• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(...)
"I believe that our teams have made it so that the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles. I believe it is being developed so that it is going to be playable on both, so I'm not really concerned about that and I believe that the fans are also going to be able to enjoy it on both, including the next-generation of consoles."
(...)

kinda expected

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If I had time to interview the president of Square Enix, I wouldn't waste that time by asking him such an obvious question.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting but it seems like a wishy washy answer, that could mean anything from "expect a remaster or port later" to "the next consoles are backwards compatible so".

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it is going to work with the game split into 3 or more parts. Will the gameplay systems stay the same? Its one hell of a weird decision to split this game up. Knowing SE, they will have a hard time developing the other parts for next gen and it will take a while. They might as well just release a complete game for next gen exclusively.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
can't wait for each game to also have a season pass and for some reason the ps4 copy not be backwards compatiable on the ps5 so you'll have to buy a copy of the older episodes again anyway

Oct 30, 2017
100% Will be released on PS5 sometime in 2021 with all the DLCs and extras.. that's given ( doesn't matter PS5 is BC with PS4 another version will be released for it ).

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna resell the first part as a definitive edition a year later lmao se has no shame.
Why would they do this if the game is forwards compatible, and as such all you need to do as a consumer is go out and buy the original version (with a patch for the next gen upgrade like X1X does right now).

I doubt the game is going to get much major dlc, so I'm not even sure what a definitive version would entail.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm still interested in seeing is if cross gen will work in the traditional sense where there will need to be mutliple versions of games, or if the Pro/X upgraded systems have changed that

Eventually stuff will only work on the new ones but you can probably just have a "next gen" patch?

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Considering this game won't be fully finished until 2022 (at best) not being a cross-gen project wouldn't make much sense as a business decision. What I wonder is if Episode 2 and forward are going to be released also on the PS4 or will be PS5 exclusives.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Was there any doubt? They will release the complete shit for ps5/scarlett/steam down the line, you're crazy if you think this game is staying on the ps4.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely going to be cross-gen, well, the series that is.

The first installment, I'm not so sure that it'll have a PS5 version, probably just a patch.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All the games will be playable on the PS4 (and Xbox One if that version happens). They cannot just expect people to upgrade their consoles to finish the story, even if the next consoles will be BC. We may get the final episode in 8 years on the PS4. Imagine that.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BC isn't going to stop developers from re-rereleasing the game on PS5 with exclusive upgrades.
I would definitely "never say never" about Square re-releasing FF7 part 1 later on PS5 for extra money, yeah.

Although when I look at something like how well FFXIII runs on Xbox One X, I actually do think modern BC solutions really do cut the need for actual next-gen remasters off at the knee. To the point that Square might be just fine selling the 360 version on Xbox platforms going forward.

So it is possible (yes, remain skeptical) but possible that the PS4 version of FF7 part 1 could be the version they keep selling going forward depending on how well PS4 BC is implemented on PS5.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I would definitely "never say never" about Square re-releasing their games later, yeah.

Although when I look at something like how well FFXIII runs on Xbox One X, I actually do think modern BC solutions really do cut the need for actual next-gen remasters off at the knee. To the point that Square might be just fine selling the 360 version on Xbox platforms going forward.

So it is possible (yes, remain skeptical) but possible that the PS4 version of FF7 part 1 could be the version they keep selling going forward depending on how well PS4 BC is implemented on PS5.

Oh, they likely cut the need.

But, for example, Sony isn't missing out on profit from a $60 The Last of Us 2 Remastered.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i believe they will release for the ps5 as a new edition with better fps, resolution, etc, and who has the ps4 game will play how the game is on the ps4.
unfortunately

Oct 25, 2017
I'll gladly replay it on Ps5. I'm not confident I'll rebuy a special Ps5 version. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

My hope is they are building a special feature into the game that unlocks a uncap framerate so that when you put it into your Ps5, it automatically bumps it up to 60fps.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Very interesting choice of words, ''consoles'' instead of ps4 of ps5.

I will probably wait and get the scarlett or ps5 version. Not in a rush to play this one.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, they likely cut the need.

But, for example, Sony isn't missing out on profit from a $60 The Last of Us 2 Remastered.
Maybe, maybe not. If you look over at Microsoft again, they have been just as happy re-selling the 360 versions of games in modern ways (Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Rare Replay), while still letting people put in their 360 disc to get the exact same remaster.

Sony and Square aren't Microsoft. But the same calculous might be there. Instead of spending dev time on some remastered release, if the turnkey BC solution for a great PS4 game on PS5 is already there, they might be happy to just keep selling the PS4 one digitally. Even keep it on store shelves or repackage it with PS5 branding (happened with many 360 games being branded Xbox One titles). And of course that means people using the old PS4 disc or digital version would get that same version for free.

Of course we will see, and I'm still hedging my bets having said all this.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
I'll just get the collection when all 5 parts are realeased, in 2056

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I hope games are enhanced automatically when playing it on a next gen console. I know Microsoft is trying to do something like that (Phil Spencer GiantBomb interview) but I am more of a PlayStation guy so make it happen Sony!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So like a PC game that scales to the hardware

Thought hopefully PS4 support wont hold it back but modern games built on X86 hardware seem to scale up and down without major issues holding them back right?