• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they are rushing this out. They easily have until early next year, before next gen stuff gets more solid info, to get this rolling. Take another few months. Do it right. Have more games ready. Have the features done. Have a more solid case for why people should invest into yet ANOTHER ecosystem. MS showed that first impressions matter this gen so don't fuck it up.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
The developer in the article listing all of the google products that are still in service doesn't help his point. Google sucks at creating and maintaining platforms. Maps, Calendar, Pixel phone, are not platforms that people have to buy and sell on. And now they've hit a problem where people don't even want to give it a try because of their bad rep.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its been an interesting year of contrasts.

Apple TV launched its service completely half assed, launching with a set of shows that is mediocre at best, has reviewed poorly, and they seem to be indifferent to the way TV shows are received. A podcast I listen to from a major reviewer said they could not watch the Apple TV shows at home before release (for review purposes), they had to visit Apple offices and be brought together in small groups and WATCH THE SHOW IN A ROOM ON A LAPTOP. Like wtf, why would you not project it on a massive OLED screen with max visuals, not to mention critics nowadays are used to getting logins so they can stream everything at home and have the appropriate NDAs and measures in place to prevent piracy. Apple TV also has an extremely tiny and weak launch lineup.

Meanwhile Disney+ while having some technical flaws (due to massive demand) is launching with a massive library, is launching at a great price point, and is simple and easy to use and understand.

Similarly xCloud is ramping up slowly and makes more sense so far, it really is "the netflix of gaming" and you immediately understand when someone tells you that - pay $x/mo, get access to a large library of stuff. Its too bad its still basically in alpha essentially although I wonder if Xo tomorrow will get things more concrete. Stadia meanwhile is confusing as hell, the launch lineup is pathetic, the messages they send out are mixed at best and self-inflicted gunshots at worst, and its insane they are launching without a single "you gotta play this and you can only play this on stadia" kind of game and trying to explain to anyone how you pay $10/mo for 4k but you don't get access to any games except Destiny but you can buy more games (whats the price? who knows! don't worry, only 6 days to release!). Its like VOD rentals i guess?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see a single reasoned argument explaining why Google would kill Stadia.

Vast amounts of money on upkeep + low revenue from only a few people using the service?

I dunno, like, Youtube Premium is still limping along with a drip feed of content, so maybe Stadia will too.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft xcloud isn't a windows pc either, it's a 6 year old Xbox one
and next year itll be a scarlett
which will be more powerful, and have a massive back catalogue

google need to stick with this for five years to get the same depth and breadth of catalogue that xbox can easily bring to play
they're going to get one
they're toast unless they make that killer game that only stadia can run

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
and next year itll be a scarlett
which will be more powerful, and have a massive back catalogue

google need to stick with this for five years to get the same depth and breadth of catalogue that xbox can easily bring to play
they're going to get one
they're toast unless they make that killer game that only stadia can run
We don't know when they are upgrading to scarlet we also don't know if scarlet is stronger, we also don't know if Microsoft will allow server stacking like google either

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Vast amounts of money on upkeep + low revenue from only a few people using the service?

I dunno, like, Youtube Premium is still limping along with a drip feed of content, so maybe Stadia will too.

I think it's a bit early to assume it's not going to appeal to the mainstream market where convenience is one of the biggest purchase factors, especially with the launch to non-founders and many other markets still being a ways off.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've already said a few times in other threads here that Google has a tendency to kill off things whenever they want. Having faith in Stadia is akin to playing with fire.

Plus given how Google is making the same mistakes with Stadia's launch as they've made with most of their other hardware launches also kind of shows that they just never bothered to learn from their past ways. Kind of lends more credence to them eventually ditching this like so many other projects.

Honestly, YouTube Premium is probably doing pretty well just on the fact that it blocks ads, not for its original content. I've had it for years now and I haven't watched a single "Premium" exclusive video even once.

