• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
The clarification is all over their marketing pages; they've even specifically released clarifying PR.

What more do you expect them to do?

They SPECIFICALLY addressed the "It's not netflix for games" with a round of interviews and PR back i July.

People don't read info.. they here the basics of a product and make assumptions.. Google can't really change that; but if people are interested enough to take a look at the product they'll learn pretty quickly their assumptions were wrong.

One thing they should have done is explain the business model at GDC, in March, when they officially announced Stadia. Because they didn't explain how it worked, naturally speculation ran wild. It wasn't until July where they basically had to do damage control and say it wasn't going to be Netflix for games. It is predictable that people would assume that "streaming games" might operate similarly to the major "steaming video" services. Google needed to be proactively setting expectations. Now maybe there are good reasons they didn't. Maybe they were still considering a Netflix model internally, but for financial or political reasons, had to go with the current strategy.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One thing they should have done is explain the business model at GDC, in March, when they officially announced Stadia. Because they didn't explain how it worked, naturally speculation ran wild. It wasn't until July where they basically had to do damage control and say it wasn't going to be Netflix for games. It is predictable that people would assume that "streaming games" might operate similarly to the major "steaming video" services. Google needed to be proactively setting expectations. Now maybe there are good reasons they didn't. Maybe they were still considering a Netflix model internally, but for financial or political reasons, had to go with the current strategy.
Well a netflix type service would not be sustainable financially and it would result in a massive quality drop. I think their thought was, lets announce and see what people think of the idea, and we will reveal what our plan is later. baby steps. (I am also pretty sure their talks with various devs on GDC pushed them more firmly in the way they do it now.)

undecided

Oct 27, 2017

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It is predictable that people would assume that "streaming games" might operate similarly to the major "steaming video" services.
I mean, yeah I get that people made a bad assumption, it's still a bad assumption.

In fact you have to not pay much attention to streaming video to even make the statement you just made.

People want to watch new content, they want to stream new content.. and anyone who has wanted to do that has run into the fact you generally have to buy or rent that content directly and don't get it via a subscription. Google's presentation was about new AAA 3rd party games coming to the service. 2 + 2 = it wasn't going to be a subscription.

But either way how have they not repeatedly cleared that all up? Many months before release... hell it's still not out for another month almost..and they've sold as many as they planned to sell.

Like I said, once people actually have some interest in a product they'll actually go look at the product.. read a few sentences and "Get it".. no shit people who pay little attention don't "get it", they probably aren't going to be customers.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IMO, the absolute best case scenerio for the Stadia is the Vita, in that it attracts a hardcore niche that buys nearly anything that launches on it. Nowhere big enough to satisfy AAA, but a quiet boon for indie devs, who are in a dire need of safe bets (with the PS5 and Scarlett probably won't provide due to backwards compatability).

Worst case scenario is the project shutting down before the end of 2020, with some devs handing out compensatory Steam keys.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the absolute best case scenerio for the Stadia is the Vita, in that it attracts a hardcore niche that buys nearly anything that launches on it. Nowhere big enough to satisfy AAA, but a quiet boon for indie devs, who are in a dire need of safe bets (with the PS5 and Scarlett probably won't provide due to backwards compatability).

Worst case scenario is the project shutting down before the end of 2020, with some devs handing out compensatory Steam keys.
What is this analysis based on? When this goes live in 2020 their potential customer base is anyone who uses YouTube and is in an available market. No hardware or subscription needed.

There is no precedent to this, Google can fuck it up of course but if it catches on it has the potential to be massive.

Ubisoft has said the dev cost and time is minimal, so aside from money hats why would developers not port their games to this with such a huge potential market?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

A lot of Indie stuff could run natively on most phones and whatnot though...

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that Stadia doesnt necessarily require dedicated expensive hardware.

It has years to flounder unlike the Wii U or the Vita

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is this analysis based on? When this goes live in 2020 their potential customer base is anyone who uses YouTube and is in an available market. No hardware or subscription needed.

There is no precedent to this, Google can fuck it up of course but if it catches on it has the potential to be massive.

