• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have to disagree there, SSX 2012 was shadow of former self as far as the franchise goes.
Also dubstep is always a minus, noise is not music.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was shit.

I loved the PS2 games, and would kill for a remaster of them. The 2012 'reboot' doesn't deserve to even use the name SSX in comparison.

Biggest disappointment of last gen for me quite honestly.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem is that the reboot robbed the series if it's character. It felt like any other snowboarding game in terms of visual design when this was a series that had a course take place on an iceberg off if Hawaii. The game just felt so generic and a lot of the needless gameplay additions just diluted what was good or were just actively worse .

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Blur and On Tour are fucking awful SSX products though

You're right. I really meant out of the mainline 1/tricky/3 list.

And the point of the "many don't agree with you" part is referencing how most replies to this thread want remakes / remasters of 1-3 rather than that 2012 game.

Have a great day :)

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
I think Godlike is a bit far, but it is quite good fun. It actually controls well, which puts it miles ahead of the original games.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Agree. SSX 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but SSX 2012 is far better than people give it credit for. It's got the classic gameplay and although the deadly descents part sucks, everything else about it is fantastic. I actually loved the global events and thought that was a really fun way to do multiplayer.

More people should actually give it a chance, I feel like far too many people wrote it off because they were told it's not as good as the older games.

lionhats

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, I have to disagree there, SSX 2012 was shadow of former self as far as the franchise goes.
Also dubstep is always a minus, noise is not music.

thankfully theres so much more music than dubstep

ssx on 360 is amazing. super smooth, fun, awesome easy to make mental cool combos, huge jumps, wingsuit, naked n famous, just awesome. so so slick.

ive played tricky/3/on tour since and before and yeh ssx 2012 is the best

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy 3 better but I would still play this on the Xbox One if the custom soundtrack feature was there. Hearing my own playlists get remixed along to the tricks I was doing was cool.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I got to play some ssx games back in the day. I had a good time with coolboarders 2001 but that was like the last of that series too.

It's a stretch to call any game godlike though

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried so hard to like but I couldn't. There was something with how you would setup yourself before a big jump that wasn't there in 2012.

I always felt that I couldn't setup myself up for a big launch then hold down triggers to pull off tricks. I dunno if I am making sense but after Tricky and 3, it was a massive let down.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Exactly. It's the strongest the series has ever been in SSX. It's completely natural in the game to rip yourself off the board, do a full bullring loop through a cave and rocket yourself out of the exit ramp. It's absolutely exhilarating. It's like pumping half pipes in skate. When you /feel/ the friction of the physics pushing you like a bullet through a barrel

I never played the previous games, but this one was my go to game to have incredible adrenaline pumping fun, alone or with friends.

We've mastered the wingsuitjitsu and were always trying to beat eash other on every map possible.

You gain speed you fly, you touche the ground jump and fly again.

Learning the boundaries of models and map in the process, learning that you can fly through some objects.

It was great and I would like to see it again in any remastered for on PC and consoles.

Lots of rose-colored glasses in here. SSX 2012 was good, and I enjoyed it. Before that, Tricky was my favorite. Going back to 2012 feels natural and fun. Going back to Tricky feels awkward and slow.

Old-school SSX fans feel like they're on the same level as die-hard modern Sonic fans who prioritize everything else except physics and raw game feel.

Like, I can't understand people who label it "the worst" not even being able to give it a nod for those slick controls. Usually the same people who would probably call the devs lazy or uninspired.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
It was good, I liked it, but not as good as SSX3. Too many gimmicks. Gameplay was tight though. If they ever want to make another SSX, they should make it in the same vein as Skate 3. Such a great concept, and it would really fit with the whole "conquer the mountain" thing they were going for.

Deleted member 36767

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Chicago
I preferred the original SSX released in 2000. That one had good simple controls yet the controls were complicated enough to pull off a lot of different tricks. Once they took instant control away from you - i.e. with Tricky where you would hit buttons and your avatar would do the worm on the board, etc. - it wasn't as good. Having the various grabs on all four triggers, then having the wind up on the Dpad was godlike. You get to the other games though and they never controlled as well again as a result in my opinion because of the lack of immediacy and having to wait for moves to finish.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
The aesthetic change from SSX3 made me never touch that game

and i'll probably still never touch it

The in-game aesthetics of SSX 2012 really weren't that different from SSX 3 to be honest. SSX 3 had colorful tracks on the first peak but peak 2 and 3 were pretty much the same style as the tracks in SSX 2012. SSX 3 had tracks that broke up and avalanches too — it's just that the tracks were still straightforward instead of having huge death traps.

SSX 2012 had many similarities to SSX 3's final events. I think a lot of people remember SSX 3 from just its first peak.

I also don't understand people that complain about the controls. If anything, that's the main positive about SSX 2012. It had a great control scheme/trick system that made coming off of big jumps really fun.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game worth $20 if I loved Tricky? I have some extra PSN credit and I really want to play an SSX game.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I know people complained about the more serious tone and the "dangers" present on a lot of the tracks. Honestly, I don't buy those complaints. The game was still incredibly over the top and battling against the elements was a huge factor in SSX 3 as well. Avalanches, pitfalls, etc. Peak 2 and 3 were full of that stuff.

Wow. I missed this post but you are spot on.

