• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Square Enix's Osaka team is hiring UI designers, effect designers, and technical artists to work on the "HD development of the Kingdom Hearts series," according to newly posted job listings:

The most recent entry in the series, Kingdom Hearts III, launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in January. A downloadable expansion, "Re:Mind," is due out this winter. Beyond that, a new entry in the series has not been announced.

Thanks, @KHUnion and @aibo_ac7.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally they're making an HD Kingdom Hearts game!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see whatever comes next after Remind. The next arc is already looking intriguing from what we know.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the sales of 3 and Disney's strenght of brand these days, it's a no brainer. Their work on KH probably helped them snag the Avengers game deal too

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
8YSp.gif

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If ReMind is still hitting this holiday it's almost certainly finished and in final debut, or finished and in/through console cert at this point. This is for the next game which shouldn't be too terribly surprising.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nomura already said the next game won't be KH4..

At this point, there are no more bullshit handhelds they can hide behind.

Worst case scenario is a switch game, but I can see that easily going multiplat if it was exclusive for a year or whatever.

At the end of the day though, KH3 felt a little disappointing.

To me, kh2 is still the pinnacle by a LARGE margin.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, there are no more bullshit handhelds they can hide behind.

Worst case scenario is a switch game, but I can see that easily going multiplat if it was exclusive for a year or whatever.
It doesn't even necessarily have to be Switch. They could make another PS4/Xbox One, or even next-gen game and make it with subtitle.
It's just that the numbered KH has some rules set by Nomura (such as Sora being the MC, along with Goofy and Donald being party members, etc) so that's why they could make a subtitle game to have something else.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It doesn't even necessarily have to be Switch. They could make another PS4/Xbox One, or even next-gen game and make it with subtitle.
It's just that the numbered KH has some rules set by Nomura (such as Sora being the MC, along with Goofy and Donald being party members, etc) so that's why they could make a subtitle game to have something else.

Think of it like this

Numbered KH: Avengers
Subtitled KH: Solo MCU films

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I honestly hope they stop numbering the games from now on, I feel like it would stop people from thinking some are less important or whatever.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad, but please get someone other than Nomura to write the plot for the next entry.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with Osaka team games?

I genuinely loved BBS, enjoyed KH3 enough, and I thought DDD was very weak with like 3 standout moments.
They've improved a ton with KH3, but at least in the case of BBS and DDD, their boss and combat balance left a lot to be desired. Plus the cutscene writer/director who started with BBS is real bad :(

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
They've improved a ton with KH3, but at least in the case of BBS and DDD, their boss and combat balance left a lot to be desired. Plus the cutscene writer/director who started with BBS is real bad :(

I can definitely agree with you on the boss design as I got my ass kicked so much in DDD that I just gave up and watched the rest of the game in YouTube videos. And BBS was really tough too and required some grinding.

I just hated DDD, so I didn't have the patience to go back and grind for more experience.

Lol, but I really love the story and writing of BBS. (Not so much DDD and again 3 is just okay) I also was going through a time in my life where the Ventus' story really stood out to me, so it hit on a personal level.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely agree with you on the boss design as I got my ass kicked so much in DDD that I just gave up and watched the rest of the game in YouTube videos. And BBS was really tough too and required some grinding.

I just hated DDD, so I didn't have the patience to go back and grind for more experience.

Lol, but I really love the story and writing of BBS. (Not so much DDD and again 3 is just okay) I also was going through a time in my life where the Ventus' story really stood out to me, so it hit on a personal level.
I still like BBS a lot - even if it's kinda broken, it's super fun and the story has a ton of cool 'no way!' moments. DDD is crap though, yeah - it has by far the shortest development time of any KH (about two years), and it reaaaally shows.

0.2 has the fab Aqua boss fight, and critical in KH3 is actually pretty good, so I'm optimistic re: future games.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They must be bluffing. I mean, what would that make the next Kingdom Hearts game? DOUBLE HD?

All joking aside, KH3 IIRC sold over 5 million. Not bad at all and very respectable number considering all the barriers to entree. Although it wasnt worth the decade and a half long wait and i do have nitpicks and some issues with the game compared to KH2, nothing short of a miracle would have been worth the wait and on the whole it was a very solid and good experience, which is a miracle and not something you can usually say for a game series 15 years apart in main releases. I'm honestly curious about where Osaka team will take KH next after the remind DLC

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This game will probably be another side game to flesh out all the stuff from KHUX, which is clearly being set up as a big thing.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
If this is the next big KH title then I hope the Osaka team continues to learn and improve.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
SE has a fair few next-gen games in development now (like... 4 including this). Probably see a bunch hit 2022-ish.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yeah they have not yet coined the term for mainline gaming... it s not really "home" because of streaming capabilities... so HD will do, as highest definition, of games assets and resolution, not just resolution alone.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I was in from the very beginning with KH1 but KH3 was my biggest disappointment of the year. I can't tolerate the KH writing anymore.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am done with the series after 3. Should have quit after KH2 tbh.
On the other side the gameplay of 3 was really good, so maybe I will buy the next game just for that and skip all cutscenes.