• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Crunching from home sounds like a special kind of hell, personally, but it's good that employees have the option to choose what works best for them (hopefully).

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Whilst working from home definitely has pros and cons, good on SE for giving the option.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Crunching from home sounds like a special kind of hell, personally, but it's good that employees have the option to choose what works best for them (hopefully).

Definitely, but also, international companies version of "crunch" hours is literally just the average Japanese companies work day sadly. This is a country where even school teachers are at work until midnight for some crazy ass reason that after all these years here I still can't figure out what they are possibly doing that late.

Either way, glad to see a big name gaming company change their ideas on it. When WFH started around the world Japan was resisting and still is hard, some firms made a change mostly to seem progressive and went back weeks later. Some more modern companies had no issue with the change... others you would see their company president on TV, and I'm not making this up, lift a computer monitor and say "computers are kinda heavy, so working from home will be tough..."

Good shit for not being that guy SE!

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, other companies blame their delays and problems on remote working. Which I doubt.
If their pipeline isnt adapted and they're still getting into the hang of remote working? I can see it happpening.

Not to mention the issue was extra peculiar for some Japanese devs, where some dont have PCs that can be their workstation or even worse, their apartments dont have enough power for it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been working from home forever, I'm somewhat desperate to get back into an office. Square Enix is doing a great job, but it's so much easier for me to be creative when in a space with creative people.

That said, the option is nice. I think making a couple days a week "office days" where the whole team can get together and the other days being home or work (their choice) would be chill.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I just love having the option.

I of course miss going into the studio and seeing everybody, but I also really enjoy being able to roll out of bed with a cup of coffee and get right to it, then maybe take a nap for lunch break.

Glad to see some companies are adopting this flexibility permanently. Ubisoft has had "flextime" in certain studios for a while, so it's cool to see this slowly becoming standard.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been working from home forever, I'm somewhat desperate to get back into an office. Square Enix is doing a great job, but it's so much easier for me to be creative when in a space with creative people.

That said, the option is nice. I think making a couple days a week "office days" where the whole team can get together and the other days being home or work (their choice) would be chill.

i'm of the mind that we should have four eight hour days, if we have to stick to any sort of 'work week' at all. why adhere to a decision made over 100 years ago for a completely different culture and society? from there, maybe have one office-wide office day and one teamwide office day and everything else is conditional to the person.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been working home since March and I don't wanna go back.

This is a good move for people that want that - hopefully other industries follow soon.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i'm of the mind that we should have four eight hour days, if we have to stick to any sort of 'work week' at all. why adhere to a decision made over 100 years ago for a completely different culture and society? from there, maybe have one office-wide office day and one teamwide office day and everything else is conditional to the person.
Tragedy of the Commons...any company willingly sacrificing 20% of their productivity is going to be at a significant disadvantage. You might be able to get employees to accept slightly lower salaries for the increased work/life balance, but likely not much.

Typically, you need unions and large scale action to create change on that scale. Sadly, unions have been steadily eroded for a long, long time.

Oct 30, 2017
Good move… no commute and it's better for the enviroment.
Been working at home for two years now. It has it's pro's and con's…

Biggest issue for me is that work and home are completely interwoven now. Discipline also remains a tricky thing at times

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People unconsciously put in more work hours when working from home, don't get much movement and socialize a lot less, so I don't know if it will be "good for society at large". I for one am thrilled by the increasing amount of remote jobs, though, because I love to travel (which I can't do now, so it's just mind numbing sit-at-home-and-work shit right now).

Yep. Most people don't realize how, and in what way, taxing work from home can be.

Yup, if the culture of the company is bad, then work from home might just mean you get mobbed by calls and messages all day, and with no clear boundaries on what time work ends.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Tragedy of the Commons...any company willingly sacrificing 20% of their productivity is going to be at a significant disadvantage. You might be able to get employees to accept slightly lower salaries for the increased work/life balance, but likely not much.

