• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
www.jp.square-enix.com

Square Enix to make work from home permanent as of December 1 -Mostly home-based hybrid model to strike balancex between flexibility and manageability- | SQUARE ENIX

Tokyo, Japan (November 25, 2020) - Square Enix CO., LTD. (headquarters: Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo; President and Representative Director Yosuke Matsuda; here...

www.gematsu.com

Square Enix to offer permanent work-from-home program as of December 1

Square Enix, which currently has a work-from-home system in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will officially offer a permanent work-from-home program to all executive officers and employees as o…

9b5ba4c77c4420e5bca1fb6db817561c.png

Here's the press release:

Square Enix said:
Tokyo, Japan (November 25, 2020) - Square Enix CO., LTD. (headquarters: Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo; President and Representative Director Yosuke Matsuda; hereinafter the "Company") currently enables work from home and will officially offer a permanent work-from-home program to all executive officers and employees as of December 1, 2020.

Rather than utilizing work from home solely as a means of preventing infections during the current pandemic, the Company will establish it as a permanent and core program among the working styles it accommodates. In so doing, the Company hopes not only to create a flexible and diverse working environment, but also to further bolster productivity and help employees achieve the optimal work-life balance.

The additional options this program creates will also enable the Company to recruit more diverse human resources, as well as to establish an organization capable of adapting to unexpected developments such as disasters and changes in employment models. By adopting a new style of working for a new world, the Company will enable employees to unleash even greater creativity as it continues to provide its customers around the world with content and services that fulfill their expectations. In so doing, the Company will strive to further enhance its corporate value.

Work-from-home Program
Providing customers with unforgettable entertainment requires creativity and productivity. Moreover, the nature of the work involved demands consistent, robust security. As such, the Work-from-home Program will combine "home-based" and "office-based" models.

The Company will designate each employee as either "home based" (working an average of at least three days per week from home) or "office based" (working an average of at least three days per week from the office). In general, all eligible employees will be designated as "home based." Division heads will designate some positions or individual employees as "office based" as dictated by the nature of the work involved.

Status changes will be allowed on a monthly basis depending upon the intensity of an employee's duties. The Company expects approximately 80% of employees to be home based in December, the first month of the program's implementation.

Reasons for program implementation
The Company had for some time been exploring options for enabling greater flexibility in working styles when the COVID-19 outbreak occurred. In response, the Company implemented a series of measures starting in February 2020 that included enabling work from home, staggered working hours, and online conferencing.

Following a sustained period with these measures in place, the Company conducted a survey in June that demonstrated that roughly 80% of employees had a positive view of work from home. The Company also carefully considered a wide range of opinions from businesses as diverse as games, publication, and music regarding the practicality of work from home. This program was finalized based on those considerations. By enabling the option of monthly status changes rather than establishing blanket rules regarding who works from home and who from the office, the Company has designed a program that should be highly satisfactory both to those performing duties and those managing them.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Just think about all the extra work you can do without a commute!

/s

Nah seriously it's a good idea, I think the changing of the office paradigm will be good for society at large

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Great to see. Definitely a growing trend within the tech sector now that companies are starting to see how their teams can still be productive while working fully remote.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see. Definitely a growing trend within the tech sector now that companies are starting to see how productive their teams can still be while working fully remote.
It'll also be great for the Midwest here in NA, we lose too many due to the tech companies stock piling on the coast

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping my work does the same. There's nothing I need to be in the office for.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
That's great and surprising. Hope this becomes the norm everywhere. Been working from home for over a year now and I know it's going to be tough if I have to go back to an office full time at some point.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yo Square Enix I'm sorry about all the bad stuff I said about FFXIII and the new Tomb Raiders. Can I have a job please.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi P has talked quite a bit about the transition during past live letters for FFXIV. Seemed like they were close to their normal efficiency working from home. Cool that it's going to be a thing company wide.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yoshi P has talked quite a bit about the transition during past live letters for FFXIV. Seemed like they were close to their normal efficiency working from home. Cool that it's going to be a thing company wide.
There is no doubt in my mind that that played a huge part in the company's decision to move forward with this.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
WFH has it's good and bad sides. I just hope that people realize that.
I hope people realize that options are optional and not orders, because I've been reading a lot of apocalyptic posts on LinkedIn of people scared to shit of not having any more conversation at the water-cooler. There's a world out of offices, too.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That is great.

Imagine if WFH was pushed more - would help the traffic/pollution issue.

As I said before there are bad sides to WFH too. Biggest one is when people can't separate work from other things. Right behind it is lack of social interaction.

I worked from home earlier this year for 2 months and I don't think that I could work like that permanently. I was more comfortable but I also did work longer and I missed office chat with coworkers.

But it is great for those who like it.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
The 3 day per week home based option is basically what I used to have before the pandemic made it 100% of the days... which I can't stand. (But sure, better than the reverse:) There are still some things done better in person, and working every day from home got old a long time ago...

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
All these companies moving to wfh kinda makes me wish I had a job that was possible to do from home. Ah well

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes people don't see bad side until impacts them and then it is usually late. WFH really is not for everyone even though it looks likenit is at the first glance.
Square lets their employees switch on a month by month basis if they want. Seems like the best way they could possibly offer it really

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good for them. I love WFH so much and hope to god my company makes it an option. It's not for everyone and does have some limitations and issues, but it's a fantastic option for those who like it and manage it well.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile my own office in Austin TX (don't work in the games industry) started asking people to come back in LAST WEEK.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
As I said before there are bad sides to WFH too. Biggest one is when people can't separate work from other things. Right behind it is lack of social interaction.

I worked from home earlier this year for 2 months and I don't think that I could work like that permanently. I was more comfortable but I also did work longer and I missed office chat with coworkers.

But it is great for those who like it.

That may be true but the same can be applied to pretty much any situation (the fact that there are good and bad aspects). Personally this doesnt affect me cause I have provided myself ground rules and I can easily focus on the task without any distractions.

Anyways for me I've been working home every other week, performance wise we've improved and/or stayed pretty much the same regardless of whether it was in the office or at home.

Been doing it since March and I can see myself doing it permanently (though that will never happen) - I saved myself so much money and time too especially since my commute is 20 miles (40 miles a day).

I dont miss office chat at all mainly because we're already connected via Cisco Jabber and Microsoft Teams.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Good on Square Enix. More studios should follow along... Only because it should allow employees to see their families and sleep in their own beds more often during those long periods of crunch time.

I just hope Employees stand up for themselves since the pressure to crunch harder and more often will happen.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
This is good in the pandemic time. But after almost a year of working from home, I find myself actually liking working from office a tad more lol. I find it easier to communicate with others face to face. Also the company doesn't subsidize the electricity use :P

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I wonder what they're going to do with the Shinjuku office; they have multiple floors and I believe several of them are the largest open-area workspaces in all of Japan. Crazy.

HamDumpling

Jan 23, 2019
I used to love the idea of WFH, but I've been doing it since March and there are no plans to return to any office and I miss it a lot.

Burn out is real when your work and your home life are one in the same, I also have the disadvantage of living in a city with small apartments not meant for one person to work from indefinitely, let alone two.