• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say many people, maybe even most, share those subs with family. If I paused my Netflix my nieces would cry lol
Yeah my mom and inlaws use mine, what's funny is I was planning on buying my mom her own sub. When I called Netflix to ask how to put 2 subs on the same card, they told me to share lol

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Really? It's easy though takes less than a min, Netflix makes it really easy
Yup. I know it is easy to subscribe and unsubscribe to any of those services, but it is a thing people tend to let it go, even if not using, like gym memberships.

Like I said, it is not the logical way to go and waste their money, but people will probably let it go.

But that's adding nothing to your conversation with the other user.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say many people, maybe even most, share those subs with family. If I paused my Netflix my nieces would cry lol
Yeah my mom and inlaws use mine, what's funny is I was planning on buying my mom her own sub. When I called Netflix to ask how to put 2 subs on the same card, they told me to share lol
Stadia doesn't become unusable if you stop paying your sub like Netflix though, if you were sharing your stadia account with someone

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea so you sub for 1 month then cancel, it's not hard lol, you can even cancel right after you sub and still have your whole month
I'm not saying its hard. I'm saying none of them are set up for this purpose and the majority of people dont do this. Not to mention if thats their business model for stadia theyre fucked right out of the gate (even more so than they already are currently)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying its hard. I'm saying none of them are set up for this purpose and the majority of people dont do this. Not to mention if thats their business model for stadia theyre fucked right out of the gate (even more so than they already are currently)
Too bad for the people that do that and waste their money then, I dont

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Stadia only targets a niche market in a niche market.

People that have enough money and are willing to spend extra money on a very fast internet connection and a good router and a gamepad and on games, will rather buy a console anyway.[\QUOTE]
Doesn't matter at all. Literally everyone on this planet with okay to good internet and anything with a screen already theoretically "owns" a Stadia compatible device. You're thinking of it like it's a console and it's not. It doesn't care, really, about current install bases or console players as a main audience.

And lets not forget, even a good internet connection will have problems to play Netflix and Youtube at the same time as Stadia, because Stadia strains the connection much more than any other streaming. So even if a family tries Stadia they will probably refrain fast and kids will cry if their games runs choppy/laggy.
Oh I'm sure the general public cares way less about game performance than you think they do.

Google tried already to get android on TVs and failed miserably. TV producers have absolutely no interest to include Google in their products unless Google pays for it.
And yet they exist already, so do Chromecasts.

I really think you misread the messaging and market intention on this thing. Again, I don't care for it, yet, but so far there's no Anzahl, factual reason to think it will bomb on a level most gaming enthusiasts seem to wish for. If only half of their initial use base, aka everyone with an Android compatible device, will buy one single game, they'll be fine.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I didn't know that.. but we don't know the details. It's doubtful it will be comparable to the Netflix model.

But that's cool they are working on something.
No real answers, some people looked at the Family link apk
Family Link 1.49 also adds some strings expanding on the idea of having a family library of Stadia games. Despite using the term "family library," we can't yet take this as confirmation that Stadia will allow sharing games between family members like the Play Store's Family Library does.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's really up to publishers; would be awesome otherwise but I doubt it will be anything more than what Steam offers.

You can play your family member's games (they have to give you their login and you have to log in to their account on your machine and authorize it, etc.) as long as they are not online playing any games is my understanding.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'll make a bold prediction - when Scarlett and PS5 are both officially unveiled and launched next year, Stadia will fade into irrelevancy.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Google probably doesn't want people rushing to try this out so soon, because it is an incredibly demanding online service, and we all know what happens when too many people rush to a online service at launch. That's why most of the features are promissed to launch next year.

Stadia is not playing like a console launch because it isn't. Any game that runs on pc, runs on stadia, no pressure regarding third party support. Every device that has chrome, supports(or will) stadia, no worry about having millions on the userbase first.

It's a soft launch. Dunno if will be successful, but attempting to discredit it's strategy because its not following conventional console its a really ignorant take.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of posting this shit?

Okay, I'll elaborate; given the so far poor messaging and that I don't truly believe that the audience for this exists at any kind of real scale, I can't see it gaining any traction out of the gate. This is a problem, because PS5 and Scarlett will absolutely dominate the gaming conversation next year, and given that they also have cloud gaming solutions + (most likely) much better and varied content, I can't see Stadia being relevant in 12-18 months time.

I could be completely wrong, but it feels like this should have launched a year earlier if Google wanted to give it real room to breathe and slowly build an audience.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I'll elaborate; given the so far poor messaging and that I don't truly believe that the audience for this exists at any kind of real scale, I can't see it gaining any traction out of the gate. This is a problem, because PS5 and Scarlett will absolutely dominate the gaming conversation next year, and given that they also have cloud gaming solutions + (most likely) much better and varied content, I can't see Stadia being relevant in 12-18 months time.

