• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
People saying Stadia is a worthy replacement/substitute for a console or PC due to cost....ok, but what about the games? I'm not even talking about exclusives. Is Stadia even getting the majority of third-party games? It doesn't look that way. The launch lineup only has 2 Japanese-developed games from what I can see. I expect these things to improve, but I really don't see Stadia receiving most of the third party games out there, from indie to AA to AAA.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Stadia is a worthy replacement/substitute for a console or PC due to cost....ok, but what about the games? I'm not even talking about exclusives. Is Stadia even getting the majority of third-party games? It doesn't look that way. The launch lineup only has 2 Japanese-developed games from what I can see. I expect these things to improve, but I really don't see Stadia receiving most of the third party games out there, from indie to AA to AAA.
That can't be answered yet, but getting red dead 2, borderlands 3, cyberpunk 2077, avengers is a good start for a new from the ground up service

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The "theorycrafting" and rumor reporting prior to the initial, and second, Stadia press briefings really left this whole situation in the mud.

Google hasn't been loud enough conveying what the service actually is, due to all of this confusion because every rumor-based report prior to the reveal (short of Jason Schreier) kept using the words "Netflix for games," sometimes with a period, sometimes with a question mark, sometimes with an exclamation mark, but so often that people just... accepted it.
THIS THIS THIS

All the confusion about what Stadia actually is comes from the pre-release theory crafting + Google not being crystal clear about how you buy games during the reveal. I remember trying to explain after that event to people on the forum that you'll probably at least have an option to buy games outright and a couple posters actually pushed back on the idea that would be possible. It didn't even cross a lot of people's minds that you might be able to do that and that's on Google being weirdly secretive and vague about how you'd actually acquire games on the service. But since then, Google has been pretty clear about how the service works (minus some frustrating minor details and what would actually be there at launch).

All that said, I can't argue against the fact that they haven't been loud enough about it to dispel all the pre-reveal rumors (and again that reveal event could have been clearer). Part of me thinks that's because this Founder's edition launch is definitely a soft launch and they don't want to put all their marketing hype behind it until it's been stress tested, the free tier is available, and the service has all the features they originally talked about.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's true, but how long did it take to overcome all the bad PR and internet rage? Like another 5 years? I feel like they are just now out of that hole.

Oh yeah, I feel they truly started to right the ship around the the Xbox One S. Post Scorpio and Game Pass is them getting a sure footing.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That can't be answered yet, but getting red dead 2, borderlands 3, cyberpunk 2077, avengers is a good start for a new from the ground up service
I don't think so really. These are big marquee names to attract people but beyond those, what's there? I suppose it's fine if you're only interested in a few AAA games?

Epic Games Store is getting all of those (except Avengers as far as we know) and that still doesn't get the bulk of releases on PC despite operating for almost a year and having a much-more-favourable-than-the-norm revenue split, and the Fortnite userbase.

Unless you have an extremely narrow taste in games or only buy a few games a year, I don't see how Stadia covers all bases. It seems to me the best use of Stadia is complementary to a console/PC, not instead of them.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so really. These are big marquee names to attract people but beyond those, what's there? I suppose it's fine if you're only interested in a few AAA games?

Epic Games Store is getting all of those (except Avengers as far as we know) and that still doesn't get the bulk of releases on PC despite operating for almost a year and having a much-more-favourable-than-the-norm revenue split, and the Fortnite userbase.

Unless you have an extremely narrow taste in games or only buy a few games a year, I don't see how Stadia covers all bases. It seems to me the best use of Stadia is complementary to a console/PC, not instead of them.
I thought the bigger games were all you were talking about, other games will come later, it's not going to get 100-200 games on day 1

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the bigger games were all you were talking about, other games will come later, it's not going to get 100-200 games on day 1

Why would you think that when I said "I really don't see Stadia receiving most of the third party games out there, from indie to AA to AAA."

I know it won't have 200 games day one, hence why I also said I expect things to improve.

My overall point is I don't see Stadia getting anywhere even close to every third party game out there that is released going forward, and therefore for the majority of people, it can't ever REPLACE a console/PC, but would be more suited to existing alongside them.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I thought the confusion about the service was only on ERA because people didn't see the Stadia Connect. The Stadia Connect at E3 was crystal clear for me. Still, people were, and are, drawing conclusions that Streaming services will always give you full library access for a subscription fee, and it is understandable. Not correct, but acceptable.

