• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
www.siliconera.com

Square Enix Reports Big Losses From Subsidiaries Tokyo RPG Factory and Studio Istolia

Square Enix reported big losses from subsidiary companies, Tokyo RPG Factory and Studio Istolia, in its latest financial results.

Tokyo RPG Factory
Tokyo RPG Factory was founded in 2014 with the goal of satisfying gamers who grew up playing RPGs in the '90s. The studio's first game was announced as Project Setsuna, which would end up being the 2016 title I Am Setsuna. The company's second title Lost Sphear released in Japan in October 2017 as a spiritual successor to I Am Setsuna. The studio's third and latest title is the action RPG Oninaki, which released for the PS4, Switch, and PC in August 2019.

The financial results show that Tokyo RPG Factory had a net loss of 154.33 million yen. During the same term from the previous fiscal year, Tokyo RPG Factory saw a net income of 88.39 million yen.
Studio Istolia
Square Enix first announced the establishment of Studio Istolia in February 2017. Helmed by longtime Tales of series producer Hideo Baba, the studio announced its first project, Project Prelude Rune. However, after Baba left Square Enix and Studio Istolia in April 2019, the subsidiary company and project were officially canceled in the following month.

The idea behind Tokyo RPG Factory sounded a little fascinating. A sort of way to bring back AA-RPG titles... But the games always fell short of even being "charming", or cost way too much for how little was given back to players.
Studio Istolia though.... Bah. That was a short-lived nothing and I can only imagine what the story is there. Hideo Baba leaves Bandai Namco to triumphantly join Square Enix and a new studio.... only to totally ditch several months later.

6t5tmJ2.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well at least TRPGF made some money. I wonder if they're gonna shut the studio down

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It might have worked if they made good games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Toyko RPG Factory is that Square Enix already had a team doing what they do, but better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Studio Istolia shut down? Man, I guess that project was so bland and unexciting it barely even made the news when the whole team got blown up.

As for Tokyo RPG Factory, I was really rooting for them at first but their games are just so BORING. They inherited all the worst parts of classic SNES/PS1 RPGs and like none of the strengths. This is also a problem with Octopath Traveler, but at least Octopath had memorable music.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TRPGF felt like they were founded off the heels of Bravely Default's success, but didn't have the talent in place

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I started I am Setsuna and it was just too boring and depressing to really get into, at least for me. When they first opened the studio, I was hoping we'd get something similar FF VI or just something that was really like the SNES days.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pity. I really appreciate what TRPGF intended to do, but the games they made had a lot of problems that are hard to overlook even if they were otherwise competent. I can't imagine SquareEnix having other studios on hand doing similar things but actually good helps their image either.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, not sure what happened with Tokyo RPG Factory. The idea of AA classic-style RPGs is viable but nothing they made ever seemed appealing.

Maybe give them better art direction and an existing (smaller) Square Enix IP for a built-in audience?

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Let's develop 90s games with none of the talent"
Should've let Ito or Kato in charge of it.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Studio Istolia shut down? Man, I guess that project was so bland and unexciting it barely even made the news when the whole team got blown up.

As for Tokyo RPG Factory, I was really rooting for them at first but their games are just so BORING. They inherited all the worst parts of classic SNES/PS1 RPGs and like none of the strengths. This is also a problem with Octopath Traveler, but at least Octopath had memorable music.
I really wanted to finish and like OT but something about the obsolete character interaction really put me off.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still proud of the fact that our tiny indie studio with only 2 full-time people managed to make a Chrono Trigger (and Phantasy Star & Lunar) inspired game that has better reviews on both Metacritic & Steam than the Chrono Trigger-inspired game made by a division of the company that actually made Chrono Trigger in the first place.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to finish and like OT but something about the obsolete character interaction really put me off.

Yeah. The story and character interactions in Octopath, along with the RIDICULOUS amount of forced grinding, just made it extremely hard for me to enjoy.

The problem with Toyko RPG Factory is that Square Enix already had a team doing what they do, but better.
Pretty much. Team Asano actually gets how to modernize old-school RPGs to satisfy folks, leading to the success of Bravely and Octopath. Tokyo RPG has the right idea, but they often feel like they're more in the wheelhouse of Kemco on what to do with old-school RPGs.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why SE is scared to re-release classics like CT on current systems like Switch and PS4 - they know they would have a crazy time selling these Tokio RPG factory games when the better OG alternative were available.