I could be completely wrong, but it feels like this should have launched a year earlier if Google wanted to give it real room to breathe and slowly build an audience.
I'm getting it, I don't have a console or a gaming pc, by next month I'll be playing games in 4K at 60 FPS, that shit alone is amazing.

I don't understand how people can can hate something so much before it even launches, it's like they have to hate just to hate.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I have no idea how it differs from a steaming service and, honestly, I don't care to know. I don't have the internet bandwidth to handle it anyway.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Completely agree that it's mismanaged, but I think it's a good service for a niche. Personally, my internet can more than handle the requirements, I don't want to spend money on upgrading my PC, and there are a few AAAs that I'd like to play. I don't really think I'll end up replaying those (they're all massive games), so I don't really care about "owning" them or not.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I cancel my Subs and resub all the time, ps plus, Netflix, etc

Idk why someone would stay subbed to something if there's nothing to play or watch
Well, for most of my subscriptions (Netflix, Prime, Spotify, Gamepass, etc) there is always someone watching or playing something on at least a monthly basis. For Netflix, it is daily so there's no way in hell my family could survive without it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting it, I don't have a console or a gaming pc, by next month I'll be playing games in 4K at 60 FPS, that shit alone is amazing.

I don't understand how people can can hate something so much before it even launches, it's like they have to hate just to hate.
That's my take, there are valid reasons to dislike or not be interested but the vitriol here is overwhelming for a supposed gaming discussion forum.

Every thread is drive by posts completely unrelated to the actual topic

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for most of my subscriptions (Netflix, Prime, Spotify, Gamepass, etc) there is always someone watching or playing something on at the least a monthly basis. For Netflix, it is daily so there's no way in hell my family could survive without it.
Either way that would be more doable on stadia because it doesn't become unusable when you unsub

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Have you guys included the high speed internet bill and electricity bills in your calculations yet!?

My 80Mbps Internet (more than double what is required for 4k/60fps) with no cap costs me £30 a month and I pay for it for all of my other entertainment and work needs already. I'm not taking out a new Internet deal for Stadia... It's not added cost. Electricity is whatever. Every other console/computer in my house also uses electricity and I have never factored that into budgeting when buying a new console. If anything I expect a Chromecast to use up less electricity than my PS4 Pro or my Xbox One X. Don't know if that's true but, also, whatever.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
My 80Mbps Internet (more than double what is required for 4k/60fps) with no cap costs me £30 a month and I pay for it for all of my other entertainment and work needs already. I'm not taking out a new Internet deal for Stadia... It's not added cost. Electricity is whatever. Every other console/computer in my house also uses electricity and I have never factored that into budgeting when buying a new console. If anything I expect a Chromecast to use up less electricity than my PS4 Pro or my Xbox One X. Don't know if that's true but, also, whatever.
Hey to be fair, my PC has far more uses than just gaming so I'd have it regardless but people seem to love to calculate the full cost when it comes to comparing it with Stadia. (yes, it could be less powerful without the gaming, somewhat. The point is, not the entire cost is saved)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
As somebody who loves his Wii U and defended it before release, it's hilarious seeing a lot of the same arguments being thrown around here as a defense of Stadia. Yeah, this release is definitely similar. lol.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Who says I hate Stadia? I hope it does well, I just don't think it will.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I see a lot of "It's the cheapest way to play next gen games" but next gen starts pretty much when Sony/Microsoft says it does. Ignoring all of their heavy exclusives, Stadia is already fighting for current gen games and especially any PC games for its selection.

I think thats the biggest indicator -- at least for me.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I'll buy some games on stadia for my 9 year old to play on her Chromebook. That's the demographic for me at least... people who don't want/can't afford a high end PC but might want to play some PC games instead of consoles.

I can't imagine Stadia will pull much of the Nintendo/MS/Sony console market over to the PC. Honestly it'll be older games that are on crazy sale for 5 or 10 bucks that I "purchase" for me and the girl to play every once in a while.

Now.. my 6 month old on the other hand? Maybe she'll be playing crisis on her phone while connected to Elon Musks worldwide super fast wifi. I'm assuming that's the end state google has in mind. To completely embarrass the current "mobile" game market.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

People need to realize that this isn't just for the core gamer who posts here. There are tons of casual gamers who want to get into gaming but are either intimited by PC gaming or the cost of buying a console as well as which one to get. I've seen this all the time working in the retail space. Having a service where I can pretty much play on any screen I already own pretty much anywhere I go on the devices I already own is a pretty easy sell.

Plus as of right now no other service offers 4k 60 hdr streaming with 5.1 surround for the people that want that experience.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
They needed to bite the bullet and spend big on some timed exclusive to get people in at launch. What's also really hurting them is that their biggest publisher supporter, Ubisoft, just admitted their recent games had been more or less rejected by the public. Good luck selling them on Stadia...

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They needed to bite the bullet and spend big on some timed exclusive to get people in at launch. What's also really hurting them is that their biggest publisher supporter, Ubisoft, just admitted their recent games had been more or less rejected by the public. Good luck selling them on Stadia...
Launch is next year, so it's possible.

