• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The sub fee is the tier that has the games, theres a free tier but you will have to buy the game. Basically makes it a free console with some extra limitations. But it launches 2020

So right now, the sub tier is basically paying for early access and perhaps some games to be announced at a later date. And I think they're locking Youtube Gaming streaming behind the sub tier (?)
edit: ahh I misread! woops

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
An infuriating thing about the stadia lineup is the amount of games there that just seem like an exercise in demonstrating action games are playable with low latency online.

I'd absolutely consider jumping into this to play games like Civilization, football Manager basically turn based games. A few of these franchises could have the potential to appeal to a completely different audience Instagram of shooting straight for AAA

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
An infuriating thing about the stadia lineup is the amount of games there that just seem like an exercise in demonstrating action games are playable with low latency online.

I'd absolutely consider jumping into this to play games like Civilization, football Manager basically turn based games. A few of these franchises could have the potential to appeal to a completely different audience Instagram of shooting straight for AAA
Football Manager is a launch title lol.

They do need more game announcements though. 100% agree.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Like WiiU, I know what it is, I just don't want it because it's not interesting. But I bought a WiiU due to its 'killer apps'. Stadia has no killer app. It just has promises and hopes and dreams. Frankly I expect Sony to do a PS Now 2.0 with PS5 also that will go up to 4K.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's not really here though is it? The launch is a soft launch for beta users basically

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know when the service actually launches next year. This is essentially a paid beta test.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but this right there is what I am questioning: what market is there for people who want to play Red Dead or Assassin's Creed, but are not willing to spend $150 on an Xbox One or something? Because those people usually pick up consoles on the cheap around Black Friday a few years after launch. How big is the demographic who will spend $60 on a game, plus $10 per month on the subscription service, plus $70 on the controller, but won't spend that extra $10 on just getting a console instead?
They will just spend up to 60 bucks on the game when the service launches officially for free for the 1080p experience using an old xbox controller or whatever (you dont need the stadia controller) so you can limit the money you give google to almost 0 dollars*.

*I am pretty sure google still gets the same 30% cut every platform/store holder gets from devs when you buy a game via stadia

The demographic that doesn't want to shell out money for a console is far larger than you think, especially when next gen comes around and those 500 dollar machines are mighty expensive compared to a virtually free service. Their opening strategy isn't to convert gamers that already own a console, its to get those that are interested in the idea of being able to stream high end games at any polace in the house without cabling tethering a heavy box to the TV, or those who might want to have their kids play games in their own room without having to buy a second xbox/ps4, etc. There are plenty of potential use cases where Stadia is an attractive idea.

especially around christmas 2020 when the big boys launch I can see the existence of Stadia eating in the potential early xbox scarlett/PS5 sales. Especially if they wont have very strong exclusives. Plenty of parents will be reluctant to paying big bucks for a dedicated next gen box compared to just paying 10 bucks a month and buy them their desired 4k next gen games. Google also being willing to invest in AAA studios to either have an exclusive stadia project or add stadia to the to be developed platforms for said game will do a lot.

10 bucks a month is a veeery abstract thing, especially to those who already pay for various streaming services. its almost an invisible amount which stands in stark contrast to a 500 dollar price tag for just a big noisy box in the living room.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like WiiU, I know what it is, I just don't want it because it's not interesting. But I bought a WiiU due to its 'killer apps'. Stadia has no killer app. It just has promises and hopes and dreams. Frankly I expect Sony to do a PS Now 2.0 with PS5 also that will go up to 4K.
I hope so, it will be a much cheaper way to play the few Sony exclusives I want than buying a 500$ box just to play a few games

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
If they launched with this working in chrome day one and had a trial or one free game to try and test it on I think it could have been huge. The fact that chrome isn't day one and you have to buy something is fucking dumb.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Stadia's target audience of core gamers is the wrong market for game streaming at this time. Google should be focused on trying to expand the pie, not butting in to get a piece of the current pie. Not to mention the mess of the Founders' launch with a lack of features and purchasing options. Stadia Base should be available Day 1 as it is the way by which the vast majority of Stadia customers will buy into the platform.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If they launched with this working in chrome day one and had a trial or one free game to try and test it on I think it could have been huge. The fact that chrome isn't day one and you have to buy something is fucking dumb.
It is a controlled launch.

They will know the user numbers and can work out issues with the controller

They have shown it is capable of playing in Chrome with the project Stream beta

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
It is a controlled launch.

