• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm genuinely curious what sort of gamer demographic Google is aiming for. How many people can't afford a 250-350$ console but is tech savvy enough to have top of the line unlimited connection with high end network equipment at home?

Also, unlimited doesn't really mean truly unlimited, most if not all companies have fine print about fair use and stuff. If you use 5-10-20TB a month you might run into troubles.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
No. I'm sorry but you are wrong. Net neutrality is a lot of things and it's critical to the health of the internet. But, data caps are a preventative measure to creating too much congestion within a network. When net neutrality sat, exactly as it did under Obama, caps still existed.
Data caps - sorry, let's use their 'approved' term...data usage plans - haven't been about congestion for years. It's about profits.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Non issue.
Data caps aren't a thing here.

Hyped as hell for stream gaming.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
No data caps for me in UK, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would be some heavy throttling or limit if Stadia took off. It's only in the last few months I finally upgraded to Fibre.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Data caps in 2019 is just beyond me, when everyday life is so reliant on the internet. How are ISPs still justifying them?

So Comcast/Xfinity/ whatever they call themselves, is the largest internet provider in the US and they have a 1TB cap. The laughable thing is that the 1TB cap was only added in 2016, before that they had a 300GB cap.

It's all about money.

And for those outside the US, most cities only have 2-3 options for an internet provider and that's pushing it. Smaller cities may have one provider and you have no say at all. So it is not an issue of people "choosing" to go with a provider who has a data cap. ISPs know that people's options are limited and therefore implement caps because you don't have a choice of going with someone else.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In the US. My choices are 90$ 10 Mbps satellite internet with 20GB caps(lol), 40$ 6 Mbps DSL no caps, or 70$ 1Gbps fiber with no caps. While I don't like the town I'm in, thank god they decided to put fiber in. Caps are evil and I'll avoid moving somewhere that has them, I'm serious. I'm not interesting in Stadia though, but I am interested in streaming in general.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I can finally push my 500 Mbps connection! Prob won't get into stadia if there are extra devices though. i have enough already.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
No data caps here, so I'm good to go for Google Stadia!

But, Stadia isn't even coming here till 2020 or beyond that so plenty of time for my ISP to put a data cap on our service :/

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When even a country like mine has easy access to 150mbps with no caps (Brazil) you know the US is way fucking backwards in terms of internet infrastructure.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Comcast/Xfinity/ whatever they call themselves, is the largest internet provider in the US and they have a 1TB cap. The laughable thing is that the 1TB cap was only added in 2016, before that they had a 300GB cap.

It's all about money.

And for those outside the US, most cities only have 2-3 options for an internet provider and that's pushing it. Smaller cities may have one provider and you have no say at all. So it is not an issue of people "choosing" to go with a provider who has a data cap. ISPs know that people's options are limited and therefore implement caps because you don't have a choice of going with someone else.

But smaller ISPs could gain a greater marktshare by offering a more compelling service (ie. without data caps) I always wonder why it didn't happen yet in the US.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello person who probably lives in Europe.

Know that North America is at least ten years behind your country telecom wise.

Lol this isn't true

The United States is bigger than western europe and many parts are much less populated

So telecoms have issues/dont bother to wire up those less populated areas

As someone who lives in suburbia and pays only about 70 bucks for gigabit its all about where you live

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Data caps still being a thing after early 2000 is ridiculous and should be illegal.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This whole Stadia reveal made me realize how freaking bad internet is in US even compared to 3rd world countries: slow, data caps,...

Good for us europeans i guess.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Doesn't help that there's no source or explanation for some of the figure used.

One of the biggest factors is the ridiculous amounts of energy needed to cool data centres. MS and a few others have been moving them underwater and using natural ocean cooling to do the work, - saves about 95% of the energy normally required - costs money upfront, but the long term savings (for the environment most of all) would be worthwhile.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Non American here, so apologies in advance for my stupidity. How cost effective is it to stream from Stadia on a typical data plan that isn't capped in 4K, as opposed to just buying an One X and available games like Doom Eternal and Odyssey?

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

14GB per hour for 4k Video streaming... 65 hours is 910GB
So basically the same, how is the Stadia 4k usage surprising or shocking to anyone? And how many people are actually going to use 4k out of the gate for this?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I dunno Netflix seems to do alright. You're not forced to use 4K 60fps surround sound on Stadia.

You're mostly right but with one caveat — without net neutrality, ISPs can choose to ignore certain traffic for data caps in order to give their own or their business partner's service an edge. Like, imagine if google struck a deal with Comcast so Stadia doesn't count toward cap but Shadow streaming does count toward cap — would put Google at an uncompetitive advantage.

OK, I'm not from US, so why is everyone moaning about data caps? Is Netflix exempt?

Enlighten me

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So I'm assuming this will be similar for xCloud? And possibly PS Now(once they upgrade to 4k streaming)?

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad there's no such thing as data caps in the U.K. some ISPs do throttle your connection if you use too much data but thankfully that's becoming quite rare these days.
My ISP still throttles it AFAIK, mostly because the area infrastructure probably can't handle it. I'm sure as infrastructure improves in less populated areas, throttling and data caps will be a thing of the past.

Now the carbon footprint, on the other hand, is very much concerning for me, personally, but then again so is a lot technology these days and no one seems to care.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
This is from a company in the Bay Area. I think Comcast is the biggest provider here and there's a data cap. :(

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Data as a commodity is some fucked up shit.

European internet usually (but not always) runs circles around the States'. Unless you are living in a rural area, you are going to have a relatively lenghty list of broadband providers with no data caps to serve your home, and pricing is not brutal.

The biggest issue in my neck of the woods is the infuriating streaming+mobile+broadband+landline packaging, which is designed to avoid customisation while "excusing" tiny but continuous price hikes.
Don't you guys generally have deregulated infrastructure, so anyone can use any line? I know that is one of the reasons east asian countries (ie Japan, S Korea) can have the speeds they do at the prices they do. The other factor, also in play in both regions, is that the population is more densely packed. One of the worst things about US internet speeds is because we have a LOT of open area sprawl on top of most urban areas not being great for internet speeds (but now still getting closer to other countries/regions).