• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be there when Stadia launches?

• Yes definitely!

Votes: 222 7.5%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,828 62.0%
  • Maybe later when the free service is live

Votes: 898 30.5%

• Total voters

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
In the future when its got all the games STEAM has i can see myself using it a lot. Its still puzzling to me how latency isn't going to be a big issue. But I can see STADIA complementing my other gaming habits, when it has games I can't get on my 1 or 2 other platforms I use. Its certainly quite cool.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In the future when its got all the games STEAM has i can see myself using it a lot. Its still puzzling to me how latency isn't going to be a big issue. But I can see STADIA complementing my other gaming habits, when it has games I can't get on my 1 or 2 other platforms I use. Its certainly quite cool.
What makes you think its going to have all the games steam has? Publishers have to specifically release their games on Stadia, this will involve new licensing deals, etc. It's never gonna have all the games steam has.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just don't get why Google aren't trying a game pass like subscription service at this point. People will probably start to trust Google in the long run if Stadia turns out to be a thing in the next 5/10 years, but right now it's not easy to simply investing on making a collection of bought streaming games.

First, I think we're basically past the licensing/"ownership" distinction. If you buy games digitally, you're engaging in the same intangible transaction whether you're downloading binaries or streaming video. The publisher/distributor has the same responsibility to you. So this idea that you're not actually "buying" anything for $60 when you stream is not true. I've got a library of amazon videos which I "own" but can only stream. This is not unusual.

On the question of a "game pass"-like subscription, there's nothing stopping Google from doing this. I personally would not want it to replace the $60 model because I want to be able to play new games on day-1. This "Netflix of Games" idea always ignores the fact that movies take like 6-9 months to go from theatrical premiere to streaming. The economics of this were never going to work out for new AAA games.

More importantly, publishers are doing their own streaming subscriptions on Stadia. Ubisoft already announced UPlay+, and I'd be surprised if EA didn't follow up soon with EA Access on Stadia. Probably Google rolling their own "game pass" subscription would be needlessly competitive with some major partners they want to make happy on their new platform. Also they're not yet in the position to offer 1st party games through their own monthly deal the way Microsoft can.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I had my Founder's Kit preordered before the announcement conference was over. I am more excited about Stadia than I am about other next-gen systems.
Same, I've been buying these consoles for decades and would love something that could change the cycle.

The added bonuses is people freaking the fuck out about it.

If it flops, I'll pick up a PS5 or Scarlet Dien the line.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
if there is crossplay/save between stadia and pc, i would be more interested
as of now, not really.

This is not something that's going to happen automatically, it requires developer support. But Google is promoting crossplay/crosssave hard, they're calling it a standard feature of next-gen. Whether developers agree remains to be seen.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious but not £120 curious. If I could somehow test it before hand to see how it runs and then buy the founders pack I would but I don't think that's happening is it ?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What is *not* next-gen about Stadia? What do you think the PS5 and Xbox Two will be able to do that Stadia can't? And where did you read about a serious amount of input and video latency, can you share a link? Because Digital Foundry tested an early version at GDC, and its latency from button press until seeing the reaction was only like 20ms slower than an XBox One X.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-google-stream-gdc-2019

Stadia is gaming over IP. Video, audio, and input are being sent across the internet between you and Stadia's servers.

Figure out the round trip latency in ms to the Stadia datacenters from your home network and add it directly to your video latency. Add half of that to your input latency.

It's that simple. I"m sure in special conditions, like a demo at GDC, you can get those numbers pretty low but your ISP is not going perform as well as the demo scenario.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
First, I think we're basically past the licensing/"ownership" distinction. If you buy games digitally, you're engaging in the same intangible transaction whether you're downloading binaries or streaming video. The publisher/distributor has the same responsibility to you. So this idea that you're not actually "buying" anything for $60 when you stream is not true. I've got a library of amazon videos which I "own" but can only stream. This is not unusual.

Nah this will always be a point of contention regardless of how much you don't want it to be. As intangible as digital downloads are, streaming is even more intangible. Going digital only was already going in the wrong direction and this is even worse. As far as digital movie libraries, sure Amazon sucks, but iTunes and Vudu allow downloading of movies and frankly the majority of my digital movie library came bundled with physical discs that I bought anyway, so win-win there.