Ubisoft has said the dev cost and time is minimal, so aside from money hats why would developers not port their games to this with such a huge potential market?
The sustained Internet bandwidth requirements, the fact that you have to use this weird alien-like contraption called a "controller" and the fact that all of the games expect you to pay money before you can play them will exclude 99%+ of your claimed userbase. From what I understand, you have to port to a Stadia-specific variant of Linux, so unless Google integrated Proton (which, considering its open source, would be an extremely sensible decision that I don't believe they've done yet) porting to Stadia will be non-trivial. I don't believe the Ubisoft claim is accurate.
A lot of Indie stuff could run natively on most phones and whatnot though...
I mean a "safe bet" in the sense of "everything that releases sells at least five thousand copies", which is something that is not true in any other notable gaming platform. Even the Switch, I would wager would have experiencing major discoverability issues right now.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The sustained Internet bandwidth requirements, the fact that you have to use this weird alien-like contraption called a "controller" and the fact that all of the games expect you to pay money before you can play them will exclude 99%+ of your claimed userbase. From what I understand, you have to port to a Stadia-specific variant of Linux, so unless Google integrated Proton (which, considering its open source, would be an extremely sensible decision that I don't believe they've done yet) porting to Stadia will be non-trivial. I don't believe the Ubisoft claim is accurate.

So your analysis is that all the information presented so far is fake news?

I assumed you were joking about them shutting down in 2020 after spending probably billions to get this up and running

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
high speed internet is a thing in most of europe, you dont need to use their controller, and paying for games is a thing on every platform* except you don't need to buy hardware for stadia and I can play it on any screen in my house. Porting games is far less complex than you might think (porting a game to stadia is as easy and as difficult as porting a game to Playstation or Xbox) also since it uses vulkan, since there is already an industry shift happening towards that API and stadia will only fuel that harder and I am not claiming this purely on ubisoft

* A netflix model is financially unsustainable for video games and would have resulted in a crash of value for games.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
high speed internet is a thing in most of europe, you dont need to use their controller, and paying for games is a thing on every platform* except you don't need to buy hardware for stadia and I can play it on any screen in my house. Porting games is far less complex than you might think since it uses vulkan, and there is already an industry shift happening towards that API and I am not claiming this purely on ubisoft

* A netflix model is financially unsustainable for video games and would have resulted in a crash of value for games.
I tried to explain the Netflix thing to everyone in here, made a whole thread about it and I got blasted

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the free version sounds dope.

Imagine if Sony announced the ps5 was free, you just sign up for the service and buy your games digitally and have access to your entire library streamed from a 10tf machine to the screen of your choice. People would be ecstatic.

Same thing here you just have to start your library from scratch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine if Sony announced the ps5 was free, you just sign up for the service and buy your games digitally and have access to your entire library streamed from a 10tf machine to the screen of your choice. People would be ecstatic.

If only everyone realized this like you, but most of them are "I don't understand the need for this"

I don't understand the need to save money lol

There's people in the rumored 500$ next gen price thread arguing if 500$ is worth it without even considering that they can pay 0$ for cloud service

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm curious about Stadia but honestly if Sony announced something similar I'd be all in. They already have a great range of PS4 games, they could presumably use streaming to overcome backwards compatibility issues and get PS3 games. I know there's PS Now but I'm talking about playing games I've bought.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019

Exactly. I wish Sony would offer an equivalent to Stadia and allow your existing PS library to transfer over to it. Take all my money right now.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. I wish Sony would offer an equivalent to Stadia and allow your existing PS library to transfer over to it. Take all my money right now.
They will probably be last to the party but I'm hopeful.

I would sub to xcloud, Stadia and a Sony equivalent to get access to it all without the usual 1k I spend in console purchases each gen (Canada)

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to explain the Netflix thing to everyone in here, made a whole thread about it and I got blasted
I don't know why people think it would work.

As a developer you want top dollar for your game, with subscription services you will get a major downward trend on prices.

