• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm not convinced that Yuji Naka at Square Enix is working on something that Era will find exciting. I remember people getting excited that one of the Chrono Trigger directors was working for Square Enix again and it just ended up being a Tokyo RPG Factory game. Looking at Yuji Naka's recent games, they're all smaller titles. I'd expect his game at Square Enix to be a similar deal.

Whatever he ends up working on, I want it to be a Sonic spiritual successor. Square Enix Japan doesn't really have any notable animal mascots.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
You're welcome, but SQEX Collective was closed in 2018.

You typoed "Forgotten" and the list of notable games probably outdated.
They did close their curation campaign but according to their Wiki page, they are still publishing games without the voting. From what I can tell, Circuit Superstars is the only project they currently have and was announced during SE's last E3 conference. I was planning to add that game, which is why I wanted the Collective section in the first place. Unless I'm missing something, please do let me know.

And you're right, the address I linked is outdated and the projects there are not live at all and that is now fixed.
I also fixed the name "Forgotton" Anne, which was previously mistyped "Forgott" Anne. Still a weird name, but hey!

IgelRM

Feb 8, 2018
Western Europe
They did close their curation campaign but according to their Wiki page, they are still publishing games without the voting. From what I can tell, Circuit Superstars is the only project they currently have and was announced during SE's last E3 conference. I was planning to add that game, which is why I wanted the Collective section in the first place. Unless I'm missing something, please do let me know.

And you're right, the address I linked is outdated and the projects there are not live at all and that is now fixed.
I also fixed the name "Forgotton" Anne, which was previously mistyped "Forgott" Anne. Still a weird name, but hey!

I would believe they are still going to try to support and publish indie devs at SE but I think the Collective name and processes, e.g. project assessments are stopped.

Removing the formerly highlighted projects list seems misleading because that's how they operated for most of the time. It appears they shifted gradually towards publishing from their initial highlighting goal, if I'm not misinterpreting.

Ah, I see Wikipedians have created an article on it:

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I would believe they are still going to try to support and publish indie devs at SE but I think the Collective name and processes, e.g. project assessments are stopped.

Removing the formerly highlighted projects list seems misleading because that's how they operated for most of the time. It appears they shifted gradually towards publishing from their initial highlighting goal, if I'm not misinterpreting.

Ah, I see Wikipedians have created an article on it:
I'm sure a lot has changed internally but as far as we know, they are still using the same name and logo. They appeared during their last E3 presentation.
I've tweaked the lists a bit, thanks!

Announcement - Circuit Superstars
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Circuit Superstars
50023134286_8f5a2ff3e7_o.png

Developed by: Original Fire Games
Platform(s): PS4, PC, Switch, XBO
Genre: Racing
Release Date: 2020

Trailer(s):
Circuit Superstars - Announcement Trailer

Latest news:
'Circuit Superstars' is the 'Forza' of Micro Machines

IgelRM

Feb 8, 2018
Western Europe
I'm sure a lot has changed internally but as far as we know, they are still using the same name and logo. They appeared during their last E3 presentation.
I've tweaked the lists a bit, thanks!
Ah, you're correct.
square-enix-games.com

2019 in review: Square Enix Collective | Square Enix Blog

We take a look back at some of the amazing Independent titles that Square Enix Collective helped publish in 2019, and look forward to what's coming up in 2020...

What is Square Enix Collective? A conversation with Square Enix's Indie game publisher

Square Enix Collective helps Indie developers publish their games - but how does it work exactly? The man in charge explains how the company works with Indies.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hey, there will be an interview with FFIX team for its 20th anniversary. Also Hiroyuki Ito is involved!!! APZonerunner, I remember you did not get in touch with him, it seems Famitsu have the exclusivity?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hey, there will be an interview with FFIX team for its 20th anniversary. Also Hiroyuki Ito is involved!!! APZonerunner, I remember you did not get in touch with him, it seems Famitsu have the exclusivity?

SE also has an interview with him on their official blog worldwide; but they weren't willing to get him for me - I guess because they didn't want to field questions about where tf he's been/what he's been doing, heh.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh I've yet to read the interview on the blog so I didn't know they got him. Yeah, I also have the same tought as you, we are dying to know what he is up since uhh ten years?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
He was probably interviewed with a gun held to his back.

