• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Google is a very high risk company to partner with on something like this. They're not known as particularly reliable. I doubt Nintendo would do that. Its just not like them. Maybe Microsoft, about 5 years after it seems like its a good idea.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Why would Nintendo be interested in bolstering their direct competitor's streaming service? A partnership with Google would make way more sense.
I really don't think its a zero sum game for either of them. The console war days aren't too relevant anymore. Nintendo only cares that they get ownership over a platform. If Microsoft lets them white-label the tech from them and maintain their own platform, I find it likely they would take advantage of it. Its not really different than partnering with Nvidia, and literally white-labeling the Nvidia Shield as the Switch -- youre just choosing a supplier at a slightly higher level.

Microsoft cares less about the Xbox brand than getting people on Azure.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Its not pearl clutching, Google is notorious for killing off stuff that even remotely underperforms and they are more hardcore about this than just about any other tech company.

I mean Google+ lasted for a while (7 years I believe?) and was never ever relevant at any time in its life cycle.
That seems longer than I would have ever let it live if I was in charge. lol

The truth is that it is mostly a meme that easy pickings for trolls who have probably never heard of half the services on killedbygoogle anyway.

Is it not fair to point out that I can still play any digital content I have bought on Google Play on basically any modern device in response to worries about Stadia content being lost? Can you think of a service on Killedbygoogle that would have actually resulted in users losing paid digital content when it closed down?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It need download option for pc at the very least, that way it's basically like any other pc store but with the extra feature for streaming from anywhere

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I'm still in the "Stadia hasn't even launched yet and nobody seems to realize how big of a fucking deal having a 'PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW' button on every single trailer/lets play/stream of a Stadia game on Youtube potentially is" camp.

But we'll see.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is also how the hardware performs, less than a year before a massive power jump in the console world.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Streaming is just not ready right now, I honestly think they should just wait another 5 years until 5G is pretty much everywhere.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Plane B: by B I mean Bail, cancel the whole thing and refund everyone who bought it.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Plan B is to make it free.

Well obviously it was the plan all the time. I do think that people underestimate stadia. What we se now is they making money of beta testers. When the service becomes free every 12 year old will use it and strangely enough, thats what drives these free game mictrotransaction things.

Mark my words.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the "Stadia hasn't even launched yet and nobody seems to realize how big of a fucking deal having a 'PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW' button on every single trailer/lets play/stream of a Stadia game on Youtube potentially is" camp.

But we'll see.
Pretty much, tech is there. Just not sure if Google will do what is necessary to become a player

Oct 27, 2017

But we'll see.
It's not going to be a big deal if the experience once you click the button isn't up to par...and thus far they're still working on getting that to an acceptable point, and that's just with early adopters who probably have decent internet too

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I'm not surprised to see it failing (and it is), it is a bad deal all around and I'm not sure about the whole streaming future of games. To me, it still looks a CEO pipedream designed to make you unable to effectively own anything.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
These takes always come off as concern trolling to me, especially considering very few of the KilledByGoogle services are ever consumer facing paid services.
The only service I can think of that is in any way comparable to Stadia is probably their VR platform, Daydream.
I have asked several times and never got an answer, but how many paid consumer facing services has Google actually killed off?
Everyone seems scared they are going to lose their content, but I just don't see it. I still have every paid game or movie I have bought on Google Play.

Pretty sure Microsoft has a much longer list of defunct gaming services, no matter how you look at it.
Remember GFWL? What about UWP? Kinect?
Not too mention probably a couple of dozen game studio closures over their history.

Microsoft is definitely going in the right direction, and I am not saying they are going to suddenly cancel Game Pass, but it feels like the concerns around Google's history of killing projects are only very tangentially related to the current product they are offering.
The thing is that Google has very few paid services to cancel. But they have cancelled some, like Google Fiber and the Nexus Q (even if it was before it officially hit shelves). And they have a mile long CVS receipt of things they have cancelled. Things that were actively being used by people.

And the reason your Google Play stuff is because Google Play is at the core of Android, one of their biggest products. Stadia isn't really similar at all. Even if it was, do you think Android would still be around if it had Stadia numbers when it launched? Probably not.

May 10, 2019
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Do you believe that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft have a "passion" for gaming? Don't think stockholders for megacorps give a rats ass about passion

Stockholders may hold a company accountable for making a profit (when possible), but that doesn't give them complete control over a company's objectives and culture. Microsoft and Nintendo are resurgent because they've done the work to offer their base what they want - quality software on an attractive platform. Sony obviously has been doing this for a while (relative to this gen).

