• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
I've been subscribed to Stadia since day one and the service is great; it's not without its cons but overall I've been pretty happy. Library is growing very slowly so I'd suggest you complement Stadia with something like Geforce Now or Gamepass. I'm always surprised at the hate Stadia gets around these parts, I'd say try the free trial they offer and go from there!

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I pay the $5 a month for GeForce Now. I've been playing all the games with ray tracing (minus Minecraft). It uses an RTX T10. I played through Control and Quake II RTX. Shadows of the Tomb Raider looks amazing. I have Metro Exodus queued up next. Then Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing November 18th!

I think the only thing Stadia does better is the HDR, and I don't even use that on my phone.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There are very few games. I did the free month 2 months ago, launched it once, couldn't find anything to play that I haven't played or wouldn't play.

Never launched it again.

Try the trial tho. The technology is actually great, works really well. The library is just terrible.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose it depends how much of a gaming enthusiast you are.

With Stadia, you'll be missing out on a tonne of next gen games.

Furthermore, Stadia's experience just isn't as good as local gameplay, whichever way you spin it. There's much more latency, so games will often feel a little 'off' even with that 100 mbit connection, and any drops or dips in service quality (on your line directly, or at any point in between yourself and the stadia server) will result in a negative impact on the games visual quality and responsiveness.

As far as playing on your old 1080p TV goes, I don't think you'll miss all that much. At the end of the day, a bump in resolution and colour fidelity affects such a tiny portion of the experience that you take away from playing a video game. I've played plenty of games in 4K or 1080p, and while there's usually a small but noticable difference in visual quality, I'd never really say it affects whether I'm having a good or bad time overall.

The most exciting aspect of next gen systems are the SSDs and faster load times, and overall benefits to performance and graphical fidelity. All of which you'll still benefit hugely from on your older TV. Higher resolution in-game assets will look better on your TV, faster framerates will look more fluid.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The most exciting aspect of next gen systems are the SSDs and faster load times, and overall benefits to performance and graphical fidelity. All of which you'll still benefit hugely from on your older TV. Higher resolution in-game assets will look better on your TV, faster framerates will look more fluid.
This has actually been my most loved feature about Stadia. The entire platform is run on SSDs so things like launching a game and loading times are all extremely fast. Comparing the recent Series X loading times for current gen games with the loading times on Stadia for the same games show them pretty much neck and neck. It's a great incentive that every game on the platform runs on SSDs so you don't have to shell out the additional 200ish dollars if you want to expand your storage like on next gen consoles if you want to keep the same fidelity that the onboard storage has.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pay the $5 a month for GeForce Now. I've been playing all the games with ray tracing (minus Minecraft). It uses an RTX T10. I played through Control and Quake II RTX. Shadows of the Tomb Raider looks amazing. I have Metro Exodus queued up next. Then Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing November 18th!

I think the only thing Stadia does better is the HDR, and I don't even use that on my phone.
For me personally, I find GeForce Now's streaming technology itself to be less optimised than Stadia's. They need more internet speeds than Stadia, and I can tell - I notice temporary resolution drops and colour banding a lot more on GFN.

That said, GFN beats out Stadia by a mile in terms of value for money and the business model. I just wish all the publishers hadn't been so reactionary and pulled their games when it exited beta.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
For me personally, I find GeForce Now's streaming technology itself to be less optimised than Stadia's. They need more internet speeds than Stadia, and I can tell - I notice temporary resolution drops and colour banding a lot more on GFN.

That said, GFN beats out Stadia by a mile in terms of value for money and the business model. I just wish all the publishers hadn't been so reactionary and pulled their games when it exited beta.

Try out lowering to 720p60fps. It's a lot more consistent experience