You can't just say people are fine with digital downloads so they should be fine with this. It doesn't work that way

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I dont support Google and I am sure as hell not supporting streaming games that you have to buy with no guarantee that when the service closes I'll actually have a game.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I'm curious but not £120 curious. If I could somehow test it before hand to see how it runs and then buy the founders pack I would but I don't think that's happening is it ?

You can use a PS4 or Xbox controller and just a chrome browser.

What makes you think its going to have all the games steam has? Publishers have to specifically release their games on Stadia, this will involve new licensing deals, etc. It's never gonna have all the games steam has.

Then a lot of the games STEAM has perhaps? I mean from a certain point forward. If STADIA is popular then I devs will make games on it.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already have 16TF computation and I don't have to stream any stupid video, so no thanks

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
You can use a PS4 or Xbox controller and just a chrome browser.

Then a lot of the games STEAM has perhaps? I mean from a certain point forward. If STADIA is popular then I devs will make games on it.

But that's next year no ? The only was to play it this year is the founders pack right ? I'm saying I would buy the founders pack if there was a way to demo this year.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
It'll have to become *very* popular for a dev to design a game *for* Stadia. More likely they'll just keep making games for a broader public, ie for Consoles + PC + Stadia. It's built for the lowest common denominator, ie consoles currently.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Until they reduce input lag more, I probably won't touch it. Too many games require precise inputs and even a slight delay is annoying.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered it because I am curious. I entered the GeForce NOW beta because I am curious. It's BOGGLING to me how threatened people seem by the concept of game streaming, especially where Stadia is involved. And good news for everyone, the latency thing is more or less figured out. At least in my testing of GeForce NOW, latency is unnoticeable most of the time, I expect it will be only better with Stadia. I am saying this as someone who doesn't play counterstrike or APEX professionally, of course.

If you already have a better than average PC, you aren't necessarily the target audience.

If you have poor bandwidth or a bandwidth cap, then potentially you aren't the target audience.

If your brain stem tells you physical media is always better, then that's not really a logical argument, but it's fine, you are not the target audience.

If for some reason you have blind allegiance to a particular brand of rectangular box that plays the games you love, then that's not a logical argument, but it's fine, you are not the target audience.

That's no reason to look down your nose at an emergent tech that has the possibility of making gaming more accessible and convenient than it has ever been before.

I can't bring myself to turn on my PS4 anymore, it's an old, clunky, and the sounds that come out of it are louder than the game volume I typically play at. We had a great run, but that time is over.

I have a pretty updated PC, I love using it, but I also work from home 100%, share my office with my cat's litter box (UGH)... after 8-10 hours M-F, I just can't bring myself to come sit back down in this office at my computer at the end of the day after my kids go to sleep. Also, 80% of the people I game with do not have PCs, so things like borderlands, destiny, etc.... it's just not in the cards for me to play that type of game there. Also, the only time I play games offline is if I am using my switch handheld in an airplane or something... the always online component is not a deal breaker for me.

Stadia offers a change of pace for someone like me. Happy to take a look at it. They may fail to deliver. If they do, that's OK, I can return it, or just keep it for the hardware goodies. I'll have something to tinker with for a few months until the Next Big Console comes out. Then I'll buy whichever rectangular box looks the most promising, and try that out as well. Anything is better than turning on my jet engine PS4.

If Stadia does deliver, then it's another great option for gamers. I really like the idea of hardware that will evolve over time without me having to purchase a new rectangular box.
Best and most level-headed post in the thread, maybe even on the whole board. Thank you for taking your time posting! :)

I agree on pretty much everything you say, for me it's exciting times when any new gaming tech launches so I can't relate to the negativity seen here. Once the pricing and hardware specs was announced I instantly preordered. I'm not as excited as when new consoles are launched but to me this is still a really big deal. It's not perfect though but I'll enjoy trying it myself instead of just reading about it, I find the tech super interesting and the idea that the hardware can be stacked if needed and will evolve over time sounds awesome to me. And as you mention... No jet engine! :D

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The hardware, it seems to be in line with the next consoles.

