• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Still Actively Use Stadia?

• Founder - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 70 2.8%
  • Founder - No I don't.

Votes: 102 4.1%
  • Premier - Yes I still use it!

Votes: 16 0.6%
  • Premier - No I don't.

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • I don't own Stadia, but I'm considering it after hearing about it

Votes: 109 4.4%
  • I don't own Stadia, and I don't plan on getting it

Votes: 2,174 87.1%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
87% for no Stadia, rofl. Might be the biggest blowout for a poll I've ever seen on ERA.

Feels like it's at least 5 years too early for a streaming platform to take off.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this? The game is great on VR, but it's still good without. Seems like an unnecessary dig.

I've try Samurai Shodown at release at my friend house. And the input lag and overall responsive was really bad. And thumper is like one of the most intense fast space game I've play.... If the game doesn't respond to one of your input, you are death, and sometime checkpoint are like 30 second to one minute. I think Stadia would get me mad, really mad. But somone told me it was running super fine.... which i'm a little sceptical.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Hahahahaha

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I will most likely try out the free version once it's out later this year. Especially trying out nextgen games on there should be great.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
87% for no Stadia, rofl. Might be the biggest blowout for a poll I've ever seen on ERA.

Feels like it's at least 5 years too early for a streaming platform to take off.

I expected it to be a pretty skewed poll...but I wasn't expecting that. I feel this needed more time in the oven. They needed exclusive games at launch and time for people catch up to current internet speeds. So many who would be interested in this are assed out due to their shit connections and data caps.

The Devil

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Wait, what? Somebody please tell me there's been a misunderstanding here.

I couldn't believe it myself. It's honestly ridiculous.

Agreed, it's jumping into a market that is far beyond its barebones presentation. There's no messaging, no profile page, no store wishlisting, no store gifting, and it's severely lacking a library of games.

And being in 2020 with no streaming functionality is practically a crime.

100% agree.

What's worse is if you go on Stadias Reddit, it's absolutely cringey with some of the same posts over and over. Then when you check their accounts you see that they ONLY comment in Stadias subreddit and makes you wonder if those are fake accounts.

"WOW I can't believe how great [insert game] looks!"
"I'm a gamer again, thanks to Stadia!"
"I love just jumping in a game with NO LATENCY! This is the future!"

I think I spent a solid hour in bed looking through the subreddit and it's scary how repetitive some of the posts/comments were and the people defending Google when one negative thing or even feature is mentioned. Lol

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
nope post beta performance didn't improve and in depth information revealed google half assed device and network topology of the platform. Who knows who will do it right but it sure as shit won't be them.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
I've been using a buddy pass with a friend and it has been wonderful for grinding easy wins in Destiny 2 Comp. I was able to get to 5500 in like 6 hours. Then only an extra 2 to unlock Not Forgotten. Its also been kind of funny, we know pretty much everybody in competitive at this point, they are all so nice.

Also, I feel like the lag isn't what I want it to be, but it is nowhere as bad as I thought it' be. On my 200mb/s wired-connection, at balanced connection quality, it feels like I am playing on a decent TV without game mode turned on, sometimes it feels native-ish. I just hate how fucking weak the graphics quality has been. There should be a central computer with some major BDE powering these games, but no, I get Destiny 2 on like low to medium settings and an unstable 60fps. I could be playing on Ultra at 100s of FPS at higher resolutions with no lag on my PC. I will try the free version of this... Hardware? Software?... when it releases. Also, no iPhone support currently. I have yet to try connecting wirelessly. I imagine that'd make it feel more special, but with xCloud and whatever-the-heck-sony-is-up-to looming over the horizon I just can't see myself fully adopting or purchasing a game through this service. I'll use it when it's convenient on F2P products or cross-purchase products.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I check out the Stadia subreddit from time to time and there is no way in hell half of the posts aren't from employees or an agency they hired.

I'm liking the service for what it is because I can play destiny at work super easily, but some of those people are....questionable.

The service works and I haven't really had any issues because I went in knowing it's early access and I buy stupid shit I don't need because hey, why not. But holy shit their marketing team is terrible and I'm having super hd-dvd flashbacks lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is an enthusiast site that Stadia isn't meant for, but I'm still scratching my head wondering who exactly it is made for. Might be an anecdotal and insignificantly small sample, but nobody I know actually has one (no matter how enthusiast or casual a gamer they are), and there's been zero talk about it in my in-person and online social circles. I do think it would have had a greater and more positive impact had it been a subscription-based model where they went after exclusive content aggressively like Epic, as much as people hated that (maybe more so the fact that games that were previously going to be on Steam went EGS only, but still).

