• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume Google will be working on a new soft launch with a much stronger offering and more appealing product to sell.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
today i learned that 98.6% don't own a playstation 4 because they are poor and not due to a million other reasons

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see this on this forum a lot and it's just such a hilarious, sheltered, privileged point of view.

The world's population is 7.3 billion people.

The PS4 has sold 100MM consoles.

That's a penetration rate of 1.4%

That means 98.6% of the world doesn't own a console. And most of them will never be able to afford to own one. The untapped market for cloud gaming is huge.

What does this have to do with anything?

If one percent of China gave me a dollar, I'd be rich.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The average global per capita income is $9,700/year. A $500 console is like buying a brand new car for the average human being.

Again, such a hilariously privileged and ignorant take.

Please stop, you sound like someone who just learned how to google things and found a nice soapbox at the same time. An "average human being" means jack shit without context whatsoever.

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO at everyone posting google already abandoned it when Google has been on a complete Stadia hiring spree, are acquiring studios, are building contracts behind the scenes with ISPs, just announced time exclusives and over 100 games coming this year and have yet to launch their main business model (free).

What else have they done aside from acquiring Typhoon Studios? They only established their own development division under Jade Raymond in March 2019, so it stands to reason they're probably a couple of years from releasing any games actually exclusive to the platform, which is the most baffling thing about all this.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
The average global per capita income is $9,700/year. A $500 console is like buying a brand new car for the average human being.

Again, such a hilariously privileged and ignorant take.
Lol the average human being couldn't give two shits about playing console or pc video games.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
That's the whole idea of Stadia. Its to make it accessible so people who wouldn't give two shits otherwise.

Im not saying it'd work, but that was at least the whole point.
People don't care about console/pc games because they don't have any interest in playing console/pc games. Accessibility isn't why over 95% of people in the world don't play console/pc games.

I should say console since who knows what percentage of people who own PCs actually play games.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
That's the whole idea of Stadia. Its to make it accessible so people who wouldn't give two shits otherwise.

Im not saying it'd work, but that was at least the whole point.

That's the idealistic point, sure, but I'd say the main goal from Google's POV is "how do we get more money from game advertising"

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is what I've never understood about Stadia. How big is this supposed untapped market of people who want to play full on console games but aren't willing to buy a console?

That market is already playing touch screen mobile games on their phones and they love it. Are they really going to grab a twin stick controller and play Red Dead 2 just because they don't need to buy a console now?

I just don't see where this supposed growth Google is talking about is going to come from.

I don't understand what is so complicated from this. It's not just Stadia talking about lowering the barrier of access to play games. You will hear Microsoft talking the same way about cloud gaming. Cloud gaming is all about lowering the barrier of access to play games. As you mentioned these are people that use their phone to play but they cannot access traditional console games from there. So honestly even if 5% of that group of people start buying consoles games, we are talking about of millions of new sales for games. Why is that a problem somehow? Even on consoles you understand how sales increase when the price goes down from $400 to $300 right? Can you say why is that?

"We know that the first customers for xCloud are going to be people who own an Xbox. It's going to be, 'Oh, I want to play my Xbox when I'm away.' Last month, Catherine [Gluckstein, chief of staff/strategy for Xbox] and I were in Africa. Not a lot of Xboxes in Africa. Not a lot of game consoles. 1.2 billion people on the continent of Africa. Average age is 19 on the continent. They know Fortnite, they know Halo, they know Gears of War. They just don't have a device.

There are gamers there, but the device they have is an Android phone. So today they are kind-of locked out of what an E3 is -- outside of watching -- because of the capability they have.

When I think about the two billion [gamers worldwide], which is a number that has tripled over the last two decades, I really think about how we service the two billion who play today with as much content and services as we can offer, but also go to places like Africa. I was looking at some of the PUBG mobile numbers in India and they're crazy -- they've had 100 million downloads or something. You see these markets where gaming can grow to the next two billion or even more.... There are seven billion people on the planet. For me, I think they should all play video games."

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't care about console/pc games because they don't have any interest in playing console/pc games. Accessibility isn't why over 95% of people in the world don't play console/pc games.

