• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty... its a good thing if Stadia dies. Streaming should never become the primary way to play games. If Google fails at it, it will scare other big tech companies from trying to bully their way in again.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This clusterfuck has been so entertaining to watch. It's like a massive train wreck in slow motion. It's absolutely unimaginable how they can be so uncommunicative and just pretend to move along as if nothing happened. It's unreal.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
To be honest I don't expect much from them till the day they reveal the free version. That's when it truly matters whether google has a viable console option on their hands or not.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They've said there's 150 games coming in 2020 and there's been a Unity update to support Stadia. I imagine that the games will be ramped up ready for the full launch with more devices and the free tier.

Still not something I'm interested in, but I'm sure they'll see out another couple of years.

So far, games haven't left the tier. They just keep being added.

I was given a buddy pass a couple of weeks ago and all the games added since launch are there.
Tom Raider left Stadia Pro. You can keep it if you claimed it, but if you didn't you can't. Samurai Shodown and Rise of the Tomb Raider are leaving in 3 days, same deal.
NxQutW6.png

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Google cannot really launch a product properly, they always do early betas, A/B tests and whatnot, which kills consumer hype.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
They can't even figure out how to launch dark mode on the Gmail iOS app. They've been rolling it out since SEPTEMBER 2019 and like half of users don't even have it and regularly complain on the Gmail and iPhone subreddits.

I just don't get google sometimes, a behemoth of a company with so much smarts and such but no idea on how to brand and market their stuff. It's a company of geeks (I mean that in a positive way) and not much else?

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The hate in here is funny. The hypocrisy is egregious.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Is the posting of "nice" some meme on here? Was just curious. Seen like 10 of that on the first page. Hopefully.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The hate in here is funny. The hypocrisy is egregious.
Google is deservingly so receiving criticism for a rushed, flawed release. With their track record of killing services (even if not consumer side), there's plenty to be weary about from consumers' and developers' views. Sure, some want it completely dead, you're going to see that. But Google ruined their launch and the only one at fault is Google. For that, Google deserves criticism pointing out their problems and false promises regarding Stadia. A lack of games doesn't help either.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I need to go "Netflix-style" to survive, if that's not in the works....yea it's on it way to the grave
I don't think Stadia can pivot to this business model easily. Right now there's (I think) 26 games released, all of which will have been developed for Stadia on the understanding that they'd be individually marketed and sold (so to add them to a subscription service, Google would need to negotiate a new contract allowing them to do that, with each publisher). They'd potentially also lose some games - publishers of big upcoming games might not want them to appear as part of a subscription service on day one.

Even if they succeeded moving their entire library to a subscription model, a Netflix-like subscription for unlimited access to 26 games would seem....truly pathetic. The quick by-the-numbers comparisons to other services like PlayStation Now and Game Pass (whenever Game Pass begins streaming) would be horrifying for Google. They'd have to compete on "well our numbers might be smaller but they're better", and previous games platforms needing to make that kind of sales pitch have struggled with it.

Stadia is in enough trouble that Google should definitely be considering other business models, but I don't think moving to a Netflix-like model is the answer to their problems (at least, not until they have a lot more games).

They moved up some of their game releases when people complained and Microsoft added a bunch of games to the xCloud beta. So that probably didn't help with their release schedule I guess. But idk about not communicating, didn't they just say something recently about new games?
They said 120 games coming in 2020. That doesn't mean anything to most people though - anyone looking for better communication is really asking for names and dates, not numbers and years.

I kinda feel like Google is going to be willing to dump some cash into this even knowing it's hopeless just because they don't want any new product they make to get immediately tagged as bound for the Google Graveyard.
Maybe. They'd presumably be at least a little wary about burning people who've paid money for a Google service and strengthening their reputation for killing products. I'm not sure if a big cash dump would be the cheapest way out of that though - it might end up being simpler for them to do something like announce that the service would last for another year and give subscribers three free games of their choice as an apology. That'd let them bow out without taking much of a hit to goodwill.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
In all honesty... its a good thing if Stadia dies. Streaming should never become the primary way to play games. If Google fails at it, it will scare other big tech companies from trying to bully their way in again.
Yeap I can't wait for this to die soon. Streaming is not ready... WW Streaming is not viable in the next 10 years at least...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Still enjoying mine and in absolute awe of how well it works, but I don't blame people for being annoyed.

Looking forward to another Stadia thread full of tired jokes about Google killing it.
Lol yeah similar trolling in other threads wouldn't make you popular :p

I like Stadia, the functionality is there, but they better come out of this silent period with a huge and substantial update. This isn't working.