They will know the user numbers and can work out issues with the controller

They have shown it is capable of playing in Chrome with the project Stream beta

But I can't just open chrome right now and play something with my mouse yet. I feel that should be there day one to get people to try it. Barrier of entry is too high. Why should I buy in with a controller when I have multiple controllers already?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
But I can't just open chrome right now and play something with my mouse yet. I feel that should be there day one to get people to try it. Barrier of entry is too high. Why should I buy in with a controller when I have multiple controllers already?
This is on purpose right now to stress test, so for curious people like myself. The real launch next year will not have that barrier with hopefully a stable enviroment

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My only curiosity about stadia is game pricing and will they have sales?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's also odd that Google's doing this whole subscribe-and-then-buy thing right when Game Pass and PlayStation Now are coming in so hot.

Unless this is an Original Xbox kind of thing where Google isn't really sweating making their first pass at it a success, but Xbox's failures were more in terms of design and cost rather than user experience, which was great for the time.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If I consistently had bad internet, I would absolutely not get Stadia. I don't think anyone is saying that game streaming should be the only way to play games. Most places I go, I have > 10Mb/s internet. On the other hand, most places I go, I am not carrying my PS4 Pro with me.

I think some people are about to find out that their internet connection isn't as great as they think. It isn't about the big bandwidth number that you pay for. It's about low latency with zero packet loss or interruption.. at all.

This isn't surfing the web or downloading stuff. This isn't streaming a movie where your devices can buffer ahead to conceal flaws. This requires constant interaction with minimal latency. I have two top tier services from different providers setup to automatically fail over if latency issues are encountered. It constantly monitors and logs the smallest of issues (to both coasts and Midwest). Stuff happens every day. It's also startling how frequently issues affect both providers.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I say good luck to them but it's not for me. If it was like Game Pass I could see that but having to still buy the games digitally? No thanks.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surfing the web or downloading stuff. This isn't streaming a movie where your devices can buffer ahead to conceal flaws. This requires constant interaction with minimal latency. I have two top tier services from different providers setup to automatically fail over if latency issues are encountered. It constantly monitors and logs the smallest of issues (to both coasts and Midwest). Stuff happens every day. It's also startling how frequently issues affect both providers.
I have pretty fast service from Comcast, and just watching games download on Steam it is startling how often it just shits the bed and goes way slow. Maybe it only slows for a few seconds or a few minutes......but to have something like that interrupt gameplay or cause the video quality to noticeably downgrade would just be really irritating. Even streaming on Netflix/Hulu/HBO there's moments where video quality drops due to some kind of connection slowdown.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not certain I can say that Google bungled the messaging. What I can say is that I know enough about the Stadia to know that it's not for me.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Like I have said in the other threads, I plan to try it and see for myself if it is good or bad. I see streaming gaming as a great thing for the future, but I have good internet, no caps, and some disposable income to toss at it... so it's good for me to play around with it.

I do not see this being appealing to anyone outside of those similar to me.

If I decide to run with it, I fully expect it to get better as time goes on. With game sales, increasing library, "free" games, etc... just like other similar services. I also would expect other pricing options and sub structures, but again that will be later.

The trick will be if Google can keep the interest going till it gets to that more stable future.

I look forward to trying it regardless, or maybe I should say try it again since I already used it during beta.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
It might be a few years too early, but as someone excited for Stadia's launch I have a hard time selling the product to others.

After trying out GeForce Now, I realize how crucial and important streaming will be for gaming. But, we're in the infant stages right now.

Time will tell if Google succeeds, but I know I'll be there Day one either way.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
Like I have said in the other threads, I plan to try it and see for myself if it is good or bad. I see streaming gaming as a great thing for the future, but I have good internet, no caps, and some disposable income to toss at it... so it's good for me to play around with it.

I do not see this being appealing to anyone outside of those similar to me.

If I decide to run with it, I fully expect it to get better as time goes on. With game sales, increasing library, "free" games, etc... just like other similar services. I also would expect other pricing options and sub structures, but again that will be later.

The trick will be if Google can keep the interest going till it gets to that more stable future.

I look forward to trying it regardless, or maybe I should say try it again since I already used it during beta.
You sound exactly like me and I 100% understand your point of view. The stars are aligned for me to be the perfect person for Stadia, but I definitely see why it's not possible for everyone.

A very very niche market. For now, at least. I'm sure that market will grow over the next few years. Whether Stadia lives to see that or not is up in the air.
But this is where gaming will go in the future, I actually believe that now thanks to GeForce Now.

I'm sure we're at least a decade or two away from that though.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Stadia is free unless you want 4K resolution and surround sound. Additionally it helps if you stop thinking of Stadia as a service but more of a platform. The console is in a server farm and the AV output is sent to you over the internet.

