• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
People buy games digitally right now. We're way past the "you don't own the games" problem. PC games have been exclusively buying games digitally for years.
I buy digital all the time. But I OWN it. The files are on my pc. I buy digital on the switch for convenience all the time.
The difference here is that you are buying a game to stream it, and then you need to pay for unlimited internet to stream it, and then if your internet connection falters at all, your experience suffers. If you already own a console or pc, its pretty damn pointless. If you dont own a pc or console, maybe you'd be interested in pay $60usd to play Doom on your phone??

I was actually pretty interested when I thought it was "Pay 10-15-20 a month and get access to a library of games to stream".
Then it turns out you have buy each individual one and it loses any advantage at all.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I understand skepticism, but I can't understand why this forum seems so myopic about game streaming in general.

ResetEra REALLY hates change. VR? Fuck that it's shit. Streaming? Garbage, I spent 2k on my PC but have garbage internet therefore everyone is like me.

A lot of nostalgia here for old games and fear of what gaming will be like in the future I guess.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I could not possibly disagree more. I was seeing issues with skipping even when the connection was fine and nobody there understood what I was pointing to. It was insanity. It felt bad as a result.

Image quality isn't great either - it genuinely looks like a YouTube video but interactive.

It was a controlled demo.....results will vary greatly person to person....
...and even then, it failed three times during my session and sometimes dropped to 360p quality with massive latency.

I'm still curious to see how it evolves but it's a huge challenge and I expect a lot of issues unless you have a perfect connection.

ResetEra REALLY hates change. VR? Fuck that it's shit. Streaming? Garbage, I spent 2k on my PC but have garbage internet therefore everyone is like me.

A lot of nostalgia here for old games and fear of what gaming will be like in the future I guess.
I love VR and have professed love for it. Streaming, however, means not owning games any longer and a degradation in visual quality.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could not possibly disagree more. I was seeing issues with skipping even when the connection was fine and nobody there understood what I was pointing to. It was insanity. It felt bad as a result.

Image quality isn't great either - it genuinely looks like a YouTube video but interactive.

...and even then, it failed three times during my session and sometimes dropped to 360p quality with massive latency.

I'm still curious to see how it evolves but it's a huge challenge and I expect a lot of issues unless you have a perfect connection.

I love VR and have professed love for it. Streaming, however, means not owning games any longer and a degradation in visual quality.
Huh really? This is the first bad impression I've heard, everyone else really positive that has tried it

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
As a Mac user, streaming has my interest piqued. I have the latest Mac Mini so gaming on that cruddy "gpu" is a no go, not to mention the whole rigmarole of setting up bootcamp and booting into windows just to play a game.

I'd love to just open a browser window and get a great experience.

We shall see!

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
a prepared demo in a booth at e3 is as representative of what will happen in real life as is a cleaning product commercial on tv.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except you still have to buy it, and you need a constant internet connection to play a game you bought
There is no buying "it" all you have to do is a buy a game on stadia and go as long as you have a screen that can run chrome and have a controller.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yes, like you buy movies on Netflix right?
Why they hell would you buy a game you have to stream??? It makes zero sense.
You don't have to buy movies on Netflix, but other than the content they produce there's nothing new really.

A better comparison would be the online stores, you have to buy any movie even if you stream it.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

I would really like to know if everyone had the same experience you had but simply don't have the same eye for detail you do, or you had a bad demo (Probably combination of both). I'm sure you agree that whatever the image quality is now, it will get better with time until even people like you cannot notice the difference. MP3 and digital music in general killed CDs and other physical audio formats long before it had better audio quality. I'm sure you have noticed several of your peers saying "It is difficult for me to notice a difference" or "it looks very good", when it comes to the image quality. That should be your queue to know that we already started to get into the "It's good enough" area that happened several years ago with digital music.

You already know it can be a lot more stable since you have tried streaming services like Geforce Now. Don't really know what you mean with perfect connection.

I completely understand you on that. You are similar to the people that are willing to pay thousands of dollars on premium audio equipment to get the maximum detail out of the music, heck I bet that if you do like to listen to music you probably buy all you can on LP. You probably don't subscribe to any service like Netflix or Spotify since you don't own the media you consume there and that seems to be part of the experience of enjoying things for you. Probably streaming wont be for you for a long time, unless some exclusive comes that takes advantage of the power of the cloud and you have no other way of playing it, but in the meantime I think that we can agree that there is a big change coming.