I did a quick Google search for "stadia confuse" and found some articles about it. Most of them get confused with what I said, but some of them don't understand that Stadia Pro is like PS+ or Games With Gold and make it sound like you will have a "free" game library right away. Others make a good point about not knowing which games will be available day one on Stadia.

I do think Google can do a better job at handling their message, or trying to make it reach more people. They already have a pretty active Twitter account. They have a community manager and moderators on their subreddit that keep people well informed and updated and even created a megathread Stadia FAQs. However, there are still people on their subreddit that think it will be a Netflix for games. And Stadia also released a video about What is Stadia and How It Works, which made me aware that there will be a Stadia app. Don't know if they talked about it before.

That seems enough, right? Well, not for me. Their main links are https://stadia.com and https://stadia.com/faq, which both redirect to different pages. The former goes to Google Store, where all their hardware is sold, which is restricted by country availability. I need to change my country to skim some information, like games available at launch, which only list games that will be available at Stadia, but not launch. The latter link goes to the Google Support platform. It makes sense for Google to use their platforms, but it makes sense for me to have a single source for all this. Have stadia.com with all information needed and no restriction to information by country, but still links to Google Store for hardware and Google Support more in-depth questions.

That said, I think, and hope, they will improve their marketing until the Stadia Base is released, because I want this platform to succeed.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you think that when I said "I really don't see Stadia receiving most of the third party games out there, from indie to AA to AAA."

I know it won't have 200 games day one, hence why I also said I expect things to improve.

My overall point is I don't see Stadia getting anywhere even close to every third party game out there that is released going forward, and therefore for the majority of people, it can't ever REPLACE a console/PC, but would be more suited to existing alongside them.
People that want cloud don't need 1 service to replace everything
I want PSnow, xcloud, stadia and some cases GeForce now
All of them are cheap so it's not like you have to pay hundreds of $ for each one

I would like to have all of these services on 1 cheap device like a roku stick and just sub to whichever one has the game I want, then unsub when I'm done with it

I want to play cyberpunk in 4k, ok so I sub to stadia for a month or 2, buy and finish cyberpunk then unsub

Oh last of us 2 just released? I'll sub to PSnow for 1 month buy it and beat it then unsub

Halo infinite just released, I'll sub to xcloud for 1 month and buy it then unsub

I would save 1,200$ next gen under my dream cloud scenario, actually might would save more than that now that it sounds like next gen consoles are 500$ And I'm not upgrading my 9 year old pc

Last edited:

John64

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
So is google interested in Stadia as a game platform or they are more interested in user data? ( why not both .gif)

My prediction is that it wont be long before we see a free stadia version - (similar to youtube , ect.)
with a free game section, but you have to watch a couple of ads every time you save the game or reach a checkpoint.

This has been on my mind lately. As a data company I can't help but think Stadia is ultimately a data play rather than them wanting to be a gaming platform provider. I can imagine people seeing Google ads specific to their choices and taste in games.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Tbh, the greater mass consumer base probably could care less about 4k right now. The amount of content available is miniscule compared to 1080 upscaled.

Which sucks yes, buts that's where we are at the moment.
The greater mass consumer base has no fucking clue what Stadia is though. Casuals aren't out there wishing they could stream The Witcher 3, they're playing the mobile flavor of the month.

Stadia is in this weird position where they're targeting the most casual hardcore gamers. I don't think it has huge market potential, but then again I'm a college dropout so I'm probably wrong lol

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The greater mass consumer base has no fucking clue what Stadia is though. Casuals aren't out there wishing they could stream The Witcher 3, they're playing the mobile flavor of the month.

Stadia is in this weird position where they're targeting the most casual hardcore gamers. I don't think it has huge market potential, but then again I'm a college dropout so I'm probably wrong lol
Ya I agree. I thought I knew what Stadia was since announcement, but I didn't even know about the free version.

