• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any expectations of a XIII remaster? (If you don't want it then don't quote me 😪)

They will eventually put the XIII games on newer platforms, problem is that could be next year, 5 years from now, or 10 years from now. But considering they actually put work into the Xbox One version (which is their least important platform for FF) i think the chances of it happening in the next year or two are pretty decent.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
OT 2.0 is up and running with a new head banner, courtesy of Valdei. There shouldn't be anymore out of date info but if I missed anything please let me know.
There are a few ongoing titles that still need to be added but even if we account to those, SE's internal divisions section is looking pretty bare at the moment. Between unannounced games we're sure they're working on and other unknown titles, I'm sure it won't stay that way for long.
Another thing, albeit one that would require too much work, that could be cool is a list of key figure and possible new key figures at SE to see who could be at the helm of future titles and what could they bring to the table.
I do try to keep track of that! Notable staff members are listed in the small summary for each division/subsidiary. Let me know if I'm missing anyone.
Do we have any expectations of a XIII remaster? (If you don't want it then don't quote me 😪)
This is happening for sure. Even if we don't see a remaster soon, BC will be sure to bring a fresh coat of pain to these titles. It's just a question of when.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh that poll is so gnarly.
I think of all of those it would be
1) Parasite Eve
2) Legacy of Kain
3) Musashi

Those are the ones with the most potential of a remake imho

There is Yuji Naka's project too. That could be the new action IP maybe?

I didn't put his name there as we really know too little about it.
Might be the action IP, might be a handheld or mobile thing.

DQMJ3 released on 3DS years ago. The new DQM is actually the game with Erik and his sister as kids and it's not a Joker game (think more like DQM4).

This shows how little I know about DQ spinoffs lol
Will update!

OT 2.0 is up and running with a new head banner, courtesy of Valdei. There shouldn't be anymore out of date info but if I missed anything please let me know.
There are a few ongoing titles that still need to be added but even if we account to those, SE's internal divisions section is looking pretty bare at the moment. Between unannounced games we're sure they're working on and other unknown titles, I'm sure it won't stay that way for long.

I do try to keep track of that! Notable staff members are listed in the small summary for each division/subsidiary. Let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Great job and OT 2.0! I'll be sure to help!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I need to play a sequel to Legacy of Kain: defiance before I die.

At the very least they should do an HD remaster of Blood Omen. It's a top-down Zelda-y game, aside from the cinematics I'm sure it can't be that expensive to uprez it.

Announcement - Bravely Default II
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Bravely Default II
50004908081_63bab7d5cb_o.png

Last edited:

MintMuffin

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
I voted TWEWY, but my real answer will always be FFTA. You'd think when freaking Brigandine and Langrisser are having new games, SE would be wise enough to dust off its own SRPG franchise.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yuji Naka Presents: Gex the Gecko
I remember the PS1 game, I never finished it but it was great. I would welcome a return.

I'm not convinced that Yuji Naka at Square Enix is working on something that Era will find exciting. I remember people getting excited that one of the Chrono Trigger directors was working for Square Enix again and it just ended up being a Tokyo RPG Factory game. Looking at Yuji Naka's recent games, they're all smaller titles. I'd expect his game at Square Enix to be a similar deal.
Yeah, maybe it'll be a AA game but I expect it to be fun. We will see.

I didn't put his name there as we really know too little about it.
Might be the action IP, might be a handheld or mobile thing.
I don't believe it'll be for mobile, maybe for Switch. But I think we will see more about his project later this year or next year considering he arrived at Square Enix at late 2019.

About the poll, I think these games could be remade on modern platform but personally, I want to see a Chrono Cross and a Lagacy of Kain remake. But the most probable would be a Parasite Eve remake, it makes so much sense when you see Square is going towards to more Action games.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I can't wait until Life is Strange 3.

I do hope we have a "Before the Storm" like game with Life is Strange 2, of course one of the endings will have to be the true ending but if it's the one where they go to Mexico maybe we could get Sean and Daniel beginnings there.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I can't wait until Life is Strange 3.

I do hope we have a "Before the Storm" like game with Life is Strange 2, of course one of the endings will have to be the true ending but if it's the one where they go to Mexico maybe we could get Sean and Daniel beginnings there.
SE and Deck Nine (the studio behind Before the Storm) are in fact working together on a new title, so that's entirely possible!

Life is Strange: Before the Storm Developer Deck Nine Games is Working on a New Project with Square Enix

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I remember the PS1 game, I never finished it but it was great. I would welcome a return.

Yeah, maybe it'll be a AA game but I expect it to be fun. We will see.

I don't believe it'll be for mobile, maybe for Switch. But I think we will see more about his project later this year or next year considering he arrived at Square Enix at late 2019.

