• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hamauzu is a truly gifted composer who made some of the most beautiful songs I've heard. It's absurd to say he is bad.

Final Fantasy X wouldn't have been half as good if Hamauzu wasn't there. Compare the depth of Hamauzu's tracks with Uematsu's. All the truly emotional and impactful tracks came from Hamauzu. Saying he doesn't have a focus on melody is absurd. No one says that about FF10.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hamauzu is a truly gifted composer who made some of the most beautiful songs I've heard. It's absurd to say he is bad.

Final Fantasy X wouldn't have been half as good if Hamauzu wasn't there. Compare the depth of Hamauzu's tracks with Uematsu's. All the truly emotional and impactful tracks came from Hamauzu. Saying he doesn't have a focus on melody is absurd. No one says that about FF10.

Wouldn't know. Nothing he composes stays in my brain after it's over and it also doesn't generate any emotion in me. That includes FFX - the only songs from that game I really remember are To Zanarkand and the main battle theme. I don't even like the boss music.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Masashi "No Melody" Hamauzu

Wouldn't know. Nothing he composes stays in my brain after it's over and it also doesn't generate any emotion in me. That includes FFX - the only songs from that game I really remember are To Zanarkand and the main battle theme. I don't even like the boss music.
You only remember the main battle theme of FFX? I am afraid you are diagnosed with the ability to only remember bad tunes :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You only remember the main battle theme of FFX? I am afraid you are diagnosed with the ability to only remember bad tunes :/

I don't like FFX very much as a game. It was kind of the beginning of the bleed-out of the FF series for me. The ultra-linear world design, the battle system being ultra dumbed down and only having four elements yet for some reason having both ice and water as separate elements. The soundtrack being kind of mediocre just came part and parcel with all of that.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many hot takes in this thread. Discussing FF games on the internet is so annoying.

Apr 19, 2018

Keep in mind that Junya Nakano (Dew Prism, Threads of Fate) also had a hand in FFX's OST, including the boss theme "Enemy Attack."

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
i feel like in 2020 if you mentioned a whole cadre of different synthesizer operators worked on the PSX/PS2 titles Uematsu composed and/or Shiro Hamaguchi arranged a ton of the orchestral stuff in FF8/FF9 incl. Liberi Fatali you'd have the same band of people shouting DO NOT WANT without any insight or context as to how the music for squaresoft games was even put together back then.
That would absolutely be the case, lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that Junya Nakano (Dew Prism, Threads of Fate) also had a hand in FFX's OST, including the boss theme "Enemy Attack."

I know. Usually, battle themes and boss themes are my primary memory anchor point for a game's score, and I just didn't like the boss music in X. Most of the soundtrack just wasn't memorable for me at all.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Masashi "No Melody" Hamauzu

I don't really have any strong feelings on Hamauzu's music.

But these examples show me my first impression of him not being a good fit for FFVII's style are right.

Does he have anything with the industrial weight FFVII needs. He might be good on JENOVA, but the main and boss battle themes would not be right with that style in game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I swear you only exist to hate on everything good lol

I mean, I've talked up a NUMBER of other composers in this thread alone. I just don't like Hamauzu and his musical style. Uematsu, Shimomura and Ito are the composers that defined my musical taste as far as games are concerned, Hamauzu really doesn't click with their styles at all.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
I have genuinely mixed feelings on Hamauzu. Some of his pieces are among the top tiers of game tracks for me. But there's also a bunch of stuff that does nothing for me at all.

I couldn't classify any composer as just "good" or "bad" outright. But he isn't one that stirs huge amounts of hype for me.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
My little concern is that the leaked ost (but i guess it's cause it was the demo ?) was full of rock, action music and 50 versions of the same theme basically. I wonder about the variety of the first episode music but it'll probably be ok.

Oct 25, 2017
Takeharu Ishimoto should be composing this game, Crisis Core OST is objectively better than FFVII regardless how different the two games are

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So many hot takes in this thread. Discussing FF games on the internet is so annoying.

FF is one of my favorite franchises but I basically never engage in conversation about it unless I'm feeling especially patient

Anyways here's one of Yoshinori Nakamura's previous FF arrangements since I'm unfamiliar with them

Pretty good!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Takeharu Ishimoto should be composing this game, Crisis Core OST is objectively better than FFVII regardless how different the two games are

Would love it if they were holding off on roping him in until whichever Remake "episode" features Zack. Price of Freedom is basically Zack's theme, after all.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
seeing all this talk over one guy not liking Hamauzu makes me afraid to say I don't like his music either lol

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My all time favorite Hamauzu stuff might be his work in Samurai Legend Musashi <3

So chill.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
seeing all this talk over one guy not liking Hamauzu makes me afraid to say I don't like his music either lol

tenor.gif

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think Masashi Hamauzu might be the lead composer on FF7 Remake, with the other composers following the vision he put out.