Ubisoft is offering Uplay+ next year on Stadia, I'm sure many including myself will be trying that out.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of "It's the cheapest way to play next gen games" but next gen starts pretty much when Sony/Microsoft says it does. Ignoring all of their heavy exclusives, Stadia is already fighting for current gen games and especially any PC games for its selection.

I think thats the biggest indicator -- at least for me.
Well being able to play even just just 1080p at 60 FPS is a step up from current gen, then you got 4K at 60 FPS God damn- most people on PC can't even get that unless they spend a lot of money

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Well being able to play even just just 1080p at 60 FPS is a step up from current gen, then you got 4K at 60 FPS God damn- most people on PC can't even get that unless they spend a lot of money
Yes, but you also get a much shallower pool than any console (Including the yet-released PS5 and Xbox Next which are said to be BC with fps/resolution upgrades)
Stadia releases in 20 days and has 40 games with 1 exclusive - with games going as far back as 2015.

I mean, I guess it's okay if you compare it to the 360/PS3 launches.

I could see it being useful for MMOs but if I have to rebuy ESO for Stadia it'll be a dealbreaker unless its included somehow.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but you also get a much shallower pool than any console (Including the yet-released PS5 and Xbox Next which are said to be BC with fps/resolution upgrades)
Stadia releases in 20 days and has 40 games with 1 exclusive - with games going as far back as 2015.

I mean, I guess it's okay if you compare it to the 360/PS3 launches.

I could see it being useful for MMOs but if I have to rebuy ESO for Stadia it'll be a dealbreaker unless its included somehow.
The actual launch is next year though, it's a soft launch of the product and will most likely have more games by the time it's open to everyone

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This is the thing. People will say, "well the library will grow" and that's right, but I still don't see a point where the library will be comparable to any of the consoles or PC. If you can accept that and be happy with that, then OK. But for most, I think they'd eventually want to play the games they won't have access to, and would have to buy a console or PC. Which is what I said before, in that I think Stadia should be best positioned as not a replacement for these platforms, but as a complement to them.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That so not convincing. Especially since you are PAYING for a soft-launch and buying the games on a new platform.
You don't have to since you can wait until next year without even paying for hardware, they'll be games to play though if you get it next month and big ones coming out early next year, so it's good.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the thing. People will say, "well the library will grow" and that's right, but I still don't see a point where the library will be comparable to any of the consoles or PC. If you can accept that and be happy with that, then OK. But for most, I think they'd eventually want to play the games they won't have access to, and would have to buy a console or PC. Which is what I said before, in that I think Stadia should be best positioned as not a replacement for these platforms, but as a complement to them.
This is my main concern. I'm sure Stadia's library will swell quickly, getting all next gen multi platform games and lots of PS4 gen games...

...but even that is significantly less than PS5 and XB2 will offer with backwards compatibility.Plus I still believe Sony might offer PS3 backwards compatibility through streaming (I know they do with PS Now, but I mean proper library access).

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the way people are expecting Stadia to be is like with the music services. You pay one fee a month and can play whatever you want. Just like I can listen to whatever on Spotify and it does not require me to buy the album first.

Instead people have to pay for the game and pay for being allowed to stream it without an option to also install it, making it feel like you do not own it at all.

I totally get why it works like that, but it is not going to fly and this model will change rather quickly to reach a much broader public.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
This thread made me look up their website and I'm ashamed to say, this is the first time I realized their logo is also an S.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I can totally see the appeal of Stadia. Even as a multiple console and pc owner myself. Like for example I don't have the latest RTX card, but I wanna play a game with RTX features and I don't wanna upgrade my PC for a few more years. Stadia in theory allows me to experience the game at "max" right now. It's basically like renting the highest end PC.

What would totally sell me on Stadia is if it was a hybrid system where if I do decide to play locally in the future I could do that with my library of purchased games.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize that this isn't just for the core gamer who posts here. There are tons of casual gamers who want to get into gaming but are either intimited by PC gaming or the cost of buying a console as well as which one to get. I've seen this all the time working in the retail space. Having a service where I can pretty much play on any screen I already own pretty much anywhere I go on the devices I already own is a pretty easy sell.

Plus as of right now no other service offers 4k 60 hdr streaming with 5.1 surround for the people that want that experience.

You're not telling me anything I don't know already, and my stance is still the same. Y'all acting as if I've said absolutely no one cares about this thing, which at no point have I said. If the model and messaging were different I'd argue it has a chance at being moderately successful, but as it stands I don't think it does.

More power to them obviously and with any luck I'm proven wrong.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You're not telling me anything I don't know already, and my stance is still the same. Y'all acting as if I've said absolutely no one cares about this thing, which at no point have I said. If the model and messaging were different I'd argue it has a chance at being moderately successful, but as it stands I don't think it does.

More power to them obviously and with any luck I'm proven wrong.
I am wondering which model you would have liked to see which in your opinion would be more successful