The current gen base consoles are just the lowest denominator, the games aren't actually built for those, that's why we're now seeing 720p games late on the generation.
I think games are often built for PC these days, then gets downported to consoles, except for the exclusives of course. And I don't see this changing much with the new consoles.
the issue is youre only thinking in the graphical sense. games are built for jaguar CPUs. so again there's not really anything you'd be playing on stadia that is a taste of next gen. it's all stuff that plays exactly the same on ps4 and xbox one

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is PC players have been playing next gen consoles for years?
Well, yeah. 10+ TF with ray-tracing capabilities isn't something a core PC gamer is drooling about. Multiplats will look and run better on a PC you can buy today and even better on a PC you're buying next year. But there will absolutely pop up impressive games that excites everyone no matter how powerful their PC is. RDR2 is still the most impressive game I've ever seen and I've only played it on the Xbox One X.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Idk, the more I think about it the whole pitch seems weird to me for the 4k/5.1 audio subscription. Like, the sub is for people who have a nice 4k display and nice speaker set ups...but why would I want to run a compressed version of a game with lossy audio on my $1500 TV and $2000 sound system?

The 1080p stereo entry tier makes sense to me from a play on yr chrome book or tablet on the go kinda position. But the 4k/5.1 sub as an alternative to a console or a high end PC, like surely the people with nice expensive set-ups that can take advantage of that would much rather run games natively with no artifacting, no additional latency, and with full quality audio.

I feel like the latency issue gets brushed aside too often as well. We're definitely talking about a perceptible amount of input lag. I know it depends how sensitive you are to it, and some of you monsters are playing with motion smoothing at 100+ ms latency. But for me, the difference between, say 20ms and 40ms is very noticeable, ESPECIALLY with a mouse.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Nah this will always be a point of contention regardless of how much you don't want it to be. As intangible as digital downloads are, streaming is even more intangible. Going digital only was already going in the wrong direction and this is even worse. As far as digital movie libraries, sure Amazon sucks, but iTunes and Vudu allow downloading of movies and frankly the majority of my digital movie library came bundled with physical discs that I bought anyway, so win-win there.

You can't just say people are fine with digital downloads so they should be fine with this. It doesn't work that way

I literally can say it.

But the only thing that's going to make a real difference is time. Yes, if Google shutters Stadia after 2 years, not only will a lot of people say I told you so, but the entire business model will be screwed for decades. Similar to if Steam had shutdown in 2007, it would've been a cautionary tale for digital distribution to this day.

The consumer electronics market tendency is toward thin, low power devices of all kinds. Phones are eventually going to be flexible OLED panels. Wearables are just getting started. It's going to get to a point where not only AAA games, but any kind of rich, colorful, animated user interface will not be tenable for native rendering. It'll be much more common to stream a rich interface to a watch display or a pair of glasses. I don't think cloud-rendering is going away any time soon, and that's why it's strategically important for Google to make it work with games now. Today it's games, soon it'll be AR applications for all kinds of people.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How about *right now* play games with the low input lag and image clarity that Stadia might achieve in five to ten years? Live in the future, today!

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So what you're saying is PC players have been playing next gen consoles for years?

Is there ever a time when this is not true? Sleeping Dogs on PC in 2012 was more next-gen than Watch Dogs on PS4 in 2014. New consoles are a moment when a lot of rendering techniques built up through a "generation" are finally feasible for mass audiences. But they're incrementally improving on PC all the time. This is something that's exciting about Stadia: all players will benefit from incremental advancements. There won't be any need to talk about generations except in terms of techniques like shaders, texture streaming, physically based rendering, raytracing, etc.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there ever a time when this is not true? Sleeping Dogs on PC in 2012 was more next-gen than Watch Dogs on PS4 in 2014. New consoles are a moment when a lot of rendering techniques built up through a "generation" are finally feasible for mass audiences. But they're incrementally improving on PC all the time. This is something that's exciting about Stadia: all players will benefit from incremental advancements. There won't be any need to talk about generations except in terms of techniques like shaders, texture streaming, physically based rendering, raytracing, etc.