"Just tell 'em you're cleaning, Hiro."

Announcement - Balan Wonderworld
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Was i the only one who spent that entire trailer waiting for the "action" part of the game described as "the action game of action games"? lol

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
On the Balan Wonderland site, if you select the two "human characters" you get an option to select their "color pallete". It seems you have limited options in this game to select the ethnicity of the player avatar in this game. The fact that it's just a color swap is a bit annoying though.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So much dedication in this thread, unfortunately it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Carry on.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Back in the PS1/PS2 days Square used to be my favorite gaming company, but nowadays the only upcoming SE project I'm interested in is Final Fantasy XVI. FF VII Remake part 1 was so disappointing I don't even care about part 2 and beyond. Project Athia looks... like it was made by the guys that did Final Fantasy XV - nuff said. I'm sure they're working on the next Nier game which is great for the fans, but I'm not one of those. Dragon Quest 12 will be just another safe and boring Dragon Quest game. After Sakaguchi's and Matsuno's departure everything kinda went to shit :(

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Back in the PS1/PS2 days Square used to be my favorite gaming company, but nowadays the only upcoming SE project I'm interested in is Final Fantasy XVI. FF VII Remake part 1 was so disappointing I don't even care about part 2 and beyond. Project Athia looks... like it was made by the guys that did Final Fantasy XV - nuff said. I'm sure they're working on the next Nier game which is great for the fans, but I'm not one of those. Dragon Quest 12 will be just another safe and boring Dragon Quest game. After Sakaguchi's and Matsuno's departure everything kinda went to shit :(

Honestly, I think Square is in a very good place right now. Almost PS2 era.

Matsuno is working on one of the sidequests for FFXIV.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I had a thought today during my afternoon nap: if SE had waited, they could have made Type-0 in a GaaS MP game.

So much dedication in this thread, unfortunately it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Carry on.

Agreed.
SE is still my most beloved company so I love to discuss (and contribute) as much as possible!

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Yeah the upcoming project diversity is really exciting for me. Athia, 7R-2, 16, and Balan are immediate gets for me, but with Nier and that new DQ coming as long as they're good I'll be getting those too

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit pessimistic about SE due to their recent years but I hope Project Athia and FF16 have something to say.

Really? I am the complete opposite lol
FFXV was "fine", but it didn't make me loathe it and I still look back at it fondly
NieR: Automata is one of my top 10 games of the gen
DQXI was a solid ass title giving fans of VIII what they wanted for a long time, I personally will not look back at it fondly but it still was a good game and a solid base for future HD DQ titles
KHIII was again just "fine" but it finally came out and it still was a game with its shit together despite being lackluster
Lots of FF ports showing a great deal of interest of preserving the legacy
The Mana ports and Remake where a nice addition and a good bone to throw to their fans, same goes for Saga
FFXIV is so interesting right now
FFVII R was amazing to me, despite some obviously debatable choices, and an overall success

Like, compared to the 2008-2015 period it's a hell of an improvement.

Sure, the quality of many of the single games might be up for debate and personal tastes, but they have clearly shown efforts in turning their ship around and consolidating their teams, visions and goals.
Now they have: better structured environment, a solid knowledge of UE for incoming projects, Luminous in the works which contrary to many I hope they iron out in a solid engine and use it for all their future games some time after next gen, better understanding of their strenghts, a more varied line-up of high profile developers than previous gen.

And by looking at the upcoming line-up, there is a huge diversity and range of budgets: Athia, FFVII R-2, NieR Remake, Babylon Fall, Bravely Default 2, more XIV content, Avengers, Balan Wonderland, DQXII, DQ Infinite Whatever, Crystal Chronicles and XI Mobile.
On top of that there is all the unannounced: FFXVI, KH4(?), Ni3R, an unannounced Action game (unless cancelled), and I'm sure something else is missing.

That is some serious meat right there.
If they manage to maintain the dates, deliver some quality titles (as in: not shit games) and not F up with their dev hell or bad marketing campaings, their next-gen will be on a roll.

Well they did make that type 0 mobile game, so they did so in a fashion, lol.

Oh yeah right.
I was just watching some Avengers videos and though "Why didn't they just do this with Type-0?".

