• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
So last weeks I been thinking alot between getting a PS5 or Series X in November as I currently dont own a console or gaming PC

Then I stumbled across Stadia

I have a 1080P TV, an office with 34" 21:9 1440P screen and access to new smart phone annualy and been enjoying alot to play android games with clamp controller (dont hate on me) and 100 MBIT connection

I dont like subscribtion models at all so Xcloud is not an option. With Stadia I could play on all 3 of my deviced which I value alot. Cons: lacking library

Question: with the lackluster support from google, is it low chances Stadia will have a big library of games? It cost me only 100 bucks to get a stadia premiere edition where I am

Or should I "limit"myself to get a next gen system for some 500 bucks and have it only used on my somewhat old TV (guess performance mode will still be ok for 1080p)

If Stadia would have all third party games with current business model (buy the game, not subscription), it would be an easy choice for me

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its really cheap to try out Stadia - why dont you give it a shot and decide for yourself if its a satisfying experience ? Might be enough to hold you over until you make up your mind about next-gen consoles.

Because if you are looking for Stadia as an alternative you probbaly arent that sold on these new systems either.
What will you do when they shut it down?
Same he will do when MS, Sony or Nintendo shut down their gaming related services.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Just try Stadia for free 2 months. I did, and I am not going back sadly.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Honestly Google has such a history of shutting down everything that doesn't sell. And Stadia is in that 'zone' right now.. If you go that route I would really recommend going with Amazon tbh

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So last weeks I been thinking alot between getting a PS5 or Series X in November as I currently dont own a console or gaming PC

Then I stumbled across Stadia

I have a 1080P TV, an office with 34" 21:9 1440P screen and access to new smart phone annualy and been enjoying alot to play android games with clamp controller (dont hate on me) and 100 MBIT connection

I dont like subscribtion models at all so Xcloud is not an option. With Stadia I could play on all 3 of my deviced which I value alot. Cons: lacking library

Question: with the lackluster support from google, is it low chances Stadia will have a big library of games? It cost me only 100 bucks to get a stadia premiere edition where I am

Or should I "limit"myself to get a next gen system for some 500 bucks and have it only used on my somewhat old TV (guess performance mode will still be ok for 1080p)

If Stadia would have all third party games with current business model (buy the game, not subscription), it would be an easy choice for me

It will all come down to the games you want to play. Stadia has been increasing the library of available games every month, but it has a lot to improve when it comes to releasing most important games at launch. Hopefully Stadia will start using Windows instead of Linux to run their games, just like Amazon Luna will do. This would greatly reduce the porting effort developers have to do.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
But Stadia is a subscription too?

More sane idea is to get Game Pass Ultimate, stream it using Xcloud on your phone, and then inevitably get one of the Xboxes when you realize streaming is still shit.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I mean, the tech is solid and there's a free trial, but I'd say the biggest issue (other than whatever actual problems it has now) is that Google hasn't yet proved that they understand how gaming works at all, let alone shown any real commitment to the project even though it must cost them a not entirely insignificant amount of money. If you're comfortable getting in bed with an ecosystem like that, by all means, give it a shot. I'm sure for some people the service is ideal the way it is.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd personally opt for a Series S and stream that to my phone. You get the benefit of a machine that can play games locally, and that you know will be supported by third parties.

I know it's been out for 12 months, but Stadia still feels like such an unknown.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I thought Stadia was a subscription model..guess that shows how much I've paid attention to it.

Anyhow if you're that dug in against sub models and/or a $500 console my suggestion would be a Series S. Try the 1 month gamepass trial, it has Xcloud which wipes the floor with Stadia in every way. If after a month you don't like Gamepass just cancel it and you still got yourself a highly capable and somewhat portable next gen console for very cheap.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand why you'd do that. Xbox streaming offers titles included in the package as does PS Now. Stadia you still have to buy titles for a platform that may go poof whenever with no ability to ever access them again. Amazon's service looks better thought out.

