• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Remember the Studios that Amazon had bought or opened and the games they should be delivering? Yeah, me neither.
Anyone who thinks that google could just throw money at the problem, just have to look at Amazons failures.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, interesting the amount of departures from
SSM. Hopefully it doesn't change much, GoW was my GOTY.

Didn't someone just joint InExile from the combat design team?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Is Stadia even expected to still be around after the duration of a typical development cycle?

I mean, clearly it is. People keep joking about this, but they are literally making investments here now for a longer haul. Just saying, damned if they do damned if they don't kinda thing here.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I could honestly see her having something to do with poaching Cory Barlog in the future as well.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Remember the Studios that Amazon had bought or opened and the games they should be delivering? Yeah, me neither.
Anyone who thinks that google could just throw money at the problem, just have to look at Amazons failures.

Given Amazon Studios has 2 upcoming game releases on SteamDB right now, it's too early to speak of their failures.

Yet.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Google really did not plan this through, an executive must have only just remembered they have a proper gaming division now.

"Oh yeah, someone give those guys over at recreational more money"

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, clearly it is. People keep joking about this, but they are literally making investments here now for a longer haul. Just saying, damned if they do damned if they don't kinda thing here.

I doubt it will be around in the long haul. Even the marketing points to that.

EJwBTibXUAEky1C.jpg

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Best of luck to her. Seems like she'll need it. I hope those checks are worth the size of the risk she's taking on.

google senior exec salaries are 500-700k/yr with bonuses on top of that. if she manages to pivot into a different role, stock would start to vest at the 2-3yr mark.
she knows what she's doing...

the highest paid people at game studios are typically on 2-300k, MAX, not including outright owners/independent ones with a separate source of revenue. there's a good chance she comfortably doubled her already comfortable salary.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it will be around in the long haul. Even the marketing points to that.

I think its fine to predict that, or have that hunch. But its really weird to make that prediction, then fire off at them when they take an action in the real world that defies your prediction... That's just bizarre. Opening and establishing studios to deliver exclusive content for their platform is exactly what people said they would need to even make the platform viable. Now they do it and its ... "Why u do dis?"

Feb 5, 2020
This is great news for Stadia and the studio head, as well as a sign to the average consumer that Google is in it for the long haul. However, I still feel like this is to little to late when it comes to Stadia creating their own studio, considering how long games take to develop and seeing as how Stadia will end up being less powerful than PS5 and Xbox.

I hope Stadia stays around, and this is a good sign, but I'm also cautious. I also hope that Sony Santa Monica's next game will still be good seeing as they've lost their studio head and lead combat designer

Stadia is a streaming service. Its "power" comes from the datacenter backing it. Saying "PS5/XBOX" is more powerful is like saying your laptop is more powerful than Amazon's EC2 service. It doesn't make sense...

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its fine to predict that, or have that hunch. But its really weird to make that prediction, then fire off at them when they take an action in the real world that defies your prediction... That's just bizarre. Opening and establishing studios to deliver exclusive content for their platform is exactly what people said they would need to even make the platform viable. Now they do it and its ... "Why u do dis?"

You do that before launch, not after. Imagine the og Xbox without Halo and other exclusives at launch only for them to start acquiring games and studios after launch. It would have been a flop.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed she's left Santa Monica but wishing her all the best and luck. Hope Google pulls their finger out and doesn't fuck everyone over that they've hired.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's an interesting feeling because I want devs to thrive but I just hate stadia being streaming only and games being locked to streaming. I love the idea of streaming as a bonus the way Xcloud is being sold, but Iam just never going to jump on the non native gameplay being the place I want to play..at least not this generation

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Really sad to see her go! She was great at SSM. This is a great get for google - best of luck to her!

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Stadia is a streaming service. Its "power" comes from the datacenter backing it. Saying "PS5/XBOX" is more powerful is like saying your laptop is more powerful than Amazon's EC2 service.

no it doesnt. it's power comes from the nodes that they built a lot of to keep in a datacenter - and they're 11tf running an OS that is hard to optimise for. a datacenter isnt a magical source of power that can be combined at will.
they JUST designed, manufactured and installed this hardware. it's not getting an upgrade any time soon.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Stadia is a streaming service. Its "power" comes from the datacenter backing it. Saying "PS5/XBOX" is more powerful is like saying your laptop is more powerful than Amazon's EC2 service. It doesn't make sense...

Yeah, but the datacenter systems running the Stadia code are powered by a 10.7 TF Vega GPU (which is less powerful than even the rumored 9.2TF PS5), and while those systems in the datacenters can be upgraded at any time (which is the whole point of Stadia) that costs money for Google, and whether or not they decide to upgrade the data center hardware is almost certainly reliant on whether or not they are making enough money to justify it

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Google has tons of money. They can float this thing for a decades if they wanted too.

My guess is that they expect Stadia will inevitably take off eventually if they stick around long enough for the internet to become fast/reliable enough for everyone and for it to have enough games. Seems like they're not at all worried about the short term.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see her go from SSM, to Stadia no less.

But she's amazing and i hope she will be happy :)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So 3 years for the first game from a newly formed studio? That seems like a uphill battle to make a compelling exclusive.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone here saw the Raising Kratos documentary you could tell the development of GoW was very difficult for her, best of luck on the new studio.

May 17, 2018
Good luck to her, but, as a fan of her previous work, this is pretty disappointing for me. Not a fan of anything involved with Stadia.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
My guess is that they expect Stadia will inevitably take off eventually if they stick around long enough for the internet to become fast/reliable enough for everyone and for it to have enough games. Seems like they're not at all worried about the short term.
I've read multiple ppl make the same assumption, but Google is a publicly traded company. They can't lose money on Stadia forever.