Typically, you need unions and large scale action to create change on that scale. Sadly, unions have been steadily eroded for a long, long time.

well, it's just a theory, but i don't think there actually would be a reduction of productivity. there's still the work that needs to be done and the schedule that needs to be kept. except with a more even split between home and work life, the loss of the home life wouldn't be made up for with non-work in the office.

maybe a trial version with the last friday of every month being time off would be a test run to see how productivity is affected. if it works, do one in the middle of the month and keep checking in.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Great news! I've been WFH for like 8-9 months now and it's fine, at least on my end. Sure, there are a few meetings that would be best had in person as they involve several people, but besides that I'm fine. And, say, if something urgent has to be done at 9 pm or something and it doesn't really take too long, I have no problem hopping into it and then back to whatever I was doing.
Yup, if the culture of the company is bad, then work from home might just mean you get mobbed by calls and messages all day, and with no clear boundaries on what time work ends.
Yeah, that is a thing for sure. Fortunately in my case, the few times this has happened people would always ask and be kind about it, acknowledging whether it was an urgent matter or something that could wait. Hell, even when contacted durong 1-2 pm (lunch break) people would be like "You can answer later, I don't want to disturb your lunch".
With that said, I've heard from friends (especially media, PR and marketing agencies) that clients tend not to give a shit and send mails or text well past what would be a reasonable time.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Choice is always great! I personally think a balance of home working and office working (post-Covid world) is pretty important, though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just think about all the extra work you can do without a commute!

/s

Nah seriously it's a good idea, I think the changing of the office paradigm will be good for society at large

Honestly that was my first take in reading the title as I could see companies using this to justify more crunch time as you have no commute and therefore can work more as you are also in the comfort of your home. I think its a real concern.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
That's excellent news especially considering the struggles Japanese companies in particular were having with adapting to just temporary WFH arrangements.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This should be standard for jobs that can be done from home. But we all know as soon as Covid is over it's back to normal for 90% of employees, wasting time, energy and money on commuting.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Really awesome.

I really hope my company will also keep WFH in for at least 50% of the time, but I fear that post-COVID we'll be returning to the standard 5 days in the office sooner rather than later.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Nice, if I had a chance I would never put againg a feet in my office: no need to get up early, no need to see/stand coworkers, no need to hear what my lifeless boss has done during her uninteresting weekend, no need to drive my car to work, monthly diesel and parking expenses reduced, more quality time with friends and family, no need to explain to my coworkers why I don't care about thursday's afterwork beers with them, not having to see how uneducated people take others mugs in the kitchen and they don't even bother to clean it afterwards, not having to stand other people breath because they don't keep a minimum of personal higyne standards and they speak 50 cm from you (thank God masks have partially solve this issue) and a long etc.

Can you imagine? Just spend the minimum time in my work environment to get my duty done, and that's it.

Oh, a man can dream.

Congratulations to SE employees for such a great achivement.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, if I had a chance I would never put againg a feet in my office: no need to get up early, no need to see/stand coworkers, no need to hear what my lifeless boss has done during her uninteresting weekend, no need to drive my car to work, monthly diesel and parking expenses reduced, more quality time with friends and family, no need to explain to my coworkers why I don't care about thursday's afterwork beers with them, not having to see how uneducated people take others mugs in the kitchen and they don't even bother to clean it afterwards, not having to stand other people breath because they don't keep a minimum of personal higyne standards and they speak 50 cm from you (thank God masks have partially solve this issue) and a long etc.

Can you imagine? Just spend the minimum time in my work environment to get my duty done, and that's it.

Oh, a man can dream.

Congratulations to SE employees for such a great achivement.

Couldn't agree with you more. Hoping more and more companies see how unnecessary it is to have your whole workforce in a building working with computers 95% of the time, when tech has advanced so much that the same work can be done with the same or more efficiency from home.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I wonder how that can work for audio engineers and motion capture technicians.

Those roles requires a sound stage and a motion capture studio.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Working from home has been really great. It really cuts down on those people who come around to just talk to you and dont really need anything so you can actually focus on what you are doing. Also not having to deal with LA traffic has really reduced my stress.