• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
So I have been following all the news about the series X and ps5 and SSD seemed the most talked about feature of next gen .
I honestly thought it wasn't gonna be a big deal but after installing an SSD to my laptop I believe the hype . I bought a Lenovo legion y530 2 years ago with an i5 8300h and a gtx 1050ti . Now I admit I am not tech savvy and opted for the one with only an HDD to save money . All this time i have been struggling with how slow it was thinking the problem was because of the modest CPU and GPU. After reading about solutions to the problem many people recommended installing an SSD which I finally did today after ordering a 512 GB nvme from Newegg.
The improvement in speed and performance is simply staggering , everything open so fast and the boot up time improved 10 fold . Knowing that the SSD in PS5 is much faster than the one I have make me extremely excited for next gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So I have been following all the news about the series X and ps5 and SSD seemed the most talked about feature of next gen .
I honestly thought it wasn't gonna be a big deal but after installing an SSD to my laptop I believe the hype . I bought a Lenovo legion y530 2 years ago with an i5 8300h and a gtx 1050ti . Now I admit I am not tech savvy and opted for the one with only an HDD to save money . All this time i have been struggling with how slow it was thinking the problem was because of the modest CPU and GPU. After reading about solutions to the problem many people recommended installing an SSD which I finally did today after ordering a 512 GB nvme from Newegg.
The improvement in speed and performance is simply staggering , everything open so fast and the boot up time improved 10 fold . Knowing that the SSD in PS5 is much faster than the one I have make me extremely excited for next gen.

Now imagine building a game engine targeting a ssd that is super fast, and has 6 lanes of priority with a custom i/o. Giant detailed characters and worlds are going to be amazing.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I know people are hyping the PS5 SSD, but ANY nvme SSD in a console is going to be fantastic honestly, and PS5 first party should be great.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Now imagine building a game engine targeting a ssd that is super fast, and has 6 lanes of priority with a custom i/o. Giant detailed characters and worlds are going to be amazing.

I'm trying to picture the next God of War or whatever Naughty Dog is doing next and i actually get goosebumps.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
System responsiveness is a large part of why I wanna buy this console day 1. Also games like Hitman or XCOM are going to be finally playable instead of looking at loading screen all the time

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I can't wait for them!

I was tempted to make a thread a few weeks ago when playing Metro Exodus on console I had to wait almost 5 minutes for a loading

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019

We are still talking about data speed, right? At some point the data has to be processed by the cpu/gpu.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah... im advocating for years that there should not BE a laptop option unter 1000 with a HDD. Non techy consumers are buying machines that cant use half of the possible power they have, because the seller sold them a laptop that has "2x memory to save pictures" for the same price... and with that it costed them weeks of their life, depending how long they use the pc.

good for you that you tried it. depending on the HDD/SSD/price/etc the difference can be between 5x to 20x.
And opening stuff in 1 instead of 5 seconds, booting in 15 instead of 90 seconds is huge. these times change how you use hardware. If you can start it that fast, you shut it down more often, and save on electricity. Its more like locking your phone.

And SSDs usually take somewhat less electricity, so there are a view % more battery life. And its a non mechanical drive, so no motor noise, and it (in most cases) doesnt die when the notebook falls to the ground.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
We are still talking about data speed, right? At some point the data has to be processed by the cpu/gpu.
Yeah, thats why they had a side processor just for decompressing. Cerneys presentation had a segment on this, where it increases the throughput by a huge factor with that. (as far as i know they already use this, its just the improved variant with ned codecs in the PS5)

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, NVMe SSDs are excellent. HDDs are ancient technology.
Well, magnet tapes are ancient, and even with them i know some companys that still use them because they are the cheapest variant for backups. But yeah, HDDs still have a place as a cheaper variant for backups and archiving of big data (video fotage, audio recordings, fotographs)... but NOT for an OS/Workdrive.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, magnet tapes are ancient, and even with them i know some companys that still use them because they are the cheapest variant for backups. But yeah, HDDs still have a place as a cheaper variant for backups and archiving of big data (video fotage, audio recordings, fotographs)... but NOT for an OS/Main drive.

Yeah, I meant for enthusiast hardware. I work in IT and recognize where HDDs can be applied.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally I installed my first NVMe M.2 drive today, and holy SHIT. It's as high above an SSD as an SSD is above an HDD. It's wild.

