• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
I usually try not to cheer for something to fail, and if people like streaming games then more power to them. But games developed exclusively for Stadia are deemed to be lost in time once Google kills it. And Google will kill Stadia someday.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Woah, good luck to her. Wonder who is the head of Santa Monica Studio now

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know Shannon left. Wish her the best in her future endeavors at Google.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Weird timing. They're opening a Stadia studio now? So they'll have a new game coming five years down the pike?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
People keep assuming Google is going the traditional route with this system... they are not. Jade recently mentioned its gonna be 4-5 years for their new studios to get exclusive stuff out. I think Google is 100% fine building it up on the backs of technology for the better part of a decade. They are clearly investing and while they have bungled the messaging big time I honestly think in a few years Stadia will have a good rep. The tech is amazing.. but this is gonna be a slow burn like we have never seen in the gaming industry.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
Finally some Google confidence and further investment.

This announcement is at least a month too late from a PR perspective. I do bet that they earn some more faith in third-party devs though.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
There's such an interesting dichotomy between the demand for info from companies regarding new games and the info companies are most willing to share. I'd imagine that ppl interested in Stadia would like to know a lot more about planned releases this spring/summer. Ppl want to hear about games/features/services, not staffing decisions that may lead to a game in 3-5 years.

In fact, this is the exact type of story that was reported on regarding Stadia (before we knew what it was called) for years. "Google is hiring so many ppl, lookout for them to make a splash!" It's the reason why ppl feel let down right now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People keep assuming Google is going the traditional route with this system... they are not. Jade recently mentioned its gonna be 4-5 years for their new studios to get exclusive stuff out. I think Google is 100% fine building it up on the backs of technology for the better part of a decade. They are clearly investing and while they have bungled the messaging big time I honestly think in a few years Stadia will have a good rep. The tech is amazing.. but this is gonna be a slow burn like we have never seen in the gaming industry.

By investing in Stadia they are also investing In their cloud computing biz, which is growing nicely as well.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
that's pretty big news.

Wonder who will take her place at SMS. Yumi Yang? Cory? maybe Allan Becker is coming back since Doucet was named head of development at Japan Studio

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Problem is that Stadia will just fall by the way side of stuff like xCloud which will be faaaaar more appealing to people.

Not to mention Google, per devs, have been giving devs really worthless incentives for them to support it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Those services weren't huge initiatives. Stadia is much bigger than shitty social networks and chat apps.

LMAO at the idea that Stadia is somehow a bigger initiative to Google than Google+ was.

Google+ was their direct response to their largest competitor in their primary business (advertising) and there was enormous pressure for virtually every team at Google to integrate Google+ features or connectivity into their product. Stadia is a side hustle in comparison. Or not even that. A hobby.

This board needs some serious perspective sometimes.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Why are they building first party studios now? They should have done this years ago if they wanted new IPs near launch.

Seriously Google.

Oct 30, 2017
Google should have started developing games 3 years ago. Why aren't they buying some big exclusive games? The have enough money.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
never even knew that she left... I think for me at least that is the real news here

who replaced her?

well congrats and best of luck to her future

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they building first party studios now? They should have done this years ago if they wanted new IPs near launch.

Seriously Google.

There has to be some element of "Oh snap, we should really get our console out now before the PS5/XSX" right? Like, I'm not sure why they needed to launch in the state they did.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Cool news! I still have hope for Stadia so excited to see what they come up with in the future.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
After watching that God of War making of documentary, I can see why she would want to leave. The development of it seems like it took a lot out of the team. Plus she gets to leave the studio in good shape after releasing its most successful game to date.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Hope this new studio is pretty exited to work and create a game for at least 3 years, putting their lifeblood into this project... that everyone will forget completely in 5 until it's lost forever some day.

Streaming, the future.