• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
I may be in the minority, but I don't really like the Connect way of delivering game announcements. There's no hype whatsoever. This isn't Stadia specific though, I don't like Nintendo Direct's or PS Days of Play either. Bring back the big conferences!!

With that said, I was expecting a lot more from this Stadia Connect. They showed of 1 new exclusive indie game. Come on. I'm still stoked for Stadia, but these showing are not doing anything for me.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of curious what you perceive to be a "next-gen" game out of the current Stadia 2019 line-up. Do you mean you hope to play somewhat improved versions of games that will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One, like Borderland 3 and Doom Eternal?
Almost anything AAA running native 4k/60fps is what I'd call next-gen. One of my friends has a pretty powerful gaming PC with a good i9, 32GB RAM and 1080ti, even he can't play high quality 4k games at 60fps. Although something like Cyberpunk with those huge crowds and great lighting is truly next-gen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Just sped through this in 5mins or so and was underwhelmed. I'm optimistic and looking forward to Stadia (and streaming in general), but this didn't do much for me. Every game was one I knew was coming, showing a trailing or a developer talk about something that was uninteresting.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, is there a list anywhere of which games are included in the Pro subscription? Is it just destiny shadowkeep with the annual pass?

With a monthly sub, I was assuming thered be a game or two per month?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question, is there a list anywhere of which games are included in the Pro subscription? Is it just destiny shadowkeep with the annual pass?

That's correct, that's the only game included by default in the Pro subscription, Destiny 2 with everything. After that there will be periodic games given out to current subscribers, they haven't gotten into details but they basically made it sound like there'd be one game per month. And these games aren't added to any streaming library, they are only added to your games list if you are subscribed the month the game gets released; if you ever unsubscribe, wait 6 months, then resubscribe, you get your games back but not the games that were released in the 6 months you missed.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Stadia lives and dies depending on whether it works. And it can't work "some of the time" or "most of the time." It has to function 99% of the time, and it has to be a great experience 90% of the time at least.
I just don't see it.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019

They haven't mentioned which games will be added for the members per month. Stadia gets released in November. Maybe much like PlayStation and MS they'll announce which game(s) it might be the week or so before the start of November. I can't find what MS will have for Live members for September, October, or November as yet.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't mentioned which games will be added for the members per month. Stadia gets released in November. Maybe much like PlayStation and MS they'll announce which game(s) it might be the week or so before the start of November. I can't find what MS will have for Live members for September, October, or November as yet.
I doubt we'll get a new game in November, the first month for any subscription will probably just be Destiny 2, especially for the very first month that founders have access.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Cyberpunk is a big announcement, but it's sort of the minimum bar for legitimacy this year.

I was underwhelmed by the exclusive library and lack of communication on the 1st party front. I know it's early days, but I think about how quickly and early Sony/Kojima showed a trailer for Death Stranding. Google needs to build its teams, but they ought to buy an existing AAA dev with a big next-gen concept in pre-production. Having a Bungie/Halo like Xbox had at the beginning would change the conversation a lot.

One low-key impressive thing is the number of hyper latency dependent games they showed. If DOOM wasn't a big enough test, MK11, Samurai Shodown, and Windjammers will prove whether Stadia is ready to take on consoles.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Early days still but if they can keep content coming in at a decent clip over the next couple years, and they can improve their communications, they'll be fine in the long term. This feels a lot like the early days of Xbox breaking into the industry.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Early days still but if they can keep content coming in at a decent clip over the next couple years, and they can improve their communications, they'll be fine in the long term. This feels a lot like the early days of Xbox breaking into the industry.
I think their real goal is being a viable option when the next gen starts.

The expectations (real and fake outrage) for a new entrant to be able to have more offerings than the establish players while laying out a brand new way to play is comical at this point.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I think their real goal is being a viable option when the next gen starts.

The expectations (real and fake outrage) for a new entrant to be able to have more offerings than the establish players while laying out a brand new way to play is comical at this point.

The mere fact that they have as many games announced as they do, and as many games ready at launch when they aren't part of the establishment speaks volumes.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamwriter ImaLawy3r ok thanks both. Makes sense and as you say, ms and ps don't announce games before each month.

It's interesting because Google don't really NEED to show anything for stadia. I'm sure they'd love to sell subs...but basic access is free and YouTube is everywhere...

All they need to do is put a "play now" button next to every game video on YouTube. They don't really need exclusives as they're not trying to sell anything specific.