Can't recommend this tech highly enough to everyone. It makes an incredible difference.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the first time you use an SSD after using an HDD for years is staggering. I for years would buy games on pc instead of consoles even when I would rather play on console purely because of the speed of SSD. Monster Hunter World PC load times would literally save you hours sitting at load screens compared to PS4 (base game anyway, haven't compared iceborne)

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

As someone else mentioned with the other chip they have to help process, Sony is more trying to alleviate work loads and improve development. ANd you can throw more GPU power, more CU's, higher GHZ and it's not going to have as big of an impact as making the talking and pipe faster and shorter between the components.

Why do games scale even on older CPU's/GPU'S? Because the biggest bottleneck will always be how the transfer of assets to memory to cpu/gpu from SSD and back.

That issue has now been corrected because of SSD's. But now even more so because the way Sony deisgned pS5 I/O with csutom chip, and 6 priority lanes.

Oh, yeah okay. Since where in a thread by a person that did not knew the advantage, i was maybe a bit to defensive of the old tech =D

I also work in IT in broadcast, and HDD's have their place for mass storage of large data that doesn't have to move at breaking speeds. HDD's also have better odds of recovery and have smaller failure rates overall.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I actually put an SSD in my PC for the first time last week. The difference is staggering I put my OS onto it and now my computer is ready to go in 5 seconds or less after I turn it on

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Coincidentally I installed my first NVMe M.2 drive today, and holy SHIT. It's as high above an SSD as an SSD is above an HDD. It's wild.

Can't recommend this tech highly enough to everyone. It makes an incredible difference.

Give us an example. I can't wait. Sounds rad....

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
As someone else mentioned with the other chip they have to help process, Sony is more trying to alleviate work loads and improve development. ANd you can throw more GPU power, more CU's, higher GHZ and it's not going to have as big of an impact as making the talking and pipe faster and shorter between the components.

Why do games scale even on older CPU's/GPU'S? Because the biggest bottleneck will always be how the transfer of assets to memory to cpu/gpu from SSD and back.

That issue has now been corrected because of SSD's. But now even more so because the way Sony deisgned pS5 I/O with csutom chip, and 6 priority lanes.

I also work in IT in broadcast, and HDD's have their place for mass storage of large data that doesn't have to move at breaking speeds. HDD's also have better odds of recovery and have smaller failure rates overall.
While thats essentially what i wrote a post before ... ;)

The point with failure rates: shure? My last information was, that the first view gens had a problem with the limited write cycles and random failures, but in the last view years where essentially on par with HDDs, and on mobile devices even better (mechanical strain of moving around vs staying stationary in a server rack)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's phenomenal on PC for load times.

Completed AC Odyssey recently on PS4 Pro and it's a 3 and a half minute load time from game boot to playing... I need to compare that to my PC with it's SSD which is probably about 20% the speed of the PS5's SSD.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Damn guys, don't fall for those UE5 bullshots... SSDs are on PC for several years and there's nothing like you saw in that UE5 trailer (the last sequence). I don't think we'll see something like that unless it's fully pre-generated, even with SSDs.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to wait at least another year until I get a 2TB SSD NVMe drive, it's $430 right now and can't justify to spend that much money on a drive that cost as much as a new console price. I'll just use whatever Sony ship the PS5 with until the prices goes down.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Due to an accident while setting up my PC, I installed my OS on my regular hard drive. After my OS got borked, I splurged and bought a 1TB SSD and put it on that. Holy shit the load times. I think my OS boots up in like three seconds. Load times on games are non-existent. If there's like cool lore bits, I don't get to read them unless the game makes me click a button to proceed.

So yeah, major difference.

OP
OP
AM_LIGHT

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017

Now imagine my shock jumping from a 5400 rpm HDD straight to an NVMe M.2.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Damn guys, don't fall for those UE5 bullshots... SSDs are on PC for several years and there's nothing like you saw in that UE5 trailer (the last sequence). I don't think we'll see something like that unless it's fully pre-generated, even with SSDs.

Did you forget the "/s" at the end of your post?

If not, I think you're gonna be in for a huge surprise ;)

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Being a PC user mainly its eye opening to see that alot of folks aren't used to ssd speeds yet.

I'm glad consoles are finally going to be utilizing them

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Give us an example. I can't wait. Sounds rad....
Windows installed in...I don't know, I didn't check, a minute?