They need to fix their messaging/marketing for sure.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the two products are very different. Nintendo could never justify someone to buy their hardware except for Nintendo games. People never understood WiiU concept and why it would be interesting and why should they pay 300 for a new hardware. The appeal of Stadia is playing games without needing to buy a console. I believe that the lack of marketing is due to scaling infrastructure. Don't know if they could scale it exponentially if the concept is proven as a success immediately. Seems like a product where word of mouth could have a great impact as it's something that's not trivial to explain to general public but and the same time it's not expensive for someone to test. I mean, before seeing any advertisement of Netflix on big media, my family, people not that informed about tech, had a subscription.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Of course porting games to PS4 and XOne is "easy", probably done with the press of a button. Let me tell you, its not and only worthwhile if enough people buy games on Stadia, or google pays money for the ports.

In top if that including Googles promised features, like jump into any situation in a game from a link would require much porting work.
I said its as "EASY and as HARD" as porting to other platforms, but it is not some insane barrier devs arent willing to invest into. The barrier is lower to port to stadia, xbox, ps4 than it is to port to Nintendo platforms due to them sharing architecture

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Stadia is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist and serves a consumer base that has yet to appear.
I mean yeah this sounds catchy and all, but it's a bit disingenuous.

The problem: Spending tons on hardware, be it console or PC. Setting up these consoles. Installing and setting up a PC with modern hardware and drivers. Understanding how any of this shit works in the first place. These aren't issues we have, but if you even loosely know parents, friends or relatives who aren't into this, you will realize a ton of people exist who do.

Which would be: The consumer base. It exists. Take all those YouTube fans. Mobile only gamers. Browser gamers. Gamers with old PC's. Those with not enough money to casually spend it on a 400$ console & games or even more on a PC. Those who just don't wanna. There's literally millions of potential players the current market doesn't show any interest for at all, but Google does. They've been their market for ages.

So yeah, I get what you're saying, and I don't even like stadia from what I've seen, but to pretend there's no audience for it is insane. And we're not even talking about a future where every damn TV comes "Stadia compatible" (aka with a built in Chromecast), which absolutely will be on Google's to do list.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An official update from Google on Reddit informed people their shipment dates have been updated:

Some people who say they pre-ordered during the announcement have ship dates in late November and even December.

I pre-ordered during the announcement event and mine is slated to be delivered on Nov 19th. I think it has to do with where you are, what shipping speed you used, and what inventory they have in the shipment centers closest to you.

John64

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It looks like something isn't right with their shipping information. I clicked 'Change shipping address' on my order, left the address the same, and then clicked confirm. My delivery date changed from December 4-5 to November 14-15.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You can already do this with Steam Remote Play to your phone and tablet and I've already tried it. It's pretty great. You can still read most things.

But hey, if your position is "I haven't tried it and I think it is dog shit, here's my two cents about it." keep at it man, you're really bolstering your stance lmao.
"Easily the worst thing about playing Xbox games on Android phones is you really have to squint to see certain games if you have a smaller handset like the Google Pixel 4. Killer Instinct and Sea of Thieves have large characters and assets, so they're both easy enough to see. But in Gears 5 and Halo 5: Guardians, you have a tiny transparent reticle that takes up about 1% of the screen.
Small details like that are clearly visible on a big-screen gaming TV or gaming monitor, but even on the largest gaming phones, they can still be tough to discern. You'll either want to play this service on an Android tablet (if you can still find one) or connect your phone to a bigger screen."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/29/microsoft-xcloud-preview-hands-on-impressions

Who's laughing now ?

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Easily the worst thing about playing Xbox games on Android phones is you really have to squint to see certain games if you have a smaller handset like the Google Pixel 4. Killer Instinct and Sea of Thieves have large characters and assets, so they're both easy enough to see. But in Gears 5 and Halo 5: Guardians, you have a tiny transparent reticle that takes up about 1% of the screen.
Small details like that are clearly visible on a big-screen gaming TV or gaming monitor, but even on the largest gaming phones, they can still be tough to discern. You'll either want to play this service on an Android tablet (if you can still find one) or connect your phone to a bigger screen."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/29/microsoft-xcloud-preview-hands-on-impressions

Who's laughing now ?

It's just an opposing take on a paid service. Y'all aren't gonna know if you can't read it or not until you've tried it, and I've played with Steam Remote Play almost every day and know that I can read text just fine.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This has been on my mind lately. As a data company I can't help but think Stadia is ultimately a data play rather than them wanting to be a gaming platform provider. I can imagine people seeing Google ads specific to their choices and taste in games.