Hamauzu setting the vision of Final Fantasy VII's music is going to be huge. His wife was part of the One Winged Angel chorus, now he's the lead of FF7's music. We're going back full circle.

Hamauzu is the perfect choice for this whether or not you like him. He truly is.

Not to mention he already got your money because you already heard his music in the leaks and I didn't see anyone talking shit about it ;)

Apr 19, 2018
For my money, Yoshitaka Suzuki could prove to the MVP here, particularly when it comes to matters of rearrangements. His work in the Record Keeper soundtracks are insanely good.

Just listen to these monster-sized medleys:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I think Masashi Hamauzu might be the lead composer on FF7 Remake, with the other composers following the vision he put out.

Hamauzu setting the vision of Final Fantasy VII's music is going to be huge. His wife was part of the One Winged Angel chorus, now he's the lead of FF7's music. We're going back full circle.

Hamauzu is the perfect choice for this whether or not you like him. He truly is.

Not to mention he already got your money because you already heard his music in the leaks and I didn't see anyone talking shit about it ;)

You think so? There wasn't anything in the demo that specifically screamed him to me.

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly whenever someone judges a soundtrack by how much they can remember the melody of certain tracks, it just makes me think they have poor or selective memory. It's pretty unreliable too cause everyone will remember things differently and there's also the fact that any ear worm can stay in your brain regardless of actual quality.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly with you. If any Hamauzu piece stuck in my mind, it was his more melodic ones: People of the North Pole, FFX's Final Battle Theme, Blinded By Light and Saber's Edge. That's about it, though. Students of music have tried to explain to me why Hamauzu is a genius and such (even though I never asked for an explanation), save it, it's not up for debate as far as MY taste is concerned. Regarding MY taste, it's most definitely narrows down to, "I might not KNOW art, but I KNOW what I like!" and I know most of Hamauzu's stuff I don't like. I don't HATE it, just don't LIKE it.

They should get whoever did the exceptional Crisis Core score.
Desolate-sounding guitar rock man? I don't care for that guys music more than I don't care for Haumazu's stuff.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

From the blogpost it sounds like Suzuki is putting in the most work
It did not take long for me to come together with the original project staff and grasp my position on the team. My role here was to work on the new elements that a remake allows and breathe new life into it.

I have created a huge number of tracks and put great care into how they are presented, in order to create something that will delight both people who played the original game and those who are experiencing it for the first time with the remake. I strove to always put a sense of playfulness into the music, not just for the new pieces but also with new arrangements and samplings of older tracks that respect the originals and full re-makes of some of them.

Working on places like Wall Market, the Honeybee Inn and Midgar Highway was one thrill after another! I brought back the surprise and enjoyment that I felt as a consumer of the original game, but the biggest change this time round is that I am now on the side providing those experiences.

Myself and the large sound team came together to remake the sound of this world. There is a lot to look forward to and not long to wait now!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there some new tracks in the leaks? I only ever had a passing interest in the remake so I thought the soundtrack was already available.

Almost all the music in the demo is built off of either Bombing Mission, the main battle theme or Mako Reactor. This might be Hamauzu, though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
From the blogpost it sounds like Suzuki is putting in the most work
Which Suzuki? Yoshitaka or Mitsuto?

I really like Mitsuto, Yoshitaka is good too but his orchestral tunes are a bit less unique.

Almost all the music in the demo is built off of either Bombing Mission, the main battle theme or Mako Reactor. This might be Hamauzu, though.

Yeah, it feels like it goes back to the FF10 style a bit

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
There are two Suzuki's on this project y'all gotta be more specific.

Since we're talking about Hamauzu a bunch, I just wanted to leave this:

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Having listened to the music from the demo, I can only really pick out two of the tracks Hamauzu may have done; the VR one listed above, and going by the file name of another it was for a cutscene. It sounded good, very Hamauzu, but probably not what you would think of when you think FFVII. But I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I mean, this game is only really the first 5 hours or so of the original game extended to 30 or so; they need new music somewhere.