• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Stadia is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist and serves a consumer base that has yet to appear.

How about people that just want to sit and game for a few hours and not have to deal with downloading updates. The amount of times I've wanted to sit down to quickly play a game for an hour and instead had to wait 30 minutes for a patch to download and install so I can play online is too damn high. But, sure it doesn't solve any problems. ;)

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be one of those things where you try it and it's pretty cool but then you wait out until the platforms you actually have content on gives you the ability to stream games.

Simply put, if Stadia let me run my Steam collection, I would pay for the sub without much hesitation. But since I have to now deal with another platform that is restricted to only itself,I can't see it being appealing.

Once Steam and Sony and Microsoft develop their own streaming versions, there won't be any exclusives that Stadia will offer. It's just hard to imagine a scenario where Google will have the only hand in this technology.

🤷🏽‍♂️

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
So you want the latest and greatest tech, but you don't want to spend money on it?

I am not being obtuse about it, I have laid out what I think and why I do in ~800 words in the OP. You are free to respond, if you have nothing to say, you are also free to ignore the thread.

Okay, but this right there is what I am questioning: what market is there for people who want to play Red Dead or Assassin's Creed, but are not willing to spend $150 on an Xbox One or something? Because those people usually pick up consoles on the cheap around Black Friday a few years after launch. How big is the demographic who will spend $60 on a game, plus $10 per month on the subscription service, plus $70 on the controller, but won't spend that extra $10 on just getting a console instead?

You forgot the $80 chromecast ultra.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Stadia is going to Bomba and I can't be convinced otherwise. I have beyond zero interest in this and worry about latency and data caps not to mention the horrible internet speeds across most of the US making this a non starter for most people.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Welcome to the present. If Sony or MS shuts down PSN or XBL, you'll lose access to a bunch of games, even if you bought the disc copies since most games these days require an internet connection.

This is laughably false. i can play every single game in my library without an internet connection, no problem. If all you play is overwatch you may have issues, but this isn't true for the majority of console titles.

If PSN or Xbox Live goes down for a day/week/whatever, all my games still play just fine. If I'm on vacation in a place with shitty internet (which was the case in a college town with awful hotel wi-fi), all my games play just fine. This isn't the case for Stadia.

So with next gen, you can buy a PS5 for $400-500, then omg pay $60 for all your games and play them on one device... or pay nothing and just buy your games and play them on almost any device in your home or mobile.

PS4 remote play has allowed "play anywhere" functionality on android tablets for years now. Prior to that it worked on PSP and Vita as far back as the PS3 era. I don't use it (why would I?) but some people get some use out of it.

There's no reason to pay $60 for console software unless you HAVE to play it day of release. most titles can be found for half that in a few months- or- *shocker* I can borrow a title and pay nothing.

Hardware doesn't really matter anymore since it all requires a constant network connection anyway. Google is just cutting out the middleman.

see the above. We're not yet in an environment where a constant network connection is required. Some PC games work this way due to needing constant authentication, but console titles do not.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it will succeed somehow. I want pc game with controller at 4k60fps but I don't want to bother with a pc. I have only a surface laptop.
800/800mb ready. I wish we have trials for games

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
User warned - Accusations of Shilling/Astroturfing
How about people that just want to sit and game for a few hours and not have to deal with downloading updates. The amount of times I've wanted to sit down to quickly play a game for an hour and instead had to wait 30 minutes for a patch to download and install so I can play online is too damn high. But, sure it doesn't solve any problems. ;)

What a bunch of BS. The majority of game updates are tiny and only take a few seconds.

Your account is incredibly suspect btw. You joined back in March, have only a handful of posts and after a quick spot check they look to be a bunch of Stadia shilling. Yikes.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Has there actually been any "proper" advertising for Stadia? Come to think of it, I think everything I've ever seen about it has been on Era.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Streaming is going to hit gamers like a freaking wrecking ball when someone gets it right.

I don't know who it will be. I was thinking MS but maybe its Google, hell even Sony had something where you could play your PS3 remotely didn't they? All I know is it won't be Nintendo, and that even with all this posturing, I expect hardcore gamers will be shocked by its popularity.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
lYMR7z1.png

I predict it will evolve into a Netflix model in less than a year.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm just sick and tired of the daily threads dogpiling on Stadia. Let's weit a year and see what happens. Sorry that I used this thread to vent.

