have no clue what they're talking about. They often employ ad hominem attacks: calling someone a paid astroturfer, without any proof, should warrant a ban. It's flaming and thread de-railing. It's like VR critics 3 years ago but worse. Most of the critics are not interested in the concept, and actively want Stadia to fail because they like to collect plastic discs or don't want whatever system they are a fanboy of to face competition.

Of course, they're going to be completely wrong because the fundamental economics of software favors cloud computing in the long-run. It's only a matter of time. This thread will be fun in a few years. My predictions:

1. Stadia Pro will have more subscribers 2 years from now than there will be PS5 owners.
2. There will be 5X more Stadia users than there are PS+ members in 5-years.

Sony had a big early advantage with PSNow, but they totally squandered it probably because they didn't want to disrupt their old cash cow business -- a classic case of disruptive competition, like Microsoft failing in mobile because they clung to the Windows PC.

If Stadia fails, it will be because Microsoft figured out how to do it better first. But fundamentally, cloud gaming will eat traditional consoles.
Actually these anti-Stadia topics won't age well.

The problem is that people continue to view Stadia through the wrong lens. They see it like any other console. Which is to be expected, because few people have the vision or foresight to think about things outside the standard domain.

Stadia isn't a console. It's a digital service. Digital services get better over time. Consoles don't -- they are fixed platforms.
Consequentially, the first two years of a console's life are key, because if you don't get buy-in, it's over. Digital services, on the other hand, ramp up gradually, becoming better and better every year until they are dominant.

When Netflix launched streaming movies in 2006, they had about 1,000 titles. Most of them sucked, and you could only watch 6 hours of content per month. But slowly Netflix improved the service year over year, and now it's the dominant force in entertainment.

The other thing people don't get is that they still view it with this sort of "either-or" lens, which is a relic of the traditional console industry. Consoles are expensive, so people usually only buy one. They make a choice and commit. Stadia isn't like that. So lots of Stadia gamers will also be Xbox gamers or also be PlayStation gamers. Because you can use an Xbox or PlayStation controller to play a Stadia game, and you don't have to make a commitment in hardware, there's nothing to stop you from slowly shifting over.
So does GameStop? So does Walmart.

You wouldn't look at GameStop the same way you look at steam.

The fact that Google controls the entire hardware stack makes it fundamentally different from an app store and the comparison is meaningless.
Steam is like a car dealership. Stadia is like Uber.

They are very different models, even if they are both related to car transportation.
I could understand enthusiasm, but your defenselessness of Stadia, is absurd by addressing anyone with valid criticisms of Stadia as a disingenuous troll, or not having enough foresight. There's a reason why the many have repeated the same arguments towards Stadia. Because they're valid.

Here are some arguments I posted days ago in response to your post in regards to how the anti-Stadia topics wouldn't age well.

1. Stadia isn't doing well in many regards. A lack of games, third party support, first party exclusives being absent, lack of developer and publisher interest, games running worse than Xbox One X versions, delayed or missing patches (bl3 just finally got updated), possible network glitches, latency, lack of true ownership of games, etc. These are faults that Stadia has to address and it's easy to see why Stadia is criticized so much. It's a few reasons why some people are anti-Stadia.

2. So people don't have the proper foresight to see Stadia's brilliance? Like other consoles, Stadia plays games and is a worse platform to do so. Other than game streaming to a limited base, Stadia isn't exactly swinging out the gate, and many across the gaming community, journalists, youtubers and critics have voiced why.

3. Stadia is a service to play games, just like how I can play almost all of the same games on Xbox or PC. Also, consoles aren't exactly fixed, and as we've seen this gen, software updates have improved the features offered in consoles. I don't know what you're trying to say with this claim. If you want to claim Stadia is a digital service, so is Steam and the PlayStation Store where you can download games from.

4. Other than streaming, this is nothing like Netflix. Even Google doesn't consider themselves the Netflix of games. Stop comparing it to Netflix. If you want to compare it to another streaming platform, compare Stadia to XCloud or GeForce Now.

5. Many people don't have to commit exclusively to one console. Also, yes, consoles can be pricey, even considered an investment for many. But, for the price of a PlayStation or Xbox, you know you're going to get compelling games, exclusives and game support from all third party studios. On Stadia, you'll be lucky if you even get Call of Duty or the massive AAA after Cyberpunk, if Stadia keeps on declining.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The first sentence is true, the second is completely false.

Would you characterize Facebook's launch in 2004 as "successful" or Spotify? Or YouTube? On and on. Almost no one even heard about these things until years after they launched.

Nowadays, it would be very hard/impossible to launch a YouTube competitor or a Spotify competitor or a Facebook competitor, because they've built enormous user bases and it would be very hard to get people to leave. Which is of course why Google was right to launch now and not 5 years from now when they have exclusive games and have all the kinks ironed out perfectly. It's better to start early and grow a small, but progressively larger user base over time then it is to wait until you have the perfect product but a more established competitor.

Don't know why you keep comparing Stadia to things it is not

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Jesus dude, your way of beating around Stadia's deserved criticisms is asinine. It's a gaming platform that can be compared to other consoles, if you want to settle with that.

If anyone wants to see his crazy predictions and statements, here they are.

I could understand enthusiasm, but your defenselessness of Stadia, is absurd by addressing anyone with valid criticisms of Stadia as a disingenuous troll, or not having enough foresight. There's a reason why the many have repeated the same arguments towards Stadia. Because they're valid.

Here are some arguments I posted days ago in response to your post in regards to how the anti-Stadia topics wouldn't age well.

You keep asking me to respond to this post for some reason. I'm not going to respond to it because you aren't saying anything interesting.

For example you talk about a knock on Stadia being its "lack of true ownership" -- almost no one cares about this. It is not relevant whatsoever. Yes, there are a few people that think a stack of plastic discs on a bookshelf looks great. They disproportionately tend to visit this forum. But there are not many of them. This is like when people were up in arms about the Xbox One in 2013 and said digital downloads wouldn't take off on consoles. And yet here we are, GameStop is on the verge of bankruptcy and most console games are now digital downloads.

Don't bet against technology, especially when it's a core part of the industry.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
When you imply Stadia needs to have a huge first year to be successful, you are making a comparison. Do you understand that?

Let me break this down for you

Stadia is a "service" that offers people the ability to stream games it offers them to buy

Therefore in order to be successful, it needs games

Games attract users to the service

Users attract games to the service

Google can provide games themselves but not in the speed or quantity desirable to keep users happy

So Google needs to rely on third parties to fill in the gaps

Third parties want their games to actually sell, so they want a large userbase

Less users means that third parties are less likely to put games on the service

Less games means users are less likely to use the service

This becomes a vicious cycle that is near impossible to escape

Typically it ends with a dead service

Feb 23, 2019
Also, bummer to see Shannon leave. But she's in studio management, not so much a creative or content creator, and I doubt SSM will have any difficulty replacing her.

She probably is on the last leg of her career and wants a golden google parachute, because anchoring to Stadia is a mighty risk to say the least