The fact that it came bundled with my Google Play Music sub is an incredible deal.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
We don't know when they are upgrading to scarlet we also don't know if scarlet is stronger, we also don't know if Microsoft will allow server stacking like google either

Most consumers aren't going to care about all that, since they won't come into direct contact with the hardware anyway. Their primary concern will be which service gives them the games that they want to play, at a price that they're willing to pay.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Shouldn't a mod change the title due to OP click baiting the thread as in if she thinks that rather than basically saying that people who who think that are silly ?
Absolutely. Half the time I think foks are paid bots. She is being critical of other devs believing that Google is going to cancel.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd be a lot more worried about the service being significantly hamstrung by ISP data caps. That's gonna be the major obstacle for mass adoption, and ISPs themselves are trying to get into the game streaming thing as well, with the added "bonus" of making their own services exempt from data caps.

I know Phil's previous comments on data caps are likely trying to downplay the issue as not to scare the horses, but the US being a fucking disaster field in terms of internet providers is going to be a huge problem, and less knowledgeable users will start running into data caps very fast.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth to be told, by the lack of hype and one of the worst marketing I've had the pleasure to witness, it's hard to see Stadia reach a success Google would see the service as sustainable. Sorry.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Don't care about it being canceled or not. Fuck game streaming with the internet infrastructure 90% of the world has. And don't even get me started on paying 60 bucks for most games on there. That's even more ridiculous. This whole project is a fucking mess in my eyes.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm still looking forward to trying this, I'd like to say Google is running a marathon and not a sprint and that is why it may appear a bit lackluster...

But that doesn't explain all the details coming out so close to the soft launch/beta.

Sep 24, 2019
To be fair Google does have a bad history when it comes to supporting it's own new things.

Are indies welcome on Stadia? Or do they just focus on the big players in the market?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018

It's strange, when it comes to Stadia you're all over people that they're no doubt going to be and keep upgrading their experience but with Microsoft you don't seem to be willing to give them the same benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
To be honest I'm not surprised at all.
I think google will cancel this. It just a matter of time when.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
You reap what you sow. Many of us have been burned so hard by Google over the years, and they've repeatedly proven that they will pull the plug on a product if isn't an instant success.

It sucks for the devs, who I'm sure are themselves very passionate and dedicated to Stadia. But it's a signal to the company many that their business practices have greatly eroded trust with their consumers and they need to change.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Scarlett won't be more powerful than Stadia? Come on now. When exactly they're upgrading Xcloud to Scarlett, we're not sure. But it's getting done that much is certain.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone's worried. It's what they fucking do when new tech doesn't succeed immediately.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Somebody should set up a Stadia Death Pool.

Guess the exact date Google pulls the plug and win a small amount of internet cred!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Google cannot be trusted with something as simple as preserving Usenet newsgroup archives that they bought from DejaNews in 2001. They have been removing entire groups without any recourse or explanation.

How can they possibly be trusted with something so much bigger in terms of money, like gaming?

At least Microsoft have proven themselves, as they've been investing in the Xbox brand and platform for about 20 years now, since the very late 90s.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Google cannot be trusted with something as simple as preserving Usenet newsgroup archives that they bought from DejaNews in 2001. They have been removing entire groups without any recourse or explanation.

How can they possibly be trusted with something so much bigger in terms of money, like gaming?

At least Microsoft have proven themselves, as they've been investing in the Xbox brand and platform for about 20 years now, since the very late 90s.

I feel like the answer to a lot of these concerns are right in front of people and still not getting across.

You basically sum up the reason in the bolded part, which is the potential money involved.

I think you would agree that there is no potential path for usenet groups to bring in millions, possibly billions in revenue.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I like Google but this is DOA written all over it. We'll most likely be talking about it's cancelation by this in 2021 or 2022.

Google's track record speaks for itself. There is really nothing else to it, really.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Early adopters beware, theres a higher chance this happens than it not happening. Sad but true, it's like a habitual thing for Google.
And then... well, wonder how the T's and C's hold up when the games you paid for disappear when their servers go dark.

Publishers and devs deserve to feel this fear, because Google can't be trusted.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Stadia lives or dies based on how the YouTube integration is implemented and how seamless it is.

If you can go from watching a game clip to playing it in 2/3 clicks ("Play it now", "Pay with Google wallet", "Start game"), it could offer tremendous value.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Right, but, with all of those things, Google either made a convincing and attractive case for everyone to adopt it, *or* they were there early enough in the rush to make them that everyone jumped on it first. Those things (phones, email, calendar, map) are also crucial every day functions at this point.