Their bigger issue, imho, is that they need pc crossplay as a minimum.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Stadia sounds more like a vaccine than a video game experience and the way it's presented by Phil or these random people today also did literally nothing to sell the product to me. There's just zero excitement to all of this.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 thoughts:

Now I did test the AC:O out and I have to say, I am dying to see how bad MK11 and Windjammers play.

I have no idea what games I will even buy for this thing until April.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia sounds more like a vaccine than a video game experience and the way it's presented by Phil or these random people today also did literally nothing to sell the product to me. There's just zero excitement to all of this.

Yeah I agree. Generally speaking I find these "connect"/"direct" events to be very marketing-y.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If I can get a controller and stream games to my iPad screen and it actually works I'll be all over this. Honestly the less gaming shit around the better.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
It is going to take a lot more than a "play now" button for Stadia to become a success. You still have to pay full price for games and without exclusives to show a clear advantage over current gen hardware, I don't see many choosing to invest in a streaming service over buying the game for PS4, Xbox One or PC.

I believe the most likely path to success for Stadia is to show a early look at next gen gaming but nothing shown so far has done that. 4k60fps alone wouldn't be enough to convey next gen for the PS5/Next Xbox and it's not enough for Stadia (especially with it requiring a pro subscription).

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I will certainly use Stadia when it is available on my country, but this Connect was a bummer. And the lag/framerate didn't help.

At least they showed big games, where speed are crucial, backing it up. Good on them for growing their library and showing a exclusive game.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

People get too hung up on names IMO.

We live in an era where Xbox, a product of the race to be edgy marketing of the early 00s, is now a normal brand name we have gotten used to.

At least the Stadia name had a bit of thought put into it and makes sense with the product.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Has anyone from Google discussed the Data cap problem, even most American "homes" internet services have a "CAP"?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Has anyone from Google discussed the Data cap problem, even most American "homes" internet services have a "CAP"?

"The ISPs have a strong history of staying ahead of consumer trend and if you look at the history of data caps in those small number of markets ... the trend over time, when music streaming and download became popular, especially in the early days when it was not necessarily legitimate, data caps moved up," explained Harrison. "Then with the evolution of TV and film streaming, data caps moved up, and we expect that will continue to be the case."

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
C'mon Google. Let us use our expiring $100 GC on the Stadia pre-order. I was impressed enough with AC:Oydyssey last Fall but not willing to pay full price for the pre-order.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
A lot of people are hung up on this "full price" thing and I feel it is somewhat misleading. Yes, you buy your games and they will launch at the same price as retail copies. However, there is no indication that Stadia games will not have price drops and sales like every other store. I sure as Hell will not give Google $60 for a game but I just might pay $10 to $20 for a game on Stadia and be content to stream it at 1080p.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I get that they're trying to say "Hey! We're going to have most of the modern day AAA library that you'd expect when we launch." but man does it make for a boring presentation to show a bunch of games that are already announced if not already out. That said, I'd be open to picking up Cyberpunk on this depending on the DF analysis. If it's significantly better spec wise than any reasonably powerful gaming rig can manage, that would be cool.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Orcs Must Die 3 is a timed exclusive only. Who knows how long though:

Makes me happy because I have no interest in using Stadia since I don't want to have to pay google 10 dollars a month to play at 4k60 when my pc can offer better graphical options, a higher frame rate than 60, and less lag being local and not streamed.

Happy to hear that it's in development. Loved the other two so much.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
People get too hung up on names IMO.

We live in an era where Xbox, a product of the race to be edgy marketing of the early 00s, is now a normal brand name we have gotten used to.

At least the Stadia name had a bit of thought put into it and makes sense with the product.
The name Xbox was derived from a contraction of DirectX Box, a reference to Microsoft's graphics API, DirectX.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped for Stadia. I have to move around for work, and the idea that I can keep playing high quality games without having to lug my PC with me is fantastic. Already signed up for day one and I'm hoping they don't prove me wrong.

That said, this Connect was terrible. There were really no killer games other than Cyberpunk (unless you're German). The announcers had about as much charm as a broomstick - as we know from Nintendo Directs, you need to either have lots of personality or be adorably awkward to make it work. I guess it's something you have to warm up to, but this was very much giving me "corporate person reading a script".

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
When you see your friends bring a Chromecast over to play their catalog of games or you go traveling, you might change your mind. I'm excited because I'll be playing at work during down time.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The name Xbox was derived from a contraction of DirectX Box, a reference to Microsoft's graphics API, DirectX.