I should say console since who knows what percentage of people who own PCs actually play games.
I misunderstood you then, you were responding to someone who was saying how the vast majority of people can't afford to get into gaming. So when you responded I assumed you were talking about them.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

That is a really reductive argument. It should be obvious that it's not just because of the price, that is just one factor among many, but instead of disregarding it as something that doesn't even exist, why don't we acknowledge that it is a pretty big limitation? There are 2 billion people playing games out there and most of them are on mobile. What Microsoft, Sony and Stadia are trying to do, is reach that market and remove the barrier of having to buy a console. It should be obvious to you how sales increase for consoles as they reduce in price right? That right there is a pretty good indication on how the price of a console is a barrier. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo haven't sold 300 million current gen consoles combined and there is a lot of overlap specially with the Nintendo Switch. If they manage to convince at least 5% of that group of 2 billion gamers, to buy traditional console games, we are talking about adding 100 million more customers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe they'll turn it around, but as of right now it's so satisfying seeing the Stadia presentation and thinking it will flop and there is no market for it, then seeing people argue against that for months, only to be proven right in such a decisive manner

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I'm sure Google are looking further down the line than the first few months of launch. It's not a traditional platform.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I was literally at an event sponsored by Stadia last night and they gave a little speech and everything.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Phil Harrison three-peat. Now it only needs to do something at Nintendo and the circle is complete.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
That is a really reductive argument. It should be obvious that it's not just because of the price, that is just one factor among many, but instead of disregarding it as something that doesn't even exist, why don't we acknowledge that it is a pretty big limitation? There are 2 billion people playing games out there and most of them are on mobile. What Microsoft, Sony and Stadia are trying to do, is reach that market and remove the barrier of having to buy a console. It should be obvious to you how sales increase for consoles as they reduce in price right? That right there is a pretty good indication on how the price of a console is a barrier. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo haven't sold 300 million current gen consoles combined and there is a lot of overlap specially with the Nintendo Switch. If they manage to convince at least 5% of that group of 2 billion gamers, to buy traditional console games, we are talking about adding 100 million more customers.
They have to buy a controller to start playing console games correctly. Whatever device they use as substitute controller might be a deal breaker.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They have to buy a controller to start playing console games correctly. Whatever device they use as substitute controller might be a deal breaker.

Also a lot of mobile gamers play games on their phone on the go, in short bursts, or while doing something else

It's going to be a hard sell to get someone who only plays match 3 games when they have time to kill to start playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey with a gamepad, more so when they need to buy the gamepad, and pay up front for the game

I don't believe there are a ton of people who would love to play console and PC style games, but don't because they dislike the idea of getting a console/PC

The vast majority of mobile gamers are mobile gamers because they like mobile games and mobile games suit their needs. The idea that they're a gateway drug to "real games" and all we need to unlock the market is to remove the console barrier, just seems misguided

Stadia bombing backs that up

Streaming will appeal to the same people who already play console and PC games, if and when the experience is as good as native hardware, and currently the experience is worse, so there isn't a good enough reason for most people to ditch their own hardware

This was obvious to me within 30 mins of seeing the Stadia presentation. They set themselves up for failure. This was never going to work

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't feel too sorry for her. She is, without a doubt, making bank right now and probably has a golden parachute nice and ready in the event she needs it.
Jade Redmond will be fine and live a better life than most of us, at least financially. No worries there.
Just to be clear: I wasn't having concerns over her financial situation.

To be fair, Google has many VPs like other big corporations.
Yeah, but it will help her get a good opportunity afterwards.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If you supported this, then you have no one to blame but yourself
Ok? The value for the cost of entry is fantastic, more so because I play Destiny.

By the time my founder's 3 months expire, I have 8 games. One of which is exclusive (Gylt) the other was console exclusive for the time it released (Samurai Shodon). I also picked up Darksiders which was consumed exclusive as well.

My experience with the tech had been any amazing. If it had my ps4 library on it I would get rid of my slim and pro consoles without hesitation.

Even with the founders edition needing a Chromecast, it is the cheapest entry to a new "console" in the last few decades.

Yes Google communication is abysmal.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Sure, it might be a deal breaker for some, but do we disagree on that buying a controller is a lower barrier of entry compared to buying a console with a controller?

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
It was the Montreal Game Developers Demonight. Stadia opened a studio here and then bought an already - existant one (Typhoon Studios). So they sponsored this industry event. The product is far from dead. Google bought these studios knowing that they won't be producing products for at least a few years. Also, the free version still isn't out yet.

I don't get what's with this whole "Stadia is dead" fanaticism, it's just weird to me.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
but they can afford high speed internet with unlimited download?

my take isn't the one that's ignorant and privileged

This is funny.

I pay 40 bucks for 1GB optic fiber with unlimited download and upload. That's even cheaper than what my parents pay for god awful internet because they are far remote and there is no proper installation to get anything better.

Good net is about infrastructure and healthy competition. Don't think America is reflective of the rest of the world.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I see this on this forum a lot and it's just such a hilarious, sheltered, privileged point of view.

The world's population is 7.3 billion people.

The PS4 has sold 100MM consoles.

That's a penetration rate of 1.4%

That means 98.6% of the world doesn't own a console. And most of them will never be able to afford to own one. The untapped market for cloud gaming is huge.

What does this have to do with anything?
"Everyone in this thread is so sheltered and privileged and ignorant lol btw I believe literally every human has unlimited access to high speed internet."