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming the Stadia Pro has lower latency than the standard version but I haven't seen this talked about.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the Stadia Pro has lower latency than the standard version but I haven't seen this talked about.
I don't think so, a DF article mentioned higher framerates in the game help bring that down and both versions will do 60fps

.. Of course I might have completely misread

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

No official mention of that from Google. If anything Stadia Pro might have higher latency since they have to compress a 4K image compared to a 1080P one on Stadia Base.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
a prepared demo in a booth at e3 is as representative of what will happen in real life as is a cleaning product commercial on tv.

John from Digital Foundry had a bad experience with his demo. I don't think there were any smoke and mirrors unless you have anything else to share about what they were doing.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the impressions Dark1x.

I can't wait to try it. I am also sometimes very sensitive to those things (the lag on the Retropie ruins it for me, still playable but just not how I want those game to feel).

But like with the Switch some people will take less fidelity for convenience. Not sure I will accept lag though.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
John from Digital Foundry had a bad experience with his demo. I don't think there were any smoke and mirrors unless you have anything else to share about what they were doing.
he had a bad experience still in a prepared demo in a e3 booth in a controlled environment where everything is done in advance to get the best result possible as usual and that is rarely if ever representative of what will happen in real life.
you think what ? google improvised that thing ? just came in and plug the thing in and that's it ? no checks beforehand ? no QoL bandwith allocation rules ? nothing ?
are you new to the game of commercial demos ?
What you see in a show is the target, it may turn out like the target IRL, but if you blindly assume it will, you are taking the cleaning product commercial at face value.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
he had a bad experience still in a prepared demo in a e3 booth in a controlled environment where everything is done in advance to get the best result possible as usual and that is rarely if ever representative of what will happen in real life.
you think what ? google improvised that thing ? just came in and plug the thing in and that's it ? no checks beforehand ? no QoL bandwith allocation rules ? nothing ?
are you new to the game of commercial demos ?
What you see in a show is the target, it may turn out like the target IRL, but if you blindly assume it will, you are taking the cleaning product commercial at face value.

The experience will be good or bad based on two factors. Latency and image quality. John reported a bad experience based on image quality. The image quality will degrade when the bandwidth is not good, but the hard part which is latency was good for him. I can imagine how in an event like that there might be bandwidth problems due to the high amount of connections, so if anything, someone at their house connected to the same server with a dedicated 25mbps + connection and a similar ping, will have a better experience than John had. What John reported was an unstable image quality and that is a bandwidth problem. So again, I don't see how this was somehow fake/prepared/not real and not representative of what someone else might have at their house.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The experience will be good or bad based on two factors. Latency and image quality. John reported a bad experience based on image quality. The image quality will degrade when the bandwidth is not good, but the hard part which is latency was good for him. I can imagine how in an event like that there might be bandwidth problems due to the high amount of connections, so if anything, someone at their house connected to the same server with a dedicated 25mbps + connection and a similar ping, will have a better experience than John had. What John reported was an unstable image quality and that is a bandwidth problem. So again, I don't see how this was somehow fake/prepared/not real and not representative of what someone else might have at their house.

A prepared demo is not representative of reality, never, you should never think it is.
it is the equivalent of a commercial, if you take it as gospel of the real thing you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It may turn out to be the real thing in real conditions, it may, (and it does for others, i've used psnow, it does work when everything is perfect connection wise) but that is not the point, the point is you should never assume it will beforehand and blindly believe the words of a corporation that is there to sell you things shutting off your critical mind. (hence the original cleaning product comparison, you don't believe those outright right ?, so why would you here ?)

Also the google guys are not idiots, the test did not happen in the congested convention center, but in google's youtube space dedicated facilities in playa vista, sitting on a google dedicated tube to their data centers. hardly representative of anything in real life for real people.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
As a Mac user, streaming has my interest piqued. I have the latest Mac Mini so gaming on that cruddy "gpu" is a no go, not to mention the whole rigmarole of setting up bootcamp and booting into windows just to play a game.

I'd love to just open a browser window and get a great experience.

We shall see!

Yeah the Mac market for this tech is going to be massive. Hundreds of Thousands of university students using Macs on amazing network connections that this will be perfect for.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
A prepared demo is not representative of reality, never, you should never think it is.
it is the equivalent of a commercial, if you take it as gospel of the real thing you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It may turn out to be the real thing in real conditions, it may, (and it does for others, i've used psnow, it does work when everything is perfect connection wise) but that is not the point, the point is you should never assume it will beforehand and blindly believe the words of a corporation that is there to sell you things shutting off your critical mind. (hence the original cleaning product comparison, you don't believe those outright right ?, so why would you here ?)