The problem is that all the software built for PC has the weak consoles as a base so no matter how much you can turn up the effects/resolution/framerate the games still will not be as technically advanced as the games in the next generation. On the other hand, RTX is something that PC currently will do better than the next gen.

And the same is true for Stadia. Games will not take the leap we traditionally see with next gen consoles. They will just look like there PC counterparts so it's really not the same as what next gen consoles will offer unless you are talking about the inevitable 4k ports of games.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Best and most level-headed post in the thread, maybe even on the whole board. Thank you for taking your time posting! :)

I agree on pretty much everything you say, for me it's exciting times when any new gaming tech launches so I can't relate to the negativity seen here. Once the pricing and hardware specs was announced I instantly preordered. I'm not as excited as when new consoles are launched but to me this is still a really big deal. It's not perfect though but I'll enjoy trying it myself instead of just reading about it, I find the tech super interesting and the idea that the hardware can be stacked if needed and will evolve over time sounds awesome to me. And as you mention... No jet engine! :D
The guy said almost nothing positive about Stadia except that he thinks it's something interesting to play with between consoles and that it might be capable of make him able to game in the living room instead of his office. A Steam link could've done that. Aside from that he listed a bunch of groups that wouldn't have any use for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Idk, the more I think about it the whole pitch seems weird to me for the 4k/5.1 audio subscription. Like, the sub is for people who have a nice 4k display and nice speaker set ups...but why would I want to run a compressed version of a game with lossy audio on my $1500 TV and $2000 sound system?
Because the alternative is buying a new $400 console just because you want to play a new hot game people are talking about. I meet people almost daily who think some games looks awesome and would want to play them but aren't interested in gaming enough to invest in a new console.

But I definitely think the Base subscription will be bigger. I see the Pro subscription as subbing to Netflix Premium while Base is like Netflix Basic. The majority will think 1080p 60fps with stereo sound is perfectly fine and if Google start providing demos so anyone could get a quick try on a game just by clicking on a link in a browser it'll blow up like nothing before it. Not sure yet if they'll do that though.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I literally can say it.

But the only thing that's going to make a real difference is time. Yes, if Google shutters Stadia after 2 years, not only will a lot of people say I told you so, but the entire business model will be screwed for decades. Similar to if Steam had shutdown in 2007, it would've been a cautionary tale for digital distribution to this day.

The consumer electronics market tendency is toward thin, low power devices of all kinds. Phones are eventually going to be flexible OLED panels. Wearables are just getting started. It's going to get to a point where not only AAA games, but any kind of rich, colorful, animated user interface will not be tenable for native rendering. It'll be much more common to stream a rich interface to a watch display or a pair of glasses. I don't think cloud-rendering is going away any time soon, and that's why it's strategically important for Google to make it work with games now. Today it's games, soon it'll be AR applications for all kinds of people.

Paper thin phones are bout as terrible an idea as paying $60 for a game you can only stream. So that just tells me Google is just trending towards bad ideas all around

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely trying it out, I wanted one of the fancy chromecasts anyway so I'm basically viewing the bundle as a way to get that + a weird new controller

It's probably going to be how I play Cyberpunk next year too, since I have nothing that can run raytracing right now. Hoping they get Control, too. The current slate of games is pretty eh.

Whether I'll keep it around once the PS5 is out, I dunno, but I'm not writing it off. I think there's more than enough room for it to enter the market.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Because the alternative is buying a new $400 console just because you want to play a new hot game people are talking about. I meet people almost daily who think some games looks awesome and would want to play them but aren't interested in gaming enough to invest in a new console.

But I definitely think the Base subscription will be bigger. I see the Pro subscription as subbing to Netflix Premium while Base is like Netflix Basic. The majority will think 1080p 60fps with stereo sound is perfectly fine and if Google start providing demos so anyone could get a quick try on a game just by clicking on a link in a browser it'll blow up like nothing before it. Not sure yet if they'll do that though.
Right, but why would the casual-non gamers give any fucks or notice any difference between 4k vs 1080p. Like, if they dont even play videogames, and are marginally interested in games occasionally maybe, a monthly sub for 4k videogames doesn't make much sense either, they'd probably be fine with the "free" 1080p stereo version.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I see the Pro subscription as subbing to Netflix Premium while Base is like Netflix Basic.

