• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me really happy that I was able to get my brother a physical copy a year ago. It's going to sit right next to my physical copy of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth for games that were stupidly taken offline. The same goes for Ori and the Blind Forest's non-definitive edition. I guess it fixes store confusion if people aren't in the know, sans Digimon's case, but it still sucks that I can't even get it just to have a copy.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
The PS4, Xbox, and PC releases of the Definitive Edition are based off of the Switch version of the game. Similar / same assets, instead of bringing back what they used for the original PS4 and PC releases of the game.
Hahahaha now I know why is running @4k and 60 fps so easy... Lol

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I was waiting for definitive anyway, but still, I should have had a better look at the publisher history and bought the damn game.

EDIT: Bought it on GreenManGaming. They have a 17% off voucher. At least it's better than full price.

Last edited:

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I get why they did it but that shit still sucks especially given that if you don't care for the 2D Mode, and not really looking for some pretty... middling added story scenes, you might as well have just gotten the PC version and modded the orchestral soundtrack.

Now Last Remnant not coming back on Steam though, Square Enix deserves to be fucking dragged over that one

I think you can still buy a Steam key directly from Square lol

store.eu.square-enix-games.com

Square Enix Store | Europe

Buy video games online at the Square Enix official store. Shop our top franchises including Final Fantasy, Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No it doesn't, they removed the graphically superior version.

Actually, it does. The S version is the definitive version, with all the added content and changes, the most complete, up-to-date version of the game.

There's no reason to have two different versions of the same game available, so hence they removed the old version. The graphical differences are widely known already, so no point getting into those.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
Buying the 'S' release when I paid full price for the original was already a tough sell for me.

I'm more than fine with the Orchestral Mod, and it's not like 60fps was an issue on PC anyway.
Same, I bought XI on Steam at launch, bough XI S on Switch at launch. No way I'm paying 56CAD for a 3rd version. It's seriously baffling be that SE didn't even offer some kind of discount for previous owners.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Isn't their precedence for publishers removing from libraries as well? Honest question. I've read some cases here, IIRC. But good to know that this isn't it, either way.

Not that I know of, unless there are examples of which I am not aware.

I like what I'm seeing with the new one on PC, but it is disappointing to know that it has downgraded graphics. I've only played the Switch version though so everything is still an upgrade for me.

About the original one, does it at least have support for the following (new version does from what I tested):

- 21:9 support
- uncapped framerates
- exclusive fullscreen for proper gsync support
Uncapped framerate was a simple ini tweak in the original release.

You can also for the game to downsample by playing with the ScreenPercentage=100.000000 setting.

I can't speak on UW.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be honest. Looking at side-by-side comparisons, the definitive edition looks fine to me. Cave lighting is a little iffy but on the whole, the differences seem minimal to these old eyes.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Actually, it does. The S version is the definitive version, with all the added content and changes, the most complete, up-to-date version of the game.

There's no reason to have two different versions of the same game available, so hence they removed the old version. The graphical differences are widely known already, so no point getting into those.

You're right. There was no reason for the S version in the first place, they could have easily ported XI to Switch and avoided this whole situation. But that'd require Square Enix to actually have common sense.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
While I personally recommend playing the S version over any other due to the pretty significant and substantial amount of additional content it includes, I don't agree with Square-Enix removing the original version. Pretty shit move.

I'd have commended them updating the product page to recommend the S version on the regular edition's product page, even if it didn't go into exacting detail as to why, but outright removal seems a bit overkill.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what lol why wouldn't they just use the graphics from the original release? I know it isn't as easy as pressing a button it can't be that hard...

Dragon Quest XI's a mess going by the sheer number of versions that exist.
The game was originally just going to be on PS4, but Square-Enix wanted portable money so they made a separate 3DS version. That's two versions of the same game.
When they brought the game overseas, they reworked several aspects including a new UI and voice acting. They also ported it to PC. That's four versions now.
Then came XI S as a Switch exclusive. They had to rework the game to make it fit on Switch, as well as add all the 2D stuff, the new content, and Japanese voice acting (plus the symphonic soundtrack). That's five.
And now we have XI S for PS4, Xbone, and PC. Eight versions.
Basically, the game is a good example of Square-Enix's horrid mismanagement that has pervaded the company for a long time.

EDIT: When I say mess, I mean in terms of planning. The game is fucking excellent.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
The old version is basicaly obsolete so I understand why they would remove it but also agree the best play would be to have both if they couldn't have been bothered to just update the original. And complaining about graphics in a Dragon Quest game of all places seems rather weird. No one plays Dragon Quest for the graphics. The content is what's relevant and the S version wins there no contest. If you don't like the new look you can always play in 2D mode I guess. That's what I'm doing since I have waited for a version with that mode.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Looking at some of the comparisons, the difference is so insignificant that complaining that the S version is worse graphically is just an insane thing to say. The differences are so small and not even remotely worth complaining about, and I would have never in my life even noticed it if it wasn't for this thread.

People latch on to some of the wildest stuff to complain about.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'd rather have the new content than better graphcs, personally.

Why couldn't that new content be merged in with the original game? They literally did this with World of Final Fantasy when it released on Switch and they ported the additional content to older platforms.

Looking at some of the comparisons, the difference is so insignificant that complaining that the S version is worse graphically is just an insane thing to say. The differences are so small and not even remotely worth complaining about, and I would have never in my life even noticed it if it wasn't for this thread. People latch on to some of the wildest stuff to complain about.
Funny thing about your infuriating post, if the differences are so slight, WHY DID THEY CREATE A NEW VERSION OF THE GAME?!

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Now Last Remnant not coming back on Steam though, Square Enix deserves to be fucking dragged over that one
They really do.