To answer your questions. I' have all three current gen consoles and own a mediocre PC (i5, 1060). I can play pretty much anything I want right now. I am still excited for Stadia. I didn't have the time yet to play RDR2 and I'm really looking forward to playing it on highest settings on my TV via Stadia. Can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 next year. No upgrading. Just playing. On highest settings. I will pay for 4K every month there is a title that seems worth it. And drop back to the free plan as long as there is none. I live in Germany, have a 100Mbit connection and no data caps. I don't see the downside.
In their defense, I tried playing destiny yesterday on PS4 and it had to apply a patch and then took 40 minutes for the game to "copy" the patch before I could even boot the game.

Visuwell

Jan 22, 2019
As someone who preordered the founders editions yes, this has been an awful marketing strategy. However the subscription is a moot point over the free version roles out next year. Honestly this interim period is for all intents and purposes a beta, which is fine. But unfortunately people are going into this expecting gold when in fact they are getting pyrite

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
How about you make arguments as to why Stadia won't fail?

No one has an issue with people articulating why they think Stadia will do well, it's just that no one has come up with a compelling argument yet

It may well do really well, but that would surprise me personally as it seems like a bad deal aimed at a demographic that won't be large enough to sustain it

You might look through the other threads. There's plenty of accusations against era members who dare to say something positive.

And of course there are compelling arguments. The initial Founder Edition is for enthusiasts but starting next year the base Service will be free. Yes you'll need to buy the games. As you'll need on other platforms. I don't see monthly subscriptions that include every AAA third party release anytime soon. I have a lot of gamer friends who aren't exactly "core". They play Fifa and CoD every year and the occasional big Release like GTA, The Witcher or AC. They really don't care for the platform. In fact most of them couldn't care less. The moment they realized that they could play all these games without investing in hardware, most of them got pretty excited. We have a weekly boardgame club and casual gaming talk during the last month was mostly about stadia.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Stadia is a very interesting concept and it's definitely where gaming is headed but I feel they're a bit early...The world isn't ready for an all out "cloud console"( America isn't the world)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
lYMR7z1.png

This exactly. the "who is this for??" is strong here.

Also noteworthy- the PS5 and Scarlett have a built in audience large enough that everyone will be making exclusive software tailored specifically to their strengths, both first and third party. Stadia doesn't have that marketshare to convince third parties to do so, nor are there first party studios cranking away at titles designed to show off next generation.

What we see on the PS5 and Scarlett at launch is going to obliterate this thing.

Stadia is a very interesting concept and it's definitely where gaming is headed but I feel they're a bit early...The world isn't ready for an all out "cloud console"( America isn't the world)

American internet infrastructure is TERRRRIIBLLE

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So it's of no value to me until next year?

True, I did forget about the online fees. To be completely clear, there is no subscription fee on the "base" tier, right?
Well, yes.

That's the point. Instead of buying new hardware for your games, Google buys the hardware and you get the benefit when they upgrade, no changes on your end needed.

For the free tier especially, it's a way to play games without the hardware investment every X years.

That's if it has long term support, which is key because a generation busting service won't work if it doesn't last a generation.

That's where things fall a bit because unlike xCloud or PSNow, Google aren't known as really committed in the gaming space. If they are and the streaming tech continues to improve, it'll be viable. If not, Google have a habit of dropping things.

Personally, I think Google are not going to compete with the established players once they come out with full cloud based solutions.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
What a bunch of BS. The majority of game updates are tiny and only take a few seconds.

Your account is incredibly suspect btw. You joined back in March, have only a handful of posts and after a quick spot check they look to be a bunch of Stadia shilling. Yikes.

Whatever you say chief. That has not been my experience the last 2 years on PS4. Even with auto-update enabled.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
lYMR7z1.png

Since we meming can someone who knows photoshop make one for PC? Wealthy enough for a gaming PC, too cheap for PS+/XBL, not too cheap to buy $60 games, only interested in multiplatform games. And in the middle, PCMR guy.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
But those games aren't out yet. The only games I can play on Stadia are games I can already play elsewhere. There is literally no exception to that.
Why am I buying into Stadia? If it's aimed at the enthusiast gamer, they have done a terrible job with their pitch.

It's not aimed at enthusiasts. It's aimed at everyone else. I think Google is fucking up by not making this a Netflix-style service, but that can be changed. Ideally before Microsoft launches xCloud-powered Game Pass.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This exactly. the "who is this for??" is strong here.