I am sure that story is true, but I doubt that is the reasoning their marketing and branding guys used tor actually going with the terrible name.
One look at basically any of their designs, packaging, etc. from the OG Xbox and you should be able to FEEL that 00s edginess design sense.

If you think marketing execs gave the greenlight on that name because it was named after an API most general users only know from frustrating errors popping up then I have a bridge to sell you!

And that's not even getting into my personal per peeve that they named their closed ecosystem console after an ever evolving API which means their DirectX Box is oftentimes behind the curve compared to gaming PCs! Heh.

Last edited:

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Mildly interested in Stadia i said: ok let's see what the fuss is about.

I looked at the website and options and started the connection speed test in my browser at home. It crashed halfway for more than 8 minutes (should take max. 30 seconds according to Google) and that's basically all i need to know about the service at this point. I mean, this experience kills a streaming product. Will come back some time after launch and see if it's improved.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The doom and gloom in Stadia threads reminds me of the car chat I'm in when people downtalk/downplay and outright dismiss a car they aren't even going to buy or even test drive because that's just easier to do.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
an edgy gaming product name from the late 90s
I am sure that story is true, but I doubt that is the reasoning their marketing and branding guys used tor actually going with the terrible name.
One look at basically any of their designs, packaging, etc. from the OG Xbox and you should be able to FEEL that 00s edginess design sense.

If you think marketing execs gave the greenlight on that name because it was named after an API most general users only know from frustrating errors popping up then I have a bridge to sell you!

And that's not even getting into my personal per peeve that they named their closed ecosystem console after an ever evolving API which means their DirectX Box is oftentimes behind the curve compared to gaming PCs! Heh.
Spreading negativity about anything Microsoft and thinking you are cool hating on Xbox is what I consider edgy!

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Why are so many people complaining about "old" games being shown? Have I missed something, or was Stadia never about exclusive games?

It's a service to play games anywhere on anything with the odd exclusive here and there to make the subscription interesting. That's how I understood the service.

And to be fair, the list of launch games for a new "system" is quite impressive. Which other system had so many games at launch?

I do believe streaming is the future and stadia will do just fine. A lot of people see it fail but o guess that's the ones which either bad internet, data caps, or I don't know, maybe just hating Google.

People already saying it won't play games well, how do you know? Apart from some early beta tests, have there been any real life tests? It probably will be laggy, have latency etc but as the service evolves, so will the quality of streaming games.

I'm quite looking forward playing games without having to upgrade hardware, downloads, day one patches etc and knowing the games will look good as Google will upgrade their servers and not me putting in a new graphics card.

And the fact it that I can just stop playing on the TV and carry on anywhere else on my phone, tablet etc (5g should do nicely), is the very most reason I'm looking forward to streaming.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played MK11 at gamescom today - it felt really nice! The visuals were awesome. I just once saw a little dip in quality and we had a few frames black screen which might have been a bug.

But there was next to no felt latency and combos came fluently (no expert on the game or genre but at least in platformers I notice input lag pretty well).

The controller was well build as well. I'm not the biggest fan on the dpad, but it wasn't bad either. Buttons and sticks felt fine as did the whole form factor and haptics.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Played MK11 at gamescom today - it felt really nice! The visuals were awesome. I just once saw a little dip in quality and we had a few frames black screen which might have been a bug.

But there was next to no felt latency and combos came fluently (no expert on the game or genre but at least in platformers I notice input lag pretty well).

The controller was well build as well. I'm not the biggest fan on the dpad, but it wasn't bad either. Buttons and sticks felt fine as did the whole form factor and haptics.
Nice, not really into fighting ganes anymore but glad to see it is actually viable.

Your positive hands on experience will be picked apart in 3..2..1..

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

A positive stadia post?! How is that possible?? :)

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
A positive stadia post?! How is that possible?? :)
Most of the posts of people with hands on experience with Stadia or Project Stream have been positive.
They just get drowned out by posters with the same bullet points and feel the need to inform us why they are not interested in Stadia.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It probably will be laggy, have latency etc but as the service evolves, so will the quality of games.
I think it's likely to be the flipside of that. From day one it'll have a level of latency that is acceptable to most people for most genres, but after that point, really significant improvements to latency will be unlikely. The service will still evolve, but likely in ways that don't involve latency - framerate, resolution, platform specifications, etc.