This will do two things:

First It might be attractive for customers but developers wont be able to invest as much in their games when your game gets sold for far less than its worth on any other platform. this will result in far less diversity, and games that are easy and cheap to develop and can earn extra money in micro transactions to become the main type of games on there. less single player titles, more money grabbers just so developers will be able to earn as much from Stadia. (look at mobile where there was a clear race for the bottom dollar just to compete and its filled with cheap almost bait garbage)

Second, if you have an all you can eat Netflix style service you will reduce developers with their game to marketing items in order to increase subscriber count, resulting again in less diversity. Only games that can grow the platform will be allowed on Stadia.

There is a reason why all you can eat restaurants wont offer the best quality food and its always the same kind of restaurant. you want your meals to be dirt cheap in order to still be able to earn money.

as I see it they did the best they could do, with offering the platform to devs to use how they see fit, you want to do a free to play game, sure, do it. you want to charge 60 bucks for high quality AAA single player games? sure! you want to do subscription type games like mmo's. all fine. the only thing google cares about it to entice gamer to pay 10 bucks a month for a 4k60fps stream and reap in the usual 30% cut* every platform holder charges.

*this is a guess, I have no idea what percentage they charge but 30% is the industry standard and I don't see them going higher or lower.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They will probably be last to the party but I'm hopeful.

I would sub to xcloud, Stadia and a Sony equivalent to get access to it all without the usual 1k I spend in console purchases each gen (Canada)
The thing with subs too you don't have to be subbed every month to every service

If xcloud and PSnow don't offer a free version you could just sub for 1 month to buy the game and play it then unsub, Sony might only release 2 good games in 1 year so you would only need to sub to PSnow for 2 months for example. Much cheaper than buying a ps5

Last edited:

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yeah I get that people made a bad assumption, it's still a bad assumption.

In fact you have to not pay much attention to streaming video to even make the statement you just made.

People want to watch new content, they want to stream new content.. and anyone who has wanted to do that has run into the fact you generally have to buy or rent that content directly and don't get it via a subscription. Google's presentation was about new AAA 3rd party games coming to the service. 2 + 2 = it wasn't going to be a subscription.

But either way how have they not repeatedly cleared that all up? Many months before release... hell it's still not out for another month almost..and they've sold as many as they planned to sell.

Like I said, once people actually have some interest in a product they'll actually go look at the product.. read a few sentences and "Get it".. no shit people who pay little attention don't "get it", they probably aren't going to be customers.

Video steaming services don't have new and original content? Netflix isn't digital Blockbuster anymore. How do you think people watch El Camino, Watchmen, Goliath, Stranger Things, Handmaid's Tale, Deadwood? This is new original content available via streaming services. I'm literally watching Chernobyl on HBO Now as I am writing this (horrific story).

But I'm not sure even matters, we are talking about an expectation that there is a library of content, new or old or original or licensed to accompany a subscription. Microsoft seems to be able to pull of a subscription service with an interesting mix of content that people are responding well to. It also deals with the fear of buying a digital copy that won't be useable if the service goes away. When you subscribe to a library of content, that's already the expectation.

You can see the peak interest in Stadia was the day they announced it. Don't you think that might have been the best time to set expectations and avoid confusion? People may have made wrong assumptions (not bad), but they were filling the vacuum that Google created with an incomplete announcement.

BbLZDJc.jpg

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017

Maybe, but isn't that what Microsoft is doing, seemingly successfully, with Game Pass? It may not be good for developers (though the evidence is mixed so far), but people seem to like it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but isn't that what Microsoft is doing, seemingly successfully, with Game Pass? It may not be good for developers (though the evidence is mixed so far), but people seem to like it.
Rumored, based of "something like netflix" which could mean a bunch of things related to streaming.
but lets say it is, MS isnt going full subscription model, they still have their traditional console with normal boxed priced games. Stadia goes full 100% streaming for their entire product

Another downside to the Netflix model is that in order for a game to be sustainable if you require them to sell your service they need to be fresh for a while, meaning at any time its a good idea to pull some games from the store and reintroduce them later to freshen up the library. there are plenty of shows or movies on netflix that they pulled. atleast with stadia the premise is that when you pay for a product you can always play it, since removing that game at any point will sour relations with devs/publishers and customers. with netflix like subscription models its kinda part of the deal since they would own your library, you are just renting and they will do whatever they need to do to their game roster in order to keep the users coming.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to play Cyberpunk on my 10 year old PC via Stadia. So what's your point? Google is too poor to put together a library of content? That pay per purchase is actually more likely to be a winning business model?
Yes 3rd party games on the level of cyberpunk will never be on Netflix style service for the price you want on release day