Is anyone supposed to take comparisons like this seriously? I'm sure Netflix Premium would've done *great* if you only got *1* movie per month. Not to mention Netflix Basic where you'd have to buy every movie for full price to even be able to watch it.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The guy said almost nothing positive about Stadia except that he thinks it's something interesting to play with between consoles and that it might be capable of make him able to game in the living room instead of his office. A Steam link could've done that. Aside from that he listed a bunch of groups that wouldn't have any use for it.
In short he was surprised that people was so threatened by it and he wasn't scared to try it out himself and see what it's all about. I'm the same. I have no idea if it'll be great but I'll be there day 1 trying this new exciting tech for myself instead of just listening to some jaded gamers who moan and complain about milliseconds of latency on something they've likely never even touched. And I'm always online and I have really fast internet and the nearest Google server is almost close enough for me to see it. I see no reason at all to not try it.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone supposed to take comparisons like this seriously? I'm sure Netflix Premium would've done *great* if you only got *1* movie per month. Not to mention Netflix Basic where you'd have to buy every movie for full price to even be able to watch it.
It was a comparison for the image quality. Not everyone who use Netflix see the need for Premium. Not everyone who use Stadia will see the need for Pro. You're essentially getting a free always up to date "console" with free online gaming, having to buy games full price will be no issue. And there is always UPlay+ for those who want to subscribe to a library of games. More services will likely come if Stadia becomes popular.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In short he was surprised that people was so threatened by it and he wasn't scared to try it out himself and see what it's all about. I'm the same. I have no idea if it'll be great but I'll be there day 1 trying this new exciting tech for myself instead of just listening to some jaded gamers who moan and complain about milliseconds of latency on something they've likely never even touched. And I'm always online and I have really fast internet and the nearest Google server is almost close enough for me to see it. I see no reason at all to not try it.
Um, what? Moaning and complaining about milliseconds of latency? You make it sound like youre just brushing aside latency concerns. The tests digital foundry did reveal pretty significant latency from the beta, even if they've improved it a bit, it will absolutely still be a deal breaker for a lot of people. The difference between 20ms and 40ms is absolutely perceptible to me, and Stadia seems to add significantly more input lag than that. Like, if Stadia adds even just an extra 30ms, that's a huge deal breaker for me, no way in hell.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Paper thin phones are bout as terrible an idea as paying $60 for a game you can only stream. So that just tells me Google is just trending towards bad ideas all around

These are industry-wide trends:
WSJ said:
Apple is likely to drop LCD displays altogether in its 2020 iPhone lineup in favor of organic light-emitting diode displays that allow for more flexible handset design, people familiar with the production plans have said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-...r-bailout-after-iphone-xr-letdown-11548144689

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I'm 200Mbps up and down and being in the Netherlands there's no doubt going to be servers near me. I tried weighing the pro's and con's because of Orcs Must Die! 3 but next to no pro's for me and some very significant negatives. If the game comes out for anywhere over 40 I may just wait out the exclusivity period or see if it happens to come along in the monthly sub because I struggle to see why I'd spend even that on the service, and that's still accepting I'd be fine with the quality the free sub offers.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
There's basically no next-gen software though. One of the big missed opportunities of Stadia - a year early, but more or less nothing built to show off the hardware.

+1 to this. not to mention no games that really take advantage of the cloud's capabilities.

Google decided Mexico is not worthy of Stadia, so no.