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It was the Montreal Game Developers Demonight. Stadia opened a studio here and then bought an already - existant one (Typhoon Studios). So they sponsored this industry event. The product is far from dead. Google bought these studios knowing that they won't be producing products for at least a few years. Also, the free version still isn't out yet.

I don't get what's with this whole "Stadia is dead" fanaticism, it's just weird to me.
It's part schadenfreude, part people feeling vindicated, but also a lot of gamers are really averse to change. These same threads popped up for EGS all the time.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is copy and pasting a reddit thread actually a thing here? It's not even like the OP added anything beyond it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Sure, it might be a deal breaker for some, but do we disagree on that buying a controller is a lower barrier of entry compared to buying a console with a controller?

Sure, but you know what is an even lower barrier to entry? Selling games that don't require a controller at all.

There is a ceiling for complicated games that require a twin stick controller that has nothing to do with tech and everything to do with complexity. I'll give you we don't know where that ceiling is, but it is obviously not the entire population of earth as others have contended.

My point earlier was simple, I think reaching this huge "untapped" market is far more likely through mobile gaming than through cloud streaming of complex AAA games.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Also a lot of mobile gamers play games on their phone on the go, in short bursts, or while doing something else

It's going to be a hard sell to get someone who only plays match 3 games when they have time to kill to start playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey with a gamepad, more so when they need to buy the gamepad, and pay up front for the game

I don't believe there are a ton of people who would love to play console and PC style games, but don't because they dislike the idea of getting a console/PC

The vast majority of mobile gamers are mobile gamers because they like mobile games and mobile games suit their needs. The idea that they're a gateway drug to "real games" and all we need to unlock the market is to remove the console barrier, just seems misguided

Stadia bombing backs that up

Streaming will appeal to the same people who already play console and PC games, if and when the experience is as good as native hardware, and currently the experience is worse, so there isn't a good enough reason for most people to ditch their own hardware

This was obvious to me within 30 mins of seeing the Stadia presentation. They set themselves up for failure. This was never going to work

I don't understand the "Look at the amount of people that don't do something arguments". We could be spending all day talking about how just a fraction of the 7.8 billion humans on earth currently buy consoles. Instead of wasting time with that, we should talk about how even though a relative small % of humans buy consoles, it can and is a successful industry. Why is it so difficult to understand that just a small percentage out of the 2 billion smartphone gamers buying traditional console games would easily double the current market for console games? Just 5% would mean 100,000,000 additional customers for developers. Look at that number while you also notice how the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch combined don't reach 210 million. Again, on that example we can spend all day talking about how JUST 100 million out of the 2 billion will buy games and play them at their house or wherever a good Internet connection is available, but whats the point?

You can see on the poll below how most people report having a good experience with a service like Stadia and things will continue to improve from here. So if the technology has been shown to work, what is the argument here exactly? The idea of lowering the barrier of access to something and seeing the demand increase because of that, should be clear to anyone here. Is it weird to anyone that console sales increase when the price is reduced? Do you know why that happens instead of sales staying the same after lowering the price? If you can understand that then it should be obvious that if someone only has a smartphone and an internet service that qualifies for Stadia, the barrier of access is a lot lower compared to buy a console and the game, instead of just buying the game on Stadia.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but you know what is an even lower barrier to entry? Selling games that don't require a controller at all.

There is a ceiling for complicated games that require a twin stick controller that has nothing to do with tech and everything to do with complexity. I'll give you we don't know where that ceiling is, but it is obviously not the entire population of earth as others have contended.

My point earlier was simple, I think reaching this huge "untapped" market is far more likely through mobile gaming than through cloud streaming of complex AAA games.
This is true but it's not one or the other. Stadia doesn't need to be as gigantic as mobile gaming to be a success.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Do you only buy games that don't require a controller at all? You know, because they have a lower barrier of entry? How about we talk in real terms here. It is no coincidence that smartphone gaming is the largest market out there, in number of players and revenue, but you and me know what console games can offer and even though we know there are cheaper options, we buy console games because of the quality of the experience. If you just spend a minute looking at the current library of smartphone games, you will see how there are multi million download shooters and RPGs. We can have a better discussion than pretending that all of them play candy crush and traditional console games a just too complicated for smartphone gamers. This market has not been given the opportunity at a large scale of buying console games on a cloud gaming service, Stadia has not launched on all regions and is currently only available on Pixel phones. Xcloud is currently on beta. I think anyone that says that once a cloud gaming service is available that does provide a good experience for millions of smartphone gamers, will not immediately generate a big increase on traditional console games sales, is willfully blind. What is the point of pretending Stadia and other streaming services wont eventually be available on all regions and most smartphones? What is the point of pretending internet speeds wont continue to improve over time? What is the point in pretending that cloud gaming does not work right now?

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Bingo

All they had to focus on was make sure you could easily cast any mobile game to any display. Essentially using the mobile as the console platform, which everyone already has. No need to stream the games.