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I check out the Stadia subreddit from time to time and there is no way in hell half of the posts aren't from employees or an agency they hired.

I'm liking the service for what it is because I can play destiny at work super easily, but some of those people are....questionable.

The service works and I haven't really had any issues because I went in knowing it's early access and I buy stupid shit I don't need because hey, why not. But holy shit their marketing team is terrible and I'm having super hd-dvd flashbacks lol

See if every single game on Stadia supported cross save, I would be on that shit ALL THE TIME. I can play a game I own on another platform ANYWHERE? I'm there. It's one of the main reasons Destiny 2 is like the complete experience. I can play PVE content like Strikes and Nightfalls on Stadia, and then hop into my main game on Steam where I can do PVP and Raids and whatnot and all my rewards and progress carry over between versions.

Imagine if games like Red Dead, AC, Tomb Raider, etc all did that. I could load up RDR2 and pick up my save from console, and then continue playing it from a hotel or something without having to bring my console anywhere.

Google should be lobbying hard for universal cross save support to be able to sell Stadia properly.

The Devil

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019

I notice this too. It's really weird. Then when you check the accounts post history, they've only ever commented on Stadias Subreddit. They all practically say the same thing too.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree, the Stadia subreddit is awful and many of them won't accept any logical/thoughtful post about Stadia's/Google's wrongdoings and will just downvote you like crazy. Many of them believe the poor reviews and negative consensus that come from YouTube and Twitter are people trying to kill Stadia because we fear Google, or something delusional. I've even seen posts about someone thinking it was a conspiracy or a test of some sorts. And when people do find a decent review, it's either sponsored by Google or someone who does genuinely like it, and they use it to pour out the negative press on their sub. It's crazy, and I suggest people sort by new on the Stadia subreddit. Threads have also been deleted if you compare it to other consoles or criticize it, and I feel that Google moderating their own subreddit isn't a good look.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
See if every single game on Stadia supported cross save, I would be on that shit ALL THE TIME. I can play a game I own on another platform ANYWHERE? I'm there. It's one of the main reasons Destiny 2 is like the complete experience. I can play PVE content like Strikes and Nightfalls on Stadia, and then hop into my main game on Steam where I can do PVP and Raids and whatnot and all my rewards and progress carry over between versions.

Imagine if games like Red Dead, AC, Tomb Raider, etc all did that. I could load up RDR2 and pick up my save from console, and then continue playing it from a hotel or something without having to bring my console anywhere.

Google should be lobbying hard for universal cross save support to be able to sell Stadia properly.
You'd also need cross-licenses for that because I don't see many people being OK with buying their games twice.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Here's me playing Stadia (usually title screen) in my socks with my cat/dog/bird/poolside." lol

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I'm playing Stadia and enjoying it. As I visit ERA more and more, I realize how tribal this place is. Looking at those polls, (if they are even accurate), so many people commenting about not getting it or wanting it but still have an opinion on it is very strange to me when those opinions are sooo zealous.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019

Also cross-play. If they had that, I wouldn't turn my xbox on anymore for d2.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was founder, but got a refund. It works, but just working isn't good enough especially when it doesn't look great. I'll consider free version and for 2d games.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Are you still alive, OP?

Still alive and ate a LITTLE bit of crow. I enjoy the convenience of Stadia, but it still needs major work. I'm practical about the way I use my devices for the most part, and Stadia is VERY VERY close at being in regular rotation, but the problem is Google isn't doing a great job of holding on to their userbase and a lot of people are going to dip the moment their Pro sub expires.

The 3 month period that users got with their purchase was their time to shine and do everything they could to establish a userbase/push out content and updates to keep people onboard, but that deadline is approaching and Google has done NOTHING to sustain themselves in this corner.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you should take out the last choice. I don't have Stadia and I'm not curious how those that don't have it still don't. I want to just see how those who have it feel.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting on the free service, as in theory, it actually does fit a particular use case for me and 1080p with stereo will suit me just fine. But there are a lot of unknowns (network performance on my end, controller support/configurability) and the tepid launch doesn't inspire confidence in the long-term survival of the service at all, which is itself a reason to stop short of buying in.