Also the google guys are not idiots, the test did not happen in the congested convention center, but in google's youtube space dedicated facilities in playa vista, sitting on a google dedicated tube to their data centers. hardly representative of anything in real life for real people.

Those are some really big words you have there and I don't agree at all. I feel that I don't even need to look for examples as you and me know that there are examples for games and products, that are presented in demos, and not only look the same once they are released, but in a lot of cases they are better than the demo. I am basing my opinion on the fact that John reported problems with the resolution dropping to what seemed like 360P for a sustained amount of time, and others reporting having a great experience. Like I said before when resolution drops on a cloud game it is due to low bandwidth, so that allows me to say that Google had bandwidth problems in some of their demos. I think you should go straight to the point and say exactly how did Google used smoke and mirrors and what will be different once the general public has access to the service.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Playing games on a console is a degradation in visual quality. Playing games on the Switch is a massive degradation in visual quality and yet you guys do nothing but praise it.

It's all about trade-offs. For some people nothing less than 4k 144fps is acceptable, for others 500p with chopped up visuals and frame drops is just fine. Streaming will be no different and there are huge swaths of gamers that will think streaming is more than good enough.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Those are some really big words you have there and I don't agree at all. I feel that I don't even need to look for examples as you and me know that there are examples for games, products, that are presented in demos, and not only look the same once they are released, but in a lot of cases they are better than the demo. I am basing my opinion on the fact that John reported problems with the resolution dropping to what seemed like 360P for a sustained amount of time, and others reporting having a great experience. Like I said before when resolution drops on a cloud game it is due to low bandwidth, so that allows me to say that Google had bandwidth problems in some of their demos. I think you should go straight to the point and say exactly how did Google used smoke and mirrors and what will be different once the general public has access to the service.

fine, i will repeat it one more (last) time.
i never said it was fake, i said it was not representative of the real thing, and i stand by it.

as to the factual why :
The demo happened in the GOOGLE built (well refurbished, they kept some of the walls...) facilities of Youtube creator space in playa vista , they designed the place, they pulled their OWN wires there, the place is sitting on a GOOGLE owned internet tube linked to GOOGLE owned data centers.
This is space magic science fiction quality internet they have there, it is not representative of any consumer reality, at all.
Worse than that, the people that went there were not allowed to test the connexion, why would google do that, why? seriously, come on.
so, the factual straight to the point of why you'd be a fool to consider this demo representative, do you get it this time ?

if you still don't and think this demo happened in an internet config that is even in the same plane of existence as consumer-grade available internet (representative), well i don't know what to tell you.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
For the vast majority of people this is going to be a horrible experience: lag, compression, resolution drops, connection loss, etc.

On top of that, you don't own the games, you can't mod them, you can't customize the experience and you have to be always online. Also, you pay full-price for the games + 10 euro per month just to be able to play at 4K. After just 4-5 years you've already paid for a console and you don't own any games. It's just a terrible deal.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is a good alternative for people who can't afford the hardware to run these games locally. It does me no good currently because I keep on top of my hardware but there was a time in my life where this would have been incredible, and from playing AC Odyssey in the beta, it seemed to work well enough on my internet. The more people who can play these games with good performance, the better. Time will tell.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Playing games on a console is a degradation in visual quality. Playing games on the Switch is a massive degradation in visual quality and yet you guys do nothing but praise it.

It's all about trade-offs. For some people nothing less than 4k 144fps is acceptable, for others 500p with chopped up visuals and frame drops is just fine. Streaming will be no different and there are huge swaths of gamers that will think streaming is more than good enough.
Lowering detail isn't the same as compression artifacts. It looks like a YouTube video.

The real reason is that I want to own games. This service doesn't allow that. It's not for me.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Lowering detail isn't the same as compression artifacts. It looks like a YouTube video.

The real reason is that I want to own games. This service doesn't allow that. It's not for me.

Imo the practical difference between "ownership" on a PC digital store vs Stadia will seem less significant over time. All stores can be shut down, and what changes is your trust in its longevity.

Real game preservation always involves some kind of copyright or at least DMCA violation.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imo the practical difference between "ownership" on a PC digital store vs Stadia will seem less significant over time. All stores can be shut down, and what changes is your trust in its longevity.