More importantly, it's not like Microsoft is standing still until this studio releases a game in 2025. I think a good analogy is Disney+ vs Netflix. Imagine if Disney+ launched without any Marvel, Pixar, or Star Wars movies and Mandalorian didn't come out until 2023. Now imagine if Disney owned none of those IPs and planned to create both content and an audience for that content after launching the service. Why on Earth would anyone subscribe?

Internet infrastructure isn't relevant, which is why Nvidia was able to leapfrog them when they gave ppl what they've been asking for: the ability to stream a bunch of games. The only way I think Stadia exists in a couple of years is if it starts purchasing exclusive streaming rights to games ppl already play immediately.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've read multiple ppl make the same assumption, but Google is a publicly traded company. They can't lose money on Stadia forever.

More importantly, it's not like Microsoft is standing still until this studio releases a game in 2025. I think a good analogy is Disney+ vs Netflix. Imagine if Disney+ launched without any Marvel, Pixar, or Star Wars movies and Mandalorian didn't come out until 2023. Now imagine if Disney owned none of those IPs and planned to create both content and an audience for that content after launching the service. Why on Earth would anyone subscribe?

Internet infrastructure isn't relevant, which is why Nvidia was able to leapfrog them when they gave ppl what they've been asking for: the ability to stream a bunch of games. The only way I think Stadia exists in a couple of years is if it starts purchasing exclusive streaming rights to games ppl already play immediately.

I guess the difference with that analogy is that people don't have to subscribe to Stadia. They don't need a steady stream of exclusives etc to keep people in a monthly subscription. Folks can just buy a game or two. If someone wants to play Cyberpunk or Doom Eternal this year (or one of the Stadia exclusives like this) and they don't have the hardware for it, they can just buy them from Stadia and play them without a sub. That's not really analogous with a new service that needs to attract and maintain monthly subscribers. Players don't need to commit to this over that because it's just buying a game. It's not buying a game via a sub and losing access if you stop subscribing.

Not to say the futures bright and everything's gonna be gravy. I just don't think a comparison with a subscription service is the right one.

Last edited:

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All your favs getting the heck out of Sony the last year.

giphy.gif

Shannon is a legend and has been through it all and is one of the main reasons the studio rebounded the way it did after GoW:A. A big loss for SSM . Great get for google but I still dont trust their gaming push.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Tbf Google has Jade Raymond leading their first-party efforts so I have some faith that Google's first-party studios will actually ship games in a timely manner

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I guess the difference with that analogy is that people don't have to subscribe to Stadia. They don't need a steady stream of exclusives etc to keep people in a monthly subscription. Folks can just buy a game or two. If someone wants to play Cyberpunk or Doom Eternal this year and they don't have the hardware for it, they can just buy them from Stadia and play them without a sub. That's not really analogous with a new service that needs to attract and maintain monthly subscribers. Players don't need to commit to this over that because it's just buying a game. It's not buying a game via a sub and losing access if you stop subscribing.

Not to say the futures bright and everything's gonna be gravy. I just don't think a comparison with a subscription service is the right one.
You're right, it's not an apples to apples comparison, which is part of the issue. I don't think most ppl realize they're not the "Netflix of Games™" without a subscription model. Additionally, if the choice is between buying 1-2 games on Stadia or doing something similar via Nvidia or xCloud with way more games options, then why would they choose Google?

If you asked me that question a year ago, I would've answered that Google was first to the market and so familiarity. ~6 months and 30 available games later and it's hard to imagine significant numbers of ppl purchasing Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk on that platform.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Additionally, if the choice is between buying 1-2 games on Stadia or doing something similar via Nvidia or xCloud with way more games options, then why would they choose Google?

Because xCloud is 720p and streams from Xbox One S blades and GeForce Now keeps losing devs/games. Doom Eternal won't be on it, along with the entire Bethesda catalogue. Luckily I've got a decent(ish!) PC rig but if I didn't have any PC hardware I probably wouldn't buy games to solely play via GeForce Now. I'd be constantly worried about losing access to them.

I get your point though and I personally doubt that many people are going to be choosing to invest in the Stadia system despite the things we've mentioned. I'm a user of all three of the above and I think they've all got pros and cons but, at the end of the day, none of the pros are gonna matter if the service (whichever one) dies and is closed down.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right, it's not an apples to apples comparison, which is part of the issue. I don't think most ppl realize they're not the "Netflix of Games™" without a subscription model. Additionally, if the choice is between buying 1-2 games on Stadia or doing something similar via Nvidia or xCloud with way more games options, then why would they choose Google?

If you asked me that question a year ago, I would've answered that Google was first to the market and so familiarity. ~6 months and 30 available games later and it's hard to imagine significant numbers of ppl purchasing Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk on that platform.
Yeah I don't see why anyone would buy a game on Stadia as it stands now. Performance is worse than console in many cases, library is paltry, support roadmap is bleak.

If Google wants to invest in game development then fine, but I doubt Stadia will still be a viable platform in 3-4 years when this studio (and Typhoon) has something to show.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because xCloud is 720p and streams from Xbox One S blades and GeForce Now keeps losing devs/games. Doom Eternal won't be on it, along with the entire Bethesda catalogue. Luckily I've got a decent(ish!) PC rig but if I didn't have any PC hardware I probably wouldn't buy games to solely play via GeForce Now. I'd be constantly worried about losing access to them.
Right but you wouldn't buy them on Stadia either for similar reasons. That's their point. You would just buy them on Steam or console to play locally and have better performance.