• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Advocating Piracy
Is the game managed to be pirated at least? this game has denovo iirc

Oct 27, 2017
Very glad I held on to my physical PS4 copy even after purchasing the superior (original) Steam version.

Did they decide to ban price gouging over on the B/S/T thread? If not, I think I just found a way to fund my eventual RTX 3080...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going to play the S version, but regardless this is kind of a stupid move, especially considering how there are pretty notable tech differences between the two versions, it's not an expanded version of the 'original' game per say.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? Graphics are worse than original on s?
The PS4, Xbox, and PC releases of the Definitive Edition are based off of the Switch version of the game. Similar / same assets, instead of bringing back what they used for the original PS4 and PC releases of the game.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
39577-FFB-A0754-F01-BB91-403983-B4996-C.jpg
Bravo. Fantastic.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to play this game but the fact that there seems to be no good version to buy is seriously putting me off. Either you get better graphics at the cost of missing content and shitty music renditions, or you get the extras while giving up graphics and even some original content. And now we can't even make that choice for ourselves.

It seems like there won't truly be a definitive version without extensive modding at this point. Even if such a mod existed, the idea of paying Square for their handling of this is unappealing. I think I'll just grab the PS2 game to get into the series while I wait for DQXII.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks awful though.
I just started playing it today for the first time (Gamepass on PC). It doesn't look awful. It has a nice looking old-school charm to it, kind of like Blue Dragon did, which makes sense as they're both essentially modern takes on the old DQ style. It may not look as good as it used to, but it certainly doesn't look awful.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
SE could just put the non-S version of DQXI in your steam library along with the purchase of DQXI S if they wanted to.

I remember some publisher doing that, like you get old Bioshock if you buy the remaster or the same with Darksiders remastered. Don't even remember 100% it that was the case with those games but i remember it happening in some Steam game i have. Maybe it was for the 2 first Metro games instead?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I get why they did it but that shit still sucks especially given that if you don't care for the 2D Mode, and not really looking for some pretty... middling added story scenes, you might as well have just gotten the PC version and modded the orchestral soundtrack.

Now Last Remnant not coming back on Steam though, Square Enix deserves to be fucking dragged over that one

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely frustrating when companies do this, and Square-Enix seem to be one of the worst offenders - they've been doing it for years now.
It's trivial for them to include the original release along with purchases of the new version, so I don't know why that's not an option.
If you buy the Bioshock remasters, you still get the originals for example - and those are the best versions of those games, if you put in the effort to mod them to bring them up to modern standards.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's quite impressive what an unforced error this rerelease has turned into. They couldn't be fucked to use the HD assets from the original release and now they won't even let you buy it? Just lol. Why would you invite this controversy over something so stupid?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a shitty thing to do, Square. Maybe you should've just patched all the content into the existing versions instead of asking people on PS4 and PC to re-buy a worse-performing and worse-looking version of a game they already own.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
They should have kept both versions and give the other version for free when you purchase either one.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If I wanted to get the game on PC, I think I'd rather have had the original version for nicer visuals. Poop.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've been wanting to play this game but the fact that there seems to be no good version to buy is seriously putting me off. Either you get better graphics at the cost of missing content and shitty music renditions, or you get the extras while giving up graphics and even some original content. And now we can't even make that choice for ourselves.

It seems like there won't truly be a definitive version without extensive modding at this point. Even if such a mod existed, the idea of paying Square for their handling of this is unappealing. I think I'll just grab the PS2 game to get into the series while I wait for DQXII.

The funny part about that is the 3DS version of VIII is kind of the same situation - the PS2 version has better graphics, but the 3DS version has more content.

Unless that was the point and you're telling a hilarious joke.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Are they removing them from the library as well? Or you just buy can't it anymore? It's a selfish question, given that I already own the non-S version.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are they removing them from the library as well? Or you just buy can't it anymore? It's a selfish question, given that I already own the non-S version.

I am sure we will be fine as previous owners, since we don't get "upgraded" to the S for free.

Bizarre situation that the grphically superior version is essentially going away, though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The funny part about that is the 3DS version of VIII is kind of the same situation - the PS2 version has better graphics, but the 3DS version has more content.

Unless that was the point and you're telling a hilarious joke.
The music is even weirder because the PS2 version has orchestrated music while the 3DS version doesn't, and I may be going off misinformation so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese versions of each have their music situation in reverse which is super weird.

I remember buying the 3DS version and being excited about it because of the new content and removal of random encounters and because I had played the PS2 version and liked it but didn't finish it, but I didn't even realize the PS2 version had orchestrated music and the 3DS version didn't, and I have since sold the PS2 version and haven't been motivated to start the 3DS version...

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure we will be fine as previous owners, since we don't get "upgraded" to the S for free.

Bizarre situation that the grphically superior version is essentially going away, though.

Squeenix finds a way. DQ seems cursed.

They can't ask Valve to remove games from your library. You're fine.

Isn't their precedence for publishers removing from libraries as well? Honest question. I've read some cases here, IIRC. But good to know that this isn't it, either way.

Nov 1, 2017
Humble Bundle delisted as well.
While I think people bemoaning the visual downgrade are being overly dramatic, it's dumb that SE delisted and took the choice away from people.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I couldn't find a direct PC comparison until I stumbled across the one in my second post. I did just see that Kyle Cross also made an excellent comparison in the demo thread.

Ok THOSE are some clear pictures showing the difference without having to scrub through youtube footage. The original looks MUCH better.

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I brought the physical PS4 version a while ago. Just have to get around to it at some point.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
People really have no idea about what went on with this game considering the amount of "patch/mods" begs. Shit is a completely different game built from the ground with a different engine despite your eyes seeing them as "the same".

As far as the old version being pulled, that's to prevent people from buying it by mistake. That version is rendered useless, you absolutely do not want to play considering how superior the S version is. The extremely negligible graphical downgrade is completely irrelevant and only becomes an arguing point in online forums full of people with nothing good to do.
Not exactly negligible when the graphics were the best thing about the game.

A 2D mode no one will ever use, bad music sounds less bad and some more story added onto an already bloated game? Hard pass lol.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This will shoot the proce of the PS4 CE sky high won't it? It's already $400 on eBay. Time to put my copy in locked cabinet.