Amnixia

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Stadia is terrible, (performance, price etc) wait for the AWS streaming service.

xCloud should come to Mac/Pc at some point so once Microsoft releases that it's probably the best pick.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
google just released new hardware that does not support stadia out of the box. I mean, you really want to put your money into it?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Stadia is terrible, (performance, price etc) wait for the AWS streaming service.
Stadia performance is terrible? Legitimately not my experience. It's gasping for air in almost every other area but the performance is the one aspect that's been solid.

Really? Admittedly I've just been going off anecdotal reports online of its performance, no personal experience with Stadia.
Yeh. It's the shame behind it all because between it and competitors it's been the standout for me when speaking strictly to performance of streaming a game. Obviously just falls short in most other areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Google means death!

I'm kidding, you do you. Though I don't think the library will be vast enough. And there's the risk of losing your content though hopefully Google gives enough of a heads up when that happens.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it. I have gigabit ethernet, bought Stadia at launch, and almost never use it. You will regret your purchase. It doesn't load anywhere near as fast as next-gen consoles, and the games don't look better either.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I am still able to play all the games I own on my Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony consoles when they shut down their businesses.

How will it work with Stadia?
Im obv. talking about streaming related stuff - and no you wont be able to play your games when MS or Sony shut down GamePass/PSNow etc.
Thats how it is with every service.

Not saying that its likely but lets not act like having access to whatever game now via service means that its gonna be the case forever.

Amnixia

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Stadia performance is terrible? Legitimately not my experience. It's gasping for air in almost every other area but the performance is the one aspect that's been solid.

I hear that, compared to xCloud, it has less graphical fidelity and a much higher input lag?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean... what will you be playing? you're not gonna have access to sony, microsoft and the vast majority of multiplat 3rd party games.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
If you're doing streaming, Stadia wipes the floor with xCloud. Much faster to launch, better performance, at least where I live in the US. Not to say xCloud is unplayable but Stadia seems to clearly be better tech at the moment.

As to the larger question, it just doesn't look like Stadia will be getting the full slate of new releases, and they have no first party to speak of yet (a couple games early in development). If you KNOW that the games you want to play are coming to Stadia, then sure, go for it. But you're also missing out on all first party Sony and all first party Microsoft. That's like 40 top gaming studios that you don't get to play at all, plus spotty 3rd party support, plus all the questions around Google's commitment. I just can't imagine using it as your primary platform unless you play only games from known Stadia partners like Ubisofta and are dead set against a console to the point that even $299 is too much.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I hear that, compared to xCloud, it has less graphical fidelity and a much higher input lag?
Was the opposite to my experience and I went through the entire preview program. That's not to say I would push OP to Stadia nor suggest it's ahead when viewed as a whole - xcloud is a fantastic offering and you could get four months for the price of one game. Just that Stadia insofar as streaming a game has long been solid.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Will Stadia be able to run all the games going into the next generation? My gut tells me I'll get a more stable gaming experience over the next 7 years with dedicated hardware, though happy to be proven wrong.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Google regularly kills products. I wouldn't trust them to keep a purchased library in Stadia past a couple years

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia has been out for almost a year. Look at the lackluster support it has gotten. It's lacking most of the promised features. It barely got any of the bigger games released this year, and the ones it got had performance
issues and usually got a delayed release.

Amazon's Luna, Psnow or XCloud are safer bets on my opinion.

Deleted member 8688

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stadia tech is pretty awesome but it just doesn't have the library yet.

I've been clearing levels of Celeste over the past few days with no perceptible lag or streaming artefacts. It's kind of mind blowing. I also really like the controller.

I could honestly go Stadia only if the library was better.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP I kinda feel like you're the exact type of person that Stadia is made for so probably just give it a shot.

Most of us are kinda traditionalist in our preferences for dedicated hardware — we're going to be bound to quite quickly try and shut down everything Stadia has to offer to someone like you who is currently without a dedicated gaming device. Beckoning us to talk you out of it is something we're already predisposed to do, generally — but we're coming from a perspective where most of us haven't really thought of what it's like to not have a dedicated gaming device in our gadget lineup.

Your being able to play across the current devices you own is pretty cool, though I've never used it myself so I can't give you testimony about its quality.

At the end of the day, I hope you are able to play and enjoy some games... I don't care what types of games you play and how you play them.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017