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Stockholders may hold a company accountable for making a profit (when possible), but that doesn't give them complete control over a company's objectives and culture. Microsoft and Nintendo are resurgent because they've done the work to offer their base what they want - quality software on an attractive platform. Sony obviously has been doing this for a while (relative to this gen).
That's not passion, it's analytics

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The thing is that Google has very few paid services to cancel. But they have cancelled some, like Google Fiber and the Nexus Q (even if it was before it officially hit shelves). And they have a mile long CVS receipt of things they have cancelled. Things that were actively being used by people.

And the reason your Google Play stuff is because Google Play is at the core of Android, one of their biggest products. Stadia isn't really similar at all. Even if it was, do you think Android would still be around if it had Stadia numbers when it launched? Probably not.

Google Fiber hasn't actually been canceled, just no further expansion beyond the current supported areas as far as I know.

Also, the argument could be made that Stadia is also related to one of the core business ventures they are putting a focus on, with it basically going hand in hand with the google cloud platform.

I understand that there are plenty of free services that have been canceled and such, but my question is directly addressing concerns of people who are basically saying they are afraid of Google taking away their digital content. I have asked in several threads of real world use cases where this happened to a user to the point where they are afraid of being burnt and no one has really given me an answer....

I just feel like it makes sense to compare Google's new digital content platform to their other digital content platform, not failed hardware projects like the Nexus Q or Google Fiber. Pointing to the only other service they manage that deals with selling digital content makes a lot more sense than comparing it to 90% of the products/tools listed on killedbygoogle.

People would scoff at someone for assuming Microsoft is going to kill off Game Pass just because they discontinued the Zune, but that is basically the same kind of logic people are following for Google IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that thry have gaming hardware that they need to upkeep and eventually upgrade.
Seems like a huge waste of space and money for a couple thousand people.

Wonder what Google is going to do once Ps5 comes out and smokes Stadia in terms of power.
They gonna upgrade the hardware?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you believe that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft have a "passion" for gaming? Don't think stockholders for megacorps give a rats ass about passion
Eh, Nintendo is a company run by developers for the most part, they absolutely do have a passion for gaming. As for Microsoft and Sony, they at least invested heavily into building their own repertoire of studios to develop games that they fund entirely themselves. Maybe not what you would call 'passion' but it's definitely commitment to the creative enterprise

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that thry have gaming hardware that they need to upkeep and eventually upgrade.
Seems like a huge waste of space and money for a couple thousand people.

Wonder what Google is going to do once Ps5 comes out and smokes Stadia in terms of power.
They gonna upgrade the hardware?
It's a beta
You can own a PS5 and play Stadia games
It's targeting the people who normally won't drop $500 on a console

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
they will randomly kill it one day and then suddenly 20 people will make posts about how awesome it was and how much it will be missed

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They should probably change that...and also just let Xbox run their Online in general lol that way it's at least current and serviceable
Why should they change? Google just became a trillion dollar company with an extensive cloud infrastructure, do you think console wars is a real thing outside of here?

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I'm sure Stadia will be around in whatever form for at least a few years. The free version reception will tell all.

Stadia needs time for the "subscribers" *cough* beta testers *cough* to really put the service through its paces

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why should they change? Google just became a trillion dollar company with an extensive cloud infrastructure, do you think console wars is a real thing outside of here?

And Microsoft hit that milestone awhile back??

Also, I mean like, so Xbox can put basic freegin features in it.. achievements, built-in voice chat, etc. I love my Switch but it's not an unpopular opinion to say that their online is lacking severely

Oct 28, 2017
I like Stadia. The controller is nice, and the technology works well on my home internet connection. But I don't actually use Stadia as a gaming platform because it really doesn't have any games I want to play that I didn't already have on my One X.

Instead I use it as a parlor trick, as a technology demo. Cool to show people that their random device can play modern games in Chrome when I plug my controller in and log in. It's futuristic if not quite practical yet.

I have a dilemma coming up when they want me to pay more money on February. As it is $10 a month isn't worth keeping access to any of the games they have given me in my Pro subscription.

But I want the technology demo, and based on what has happened with people who have bought games and returned Stadia on Reddit I think people who bought games as part of the initial period will have access to the "free" Stadia before anyone else will.

So instead of paying the $10 going forward, I might just buy the cheapest game on Stadia that is impressive enough for a technology demo so maybe Wolfenstein Youngblood, Trials Rising or the only exclusive Gylt.