Ninite finished installing 14 or so commonly used programs of mine (Chrome, Audacity, Zoom, Discord, etc. etc.) in about a minute.

I dunno. It's just nuts. I feel like *I* can't keep up with the machine, at times.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Did you forget the "/s" at the end of your post?

If not, I think you're gonna be in for a huge surprise ;)
Well, I would like to believe but I've been burned up so many times in the past. I can believe the first part but not when she's flying around. Show me that again but pause during the flight and show me the camera around.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to wait at least another year until I get a 2TB SSD NVMe drive, it's $430 right now and can't justify to spend that much money on a drive that cost as much as a new console price. I'll just use whatever Sony ship the PS5 with until the prices goes down.

Yeah, my current PC was built in 2012 and I'm long overdue for a replacement. I think I'll wait until after the PS5 is out to see what the tech landscape is like and then I'll make my move. Not necessarily aiming for a gaming PC, but I wouldn't mind the option if the need arises. Probably set a $1,500 CDN budget or something along those lines.

PS5 is gonna soak up a large chunk of change though. Between the console (and 2 more for the nieces and nephews), the inevitable PSVR2, games, subscriptions, a new large TV, a new sound system, a nice set of headphones and who knows what else the new PC may have to wait a bit, lol.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i put an ssd in my moms laptop as a christmas present two years ago

it was basically as if i bought her a new laptop

thing turns on faster than my rig haha

Well, I would like to believe but I've been burned up so many times in the past. I can believe the first part but not when she's flying around. Show me that again but pause during the flight and show me the camera around.

the speed at which assets could be loaded in has always been the bottleneck for fast-moving scenes

just look at the spider-man early ps5 video for an example

the ps4 running an hdd has to stop to load

with the ssd, there's no stoppage because all the data is instantly accessible

you can be as wary as you want, it def doesn't come from an un-reasonable standpoint

you'll be happily surprised when ps5 games start being shown :)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mean yeah, this is about what 5-10 years late though? I remember Anand of Anandtech really extolling the virtues of SSD's many years ago and opening my eyes to them. As he said back then, it's the single best upgrade to the average system (back then it was mostly HDD of course)

Great how much prices have come down. I remember when 40-60GB SSD's were around 120 bucks. You bought one mostly to boot from only, maybe a few apps. Heck my system had a 128GB SSD as boot drive up until like a month ago because even a couple years ago that cost around that 100 buck mark.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

The UE5 demo was meant to be playable at GDC, but of course that never happened because GDC didn't happen. It's fully playable and Epic aren't normally in the business of bullshotting AFAIK. Not to mention Sony wouldn't want any scandals tied to the PS5.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Now imagine when all games are made to take advantage of that tech? It will be one of the biggest game-changers on this industry in a while

I mean yeah, this is about what 5-10 years late though? I remember Anand of Anandtech really extolling the virtues of SSD's many years ago and opening my eyes to them. As he said back then, it's the single best upgrade to the average system (back then it was mostly HDD of course)

Not really. SSDs had really prohibitive prices until recently. It was definitely not feasible to have one of those on a console 7 years ago and even most PC gamers couldn't afford having a big enough one until very recently, so developing games to take advantage of it would mean a very small crowd being able to play your games.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Getting my new PC last year with an SSD was just... mindblowing.

"Well, let's see what this new PC can do, I'll just power on, sit down and... Wait, it's ready?!"

Boot times counted in seconds, rather than minutes is such a crazy gamechanger.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
In preparation of next gen I bought a external ssd for one x and its already making a huge difference. I can get from dashboard to playing Forza Horizon 4 in 58 seconds. That was like a 3 minute load before.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
System responsiveness is a large part of why I wanna buy this console day 1. Also games like Hitman or XCOM are going to be finally playable instead of looking at loading screen all the time

I mean it's gonna be great, but it wont change that 90% of games are boring. But that's a me problem...

I'm really excited about the UI speedups though.

Between getting powerful CPU's after years of trash (going back to even 360 and Ps3 days) AND SSD's, we really are getting a larger than normal leap this gen.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I see a huge difference on the OS level with applications, file browsing, ect., but I actually never really saw much a difference with most modern games. They load a tiny bit faster with SSD. You can tell with loading bars in games during online matches and my friends with their game loaded on SSD finish the same time or 1-2 seconds ahead of me. I bet if modern games were made for SSD it would probably see a better usage.