You tried it...it didn't work. Now give us the SNES classics.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am Setsuna was a legit good game and I am baffled they just couldnt produce anything worthwhile afterwarts.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ive been interested in Tokyo RPG Factory's games, but they're a little over priced tbh, and they're almost never on sale.
Seems like they might have to shut that studio down if things don't turn around. Maybe getting their games on Game Pass or something would be a good idea. Really, I think they just need to make less generic looking games going forward. I hope they can get that chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The story and character interactions in Octopath, along with the RIDICULOUS amount of forced grinding, just made it extremely hard for me to enjoy.

There's absolutely no grinding, at all, unless you are going for the final post game boss. Level does nearly nothing, so if you're looking at grinding as the answer, no shit it is going to feel like it takes a ton of it. Because it does nearly nothing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no grinding, at all, unless you are going for the final post game boss. Level does nearly nothing, so if you're looking at grinding as the answer, no shit it is going to feel like it takes a ton of it. Because it does nearly nothing.

Once you get to the point where you need to start working on OTHER characters than your original four, you do have to grind to get them up to speed.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tokyo rpg factory should have focused on one platform. the games have charm but with some additional funding from a first party money hatter (looking at Microsoft) they could have been even better.
Yeah Bravely Default and Octopath already did what Tokyo RPG Factory did, but much better.

I did like I Am Setsuna though.
as i said focus on one platform

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
tokyo rpg factory should have focused on one platform. the games have charm but with some additional funding from a first party money hatter (looking at Microsoft) they could have been even better.

Funding isn't the problem. The problem is a lack of talent. They're not trying to make huge games, they're TRYING to make small-scale throwbacks, the problem is they just aren't very good at it.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
It's so sad for TRPGF... they put effort even if they have the lowest of budgets yet the games are not profitable.

Also heartbroken for Baba. I know people who has met him and everyone says he's the nicest person to chat with and really passionate about the games he works on. I hope he's doing good even if he has stepped down form the spotlight.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Once you get to the point where you need to start working on OTHER characters than your original four, you do have to grind to get them up to speed.
You can get those characters up to speed by just playing through the story dungeons. They'll start the chapters at a low level, but they'll be in a good spot by the end. I'd swap party members in and out between chapters and never had to grind at all in Octopath until I was preparing for the post-game boss.

Oct 27, 2017
i hope eiyuden chronicle ends up being a big hit so square can see that AA JRPGs are still viable, but only if you're really passionate about the project

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funding isn't the problem. The problem is a lack of talent. They're not trying to make huge games, they're TRYING to make small-scale throwbacks, the problem is they just aren't very good at it.
the team does have talent. the games look pleasant the character design are good. the stories usually are charming at least.
i hope eiyuden chronicle ends up being a big hit so square can see that AA JRPGs are still viable, but only if you're really passionate about the project
that project looks like a scam to me. the next mighty no. 9

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
And yet they didn't try to sell any of these 90's style RPGs to the 90's kids playing on Xbox... 🤷‍♂️

That's like at least 12 more sales per game right there...

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Games were forgettable. I only hope they don't blame gamers instead (as some companies do) and wrap it up.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

....No you don't? You literally do not have to grind until it's time for the final boss (which I agree is annoying and was my least favorite part of the game, even though the fight itself was cool).

If you simply rotated out party members you'd never have to grind, they'd just progress naturally.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The games didn't seem inspiring to me, they were made in the spirit of the 90s but the kind of innovation and drive didn't feel like it was there to replicate the original golden era games.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Least surprising news of the day lol

do more things like octopath please.

I'm still proud of the fact that our tiny indie studio with only 2 full-time people managed to make a Chrono Trigger (and Phantasy Star & Lunar) inspired game that has better reviews on both Metacritic & Steam than the Chrono Trigger-inspired game made by a division of the company that actually made Chrono Trigger in the first place.
ooofff

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
They're probably shutting down TRPGF after this (all three games they've released have underperformed heavily IIRC), which is a shame. I liked their games. They weren't amazing or anything like that, but they had charm.

I Am Setsuna had incredible atmosphere, not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
the team does have talent. the games look pleasant the character design are good. the stories usually are charming at least.

At least as far as Oninaki is concerned, "charming" is about the last word that comes to mind. The game is cynical and cruel and just kind of unpleasant.

Setsuna was just aggressively boring.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
They need to dip into making a Trials of Mana-tier Chrono Trigger game... not that ToM had a crazy budget anyway.

Did Istolia even get anything out the door?
Based on the opening scene from BoTW they're aping, "getting out the door" was the literally the only thing they accomplished in their Project Belda game.