• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely thats not what their site says

9VklHDt.png

Oh snap it changed a bit, to 11.25GB per hour.

Still less but don't forget stadia is being used in conjunction with other services in the house now consistently much like movies. So now you are adding data that normally wasn't used on top of whatever else you are doing

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Unlimited 50Mb download fiber connection here, so I wouldn't care.

The problem is that I'm in a third world country and of course they won't offer the service.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If only Chattanooga TN's internet was all over the state. Then I wouldn't have to deal with data caps with Comcast. But even so, not sure if Stadia is something I would really use if ever.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
that's like 16 hours a week, 2.5 hour per day in a month. Most normal functioning people don't play nearly that much video games and if they do, they are not the audience for a streaming platform.
consider a household with multiple people and a 1 TB data cap. First off, nobody is going to use the internet ONLY for Stadia, so you can cut down that 65 hours by a lot depending on how much other data gets used for netflix, etc. and secondly the use can be spread across more than one person. It's not really that much.
Strangely thats not what their site says

9VklHDt.png
the data use is lower than that. Netflix says Ultra HD uses up to 7GB/hour
Netflix data usage options

Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:

• Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device
  • Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
  • High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD
  • Auto - Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually interested to see how things shake out with this. Google mentioned in their stream that the rise of services like Stadia could help push data caps and speeds higher, and I can't say I disagree entirely. But I could also see them not gaining traction because of such limits.... Curious what will wind up happening: Streaming services pushing ISPs to offer better service, or bad service pushing people away from streaming?

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so shocked that an entirely new tech concept has a high financial bar for early adopters? Google aren't releasing a console, they're building an entirely new service and technology.

They're obviously building the brand and developing a service to get ahead of the other platform holders. When the technology matures, and ISPs/tech infrastructure can support it, game streaming will go mainstream and Google are investing millions now in order to ensure they have a monopoly on the sector a few years down the line.

This is very similar to Uber's whole business model being built on the fact that self driving cars will be viable in a few years.

Obviously I don't agree with any of this, but that's what is happening with Stadia.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
hopefully they will have a 2k option as well. still a nice bump over 1080, 1440p looks great on a native monitor and still good at 4k, but using half the bandwidth

Why are people so shocked that an entirely new tech concept has a high financial bar for early adopters? Google aren't releasing a console, they're building an entirely new service and technology.

They're obviously building the brand and developing a service to get ahead of the other platform holders. When the technology matures, and ISPs/tech infrastructure can support it, game streaming will go mainstream and Google are investing millions now in order to ensure they have a monopoly on the sector a few years down the line.

This is very similar to Uber's whole business model being built on the fact that self driving cars will be viable in a few years.

Obviously I don't agree with any of this, but that's what is happening with Stadia.
It's not the technology that's problem but the fact that the largest market for Stadia is inundated with greedy telecoms that put arbitrary caps that makes this service unusable. Talking about some nebulous point the future when the likes of Comcast decides to stop being deliberately isn't helpful when the reality is that this service is going to launch in an unviable market.

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
What's interesting is the revoking of Net neutrality may actually 'help' here. Google could legally pay major ISPs to allow Stadia streaming to be exempt from data caps. I actually fully expect that to start happening at some point.

Which is interesting. Still its selling a solution to a problem they created, really not a fan of regionally monopolized ISPs.. Bleh.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Technology isn't the problem.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the technology that's problem but the fact that the largest market for Stadia is inundated with greedy telecoms that put arbitrary caps that makes this service unusable. Talking about some nebulous point the future when the likes of Comcast decides to stop being deliberately isn't helpful when the reality is that this service is going to launch in an unviable market.

The point is that the only way to change those company policies [which is mainly in North America and NOT the entire world], Google needs to create a viable service to begin with. Do you really think at the beginning of Spotify people had enough phone data to regularly stream loads of music? Of course not.

Technology isn't the problem.