Of course. Google doesn't do anything that isn't about collecting and selling your data. That's their entire business model. They get you to give them your data, then they aggregate it and sell it. Stadia is a gaming data mining platform.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
mind quoting where I "accused you of having an agenda against stadia"?

pretty sure I just said people who haven't tried it shouldn't shit on it till they do.
"I haven't tried it and I think it is dog shit, here's my two cents about it."
=> Sorry I translated your post with a polite one, but yeah, that's what you did.

Funny you said that I souldn't have a view on it before testing it while you can do it because you "have played with Steam Remote Play".
So, maybe you should get off your high horse and start being less agresssive.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Of course. Google doesn't do anything that isn't about collecting and selling your data. That's their entire business model. They get you to give them your data, then they aggregate it and sell it. Stadia is a gaming data mining platform.
This is patently ridiculous; Google doesn't sell data to anyone. They use data to advertise to people.

Gaming data isn't worth that much at all; it's ridiculous to assume data collection is much of why they are running Stadia.

Google already knows you are interested in video games. Knowing how much time you spend on any given game isn't anywhere near useful enough to justify them running a game streaming service. The costs associated with game streaming dwarf any other consumer internet service.

Google will take advantage of any data they can collect about you; it's nowhere near their "entire business model" lol, especially when we are talking about something like Stadia which is built on GCP.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is patently ridiculous; Google doesn't sell data to anyone. They use data to advertise to people.

Gaming data isn't worth that much at all; it's ridiculous to assume data collection is much of why they are running Stadia.

Google already knows you are interested in video games. Knowing how much time you spend on any given game isn't anywhere near useful enough to justify them running a game streaming service. The costs associated with game streaming dwarf any other consumer internet service.

Google will take advantage of any data they can collect about you; it's nowhere near their "entire business model" lol, especially when we are talking about something like Stadia which is built on GCP.

I worded the previous post poorly in a rush. They sell ads using the data, yes. My overall point stands. It absolutely is their entire business model. They collect data and sell ads and otherwise use that data. The products they tend to kill either don't get them data they care about or don't get them enough data to make it worthwhile. But it's all about collecting data.

They are launching Stadia as they think there is valuable data they can collect. If not they wouldn't bother.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I worded the previous post poorly in a rush. They sell ads using the data, yes. My overall point stands. It absolutely is their entire business model. They collect data and sell ads and otherwise use that data. The products they tend to kill either don't get them data they care about or don't get them enough data to make it worthwhile. But it's all about collecting data.

They are launching Stadia as they think there is valuable data they can collect. If not they wouldn't bother.
The entirety of Google Cloud Platform has nothing to do with advertising. They bring in $8 billion a year directly from users (mainly business users) and they have pretty strict privacy policies in GCP so you aren't participating in their ad collection business.

Stadia is a part of GCP; it's also consumer oriented so they'll do a bit of data collection I'm sure but it's absolute nonsense to think Google is spending literally billions of dollars building out the most powerful data-centers imaginable to know how many hours people play what games.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The entirety of Google Cloud Platform has nothing to do with advertising. They bring in $8 billion a year directly from users (mainly business users) and they have pretty strict privacy policies in GCP so you aren't participating in their ad collection business.

Stadia is a part of GCP; it's also consumer oriented so they'll do a bit of data collection I'm sure but it's absolute nonsense to think Google is spending literally billions of dollars building out the most powerful data-centers imaginable to know how many hours people play what games.

It would be a lot more data than how many hours are played. You make it sound like playing games is non-essential or even worthless data, I don't see it that way. It could lead to targeted advertising in game just for starters.

Look, we don't have any idea what they could use it for. They might not even know yet. We do know the default at Google is to collect everything and figure out what to use it for. Everything we do and say is a data point to them and potentially valuable.

If it is truly walled off as you say that's great. I don't believe it.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a lot more data than how many hours are played. You make it sound like playing games is non-essential or even worthless data, I don't see it that way. It could lead to targeted advertising in game just for starters.

Look, we don't have any idea what they could use it for. They might not even know yet. We do know the default at Google is to collect everything and figure out what to use it for. Everything we do and say is a data point to them and potentially valuable.

I'm sure they'll use the data somehow. But Stadia isn't being built FOR data collection. It'd be a side benefit.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
GCP itself is.