As I said in my previous posts, SSX 2012 wasn't as good as the first three games in my opinion but it was a solid game that pretty much felt like an SSX game that was based on the last two peaks of SSX 3.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I do like 3 and Tricky a lot, but had a ton of fun with 2012. Great soundtrack.
The asynchronous multiplayer was super cool imo. Spent hours trying to beat my friends ghosts and point totals.
I would love to see another SSX, but I doubt we will get one anytime soon or possibly ever.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the development team after SSX3? On Tour and 2012 were such departures from what made the series great there must have been some shake-up? They were these wild, colourful, over the top experiences that suddenly changed into a charmless grunge-fest then rebooted as Call of Snowboarding.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
What happened to the development team after SSX3? On Tour and 2012 were such departures from what made the series great there must have been some shake-up? They were these wild, colourful, over the top experiences that suddenly changed into a charmless grunge-fest then rebooted as Call of Snowboarding.

EA Big > EA Canada now basically.

The lead designer of the SSX reboot is now at The Coalition iirc

(SSX 2012 is just as wild and over the top as the other installments, I really don't get these bullshit 'call of snowboarding' jabs at all)

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned, the constant bottomless pits in some of the tracks kinda ruined the game for me. I stopped playing halfway through out of frustration. Wasn't a big fan of the deadly descents shit in general. But there's a really good core under that stuff and I had a lot of fun in the earlier levels. SSX 3 is still the best, but were the level design in SSX 2012 less focused on being "deadly" I could see it being my favorite.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
(SSX 2012 is just as wild and over the top as the other installments, I really don't get these bullshit 'call of snowboarding' jabs at all)

As I said before, people seem to only want to remember peak 1 of SSX 3. Peak 2 and peak 3 were very similar to SSX 2012's overall style (i.e.: not many colors).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the original SSX released in 2000. That one had good simple controls yet the controls were complicated enough to pull off a lot of different tricks. Once they took instant control away from you - i.e. with Tricky where you would hit buttons and your avatar would do the worm on the board, etc. - it wasn't as good. Having the various grabs on all four triggers, then having the wind up on the Dpad was godlike. You get to the other games though and they never controlled as well again as a result in my opinion because of the lack of immediacy and having to wait for moves to finish.

This guy gets it. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the original game

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Isn't SSX2012 like this? IE, each direction you could grab the board is mapped to the face buttons , with the triggers used for tweaks, and you can do different button combinations for a variety of moves? Not to mention canceling moves into other ones while in the air?

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
its a good game but i wouldve called it something not SSX, SSX is a very specific arcade type snowboarding game that this one kinda did away with, with the focus on trying to make the old aesthetic more realistic, EZA had a podcast where they had a good idea, just forget this reboot and launch an SSX4, that picks up where the 3rd left off and just act like 2012 never happened

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A new SSX is honestly my most wished for game right now. Too bad it probably won't happen

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Hardly. Most of the tracks sucked. Death pits galore. 30fps (which wasn't that bad, but just another mark against it).

And of course the gimmicks (the wingsuit was pretty cool tho).

It was a solid 8, but because Tricky and 3 were 9.5+, people called it trash. Third best entry in the franchise for me.

Less death pits and less trick speed would've gone a long way.

On Tour and Blur were better than 2012.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't SSX2012 like this? IE, each direction you could grab the board is mapped to the face buttons , with the triggers used for tweaks, and you can do different button combinations for a variety of moves? Not to mention canceling moves into other ones while in the air?

Yep. You had far more control of Uber tricks in SSX 2012 in comparison to SSX Tricky or SSX 3.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Such a great game, and probably one of the most under appreciated sports games of all time. It exposed a lot of casuals that were too lazy to git gud and learn the track instead of crying about instant death pits. I think SSX 2012 is the perfect example of how to evolve a franchise while maintaining the dna that made it unique.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
On Tour and Blur were better than 2012.

I never played Blur. I could understand people saying On Tour was better due to the tracks not having death pits. I'm mixed though. There are many things that SSX 2012 does that are far better than SSX On Tour. SSX on Tour didn't have online play either which was a major loss for me considering I put many hours into SSX 3's online modes. SSX on Tour's Napoleon Dynamite sketchbook UI doesn't hold up very well either. I absolutely loved its soundtrack though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I so badly wish there was a PC version of the game so I can play it in 60 fps.

It ain't as good as Tricky or 3, but the game was still kick ass.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Like everyone else is saying, Tricky and 3 were the pinnacles of the franchise.

I miss those games so much.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
After this thread I'll give it another shot. When it first released, there was a huge fatigue/hangover from the extreme sports genre boom. Nowadays, its special when an extreme sports game is released. Time changes everything lol

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, SSX 2012 wasn't a bad game. Yeah it's not a Tricky or 3 but it can hold up on its own.

Yes, it has it's missteps in terms of the career mode pushing all that environmental shit on you and and some of the tracks are straight up awful but when your on that right track with a trick attack going on that's when the game is at it's most fun imo.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was hot garbage and a huge disappointment.

Took the fun right out and replaced it with death.

What a stupid idea.

SSX3 HD remaster? Please?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Bit too Xtreme for me. I prefer the more gentle nonsense of SSX1, 2 and 3. Played some SSX 3 today in fact. It's a joy forever. DIdn't hate SSX 2012 but I bounced off really easily.