I always thought—again, in theory—that the best way to approach Stadia would be to take advantage of the free service while stacking it on top of a Stadia-independent subscription like Uplay+; that is, if I want to play something from Ubisoft, just grab a month of their subscription and treat it as a rental, while ensuring that my save data and potential access to the software outlive Stadia if it's prematurely killed or if it simply doesn't suit my needs.

I will certainly never be paying a dime, nor will I jump in without free software that allows me to test-drive the performance of the free service. If you can't even see the performance of Stadia Base firsthand without putting money down on software, no deal.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
One big thing I keep seeing people downplay on the Stadia subreddit is the low multiplayer populations. Every game but Destiny 2 that has multiplayer is essentially dead or takes minutes to find a lobby/game. It's sad that people have to mark a date on their calendar to organize a 40 person race on Grid. When you bring up the dead multiplayer, they just keep reassuring it's in beta or hasn't launched, when Google declared it launched back in November. Also, if you bring up the games library/exclusives on the PS4 or Xbox One, I've had people get mad at me over how I'm comparing Google to PlayStation. Lol

Oh, and people straight up on that subreddit believe the PS4 didn't have games until a year and a half after launch, and how Stadia is doing much better in the games library than the PS4 was in 2013/2014. Like, we don't even release dates for a lot of games on Stadia or any heavy exclusives coming, when the PS4 has new game announcements weekly, with known release dates and windows for huge games/exclusives immediately after launch.

Also going to say it again, but Google moderating their own subreddit isn't pretty awful.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd be super interested to try it if it had a trial or something. It's not worth $130 to try it for the novelty unfortunately. Will sign up when its free.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm waiting on free, when's that releasing?

Also, will you always need a Chromecast? Cus I'm a Roku/Alexa guy and dont have one.

I mean when/If they support all most tablets/phones etc, maybe the dream can come alive. I have a One Plus 7 Pro, Samsung Tab S4, etc, no pixel devices.

People can trash stadia all they want though, I do think it has at least one pretty nifty use case, it theoretically turns ever single low end crappy $200 Chromebook into a (decent-ish) gaming machine. And even a lot of higher end laptops that have Intel IGP only like the Surface line.

That said the Destiny Stadia pop had declined from a steady ~10k to ~6k last I checked (admittedly a small sample size). That isn't good. Again, when is the free version?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If Google pivoted to a subscription model, brought it to more devices, and had a bigger library I'd probably be more interested.

On principal I'm not going to buy games I don't own. Onlive had a very similar business model to Stadia and while they gave out Steam keys with each game purchase later on, any game bought prior to that has to be bought again. That alone is enough of a reason to keep me away, no matter how good the service is.

It's disappointing, because if the final product is as good as the Project Stream beta I tried than its damn good and something I'd be willing to use if it was a subscription and worked on more stuff. As it stands though I'm not interested.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't believe it myself. It's honestly ridiculous.

100% agree.

What's worse is if you go on Stadias Reddit, it's absolutely cringey with some of the same posts over and over. Then when you check their accounts you see that they ONLY comment in Stadias subreddit and makes you wonder if those are fake accounts.

"WOW I can't believe how great [insert game] looks!"
"I'm a gamer again, thanks to Stadia!"
"I love just jumping in a game with NO LATENCY! This is the future!"

I think I spent a solid hour in bed looking through the subreddit and it's scary how repetitive some of the posts/comments were and the people defending Google when one negative thing or even feature is mentioned. Lol

That's because they are. Companies pay top dollars to contractor companies for the sole purpose of astroturfing the entire internet into influencing user perception, rigging user reviews in their favor, infesting forums with positive comments. There might even be some here, but we're mostly immune thanks to strict moderation. We've caught some in the past and it certainly won't be the last time.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be good. But I'm not sure about paying full retail for games that are probably cheaper on steam.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I was initially indifferent, now I actively hate Stadia due the moronic ads that Youtube forces on me.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I am generally interested in the tech and it's damn appealing to be able to play on everything without needing real hardware.

But I went down the HQ road everywhere. My movies are all 4k discs and no streaming, on a good 4k TV. I mostly abandoned consoles for at least gaming at 1440p 60fps on my PC. I even went to high-res music with a good DAC, amp and headphones.

It's unlikely that I'm going back to artifacts and blurry IQ.

Allfer2

Feb 21, 2019
I bought the founder's edition and still use Stadia almost every day, primarily for Destiny 2. It was super convenient over the holidays while traveling. Definitely not a perfect services, and I have a lot of issues with how bad Google's communication around Stadia has been. But as someone who bough in expecting to basically be a beta tester I'd say I'm satisfied with the purchase so far.