You might try Nvidia GeForce now. I played it on communal wifi in CDMX and had no issues. Now back in the USA and getting tons of stuttering.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Um, what? Moaning and complaining about milliseconds of latency? You make it sound like youre just brushing aside latency concerns. The tests digital foundry did reveal pretty significant latency from the beta, even if they've improved it a bit, it will absolutely still be a deal breaker for a lot of people. The difference between 20ms and 40ms is absolutely perceptible to me, and Stadia seems to add significantly more input lag than that. Like, is Stadia adds even just an extra 30ms, that's a huge deal breaker for me, no way in hell.
The test DF did on AC Odyssey actually showed identical latency as AC Odyssey running natively on Xbox One X. Have you played that and what did you think about it? Personally I have zero issues, I've even played it on a projector which adds another layer of latency, still no problems for me.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The test DF did on AC Odyssey actually showed identical latency as AC Odyssey running natively on Xbox One X. Have you played that and what did you think about it? Personally I have zero issues, I've even played it on a projector which adds another layer of latency, still no problems for me.
Uh, the article I read by DF has AC odyssey with about 35 extra ms from the xbox one X, and 66ms extra than running the game at 60fps on PC. We are certainly in deal breaker latency territory for me here. If you dont mind, thats great, but it's odd to act like nobody else knows what they're talking about, like none of us have messed around with different displays, game modes, and latencies and can tell the difference. People aren't just pulling numbers out of their ass.

Edit: I see the article you mean. Even still, that latency on the xbox one x is craaaazy high, I wouldnt be OK with that either tbh. Also they arent measuring the latency of the chrome book, which is likely even lower than the LG TV.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I don't have good enough internet to play without significant latency. I may use it for turn-based stuff though eventually.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Considering Stadia a next-gen console? That's far fetched.

Yeah. Absolutely none of the game footage they've shown thus far seemed like a whole generation leap. They merely looked like current-generation games but with everything set to "max".

As for Stadia: I'm out from the start. I'm allergic to input lag, and as if modern games themselves didn't already have enough input lag within them, we're going to be adding another layer? Thanks but no thanks.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm far more interested in seeing how Stadia does in the market than using it myself.
It's certainly going to be more interesting. I definitely see streaming as a part of the market but I don't think Google is part of it. I very much think Microsoft has a better shot.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
In what sense is it far-fetched? Do you think it will not get multiplatform games equivalent to those of PS5 and Scarlet?
Multiplatform, sure. Though that generally means PC games that are also on PS/Xb (often indies). Are we expecting any of the MS/PS exclusives to be coming to stadia anytime soon? Those are likely to be the frontrunners in the first few years of a new console generation.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I mean that just means the entire industry is trending towards awful paper phones :)

But I don't have any issues with streaming as a technology, I think streaming is great, the benefits are obvious and every platform holder should offer streaming as a component of their platform. I just think Google's business model is terrible. There are multiple things which would get me to buy into Stadia

Buying full price games as downloads with a streaming component. If I say buy Watch Dogs 3 on Stadia and it comes with a key to download the game to my PC via Uplay, then great I'll take that offer because that is a reasonable offer.

Gamepass Style service, If I can pay a sub and get access to about 50-100 games. That's great I'd sign up for that

Rentals: Pay a nominal fee to rent a game for a few days. I'd probably actually do that quite often

Heck they can even keep streaming only full price purcahses.

But the main thing is, it's about providing consumers choice. That's how you win people to your platform. Not by going "well this is the only thing we offer so take it or leave it" Google has the technology no doubt about it, but they are bungling the business side of this so badly. And that's why I'm skeptical

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Multiplatform, sure. Though that generally means PC games that are also on PS/Xb (often indies). Are we expecting any of the MS/PS exclusives to be coming to stadia anytime soon? Those are likely to be the frontrunners in the first few years of a new console generation.

Stadia is not next-gen because it will not get Playstation and Xbox exclusives.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
In what sense is it far-fetched? Do you think it will not get multiplatform games equivalent to those of PS5 and Scarlet?

I think Stadia will be powerful enough to host next-gen mulitplat games, but this year it's just existing generation software.

If Microsoft or Sony launched their next gen systems with only cross-gen games, with no next gen exclusives, it would a) be a first and b) leave them open to the same criticism.

The idea of a next generation is as much about software as hardware, and the idea of software beginning to jump up to a new baseline. Nobody expects all software to be next-gen only overnight, but you at least expect a next-gen console launch to get the ball rolling on that transition with some showcase software. Usually it's first party that has to lead on that, and take up that responsibility, and unfortunately Google has not invested in that in time for launch.

So Stadia could be a next gen platform, eventually, but its status as such this year, or as offering next-gen 'early', this year, is questionable.