• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to never playing their game again the day Google pulls the plug on the service.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
*That you can also play on your PC. Sure you need internet. But lets be honest, you need internet for all of the games you have on Steam or EG or whatever. If Local play vs Cloud is the reason why you don't like these moves than you must not like exclusive titles either.
I don't need my internet to be up 100% and not have someone else in the house sucking down internet to play local games. So yeah I'd rather just have the local option over cloud. I am even the type of person who downloads my Itunes movies before watching them because I don't want it pausing to buffer in the middle of a scene.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I expect more acquisitions to follow. First-party content is a good way of attracting new users to your platform.

TheVictim

Dec 3, 2019
As a founder I'm pretty excited for the news. The platform is amazingly capable, compelling and fun, but what it lacks is games. I'd love to see what a Stadia-focused dev team can do.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least Stadia has no cost to get started and can be accessed from a lot of devices so I oddly don't feel very upset.

Google has a lot to prove though, with Stadia versions being so half baked so far.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
i imagine tequila works isn't interested since they maintained the ownership of their stadia exclusive title, it's clear they want to port gylt to other platforms after the exclusivity window runs out.
Ah, well fair enough then.

Good for me personally at least, as someone who has enjoyed their previous works enough, I'm not all that interested in Stadia.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
The way Google has been treating their failed products.... Stadia will be cancelled by the time their studios output a game.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions like this from google were happening with or without MS. Its silly to think otherwise.
Of course they were happening. But MS and Google are basically the same in terms of goals and ethical considerations yet MS was lauded for "helping smaller studios" while the response over Google has been predictably negative despite doing the exact same thing. I wonder why.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they were happening. But MS and Google are basically the same in terms of goals and ethical considerations yet MS was lauded for "helping smaller studios" while the response over Google has been predictably negative. I wonder why.

Because Google wants to make games exclusively for the cloud. Its not that hard to understand.

THQ Nordic, Sony and other companies that have already said that want to or already acquired companies with way less backlash too.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Ugh, don't know the studio but every dev and studio locked behind a streaming only option is a loss in my book. Too bad.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they were happening. But MS and Google are basically the same in terms of goals and ethical considerations yet MS was lauded for "helping smaller studios" while the response over Google has been predictably negative despite doing the exact same thing. I wonder why.
i think it's because people trust MS more to have those studios develop good games that will be playable for a long time on multiple platforms, including PC, and yes, including streaming. people don't feel that confident with google.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
If Google is actually serious about gaming they're gonna need to beef up their first party quickly. Hopefully Google doesn't just give up before these studios start putting out games.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Stadia aquires many more, for the entertainement value. We're already off to a good start here.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
well, im looking forward to see what comes of it at least. If Google wants to sell this thing then they will need games to do so.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they want to enter the market they have to do these sorta things. Everyone was sorta happy when MS made acquisitions. Lets all stay calm.

Well with Microsoft and Sony, gaming is part of the long-term business plan. Google could shut Stadia down next year if it doesn't take off, and then what happens to the studios?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
All those people who wanted major platform holders to buy out third party developers are getting what they asked for.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, MS invented studio acquisitions
I heard they are the first company to ever to do it
Yeah no shit that's not what I mean.

Big Tech investing heavily into gaming is a relatively new thing. Google and Facebook acquiring small "AA" studios didn't happen before Microsoft did the exact same thing. If you've watched how the tech sector eroded by the same companies buying all the startups, it's concerning the same thing is potentially happening to gaming. This isn't a console wars thing, it's bigger than that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, a must play exclusive is probably the only way I'll ever try Stadia. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in the future.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Yeah no shit that's not what I mean.

Big Tech investing heavily into gaming is a relatively new thing. Google and Facebook acquiring small "AA" studios didn't happen before Microsoft did the exact same thing. If you've watched how the tech sector eroded by the same companies all the startups, it's concerning the same thing is potentially happening to gaming.

It didn't happen before cause they wanted to enter the market trough Cloud technology, that wasn't ready before... but of course you know that and are just arguing in bad faith, lmao