If you are a console/pc gamer, this is not for you. If you only own a cell phone, chromebook, or other low-power device but want to play a recently released game. This allows you to do so without purchasing a console/graphics card.
Good point, honestly. Still remains to be seen if it's any good but

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you plebs with your low-speed internet and data caps. Stadia is an easy buy for me thanks to my fast fiber internet with no caps here in Beijing.

Now..... any ideas on how I convince the Chinese government to unban Google here?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Look how the gaming world shat the bed when MS's original XB1 policies were announced and folks got a whiff that gaming platforms might be threatening their ability to buy and resell games.

Now imagine a platform that goes 150 miles beyond what MS was originally planning with the XB1 at launch. Imagine who might want to buy into a platform like that where you're paying for everything at full price without even the option to buy or sell on the pre-owned games market.

The poster on the front page was right when he said game streaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and serves an audience that hasn't yet materialised.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Look how the gaming world shat the bed when MS's original XB1 policies were announced and folks got a whiff that gaming platforms might be threatening their ability to buy and resell games.

Now imagine a platform that goes 150 miles beyond what MS was originally planning with the XB1 at launch. Imagine who might want to buy into a platform like that where you're paying for everything at full price without even the option to buy or sell on the pre-owned games market.

The poster on the front page was right when he said game streaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and serves an audience that hasn't yet materialised.

You can't resell digital games bought on XBL and PSN and this gen we've seen digital go from being less than 10% of overall sales, to well over 50%, even higher in some instances today. Actually it looks like 83% of all games sales are digital now according to https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/, but i'm not really sure how accurate these stats are and what platforms it takes into account.

What most people cared about 6 years ago, is very different then what people care about today. Gamestop is struggling hardcore to stay afloat because people aren't trading in games as much. Streaming is the next logical step and all of the platforms are jumping on the bandwagon. PS Now, xCloud, GeForce Now, etc. and they're all taking unique approaches. Stadia is a console entirely built for streaming and doesn't have any baggage of existing platforms, which can be a blessing and a curse. Which one it is remains to be seen over the next couple of years.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. The posters in this thread have actually managed to make it seem like a platform that is addressing real problems. Which is great.

Except it took posters in this thread on this forum to do that, as opposed to Google communicating those benefits themselves. Which brings me back to "Wii U levels of poor messaging".

Bullshit. Where do you think those people who explained it in here got their info from? Google.
People who didn't understand Stadia either didn't pay any attention or just ignored the info that's been communicated because they immediately checked out once they heard the word "streaming".
I just watched the initial reveal stream and got all the info I needed to form an educated opinion.

I'm not certain I can say that Google bungled the messaging. What I can say is that I know enough about the Stadia to know that it's not for me.

This.
I'm not huge into PC gaming. I just upgraded my PC on the cheap after 9 years (i5 + GTX 1060) so I'll be good for the immediate future.
I also own a PS4 Pro and plan on getting a PS5 on day one so I'm not the target audience. I can see who could be the target audience, though.
Stadia might not be a hit when it launches but I think it will get a big boost once games stop releasing on current get consoles and people want to keep playing their new games without having to buy a new console for $400+.

Last edited:

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when you have Phil Harrison leading a project, in my opinion. He has never demonstrated himself as someone capable of leading something and delivering a cohesive message about the project.

Stadia will flop when it is released — there isn't a compelling use case; it's not free in that you have to buy your games to stream and that value proposition is wildly inferior to the option of either purchasing the game on a console or on PC.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
That's a pretty fucking good selling point tbh.

Access to games playing damn good performance with a few convenient features and graphics maxed out and never having to worry if a game you buy will run at its absolute best.

I played the Project Stream Beta and thought it was pretty impressive playing through Odyssey at what I believe was 30 fps on my laptop. However, having just recently played through the Spyro Reiginited Trilogy at 60 fps and max graphics settings via GeForce Now, streaming really is something else when it works. Night and day in comparison to the PS4 version with its muddy motion blur and 30 fps cap. Streaming legitimately made me enjoy the game a whole lot more as it was a lot smoother performing and a generally better looking experience. If Google could truly deliver top tier performance for multiplatform titles it would be great.

Granted, this was all using an ethernet cable on good internet with no data caps. I have my reservations with Stadia as a whole in regards to its longevity, the storefront, and game ownership, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in playing something like Cyberpunk 2077 using it when I know it's likely gonna be chugging rather hard on my base PS4.