• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Good luck with that. I can totally see them doing one in July or August. They're not in a hurry.
tenor.gif

200.gif

6YC.gif
0b530cec2293ae4ca7cf23f72c94b7ad_w200.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure I'd count FFXV under the "licensed music" thing, btw? I'm admittedly a complete chump when it comes to understanding the music industry, but Florence and her gang of musical misfits composed those tracks specifically for the game. Or at least, that's what she told me at a concert last year.

(And by "me," I mean everybody in attendance, but "me" sounds so much cooler.)
LMAO me when I said "I met Sakaguchi at Uncovered"

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Can they keep Terra's green hair and Faris purple hair.

I never liked how Amano game them boring blonde hair in the art

Oct 31, 2017
I love Amano but his depiction of Bartz just does not fit the character at all. I never even liked him in Dissidia either.
Amano art to me are paintings portraying the games in a dreamlike fashion. They don't belong inside the game.
02.jpg

ffv_cutscene.0.png

SE loses the source code for FFVIII and other PS1 classics but doesn't lose this design

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The one thing I can say here, though, is that if the ports are the mobile versions, something has changed considerably from what I've heard multiple times. <_<

...interesting.

Again, I just wanna see if someone's been able to do something that Wonderswan version of FF3 that never saw the light of day!

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
he said "depending on what you consider big", FFXVI is the main title, there would be no point in saying that.
It's probably FF Origins, since Khan said it was part of the conference
Yeah. FF XVI should be the biggest FF game right now along with VII Remake Part 2 (which isn't gonna be announced until 2022, I bet).

I totally expect Origin at the stream. And I mean, there was never reason to worry: it's getting an alpha this Summer, after all.

As for XVI, at Sony's. Which we sadly don't know if such an event even exists for this month.
The one thing I can say here, though, is that if the ports are the mobile versions, something has changed considerably from what I've heard multiple times. <_<
Glad to hear, cheers. Hopefully they do the games justice.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The portrait art bugs me, too. Especially with FFV. It doesn't suit the characters tonally at all. lol

The two nightmare scenarios for me are mobile ports of 1-6 or straight Rom dumps of the FC/SFC originals.

I think what most people want is something like the PSP versions…but I just don't trust SE to give us something of that quality.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Square are gonna make us wait a year to see FFXVI again.

what a joke

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The two nightmare scenarios for me are mobile ports of 1-6 or straight Rom dumps of the FC/SFC originals.

I think what most people want is something like the PSP versions…but I just don't trust SE to give us something of that quality.
In the end, I'd happily take rom dumps, if it meant someone like M2 is on board.

M2 are the type that would probably find a way to patch the best of the later releases' content in to the original versions. There's at least a healthy bit of precedence there.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Square are gonna make us wait a year to see FFXVI again.

what a joke

0 chance. Unless you meant a year since the reveal.

he said "depending on what you consider big", FFXVI is the main title, there would be no point in saying that.
It's probably FF Origins, since Khan said it was part of the conference

Read their followup summary post. They said big stuff will be there just not everything.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
In the end, I'd happily take rom dumps, if it meant someone like M2 is on board.

M2 are the type that would probably find a way to patch the best of the later releases' content in to the original versions. There's at least a healthy bit of precedence there.
Not in a ROM dump. They'd have to add new bosses and dungeons. That'd jsut be a straight ROM Hack. Which seems like more effort than SE would afford a FF port.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Not in a ROM dump. They'd have to add new bosses and dungeons. That'd jsut be a straight ROM Hack. Which seems like more effort than SE would afford a FF port.

Even so, I could see "ROM hacks" being possible if they really wanted to make this collection a bit more palatable. Or at the least, much more worth the asking price of $59.99-69.99+ MSRP.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least we are going to see FF Origin.

E3 is saved.

Anything about Forspoken too or we have to wait until Sony event?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Unless someone states flatly and definitively: "XVI is not in SEs show", I don't think there's a good reason to buy into that idea.

People are acting like Sony doesn't let partners discuss the games they're the ones making to begin with, which is nonsense without precedent. Marketing deals aren't that severe (publishing deals are) and it wouldn't make sense for one to be now, since the point of promotion... is promotion. It's not like when they did this with CoD; The game is already exclusive, so why try to gag Square? They should want SE to be talking about Final Fantasy XVI, exclusively on the PlayStation 5™️ at every given opportunity.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020

I just think with the extra content and translations, it's more trouble than it's worth to back port to the SNES editions. I'm quietly optimistic about PSP-esque editions. SE have fairly modern versions of 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 with all additional content, bug fixes and translations. Even the mobile versions of 5 and 6 would be a fair base to build something better off. It's really just the UI and sprites that are bad.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I just think with the extra content and translations, it's more trouble than it's worth to back port to the SNES editions. I'm quietly optimistic about PSP-esque editions. SE have fairly modern versions of 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 with all additional content, bug fixes and translations. Even the mobile versions of 5 and 6 would be a fair base to build something better off. It's really just the UI and sprites that are bad.