Also noteworthy- the PS5 and Scarlett have a built in audience large enough that everyone will be making exclusive software tailored specifically to their strengths, both first and third party. Stadia doesn't have that marketshare to convince third parties to do so, nor are there first party studios cranking away at titles designed to show off next generation.

What we see on the PS5 and Scarlett at launch is going to obliterate this thing.
PS5 and Scarlett have a built in audience size of zero. It's a massive stretch to assume that people will just jump from one to the other. We know people take years and years to jump from one gen to the next, so an option which means you don't have to buy a console will be appealing for the overwhelming majority who don't upgrade for years precisely because of the price of the box.

Of course that assumes that it fundamentally works, getting unlimited high speed internet isn't a problem and people aren't holding out for PS/XB exclusives. A lot has to fall into place for it to be a success, but the opportunity is there. And that's ignoring the fact that because of the low cost of entry, I'm sure many people will play Stadia games in addition to their main console, people who wouldn't usually buy multiple consoles because of, again, the cost.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Google knows the gaming market. They know most can't and won't help themselves. Sure there will be huff and puff online but watch how quick folks be willing to drop drawers and open they wallets real quick for it.

If the tech works it's going to be huge. No one cares about physical ownership. We buy hardware just to not own the games.

This is the next logical step.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not aimed at enthusiasts. It's aimed at everyone else. I think Google is fucking up by not making this a Netflix-style service, but that can be changed. Ideally before Microsoft launches xCloud-powered Game Pass.
The goal should be to have both, because if we can't buy our games individually then stadia wouldnt be getting red dead 2 on the same day as pc

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
no local hardware therefore no downloading
google takes care of the upgrading of hardware
full price for games like on any other platform because devs worked hard and want to get paid. I don't get how people are expecting free/ cheaper games for it
quality depends on internet, distance to servers, etc
Not meant to be a new system with loads of exclusives, but just another way to play games

you have crap internet, data caps or no interest in streaming then stadia is not for you, simple. However, at some point, streaming will replace local hardware eventually, so better get used to it :)
1. Yeah but streaming is still downloading
2. Yep, without any garantee they will do it at any moment
3. No problem with full price game either. (I must admit, in France, physical games at launch are cheap so it means increasing the price of the game for me.)
4. and your router quality and if someone launch a streaming video at the same time
5. the big problem, for me, is that you don't have the PC library. You basically have some third party AAA library, which is a small library.

6. I think global warming will hit those companies before that.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smartphones and tablets have been a platform that has dominated every aspect of our life. The only area that it has been lacking in is in Triple-A games. Tons of people have always asked "damn, wouldn't it be sick as fuck to play Destiny 2 on this road trip, or waiting for my flight?" I happen to be one of those people! I travel frequently, and Stadia would be right up my avenue. I was even in the alpha tests last year and it was incredible to play AC via my browser.

So it makes sense for Google to want to target those consumers, because there are millions of them. And there is probably even more in the south east asian countries where owning hardware for your games doesn't really make sense, because, for example in South Korea, most people who play games go to a gaming cafe and sign in for a few hours and that's how they do it. Stadia introduces another avenue for people to play those games without having to buy an Xbox One or PS4 or PC.

And the million dollar question is - what happens if Stadia fails?

Google will probably collect so much data from Stadia that it will not matter if it fails and they have to close it down. Either way, they profit off of this project.

I also found this tweet interesting, given that many people say there is no interest or marketing for Stadia.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I think it's fine. Maybe they should have both. Consider how long it'll be before Endgame comes to Netflix in every country, meanwhile I can buy or rent it off Google Play Store.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
PS5 and Scarlett have a built in audience size of zero. It's a massive stretch to assume that people will just jump from one to the other. We know people take years and years to jump from one gen to the next, so an option which means you don't have to buy a console will be appealing for the overwhelming majority who don't upgrade for years precisely because of the price of the box.

Of course that assumes that it fundamentally works, getting unlimited high speed internet isn't a problem and people aren't holding out for PS/XB exclusives. A lot has to fall into place for it to be a success, but the opportunity is there. And that's ignoring the fact that because of the low cost of entry, I'm sure many people will play Stadia games in addition to their main console, people who wouldn't usually buy multiple consoles because of, again, the cost.