Gylt as the feb Pro game is nice while waiting though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Still remember certain people ardently explaining how google don't kill projects and how this isn't going to be left to die.

I think they'll have one attempt at a relaunch of sorts and then it'll be gone.

icomment

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2020
LMAO at everyone posting google already abandoned it when Google has been on a complete Stadia hiring spree, are acquiring studios, are building contracts behind the scenes with ISPs, just announced time exclusives and over 100 games coming this year and have yet to launch their main business model (free).

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
i have February 20th marked on my calendar as "cancel Stadia subscription" unless they can come up with a valid reason to start paying the monthly fee

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Raider left Stadia Pro. You can keep it if you claimed it, but if you didn't you can't. Samurai Shodown and Rise of the Tomb Raider are leaving in 3 days, same deal.
NxQutW6.png
Okay that's seriously bad, they've been there for a month, holy crap they're making almost every mistake there is to make at this point.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I thought the Pro subscription would have a way to compete with Game Pass or PS Now, but I guess they only want a few free games a month and the rest you purchase. My mistake.

If you "claim" the game it's yours to keep and play for as long as you're a pro member. You just have to be a Pro member during the window it's available to claim. For instance, I have all the games since launch even though some aren't available to claim anymore.

I can't remember, but I think I saw that if you let your sub lapse but then resubscribe down the road those games come back to you as well.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But that´s their deadline, i like to think there is an analyst somewhere at Google HQ literally staring at that database row of my active sub! :D
Fair enough. I just know I have about a billion subscriptions and enjoy the ones that let me cancel and keep access until X date so I don't need to rely on my brain / an automated reminder.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Google is deservingly so receiving criticism for a rushed, flawed release. With their track record of killing services (even if not consumer side), there's plenty to be weary about from consumers' and developers' views. Sure, some want it completely dead, you're going to see that. But Google ruined their launch and the only one at fault is Google. For that, Google deserves criticism pointing out their problems and false promises regarding Stadia. A lack of games doesn't help either.

Not sure where you stand, but take a look back at this article. The article basically sums up Xbox One's launch, it's launch of 28 games, 19 of which were on the 360. Only one game was released in January. It cost $100 more than the PS4. But, they managed to turn things around - eventually.

Google's "track record of killing services" is overblown. Many of them have been replaced or consolidated. Look it up. People are just used to mob mentality and outrage culture.

Now, Google did ruin there launch by calling it a launch instead of an Early Access or a Soft Launch. Their communication is piss poor. They need to hire a real person behind their Twitter Account, instead of a robot. And if that is a real person - god bless them.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
LMAO at everyone posting google already abandoned it when Google has been on a complete Stadia hiring spree, are acquiring studios, are building contracts behind the scenes with ISPs, just announced time exclusives and over 100 games coming this year and have yet to launch their main business model (free).

hey google employee!

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The frustrating part is that the technology works really well for a good amount of people. If they just pumped a strong life line of games a features into this it could really carve out an audience and potentially be a bigger threat in a few years. I know they know this and are seeing this complaint online. Odd that they are taking their time and not really keeping people informed.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
1. Anyone starting up a major console business would be, or else there wouldn't be a launch.
2. We know nothing other than one ISP offering Stadia bundles, but we don't even know if data used in Stadia will count towards a datacap (if a datacap is present).
3. 120 games with 10 being Stadia times exclusives releasing in 2020...so where are the games? I get that's a number and all, but people want to see titles with gameplay.
4. At this point, this doesn't seem like it will guarantee a success. Google has launched many free consumer facing products and services (Google+, hangouts, allo) and has killed them all due to their lack of success. Stadia is already a joke to many in the gaming community, and I don't think the free tier is going to bring in as much people as Google hopes. I don't think there is a large user base who want to play all the new AAA games, but don't already have a console or PC.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Anyone shocked this is where things have ended up with the platform were either in denial over the information leading up to launch or just weren't paying attention. It's been nothing but red flags
Why do I hope people get refunds? Because not everyone pays as close attention as we do, people have definitely put money into this and let's be real: this thing is capital D doomed. I want people to not have their investment simply disappear, that'd be terrible.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Streaming is definitely the future, but it won't be Google leading or shaping the market because they're incapable of committing to their products

No it will be people who already have things in place to gradually get there. Valve has dabbled with local streaming if your games with steam link. ANd from what I have heard they are working on things for streaming certain games outside of a local network.

I can see them further developing the steam app or mobile version of their game launcher that is not just a store/friends list app. I can see them having Dota 2 among others streaming to your phones.

But like we have said we are still another 10 years off.