1st party games sure, not 3rd party AAA though

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If only everyone realized this like you, but most of them are "I don't understand the need for this"

I don't understand the need to save money lol

There's people in the rumored 500$ next gen price thread arguing if 500$ is worth it without even considering that they can pay 0$ for cloud service

This won't happen from one day to the other. The first step is for Google to provide an enjoyable experience with Stadia. After that you will see gaming comparisons from sources like Digital Foundry. Stadia Cyberpunk version for example, should surpass the PS4 and especially the Xbox One version by a considerable margin. Comparisons like this need to happen several times, where people can see how the Stadia version is better overall than the local/current gen versions. If this happens consistently, people will start to see for themselves that Stadia might be a real option. If the service sucks, then we all know how that will go.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
Yes 3rd party games on the level of cyberpunk will never be on Netflix style service for the price you want

1st party games sure, not 3rd party AAA though

Google is the second largest company in the world, if it wants Cyperpunk they can get Cyberpunk. I assume Gear is somewhat of a loss leader for Microsoft to push Game Pass. I believe in the Stadia tech, but I don't think they have a good business model, and I don't think Google is taking Stadia as seriously as Microsoft is taking Game Pass.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Literally all I care about is Destiny 2, anywhere on anything. And until the product gets better, I'm happy with that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Google is the second largest company in the world, if it wants Cyperpunk they can get Cyberpunk. I assume Gear is somewhat of a loss leader for Microsoft to push Game Pass. I believe in the Stadia tech, but I don't think they have a good business model, and I don't think Google is taking Stadia as seriously as Microsoft is taking Game Pass.
You can get it on stadia because you buy it for 60$, if xcloud gave you an option to buy it for 60$ then it would be on there day 1 too

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cyerpunk is already coming to stadia

MS is just filling gaps with gamepass to squeeze as much money out of their users as possible by providing games it is already providing trough traditional means for a low subscription fee (its like taking left overs and make a meal out of it and sell it for dirt cheap before the restaurant closes). Its a very safe service. now if they would go 100% with this and go full 100% digital and subscription model you can call it a serious strategy.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't see that I need to go all in on Stadia to enjoy what it offers. I do not know if I will buy PS5 or NextBox yet (have to wait for all of the details including price to make that decision) but from what I am feeling now I will probably do most of my next gen gaming on Xbox and Nintendo systems while briefly subscribing to PlayStation Now when Sony puts one if their first party games I want to play on that service.

Likewise, I may purchase a game here and there on Stadia but it will be on sale for at least 50% off. I will also stick to the free tier as I don't mind streaming in 1080p, especially on a 10.5 inch screen.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait wait wait, we STILL have to pay full retail for the games???

I thought it was just a sub...

Do we even get to KEEP the games if our sub runs out? Like if you buy a game, but your sub runs out you should still be able to play it locally via steam or whatever...the idea you have to pay $60 for a new game and then LOSE access to that game in a month if you don't keep your sub seems fucking insane to me.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

Do we even get to KEEP the games if our sub runs out? Like if you buy a game, but your sub runs out you should still be able to play it locally via steam or whatever...the idea you have to pay $60 for a new game and then LOSE access to that game in a month if you don't keep your sub seems fucking insane to me.
You keep any purchase and can play it at anytime but in 1080p and keep any multi player functionality

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great OP.

Also, Jason Schreier's interview on Kotaku Splitscreen with Phil Harrison on Stadia back in March was all the more I needed to know that I didn't want Stadia and sure didn't like its "messaging" when the man at the helm can't even sell it (If you look up that episode it's about 11 min in where Jason pushes Harrison on games possibly getting pulled from their server due to stats/lack of play ect.):

Phil Harrison:

"Um, and as a game in the long future, um is no longer being played much the backup still exists. The game still exists. I actually think the Stadia can preserve the future of games way more elegantly and efficiently than any other platform because we're building on a robust set of tools and technologies that are scalable into the future."

