• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Now that's how it's done. This issue deserves a strong message of positivity, solidarity and goodwill along with the action. Good job Square Enix.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty bold for a Japanese company with no westerners in leadership or on their board. Good for them.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's pretty freaking awesome, they've been really good about supporting people during the Covid pandemic as well. I don't know how much they've taken on other issues but I've really noticed their support lately.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
This quote has felt pretty relevant lately.
aJjC2X3.jpg

m5aoJVR.jpg
This game pulled no punches in its social commentary.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Respect. I personally made a small donation and I encourage everyone here to do what you can to help.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing and so much respect to SE and the 7 Remake voice actors speaking out against police violence.I constantly see Brianna(Aerith) and Britt(Tifa) commenting and enganging.

I hope any Final Fantasy 7 and 8 fan realizes that the real world parallel to these games organizations is the police. Galbadia and Shinra are corrupt forces that use violence to stay on top. Avalanche and Timber resistance(Forest Owls) oppose their abuse. Just remember what side both games want us to support.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely love to see one day a black main character in a Final Fantasy game. Maybe XVI or somewhere down the line.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk tho this was the company that I wanted the most to do something seeing as this is the studio behind my two of my favorite video game series

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, love the donation and employee match.

Also chiming in to say gamers shouldn't be surprised considering the content of Square's games. Rebels fighting against an unjust system in Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Life is Strange.

So glad to see them use their position for good in real life.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This is amazing and so much respect to SE and the 7 Remake voice actors speaking out against police violence.I constantly see Brianna(Aerith) and Britt(Tifa) commenting and enganging.

I hope any Final Fantasy 7 and 8 fan realizes that the real world parallel to these games organizations is the police. Galbadia and Shinra are corrupt forces that use violence to stay on top. Avalanche and Timber resistance(Forest Owls) oppose their abuse. Just remember what side both games want us to support.

Best girls are out there fighting for the cause too?

Respect to the all-time greats.

b33685ed91ce870f54588a60c5658d9075660dc1.gifv

31f09d008eca4f1c84831bf80a358943c028fd14.gifv

48c46020699dd6aa4450e3f10e8c2c1c31ff8844.gifv

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My FFXIV sub is put to good use.

Always been a huge Square-Enix fanboy, and always will be, so long as they keep doing stuff like this.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Very good to hear.

Real talk tho this was the company that I wanted the most to do something seeing as this is the studio behind my two of my favorite video game series
Yeah. Same here, been following them since my beginning playing games when they were Square and got me hooked on JRPGs. So many years and favorites.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Square Enix taking it to the next level with that hefty contribution plus matching employee donations. Fucking kudos to them. They have my respect.

Oct 25, 2017
Many of those twitter replies are embarrassing and make me loathe gaming culture= because based on my personal observations on social media they most definitely are not a small percentage of the gamer population at large.
A lot of the replies that crop up against these sorts of announcements have been more than shit. And that's being positive about them. Even on a lot of gaming websites that cover these announcements the comments don't get any better.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
That's awesome of them.

Those Twitter replies are precisely why it's important for these companies to also speak up - voicing support for BLM right now is not "empty platitudes" but important, much needed words.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Square not just making a statement but putting their money where their mouth is. Wonderful gesture.

Bavera__

Feb 3, 2019
Italy
It's legit incredible how square and EA have been possibly some of the best responders to the BLM/protests responders so far despite all the shit they constantly get, especially EA

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Sharing resources, donating money, AND matching employee donations? Color me happily surprised.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Great to see.

I don't like to be that person, but... a great gesture would be stop working with Sugiyama.