About the poll, I think these games could be remade on modern platform but personally, I want to see a Chrono Cross and a Lagacy of Kain remake. But the most probable would be a Parasite Eve remake, it makes so much sense when you see Square is going towards to more Action games.
I have a feeling no matter what they do with a Legacy of Kain remake, I will hate it.

I just want a sequel to Defiance, dammit.

Nov 22, 2017
Chrono or Vagrant Story as far I am concerned.
Xenogears won't happen and the others,,, although I like, I rather have new IPs.

Oh and where the heck is Front Mission...

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Amen. Both FFT and Tactics Ogre need HD ports.

Chrono or Vagrant Story as far I am concerned.
Xenogears won't happen and the others,,, although I like, I rather have new IPs.

Oh and where the heck is Front Mission...

Few things would make me happier than to have their entire SNES and PS1 catalog available on current platforms. I don't know how much it would cost to do but they have an extensive enough back catalog at this point that they coukd have an entire team that does nothing more than Unity ports of the back catalog. Like an in-house Digital Eclipse.

Announcement - NieR Replicant - Remaster

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Athia was ok I guess, too soon to gauge my hype on it especially because yuck isekai, but a minority protagonist, an array of western writers and full next-gen keeps it on my radar, just need to see more.

Where are we on that XVI expectation? I was dead sure it would have been yesterday.
Assuming people like Kagari (who iirc from neogaf was a spot on person) were right and it was pulled out, when do you expect it?
SE own event? PS5 August showcase? Later? TGA?
I still think it's this year and comes out the next one.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the FF fanbase is on Playstation, so a major Playstation event would make the most sense. Yesterday was the biggest playstation event for the next 6-8 years so if they intended on showing it off anytime soon i don't know why they wouldn't have shown it there.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The majority of the FF fanbase is on Playstation, so a major Playstation event would make the most sense. Yesterday was the biggest playstation event for the next 6-8 years so if they intended on showing it off anytime soon i don't know why they wouldn't have shown it there.

Maybe they simply weren't able to prepare a trailer in time? Y'know, covud and stuff.

Yep, this is it. I don't expect it any sooner than that (nor any later).

Man, let's hope so.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Athia was ok I guess, too soon to gauge my hype on it especially because yuck isekai, but a minority protagonist, an array of western writers and full next-gen keeps it on my radar, just need to see more.

Where are we on that XVI expectation? I was dead sure it would have been yesterday.
Assuming people like Kagari (who iirc from neogaf was a spot on person) were right and it was pulled out, when do you expect it?
SE own event? PS5 August showcase? Later? TGA?
I still think it's this year and comes out the next one.
I'm sure Kagari still has her sources (I think she still runs/works at a FF fansite?) but I'm leaning more towards Schreier's take that it was never planned for the show and I don't think we'll see it any time soon. I'm sure it's in development but I think Square Enix have finally learnt their lesson and aren't going to announce it absurdly early like they've done with the last however many AAA FF's.

Announcement - Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest - The Adventure of Dai
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Kagari still has her sources (I think she still runs/works at a FF fansite?) but I'm leaning more towards Schreier's take that it was never planned for the show and I don't think we'll see it any time soon. I'm sure it's in development but I think Square Enix have finally learnt their lesson and aren't going to announce it absurdly early like they've done with the last however many AAA FF's.

I have my doubts on the "not seeing it any time soon" part: if it's the one AAA we are all following, CBU3's game that started pre-production in 2017 and entered full production last year, then it should definitely be in the state where a reveal could happen and be substantial enough to kill any 'lol 2025' jokes. I get not wanting to repeat a XV-KH3-VIIR situation, but announcing a game 1-2 years before release it's nothing out of the ordinary.
I still think we'll see it before the end of the year.

Announcement - Project Athia

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I have my doubts on the "not seeing it any time soon" part: if it's the one AAA we are all following, CBU3's game that started pre-production in 2017 and entered full production last year, then it should definitely be in the state where a reveal could happen and be substantial enough to kill any 'lol 2025' jokes. I get not wanting to repeat a XV-KH3-VIIR situation, but announcing a game 1-2 years before release it's nothing out of the ordinary.
I still think we'll see it before the end of the year.
Assuming Division 3's game IS FFXVI (and I don't think we should take that for granted) then a full blown, entirely new FF is going to take more than 2-3 years in full production to develop. Four years would IMO be the minimum (though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they needed even more time), which would put it in 2023. So yeah, I don't think we'll see it any time soon.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Forgot about it for a while, but I finally added the SE Collective section that IgelRM worked on.

Thanks again Igel, it only took me 2 years!