Especially since the PC version was basically the entire audience for the game in the West over the last decade. It sold a ton of copies and was probably the only place you could find anybody even interested in it.

I wasn't actually bothered that they removed it from sale, because I stupidly assumed they would want to get the remaster on the platform at some point (and they weren't going to keep around old versions where there wasn't price parity with the new console release). But that was over 2 years ago now.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Dragon Quest XI's a mess going by the sheer number of versions that exist.
The game was originally just going to be on PS4, but Square-Enix wanted portable money so they made a separate 3DS version. That's two versions of the same game.
When they brought the game overseas, they reworked several aspects including a new UI and voice acting. They also ported it to PC. That's four versions now.
Then came XI S as a Switch exclusive. They had to rework the game to make it fit on Switch, as well as add all the 2D stuff, the new content, and Japanese voice acting (plus the symphonic soundtrack). That's five.
And now we have XI S for PS4, Xbone, and PC. Eight versions.
Basically, the game is a good example of Square-Enix's horrid mismanagement that has pervaded the company for a long time.

EDIT: When I say mess, I mean in terms of planning. The game is fucking excellent.

counting the new version as three is a little disingenuous, along with the OG PS4/PC version, which were virtually the same except the PC version you had access to an .ini file and some extra graphical options.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Funny thing about your infuriating post, if the differences are so slight, WHY DID THEY CREATE A NEW VERSION OF THE GAME?!

Because it's likely much easier and cheaper to port the existing Switch version over than completely re-work the new features/content to make it work in the original version. Especially when it's not going to be selling gang busters at this point to justify it.

The difference in the graphics is insignificant. Especially for a game with an art style such as Dragon Quest. New content and new features on platforms other than the Switch greatly trumps the drop in graphics(which is barely even a drop.)

If the community would get this worked up over some actual real issues in the gaming industry, maybe we'd actually stop being seen as a toxic community.

Edit: Yall out here acting like Square woke up and just decided to piss in your cherrios just to do it.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I wonder if the game will still download the patches if I reinstall the disk version of OG Dragon Quest XI?

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
The funny part about that is the 3DS version of VIII is kind of the same situation - the PS2 version has better graphics, but the 3DS version has more content.

Unless that was the point and you're telling a hilarious joke.

That is hilarious, but I didn't know and now I'm even more baffled. Square's money allergy is serious business (or a lack thereof).

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're right. There was no reason for the S version in the first place, they could have easily ported XI to Switch and avoided this whole situation. But that'd require Square Enix to actually have common sense.

Can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or not.

...That literally is what they did. But in the process, in addition to re-engineering the game to run on Switch in a newer version of UE4, they also added a bunch of new stuff and made a much more complete version of the game. I might also add that I doubt anyone plays DQ games for the graphics.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Because it's likely much easier and cheaper to port the existing Switch version over than completely re-work the new features/content to make it work in the original version. Especially when it's not going to be selling gang busters at this point to justify it.

The difference in the graphics is insignificant. Especially for a game with an art style such as Dragon Quest. New content and new features on platforms other than the Switch greatly trumps the drop in graphics(which is barely even a drop.)

If the community would get this worked up over some actual real issues in the gaming industry, maybe we'd actually stop being seen as a toxic community.

Edit: Yall out here acting like Square woke up and just decided to piss in your cherrios just to do it.

Like I responded to another poster they've done this with another game. There is no reason that I should have to buy another version of the game to get access to changes. It is absurd.

Take your fallacy of relative privation somewhere else as well. If you don't want to talk about this, you really don't have to be in this thread. This thread is about this, not some other gaming topic.

Can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or not.

...That literally is what they did. But in the process, in addition to re-engineering the game to run on Switch in a newer version of UE4, they also added a bunch of new stuff and made a much more complete version of the game. I might also add that I doubt anyone plays DQ games for the graphics.

So just so we're clear, you're fine that Steam and PSN users have to buy a whole new game in order to play this new content. You find this to be acceptable?

People have already paid 60 dollars.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the reason Switch has whole different version is because it most likely couldn't optimally run a port of the PS4 version?

Switch version gets made. New content assets are made in that version (probably to "apologize" for a late release). Could those assets be put in the old PS4/PC version? I don't know, I'm not familiar enough with game development and UE4.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Isn't the reason Switch has whole different version is because it most likely couldn't optimally run a port of the PS4 version?

Switch version gets made. New content assets are made in that version. Could those assets be put in the old PS4/PC version? I don't know, I'm not familiar enough with game development and UE4.

The Switch has ported versions of The Witcher 3 and games like DOOM. People insisted they aren't compromised versions. So I don't think this is a development issue. This is a Square Enix issue. There is already precedent with World of Final Fantasy. They just decided to be greedy bastards.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible it's because they owe Sugiyama royalties for every version of the game.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they didn't cut down the assets for funsies.

Switch version gets made. New content assets are made in that version (probably to "apologize" for a late release). Could those assets be put in the old PS4/PC version? I don't know, I'm not familiar enough with game development and UE4.
It would be more work.

These ports are just the path of least resistance. They should have mastered the content at full quality and then cut it down for the Switch version, but they cut the assets down for the Switch version and then made the new content with that.

Including all the work done for the 2D mode, it would be a not-insignificant task. Honestly, they shouldn't have bothered porting the content at all since they clearly never intended to do it right.

Unlike The Last Remnant remaster, where they could literally port it over today as-is and start selling it on Steam, with it largely being an improvement for everyone. Square gonna Square.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of graphics the new version is superior in every single way. The quality of life enhancements alone make it a way better game.
Then we agree that it's not definitively better!

Sure would be nice to offer both versions. SE could easily provide the old version to anyone that purchases the new one.