• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean you literally said that people dislike it because it's "not what they wanted," and now you're saying that they hate it because it's not "next-gen enough" That's directly implying that those who aren't finding it "awesome," are feeling that way due to some level of entitlement, whether that be for a FF with a different tone or a FF game that's more of a graphical showcase.

It's just ironic that you complained about how the other side is looking for an easy way to 'dismiss' something when you then go on to use the easiest possible arguments to dismiss their own opinions. They watched the exact same trailer as you did; if they didn't like it then they didn't like it, they're not in any way inferior as people for thinking that way.
You are taking my words extremely out of context and are making it look like I said things that I don't mean. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I never dismissed any opinion, even if they are just based on looks. I also never said that's an inferior way of looking at it, but I do think it's a bummer because disregarding a game just because of it's looks can make you miss out on great games. "not what they wanted" and "not next-gen" is pretty much the same thing if they wanted next-gen graphics, isn't it? One does not contradict the other. I only replied to Jawmuncher's question with what I experienced when the trailer dropped. That's all. Now please don't tag me anymore.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Trailer should have been a teaser, all that mishmash of characters, random cutscenes, and level 1 gameplay footage with questionable graphics was all a huge miss.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Oh wow, I checked the trailer view in Playstation channel, and it only have 595k view...

I thought the game looks rad too :/

It has more on the FF channel and is overall #3 in views I believe (or 4?). Funnily enough its ranking how I think it will sell compared to titles above it :p

Though I do think the critics reception for this one will be really good and may push it higher.

People still in denial that the game didn't look generic as hell. 0 creativity or imagination was shown that's typically associated with Final Fantasy. What we got was a FF14-looking current gen title with an interesting combat system.

Though I don't think it influenced the stocks to such an extent.

Thats a weird take. I am playing this franchise for like ... uhhh 20 years now and this showed everything I creativly associate with a new FF title and then some.

Man people are strange when it comes to FF, guess that will never change. Always extreme hyperbole.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean?

EfK1mvXXYAEwOPo.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
You are taking my words extremely out of context and are making it look like I said things that I don't mean. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I never dismissed any opinion, even if they are just based on looks. I also never said that's an inferior way of looking at it, but I do think it's a bummer because disregarding a game just because of it's looks can make you miss out on great games. "not what they wanted" and "not next-gen" is pretty much the same thing if they wanted next-gen graphics, isn't it? One does not contradict the other. I only replied to Jawmuncher's question with what I experienced when the trailer dropped. That's all. Now please don't tag me anymore.

Saying "I never dismissed an opinion" and then saying "Dismissing a game just because of it's looks can make you miss out on great games," automatically makes the first argument false.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yes we would. Why do you even keep bringing up Nomura in every FF thread unprovoked?

Because since the announcement people have been comparing this title to FFXV/FFR7 and how does it look "generic" and "bad".

And no, if FFXVI looked like FF7R or FF XV art-wise and colorful we wouldn't have this concern trolling.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There's concern trolling and then there's the OP taking time out of their day to look at Square's stocks presumably in order to validate their belief that FFXVI isn't being well received.

Oct 27, 2017
This means very, very little. I will say more generally that I think a lot of people expected a technical powerhouse from the next FF and a pretty CG trailer captures that audience normally. That Square used clearly mid-cycle gameplay footage is a lot more promising for me that this FF is really focusing on getting that aspect right over all else. Square get complaints when the trailers are target renders or 'care more about the graphics than the gameplay' but then also get flack when the opposite appears to happen. Let's just wait and see on this one. Not to derail too much but has what engine does this team typically use?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, according to YouTube views if this dooms Square, there's also Athia with nearly 4M views only on PS channel that will save Square again!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese stocks (I'm an expert), but 3-minute trailer reveals and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by putting an Inception horn in your trailer. If you have a bad trailer in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system the one system it's on, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXVI for PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking embarrassing, OP

To anyone reading this thread who might post bullshit like this in the future, read up how the market works.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wow people are desperate to prove that this game isn't going to do well or that it isn't "what the fans want".

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. 2% drop?!

All jokes aside. If a 2% drop is considered news, this forum would be flooded.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
There is no issue with FF16. There are people on forums arguing over it like they do with every single FF.

And your numbers are disingenuous. It took me 5 seconds to see that it has 759k on the Final Fantasy channel, 152k on GameSpot, 613k on GameClips, 356k on another IGN channel, and so on.

Game trailer views are spread all over the place.

I mean I kinda expected at least 1 millions+ on the PS channel alone (Hogswart get 4.5 million in PS channel and 680k in IGN).

And in r/games the game only get 7100 upvotes (SMTV years ago get like 5000-6000 upvotes iirc) D:

I dunno I konda feel like the reveal is supposed to be a much bigger deal (not to mention its not CGI bullshot).

I actually feels super hyped watching the trailer.

Oct 25, 2017
Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese stocks (I'm an expert), but 3-minute trailer reveals and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by putting an Inception horn in your trailer. If you have a bad trailer in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system the one system it's on, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXVI for PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Was that FF XIII? Always funny

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Isn't that like one of the reasons a lot of companies are moving to closer to release announcements? For this specific case, from a shareholder perspective, it's a title everyone knew was coming, of course SE is making another FF game, but it being more than a year away is the disappointing part of the announcement if your main interest here is the financial return.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that like one of the reasons a lot of companies are moving to closer to release announcements? For this specific case, from a shareholder perspective, it's a title everyone knew was coming, of course SE is making another FF game, but it being more than a year away is the disappointing part of the announcement if your main interest here is the financial return.
When you said far off from release I assumed you meant like 3+ years.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It has more on the FF channel and is overall #3 in views I believe (or 4?). Funnily enough its ranking how I think it will sell compared to titles above it :p

Though I do think the critics reception for this one will be really good and may push it higher.

Thats a weird take. I am playing this franchise for like ... uhhh 20 years now and this showed everything I creativly associate with a new FF title and then some.

Man people are strange when it comes to FF, guess that will never change. Always extreme hyperbole.
I'm not the only person who is underwhelmed. This seems to be the most muted reaction to a mainline title I can remember. Precisely because it looks so generic and copy and paste-ish without anything that actually stands out compared to other titles.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they did show mostly gameplay instead of bullshot CGI.

The art style definitely didnt blow me away but the stock will recover, as usual.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Pack it up guys, Square is doomed. Can't wait to see Konami buy them for a penny or something.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy is doomed!!
Call in the Avengers to save the day.... ah wait, that game is also doomed!?

Jokes aside... doesn't mean anything as most stock go up and down like a roller coaster when new news hits the media.
You have to analyze it over a longer time period.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm not the only person who is underwhelmed. This seems to be the most muted reaction to a mainline title I can remember. Precisely because it looks so generic and copy and paste-ish without anything that actually stands out compared to other titles.

You reached the point where you're telling people they're in denial for not sharing your opinion so your thoughts on this are going to be hard to take seriously.

You don't like the look. It's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.