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Really? I am the complete opposite lol
FFXV was "fine", but it didn't make me loathe it and I still look back at it fondly
NieR: Automata is one of my top 10 games of the gen
DQXI was a solid ass title giving fans of VIII what they wanted for a long time, I personally will not look back at it fondly but it still was a good game and a solid base for future HD DQ titles
KHIII was again just "fine" but it finally came out and it still was a game with its shit together despite being lackluster
Lots of FF ports showing a great deal of interest of preserving the legacy
The Mana ports and Remake where a nice addition and a good bone to throw to their fans, same goes for Saga
FFXIV is so interesting right now
FFVII R was amazing to me, despite some obviously debatable choices, and an overall success

Like, compared to the 2008-2015 period it's a hell of an improvement.

Sure, the quality of many of the single games might be up for debate and personal tastes, but they have clearly shown efforts in turning their ship around and consolidating their teams, visions and goals.
Now they have: better structured environment, a solid knowledge of UE for incoming projects, Luminous in the works which contrary to many I hope they iron out in a solid engine and use it for all their future games some time after next gen, better understanding of their strenghts, a more varied line-up of high profile developers than previous gen.

And by looking at the upcoming line-up, there is a huge diversity and range of budgets: Athia, FFVII R-2, NieR Remake, Babylon Fall, Bravely Default 2, more XIV content, Avengers, Balan Wonderland, DQXII, DQ Infinite Whatever, Crystal Chronicles and XI Mobile.
On top of that there is all the unannounced: FFXVI, KH4(?), Ni3R, an unannounced Action game (unless cancelled), and I'm sure something else is missing.

That is some serious meat right there.
If they manage to maintain the dates, deliver some quality titles (as in: not shit games) and not F up with their dev hell or bad marketing campaings, their next-gen will be on a roll.

Oh yeah right.
I was just watching some Avengers videos and though "Why didn't they just do this with Type-0?".
I was only concerned with FF and KH and while FF15 was fine it didn't meet expectations. Ditto KH3, an overhyped game that turned out to be decent at best. FF7R is probably better, haven't bought it yet since I'm still not sold out on the original game being divided in more, bloated games.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Not uncommon for SE to bring already released titles to a game event so i'm not getting my hopes up.

I only get my hopes up for Sony/MS events.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Im hoping that they announce ffxvi as another mmo. FFXIV has been incredible and lets be honest. thats where the money is.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Im hoping that they announce ffxvi as another mmo. FFXIV has been incredible and lets be honest. thats where the money is.
That'd be awful considering the sparseness in their single-player releases as it is (we've been waiting for a brand new world since 2006!) and how healthy XIV seems to be.

I think there won't be another new MMO until at least XVII.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, but even if it wasn't the same thing as Versus XIII, it's still based on that base concept, which was first shown in 2016.

In between, we've had two sequels to XIII, XIV (MMO), XV (repurposed from the Versus concept) and a remake. It's about time we see a new setting, main character and all in a single-player game. The magical thing about this series is that every game feels different and has a different world and cast, after all.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have a very strong feeling Bravely Default 2 is gonna get pushed back. We haven't heard anything else about it and there's only four more months in 2020.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I have a very strong feeling Bravely Default 2 is gonna get pushed back. We haven't heard anything else about it and there's only four more months in 2020.

This wouldn't surprise me. The demo I thought was fine but the performance was surprisingly rough in spots. Felt like it still needed more time to bake.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So that memo about announcements in August was a lie

Between July and August (which were the months mentioned in the quote you're talking about), they announced:

-KH Melody of Memories
-Balan Wonderworld
-Avengers DLC
-DQXI Definitive Edition
-Collection of SaGa

So no, they literally didn't lie.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Between July and August (which were the months mentioned in the quote you're talking about), they announced:

-KH Melody of Memories
-Balan Wonderworld
-Avengers DLC
-DQXI Definitive Edition
-Collection of SaGa

So no, they literally didn't lie.
MoM was announced in June, Avengers DLC isn't a new game announcement, DQ11 also isn't a new game announcement. The question and answer was about new games not ports so only Balan qualifies

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
MoM was announced in June, Avengers DLC isn't a new game announcement, DQ11 also isn't a new game announcement. The question and answer was about new games not ports so only Balan qualifies

I think it's pretty clear it was about new products from the games division, but if you want to imply they lied during an investor meeting, I guess that's your hill!