Pretty much. The value prop against next-gen consoles is clear. Do I want to pay $60 and play the latest next-gen game, or do I want to pay $500 + Online Subscription + $60 to play the same game.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Question: if I already own a PS4 or Xbox One controller, I also already own the console. Why am I not just playing Red Dead or Assassin's Creed there? Especially since I can probably pick up a cheap used copy from GameStop or something if I am so concerned about cost savings?
? I don't need a PS4 or Xbox One to have a DS4 or Xbox controller and RDR2/Assassin's Creed on Stadia will be 4k60fps.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
to put it even more simple
I rather pay 10$ to play cyberpunk in 4k than 800-1000$
Since when is a PS4 or Xbox One $800-1,000? I am genuinely curious where you got that number. Next gen systems are likely going to be anywhere from $399-499, so if we add $60, the most you'd spend on a next gen console and Cyberpunk is $458.99-558.99. That and we don't even know if Cyberpunk is coming to nextgen consoles.

Sure, you can get it on Stadia for $60 and stream the game, but if you have a datacap and are playing in 4K 60fps with HDR, you're going to eat up your datacap fast. If you don't have one, then that's great. But, that's not the majority of the audience.

I don't get who Google is marketing Stadia towards. I think the majority of people who want to play games like Cyberpunk, RDR2 and more own a PC, PS4, or Xbox One. I don't think there's a massive market of people who want new triple A games, with top graphics and gameplay who don't own a console or PC. I've seen posts on the Stadia subreddit of people selling their consoles for Stadia, a service that hasn't even proven itself. Right now, the founders edition seems more like a paid beta, with a full launch in 2020.

I just don't get it.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Since we meming can someone who knows photoshop make one for PC? Wealthy enough for a gaming PC, too cheap for PS+/XBL, not too cheap to buy $60 games, only interested in multiplatform games. And in the middle, PCMR guy.

Photoshop gives us too much power

On topic though Stadia will be great for people like me who love games and cares enough to likely pick up a PS5 at launch but can't justify upgrading my PC to a gaming rig & thought it would be years before I played something like Cyberpunk at max settings.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Even forward, the library won't be the PC one, at all.
Google has said that it's working with over 4,000 developers to bring games to Stadia. That's a whole lot of games, and Stadia could potentially be cheaper to developer for since it's one configuration vs hundreds for PC.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm sort of baffled at their strategy for launching this but I'm also kind of viewing it as a trial run for them. But the idea they're pitching seems more aimed at the masses while the people getting the message are the core gaming audience who already have consoles and are skeptical of streaming.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia is free unless you want 4K resolution and surround sound. Additionally it helps if you stop thinking of Stadia as a service but more of a platform. The console is in a server farm and the AV output is sent to you over the internet.

If you are a console/pc gamer, this is not for you. If you only own a cell phone, chromebook, or other low-power device but want to play a recently released game. This allows you to do so without purchasing a console/graphics card.

So wait, it's not for a console/pc gamer, but you can pay to play in 4K? On what, my phone, or having my phone hooked up to my 4K TV like a console?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smartphones and tablets have been a platform that has dominated every aspect of our life. The only area that it has been lacking in is in Triple-A games. Tons of people have always asked "damn, wouldn't it be sick as fuck to play Destiny 2 on this road trip, or waiting for my flight?" I happen to be one of those people! I travel frequently, and Stadia would be right up my avenue. I was even in the alpha tests last year and it was incredible to play AC via my browser.

So it makes sense for Google to want to target those consumers, because there are millions of them. And there is probably even more in the south east asian countries where owning hardware for your games doesn't really make sense, because, for example in South Korea, most people who play games go to a gaming cafe and sign in for a few hours and that's how they do it. Stadia introduces another avenue for people to play those games without having to buy an Xbox One or PS4 or PC.

And the million dollar question is - what happens if Stadia fails?

Google will probably collect so much data from Stadia that it will not matter if it fails and they have to close it down. Either way, they profit off of this project.

I also found this tweet interesting, given that many people say there is no interest or marketing for Stadia.

I think the consumer you describe would benefit much more from xCloud because they can still play locally. Google creating a streaming only service with no option for local play at the same price as its full featured, much more established competition is a recipe for failure.

Would I rather pay $60 for a game and be able to play it locally on my Xbox AND on streaming on my mobile device or on my PC? Or would I pay the same price for a streaming only option, on a platform with a much smaller player base? Google just doesn't offer an attractive option vs the competition, period.