• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Towards the end of the episode, we are introduced to the United Earth President, played by Abrams. And it was a pretty lengthy scene too, not just a quick cameo and a line. Anyways, the "wHy Is StAr TrEk So WoKe?!" crowd is naturally angry, which makes the appearance even better.

FOKedxyWUAUatrM

Also posting this because Wilson Cruz is the most photogenic person on the planet.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They would let a Black Woman run things when everything is fucked up

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Loved seeing her. It's a bit on the nose, but Discovery isn't exactly a subtle show haha

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Wilson Cruz is just unfair lol. Here's a few more cameos btw.

It's hilarious how badly the right wingers are reacting to this.

Plus in Star Trek Picard this week there was a reference that all Federation people seem to have vaccination chips, and that's sending the alt Star Trek reddit into a fit.

Jan 29, 2018
She's apparently a huge Trekkie and apparently insisted on being able to do her scene without getting spoiled on the season she was going to be in.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

It's hilarious how badly the right winger are reacting to this.
Plus in Star Trek Picard this week there was a reference that all Federation people seem to have vaccination chips, and that's sending the alt Star Trek reddit into a fit.

Do these people watch Star Trek for the phaser noises? It's like the chuds that say comics were never potlical

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Loved seeing her. It's a bit on the nose, but Discovery isn't exactly a subtle show haha

Star Trek is well known for diveristy in casting, but it's kind of amazing how far Discovery has gone with it. A major franchise, and I really can't think of any show with a more diverse cast.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
it's not like these people watch Discovery. They go on every Star Trek video about every other Star Trek to tell you they don't watch Star Trek Discovery or Picard.

also, they're the same twats that claim TOS was never progressive or political.

Jun 20, 2021
Stacey Abrams is a HUGE fucking nerd who is obsessed with Doctor Who so it only makes sense that she pops up in Star Trek.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

It's hilarious how badly the right wingers are reacting to this.

Love seeing all the Star Trek canon-purists get upset over every little thing. Meanwhile I'm just enjoying all the hand grenades Lower Decks throws into the canon every week.

Star Trek has never been subtle lol

That's very fair lol

Star Trek is well known for diveristy in casting, but it's kind of amazing how far Discovery has gone with it. A major franchise, and I really can't think of any show with a more diverse cast.

Yup, love to see it

Nothing like people calling Star Trek "too woke" with no sense of irony whatsoever.

There isn't a bigger bunch of losers than conservative Star Trek fans

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek depicts the future of humanity as a whole, and even as it pushed the expectations of diversity on TV, humanity as a whole isn't as white as classic Trek.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm surprised they haven't had AOC do voice work with her hero on Prodigy yet.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Stacey Abrams is a HUGE fucking nerd who is obsessed with Doctor Who so it only makes sense that she pops up in Star Trek.

Apparently one of the conditions of her appearing was that no-one on the cast or crew was allowed to spoil anything that happened this season.
She wanted to experience it as normal!

Do these people watch Star Trek for the phaser noises? It's like the chuds that say comics were never potlical

All the usual Phantom Menace YouTubers are having breakdowns over this. Some are even personally attacking Abrams.
They're not even trying to pretend to hide it at this point.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta love the irony of dipshit alt right Star Trek fans being Trekkies in the first place given the core values of the franchise.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who she is, looks like she's a politician. What's so "woke" about it? Seems like people will just complain about anything. Maybe stunt casting, but that's not new to Trek but what's woke about having another black woman in a show led by a black woman and full of minorities?

For someone who doesn't know who she is, she just came in to say yes we'll rejoin federation and it felt like s triumphant moment. Didn't think anything else of it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't know who she is, looks like she's a politician. What's so "woke" about it? Seems like people will just complain about anything.

For someone who doesn't know who she is, she just came in to say yes we'll rejoin federation and it felt like s triumphant moment. Didn't think anything else of it.
she's basically one of the reasons trump didnt get a second term... at least not YET :(

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I have a co worker that's always blasting right wing radio in the room that he works in. He's alone and it's loud in there so they let him do this. Anyways I hear the radio guy complaining about what gives her the right to be president of the Earth.

I didn't hear anything that pointed to him talking about a woman so I thought it was actually about Biden from Zelensky's speach. I later saw tweets about Abrams being President on Star Trek last night on Twitter and finally put it together lol.

Those host were really upset about this. One dude just kept going on about how he doesn't understand what gives her the right to be president of the world šŸ¤£

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not into Star Trek, haven't watched anything except the two newest movies and the one with baby Tom Hardy but even I know that's just how it is?

Like they had the first interracial kiss (I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong!) on TV. Can you imagine what fucking racist meltdowns that lead to back then and how bad it would be with Youtube, Twitter and Reddit?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall the right wing getting upset when Patrick Leahy appeared in various Batman productions. I wonder why? šŸ¤”

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Discovery is the highest rated show on Paramount Plus, so these angry right-wing chuds can stay mad all they want. This cameo from Abrams was like Discovery's victory lap. This recent season was pretty great.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised they're not more upset at the fact there's a president of the world in the future. Aren't most of these alt-right, right chuds anti-globalization, pro-nationalist?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the final ep was a bit shit...

...but it definitely wasn't for this (I don't even know who she is!).

Edit - Oh, shit, yes I do. Final ep now infinitely better than I thought it was!

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I thought this show was not good going by what I've heard. Is show worth watching? I've only seen next generation.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this show was not good going by what I've heard. Is show worth watching? I've only seen next generation.

The show had some stumbles, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's terrible or horrible.Discovery had a far better start to its series than the likes of TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. It definitely improved as it went on, as is the usual with Star Trek. This recent season was pretty great, and it's in a setting that's totally new for Star Trek.

It's also the most well produced Star Trek show ever made, it looks stunning. So yeah, give it a shot.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing like people calling Star Trek "too woke" with no sense of irony whatsoever.

Yeah, wtf? It's been "woke" from the start. Black people and women have been in positions of power all throughout the different shows and (I'm assuming) movies, yet somehow, a Black woman as president is going too far? As if it was never a possibility in the entire time that Star Trek has been a thing?

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

It starts a bit rough (like most Trek shows), but it finds it's footing quickly in season 2, and season 3 has a pretty major shake up to the status quo (for the better). The cast is quite good, especially once they start letting the supporting cast do more.

It is VERY serialized though, not an episode of the week think like Next Gen was.