Assuming M2 are indeed the ones at work here, I think the thing is that they'd probably be more inclined to work with the original code (or close to it) as much as possible, and just add-on from there. Which could be interesting to see, if it meant that they'd be doing more work for all the games that stand to be in that pack.

At the very least, even if I don't get my desire for the legendary "Wonderswan version of FF3", it would be nice to finally get an official translation of the Famicom original. FF2, as well, for that matter.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
As for portraits, all I know is that I'd rather not have them in regular dialogue boxes, just in menus is enough.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Assuming M2 are indeed the ones at work here, I think the thing is that they'd probably be more inclined to work with the original code (or close to it) as much as possible, and just add-on from there. Which could be interesting to see, if it meant that they'd be doing more work for all the games that stand to be in that pack.

At the very least, even if I don't get my desire for the legendary "Wonderswan version of FF3", it would be nice to finally get an official translation of the Famicom original. FF2, as well, for that matter.
Yeah I don't think it's M2 personally. I know they did Mana and Saga but that's a different SE division, and there are plenty of other companies SE work with for this kind of stuff.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The portraits in the psp version of FF IV are really cool but maybe I'm just nostalgic for them (really weird to say)

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it wouldnt make sense for Square to wait until Sony have an event to show more of FFXVI, they just showed a teaser for FFVIIR in a State of Play but that was before the big blowout of the game in E3 2019.

Its better for Square to have the game on their own stream, at least that is what i believe

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it wouldnt make sense for Square to wair until Sony have an event to show more of FFXVI, they just showed a teaser for FFVIIR in a State of Play before the big blowout of the game in E3 2019.

Its better for Square to have the game on their own stream, at least that is what i believe

Yeah, I think the thing is, an arrangement like this has no reason to be all or nothing. They could just as easily put in a really short tease and say "more soon" or even specifically mention Sony. To just not mention the game at all though? Doesn't make sense. And if you look at their social media stuff, it's mentioned in every reply. This is the thing people actually want to see.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I believe FF XVI will be there. They know people will be all eyes on this event. In 2015 they announced VII Remake in Sony's press then they had their own press event the next day and showed a 3 minutes trailer of KH III which no one ws expecting. And this was a game still 3 years+ away from release.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I love Amano but his depiction of Bartz just does not fit the character at all. I never even liked him in Dissidia either.
Amano art to me are paintings portraying the games in a dreamlike fashion. They don't belong inside the game.
I wouldn't mind getting rid of portraits on dialog boxes, but reserving them for the menu screens. And for the menu ones, I say axe the Amano-styled portraits (fine with FFVI, but look off in FFV) and get Nomura to custom design portraits for each of the playable characters (with a look that's more true to the sprites' design).

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont see Sony having two Square games in the State of Play too.

Going by this, Forspoken is a PS5 exclusive too and Sony would be the only one showing the game

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Square Enix would have shouted "FF16 will be here!" from the rooftops if FF16 were going to be here. They even confirmed the presence of the unannounced Eidos Montreal game whose identity is such a big mystery to us.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
I think Square Enix would have shouted "FF16 will be here!" from the rooftops if FF16 were going to be here. They even confirmed the presence of the unannounced Eidos Montreal game whose identity is such a big mystery to us.
Yeah I agree with this, there's no reason for them not to be headlining the event with it. And im pretty sure people are expecting it to be there so if it was im not sure why they'd be trying to hide it as a surprise or something.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
To be fair, if there's a company that could treat an announced game (that they even promised information of this year) as a surprise, that's S-E. But yeah, I think XVI won't be at the stream, for some reason.

Navtra and Kagari's comments in this page make me more confident about either:
  1. Sony having a SoP soonish with FF XVI in it.
  2. SGF's kick-off event showing FF XVI.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

They said most of the lineup is under wraps and they have plenty of already announced things they also could've just mentioned, but didn't. Endwalker? TWEWY2? DQ3 remake? There's hype for these games. They just aren't talking about everything.

And the western stuff is what needs the help because there's much less hype for it and, as Avengers bore out, even just being tied to a big license isn't any sort of guarantee of success.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
My gut tells me this will be Eidos focused, not really expecting FF. I would love to be wrong though.

Was there a SquareEnix presents last year? And if yes, were there any FF announcements?

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
My gut tells me this will be Eidos focused, not really expecting FF. I would love to be wrong though.

Was there a SquareEnix presents last year? And if yes, were there any FF announcements?

There was, and Athia/Forspoken made a surprise appearance witha new trailer and name reveal.

Square-Enix Japan has always had a strong presence in their E3 events.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I dont see Sony having two Square games in the State of Play too.

Going by this, Forspoken is a PS5 exclusive too and Sony would be the only one showing the game

Aren't Forspoken and 16 the same level of exclusivity?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Big name Square Enix Presents? No, they only revived that brand in the west this year.

Minor SE Presents? All the time in Japan:

www.jp.square-enix.com

SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS

「SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS」は、スクウェア・エニックスの様々なタイトルの情報を発信する生放送や動画コンテンツをお届けする、公式ストリーミング配信スタジオです。