• Control what happens to your data.
    We process customer data according to your instructions. You can access it or take it out at any time.
  • Know that customer data is not used for advertising.
    You own your data. Google Cloud does not process your data for advertising purposes.

My point being: they have an $8 billion a year business involving stuff they can't use for their advertising business which proves this idea that it's their entire business model wrong.

Google will collect data related to your usage of Stadia; that data is not worth anywhere near enough to justify the creation of Stadia. If anything it will probably mainly be used to improve Stadia itself, not improve their ad business. In fact it's quite possible that data won't be used by AdSense, etc. at all because honestly I can't imagine it would be all that useful.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I would give it a chance for it to shine. If what it promised about leveraging the cloud to perform immensely complex physics calculation its true it could change the gaming landscape. Though it probably will have to be shared among all users with latency issues in order to make technical and economical sense, while the dream of complex physics in single player experience is still very much out of reach. For now, it seems just like a move to change gaming consumption into a subscription model so gamers are locked into paying for a subscription and less freedom to buy their hardware and own their games truely.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Why wouldn't they bother? Do you think Steam doesn't make Valve enough money to make other companies want to make tons of money selling games?

Then why didn't they build their own PC games storefront years ago? They certainly could have done so.

Why wait for this streaming only solution? If it was just about making money selling games, they could do that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Then why didn't they build their own PC games storefront years ago? They certainly could have done so.

Why wait for this streaming only solution? If it was just about making money selling games, they could do that.

And if it was all about data, why make it a game streaming solution?

They could gather the exact same data with a game launcher / storefront.

Either way, you were dead wrong about their business in general, how about a "thanks for the info" and move on.

(hint: the reason they got into game streaming is because it ties into their cloud platform and they believe they can reach far more people with a streaming solution than they can a local game launcher/store)

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Not going through this again so I'll just make it simple, it's for people that like saving money while still getting to play at high resolutions and settings

Saving money? You pay a monthly quota ("higher resolutions and settings") for the service and then for the games as you would do on any other console. And some will drop more for the "Founders pack". I don't see any savings.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saving money? You pay a monthly quota ("higher resolutions and settings") for the service and then for the games as you would do on any other console. And some will drop more for the "Founders pack". I don't see any savings.

You don't have to pay the sub, and next year you don't have to buy additional hardware

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is a great launch for what it is, a beta version of a launch. Few units because they still need to set up / test the infrastructure. Real launch is next year when the free tier opens and anyone will be able to play anywhere. That is when it will really start.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
You don't have to pay the sub, and next year you don't have to buy additional hardware

You do for the "higher resolutions and settings" you mentioned. And the "free" tier (you still need to buy the games) won't be available at launch.

Look, if you support the product and are looking forward to it, kudos to you. I just don't see it's value and don't see it working in today's market. And that's without saying how confusing the messaging has been.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It is a great launch for what it is, a beta version of a launch. Few units because they still need to set up / test the infrastructure. Real launch is next year when the free tier opens and anyone will be able to play anywhere. That is when it will really start.
The xcloud beta seems to be going well so far, so pressure in on for Google ; )

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You do for the "higher resolutions and settings" you mentioned. And the "free" tier (you still need to buy the games) won't be available at launch.

Look, if you support the product and are looking forward to it, kudos to you. I just don't see it's value and don't see it working in today's market. And that's without saying how confusing the messaging has been.
You don't pay for higher settings at all. You can play every game on Ultra settings without paying a dime other than buying the game, no need to build a computer with a $1000 GPU, no need to buy a next-gen game console (that won't even be available until a year from now).

So, how has the messaging been confusing? While theoretically that's what this thread is about, the OP didn't actually make any statement about the messaging. I guess if you thought you couldn't play games at the best quality settings without subscriving to Stadia Pro then the messaging didn't work with you anyways...

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
You don't pay for higher settings at all. You can play every game on Ultra settings without paying a dime other than buying the game, no need to build a computer with a $1000 GPU, no need to buy a next-gen game console (that won't even be available until a year from now).

So, how has the messaging been confusing? While theoretically that's what this thread is about, the OP didn't actually make any statement about the messaging. I guess if you thought you couldn't play games at the best quality settings without subscriving to Stadia Pro then the messaging didn't work with you anyways...
Need a citation for that.