Jason Schreier:

"Unless Google decides to shut down the servers."

Phil Harrison:

"(pauses) I'm not gonna go there but um..."

Jason then pushed him on this further as how it relates to being a real concern for their readership. Harrison then hemmed and hawed over how he respects that people want to own their media and then offers mobile games.....as a defense. Jason replied 'Yeah mobile games getting pulled is one major reason players cite for not wanting this kind of delivery.' Ha.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Stadia is for free if you are fine with gaming at 1080p, so your game purchases are as safe on stadia as they are on steam, or any other digital storefront. You only pay for 4k@60fps HDR - 5.1 surround sound + some free game offerings and discounts.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019

All assuming you're fine with 1080p SDR gaming, which is pretty wack considering we have consoles out right now doing better than that.

They really shouldn't have this free and premium shit. I am guaranteed to never buy a game on Stadia because then I'm forced into paying a sub just to play a good version of it. I could be wrong but I don't think their potential market is too big.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
All assuming you're fine with 1080p SDR gaming, which is pretty wack considering we have consoles out right now doing better than that.

They really shouldn't have this free and premium shit. I am guaranteed to never buy a game on Stadia because then I'm forced into paying a sub just to play a good version of it. I could be wrong but I don't think their potential market is too big.
You also pay for those consoles, which in Stadias case you also do when you pay 10 bucks a month.
How I see it, the base 1080p60fps SDR is perfectly fine for a no upfront cost service.

Also the base specs will most likely change over time as the pro specs change as well.
I can easily see 4k60fpsUHD be the standard when the pro version will move up to support 8k /120fps in the future.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

Tbh, the greater mass consumer base probably could care less about 4k right now. The amount of content available is miniscule compared to 1080 upscaled.

Which sucks yes, buts that's where we are at the moment.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who had a sigh of relief when they announced you buy games a la carte on Stadia. PS Now is pretty great now, but in it's early days I vividly remember them doing game rentals and having to pay to be able to play a game for X number of days and I was honestly worried of Stadia going in that direction.

As for the subscription, personally I think the issue has less to do with the existence of the subscription and more of when it was revealed. The subscription aspect of Stadia in my mind is something that will likely become more enticing as time goes on, with new games being added monthly and with exclusive offers and such. Announcing it now and launching it alongside the service just wasn't the right call when your big offering is 1 game. The closest thing that Stadia could be compared to for now, is PS Plus/Xbox Live except your paying twice as much for this as you would those two. It's just not worth it now but I think they probably have a roadmap for it to improve it over time.

Last edited:

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
high speed internet is a thing in most of europe, you dont need to use their controller, and paying for games is a thing on every platform* except you don't need to buy hardware for stadia and I can play it on any screen in my house. Porting games is far less complex than you might think (porting a game to stadia is as easy and as difficult as porting a game to Playstation or Xbox) also since it uses vulkan, since there is already an industry shift happening towards that API and stadia will only fuel that harder and I am not claiming this purely on ubisoft

Of course porting games to PS4 and XOne is "easy", probably done with the press of a button. Let me tell you, its not and only worthwhile if enough people buy games on Stadia, or google pays money for the ports.

In top if that including Googles promised features, like jump into any situation in a game from a link would require much porting work.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia is for free if you are fine with gaming at 1080p, so your game purchases are as safe on stadia as they are on steam, or any other digital storefront. You only pay for 4k@60fps HDR - 5.1 surround sound + some free game offerings and discounts.

It isn't an apples to apple comparison. Stadia isn't just a digital storefront. It is a digital storefront paired with a giant server farm to render and stream games. So it has substantially more overhead than Steam. It also doesn't have a decade of history proving itself a stable and viable business. It is very unlikely that a game on Stadia and Steam in 2019 have an equal chance of being accessible in 2029. Stadia could easily overcome the issue by guaranteeing a key for purchases if they ever shutdown the service.

By launch they already corrected a lot of the disastrous promises from E3.

That's true, but how long did it take to overcome all the bad PR and internet rage? Like another 5 years? I feel like they are just now out of that hole.