Absolutely none of those factors are in play with Stadia. It's just another, arguably less convenient way to play video games.

Plenty of people said the same thing about Chrome OS

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the answer to a lot of these concerns are right in front of people and still not getting across.

You basically sum up the reason in the bolded part, which is the potential money involved.

I think you would agree that there is no potential path for usenet groups to bring in millions, possibly billions in revenue.
Gamers don't care about how much millions or billions some company would bring by selling them games. What they do care about is the apparent and complete loss of their purchases in case this company here won't get its billions and decides to just pull the plug on its end. With your regular console this is less of an issue as you can still play games on it even if the backend will be shut down. Once Stadia backend is shut down it will disappear, completely, with all the games you've paid for. So the potential is nice and all but what will happen if it won't work out?

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Did no one read the article? It's actually saying that the Devs that think that are silly. And to all of the people who keeping decrying that google kills everything - the response was " It's not like Google cancels every fucking thing they make." You folks on Era need to wake the fuck up and and reaaaad.

Calling the devs "silly" is not nice, there are legitimate concerns.

How google handled Stadia until now is anything but reassuring. Most of the promises Google made for Stadia will not be ready at launch (some call it "beta launch" but people are actually paying a good amount of money, this is no Beta this is legitimate launch) and Google has been shady in communication. Short before launch they confess that many of the things they bragged about beforehand will perhaps be ready sometime next year or in two years. And the launch line-up is disappointing.

This is not how to handle an important launch, this is amateurish and gives not much hope for the future of Stadia.

Google will not shut down Stadia in two years if its not successfull. People will not loose their games instantly, but perhaps Google will cut down the servers, so playing games will have worse streaming quality and even bigger lags.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Gwen and the developers who recognize which way the wind is blowing. Posting this from my Android phone.

There's no reason to expect that the service is just gonna die because they're not blowing the doors off at launch. "Google cancels everything" is a meme people latch onto to feel like they're part of something. Everyone gets lonely.
Or, people are tired of using a Google product or service, getting invested in using said product/service only to see Google close it at short notice, even if said product is popular. See: Reader, Inbox.

The difference here is that Google is asking for significant financial outlay to use Stadia. Right now you have to pay £100+ to even get started. Even if you wait until the free tier, you're paying whatever Google charges per game, or a monthly subscription, or both. There is nothing surprising about people being concerned about having to spend that amount of money with the possibility Google will pull the plug on the service at any point, rendering their customers' purchases worthless.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

The difference is, Stadia will cost google millions, if it is not very successful. And Google tend to kill projects that are not successful and they killed much bigger projects than Stadia.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Stadia's biggest issue is not even Googles tolerance for throwing money away.... it is literally the companies that will control how their content gets to their consumers.

Google themselves said.. they just assume the cable companies will adjust and remove things like data caps.. I honestly believe this is the biggest issue... overall speeds in the US and data caps. Neither are things they can control and with their system they have to rely on 100% good connection unlike what MS or Sony are doing where you can play their games on a box in your own home.

It is going to be VERY interesting.. I am normally day one on any new gaming hardware because I love new things and supporting new competitors into the gaming market but I held off this time and I am going to see how it goes.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I mean Stadia's biggest issue is not even Googles tolerance for throwing money away.... it is literally the companies that will control how their content gets to their consumers.

Google themselves said.. they just assume the cable companies will adjust and remove things like data caps.. I honestly believe this is the biggest issue... overall speeds in the US and data caps. Neither are things they can control and with their system they have to rely on 100% good connection unlike what MS or Sony are doing where you can play their games on a box in your own home.

It is going to be VERY interesting.. I am normally day one on any new gaming hardware because I love new things and supporting new competitors into the gaming market but I held off this time and I am going to see how it goes.
It's a good thing the US has a 'Net Neutrality' law or things might have gotten awkward...

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Whaaat? Google? And cancelling a service? Without trying their best to support it? Nooooo. I wonder where they got this nonsense from.. /s

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the title was changed, should have been changed a long time ago, you can tell everyone is doing everything they can to get this to fail without even trying it