Real game preservation always involves some kind of copyright or at least DMCA violation.
Yea the difference in ownership between the two is much less different than it was between physical and digital

Someone that really cares about ownership should only be buying physical

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
fine, i will repeat it one more (last) time.
i never said it was fake, i said it was not representative of the real thing, and i stand by it.

as to the factual why :
The demo happened in the GOOGLE built (well refurbished, they kept some of the walls...) facilities of Youtube creator space in playa vista , they designed the place, they pulled their OWN wires there, the place is sitting on a GOOGLE owned internet tube linked to GOOGLE owned data centers.
This is space magic science fiction quality internet they have there, it is not representative of any consumer reality, at all.
Worse than that, the people that went there were not allowed to test the connexion, why would google do that, why? seriously, come on.
so, the factual straight to the point of why you'd be a fool to consider this demo representative, do you get it this time ?

if you still don't and think this demo happened in an internet config that is even in the same plane of existence as consumer-grade available internet (representative), well i don't know what to tell you.

"A prepared demo is not representative of reality, never" This is what you said and I don't agree with that, will you defend this or not? You cannot simply assert that the demo will not be representative of the real life experience and just come up with some examples without any proof and expect for people to believe what you say. So again, there are two key factors for a cloud service to work, latency and bandwidth. Which one is the one that you say does not represent the experience that people will have at their house? Is it bandwidth they were using impossible to have at a normal house, or is it the latency? Latency mostly depends on how far you are from the server and on regards to bandwidth we all know that John said at one point it looked like a 360P video, so it's definitely not bandwidth. You have failed to say exactly what will be different once people start to use the service at their house. Something that I have not mentioned so far is that all Stadia demos were running at 1080P, so by the time the service comes out the resolution will have improved 4 times, is that what you mean when you say "not representative" of the home experience?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

Not at all. If I buy a game on GOG, or even Steam, I can play it offline whenever I want. The game IS in my computer. With Stadia it's very different. It's not in your computer. You have to be ALWAYS online. What if your internet goes down? What happens if the service isn't working? What if Stadia shuts down after a few years and you've spent hundreds of euros in games? My GOG games will always be in my PC.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could be a great service if you have the bandwidth and the internet speed to keep up with it. I don't have any data caps or speed problems so it would work fine for me, but I prefer physical media or a local installation at the very least. It has sold me on the fact that I think a free trial of the 4k streaming would be fun to try out, just to compare it to playing games locally on my pc or consoles.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

So the day that Stadia allows you to sell your games to another Stadia user and the image quality is indistinguishable from local gaming you will jump in?

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't have to buy games it might be different, and I'd probably feel differently about it myself. You're basically handing the keys to a corporation in terms of ownership; your access to content you bought is now entirely at their discretion. Even if it worked perfectly I would never use it unless there was essentially no investment on my part.

How is this different to buying games digitally on other platforms? I can't remember the last time I bought a disc.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Not at all. If I buy a game on GOG, or even Steam, I can play it offline whenever I want. The game IS in my computer. With Stadia it's very different. It's not in your computer. You have to be ALWAYS online. What if your internet goes down? What happens if the service isn't working? What if Stadia shuts down after a few years and you've spent hundreds of euros in games? My GOG games will always be in my PC.

You need to ALWAYS have electricity for your consoles to work, is that a limitation as well? You know that just a few years back the electric service was not as stable as we have it now right? Was the solution back then to say we need to keep playing with wooden horses and marbles because the electricity was not as stable? Or was it to keep pushing for the electric service to improve?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no thanks. I am pretty sensitive to image quality issues. At the end of the day they are sending compressed video and there is no magic work around for that.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm so ready if it works this well in real life. Already switched to all digital early this gen, this just seems like the next step.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
You need to ALWAYS have electricity for your consoles to work, is that a limitation as well? You know that just a few years back the electric service was not as stable as we have it now right? Was the solution back then to say we need to keep playing with wooden horses and marbles because the electricity was not as stable? Or was it to keep pushing for the electric service to improve?

Just few years back electricity was not stable? xD

And no, the solution is to have BOTH. Online play and offline play. I like playing online, just not streaming. And again, for many people streaming is going to be a horrible experience and will remain so for many years to come. And then we go back to my other points: I like modding, customizing and owning my games. People don't want to own electricity you know, but they do want to own games. It's just a terrible comparison.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So the day that Stadia allows you to sell your games to another Stadia user and the image quality is indistinguishable from local gaming you will jump in?
No. I only buy physical copies. I hate Steam as well, honestly.

You're not going to win on this. I'm anti-digital library and it's not changing. Period.

Beyond that, the difference between Doom Eternal on PC vs Stadia is night and day. As large or larger than Switch vs PC.