Where do I say it is? They are waiting for two things 1. the tech to improve with regards to latency and stream reliability and 2. ISPs in some places (North America) to start behaving like ISPs in the rest of the developed world. Worst case scenario is that the US and Canada doesn't stream much. Luckily, the rest of the world is a bigger market soooo.... guess that North America will have to cope with not having every entertainment product available to it for once.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
9gb an hour for 1080, oof.

Unless I'm playing a really short game, that pretty much removes the benefits of not downloading a game if the file size of the game is lower than 9x it's hourly length.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Looks like FUD.

First of all, I have no cap. Bam. Sorry!

Second, they're going off a chart of minimum recommended speed, not data usage. Google says you NEED a 35 mbps connection to do the 4k 60. They're not saying it USES 35 mbps. FAIL. If this was true Netflix would be long gone.

Third, even if their FUD scenario was true, 65 hours in a month is pretty long. It's more than 15 hours per week. I'm guessing the vast majority of gamers fall under that amount of playtime. Although sure, it could be an issue.

Or you could play at 1080P (same as Playstation 4) and use way less, even under their evidently false math.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in the other stadia thread but I think data caps may kill the stadia dream as an in home console replacement in much of the US. It's still very viable for on the go travel.

My hope is that Google fights to kill data caps by either reinstating their fiber cities or somehow fight for change to kill data caps. I think it's in their best interest to try and kill data caps for the US market to have any hopes of adopting the stadia.

Looks like FUD.

Second, they're going off a chart of minimum recommended speed, not data usage. Google says you NEED a 35 mbps connection to do the 4k 60. They're not saying it USES 35 mbps. FAIL. If this was true Netflix would be long gone.

Third, even if their FUD scenario was true, 65 hours in a month is pretty long. It's more than 15 hours per week. I'm guessing the vast majority of gamers fall under that amount of playtime. Although sure, it could be an issue.
If a household has any regular data usage outside of Stadia, that cap is getting hit quick. Just having a family member that's into Netflix will bottleneck you.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like FUD.

Probably need some real world tests to see how it works. Netflix recommend at least 25mbps for 4K hdr at 24fps, so it's not a million miles off.
Especially when video streaming has the luxuary of buffering , either visibly or in the background

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This won't push ISPs to do shit. Will it help them get more money? No? Then fuck your streaming games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I mentioned this in the other stadia thread but I think data caps may kill the stadia dream as an in home console replacement in much of the US. It's still very viable for on the go travel.

My hope is that Google fights to kill data caps by either reinstating their fiber cities or somehow fight for change to kill data caps. I think it's in their best interest to try and kill data caps for the US market to have any hopes of adopting the stadia.

I like the idea of using it for travelling, but the reality is that many places offer incredibly poor latency ridden hotspots which are oversubscribed, laggy and slow.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Google mentioned in their stream that the rise of services like Stadia could help push data caps and speeds higher, and I can't say I disagree entirely.
I think it's far more likely that you'll see ISPs introduce "Gamer Internet Packs." Spend an extra 40 dollars for unlimited gaming internet and speeds!

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
If a household has any regular data usage outside of Stadia, that cap is getting hit quick. Just having a family member that's into Netflix will bottleneck you.

Yeah, we can't forget that Stadia isn't the only thing people have to worry about. Not only is it competing with Netflix for your bandwidth, but also Youtube, Twitch, Amazon Prime, and anything else. Watching the Games Done Quick marathon can *eat* a data cap. Even just on 1080p Stadia will blow past that cap in a household that uses online media.

And if you're using it in *addition* to a console for exclusives? Well, there's game downloads and patches to toss into the mix too.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't have a cap at home but if I get the service I'd wanna use it outside of home too and this sounds horrendous.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if posted; here are the states Comcast has their 1TB data cap:
  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Western Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Southwest Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Is my household included in the 1.2 Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan?

Find out if your area offers the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan.

So, ya, living in the SF Bay has me out. adding an unlimited plan is an additional $600 a year.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Awesome. Finally gonna have a use for my blazingly fast connection once it launches in Japan.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i have unlimited gigabit internet, but who knows how long that will last with the GOP running the show

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
RIP for me and my 1tb limit. My family loves Netflix in 4k so we can't do both. Sticking to real consoles, then.