• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks like it still can be bought from greenmangaming as well Edit: nevermind my dumbass bought the new version.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SE is literally erasing the graphically superior version from all platforms? This is weird, even for them.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Says there's nothing to mod back in, instantly gives example of something to mod back in.

However I understand that it's basically impossible to do in this case. Oh well a shame there will never be a definitive version of this game.
The graphics do look worse but it also appears some updates to the art direction make many darker areas look better though.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
People really have no idea about what went on with this game considering the amount of "patch/mods" begs. Shit is a completely different game built from the ground with a different engine despite your eyes seeing them as "the same".

As far as the old version being pulled, that's to prevent people from buying it by mistake. That version is rendered useless, you absolutely do not want to play considering how superior the S version is. The extremely negligible graphical downgrade is completely irrelevant and only becomes an arguing point in online forums full of people with nothing good to do.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
PSA: follow this curator

store.steampowered.com

Steam Curator: Games at risk of removal

List of games on Steam with a risk of (eventual) removal from the store. Use the specials list to quickly see current discounts on them.

Companies love to delist things for weird reasons

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So glad that I bought the key for the steam version for $25 few months ago

Although I now have two versions of DQXI (PS4 and PC)

Will get S on Steam

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really have no idea about what went on with this game considering the amount of "patch/mods" begs. Shit is a completely different game built from the ground with a different engine despite your eyes seeing them as "the same".

As far as the old version being pulled, that's to prevent people from buying it by mistake. That version is rendered useless, you absolutely do not want to play considering how superior the S version is. The extremely negligible graphical downgrade is completely irrelevant and only becomes an arguing point in online forums full of people with nothing good to do.
Except people do and it's pretty unacceptable how they have handled this especially removing the older version for no reason especially when it's a downgrade in some areas.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
This sucks so much. I was waiting for a (extremely hopeful, I know) Denuvo removal to buy it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what about the OG PC release and the S PC release? The demo didn't seem that much worse graphically, if at all

10:47 if timestamp doesn't work.

vjDxXll.png

Aug 30, 2020
Wow that's really fucking lame. Removing the superior version of the game is some real dark shit. At least this guarantees they'll never patch the mods out of the original PC version again. Orchestrated soundtrack forever.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
They did the same with Nier and the goty version. Although, this case is dif as it had worse graphics?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Well,at least the orchestral ost mod won't stop working because of an new update now.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Wow that's really fucking lame. Removing the superior version of the game is some real dark shit. At least this guarantees they'll never patch the mods out of the original PC version again. Orchestrated soundtrack forever.
Outside of the graphics how it is superior?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really stupid move.

Either patch in the better quality assets or leave it be. How hard is that?

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
This sucks. Really hoping modders find a way to use the high quality assets from that version in the S release :/

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This is so bad, they don't want people to compare the graphics between both purchasable options.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Says there's nothing to mod back in, instantly gives example of something to mod back in.

However I understand that it's basically impossible to do in this case. Oh well a shame there will never be a definitive version of this game.
They didn't remove any content, that's what I was referring to. I agree that the graphics aren't as good but if you only want to play the game because of good graphics then I don't know what to say really since the S version is better in every other way.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lmao

First they didn't release the Switch version alongside the PS4 and PC version, making Switch owners mad. (also 3DS owners because fuck it why not)

Then they released the Switch version with additional content, making PS4 and PC owners mad.

And now they pull this. Can't make this up.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Buying the 'S' release when I paid full price for the original was already a tough sell for me.

I'm more than fine with the Orchestral Mod, and it's not like 60fps was an issue on PC anyway.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
not too much worse, they're just lower quality than the original assets used in the ps4/pc versions. the assets had to be down-scaled for the switch port, and they're using those downscaled assets in the new version on ps4/xb/pc.

It's not only that. Foliage took a huge hit along with render range.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the version with the best graphics is only avaliable for sale on a single platform? Way to go Square.

Edit: Actually I won't be surprised if they completely remove it from PSN also.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only that. Foliage took a huge hit along with render range.
yeah, that stuff doesn't make any sense tbh. i get that they didn't want to import the old models in the new versions (well, i don't really get it but it is what it is) but i don't see why they can't up the details and foliage when running on more powerful platforms.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, that stuff doesn't make any sense tbh. i get that they didn't want to import the old models in the new versions (well, i don't really get it but it is what it is) but i don't see why they can't up the details and foliage when running on more powerful platforms.

They just went with the easiest way and port the Switch version as is to PC and consoles. It probably didn't require much work and was the cheapest solution. I honestly feel like if not for gamepass this version wouldn't have gotten released on other platforms.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Holy shit that's dumb. Dragon Quest XI's downgraded graphics are embarrassing enough already. With this move SE becomes an absolute joke with the handling of this game.