• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I had that split screen Donkey Kong and the 1983 horizontal multi screen Mario Brothers where you had to move parcels up and down conveyor belts.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I had a friend who would loan me his Terminator Tiger handheld. That game was pretty good. I had a Sonic Spinball one that I played constantly, but that one was a bit too easy.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
My fave was Mattel Football 2. I picked up one when they were re-released a few years ago and still remembered all the moves.

OP
OP
Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
images

There was a handheld version of this that I owned.

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid I had this awesome game:
41S43M5FHYL.jpg

I also had another one that you switched out the screen overlay and flipped a switch and could play soccer, hockey, and basketball:
vintage-toytronic-multi-sport-game_1_689f4978600543677af6099afddd52af.jpg

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a ton of Tiger stuff and one Game and Wach (wish I remember which one, I only remember the case) but I played this piece of shit the most:

coleco-football.jpg

And this puppy a lot until it broke on me:

fd47836dad5d6dd2558881e7d998b18c--best-friends-comic-book.jpg

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
il_570xN.1201623948_6b1c.jpg

Played the hell outta the Ninja Gaiden handheld on a car trip from NY to Tennessee to see my grandparents in '88. I think I got a Gameboy the next summer so 😁

Dec 22, 2017
I have all four in the OP and about 20 more. I love, love , love these wack old handhelds. There are a ton of weird Casio ones out there too. Some of the Game & Watch games are still somewhat playable now, but I mostly like them because they look cool.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Game and Watch was slightly before my time, but I had plenty of the Tiger LCD handheld games. I played a stupid amount of Baseball despite my complete ambivalence towards competitive sports.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Maybe I'm too young (I rarely say that) or something but these things were utter crap when I was a kid and zero other kids were clamoring for them.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I had a bunch of Tiger electronics in the mid 90s because my parents were too cheap to buy me a gameboy.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Game & Watch games. My most played was a table top Mario's Cement Factory. Later Tiger handhelds didn't have the same appeal but I did play Karnov a good amount.

I still have Space Crusher. I bought it in 1986 and it still works perfectly.
epoch-tandy-grandstand-radio-shack-space-crusher-lcd-game-watch-handheld_05.jpg

What year were you 8? These were rad when there were no alternatives
Yeah, I think most people saying they were garbage were likely playing post-Game Boy and/or Tiger ones, not the Game & Watch/Coleco era.

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I never saw a game and watch as a kid, not even once. I had a bunch of Tiger Electronics though. I beat Snake's Revenge lmao

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I never saw a game and watch as a kid, not even once. I had a bunch of Tiger Electronics though. I beat Snake's Revenge lmao

Same. I grew up in the right time frame for Game & Watch, but I never saw, or even heard of them as a kid. I still take their existence on hearsay. I played that terrible football game, and other LCD handhelds, but they were universally bad. The only ones that I thought were actually playable were the Coleco mini arcades.

Edit: those Coleco mini arcades weren't LCDs at all, but VFD. I stand by my earlier statement that all LCD games are bad now, and were bad even then.

Last edited:

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
I still have a tonne of them from when I was a kid. The original game and watch ones too. Even have the Nintendo panarama ones. They're going on display in my man cave soon.

Those things are worth a good chunk of money as I'm now trying to round out my collection with ones I never had. If they are in good condition, you can easily fetch $200 bucks and up depending on the rarity.

The later ones that Tiger made don't fetch that much though

(If anyone has a Zelda or punch out they want to part with, I'd be happy to buy it and give it a good home)

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these were truly crap, but some of the Game and Watch ones were nice and really fun. I own:
- Octopus
OctopusGame.png

- Mickey & Donald
nintendo-game---watch---multi-screen---mickey---donald--loose--p-image-278222-grande.jpg

- Green House
Green_House.jpg

I love all three, and think they have some of the most fun gameplay and best visual design of this type of games. They also have that classic Nintendo build quality, everything feels so nice and solid, highest quality plastic, and metal parts.

They are also kind of insanely expensive nowadays. Some of them go for several hundred dollars, if they are well preserved.

Last edited:

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
I had a few of the Game and Watch, but my favorite handheld has always be Dungeons and Dragons. Still got it somewhere around here.

proximage.php
Oh my god.

This hitting me in the feels right now. Like, you wouldn't believe.

I adored all the old Tiger Electronics and went in on those metal Nintendos, but this one here... I think I wore through 3 of them.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I played several of these as a kid, and we had a couple of not-too-terrible generic (or possibly Radio Shack brand) folding ones.

The best ones were a barely serviceable substitute to the home consoles of the day (2600 and Co.). Most of them were utter crap. You can only do so much with non-moving pictures.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I was obsessed with Game & Watch and my young days in Fiji had my parents running around trying to find batteries for the damn thing almost every week (99% unsuccessful).

I had quite a collection: Manhole, Donkey Kong Jr, Parachute, Octopus, Snoopy Tennis, Rain Shower and this awesome boxing one with 2 players:

jaquette-front.gif

Those little rubber buttons were so well made I ended up chewing on them and ruining the jump button on the Donkey Kong Jr game.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Heck I think I had one...and now I can't remember what.

Maybe Double Dragon????

Cool thread man! I had fun with these things.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had a tecmo bowl one that was obviously not as good as the nes or snes version but I still played that shit for a solid 5 years minimum. Every family road trip or holiday I was tearing up the gridiron.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I was too old for the Game & Watch type, and too poor for the Mattel/Coleco versions. My wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me the original GameBoy that was my first handheld game of any kind.