• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
the game has achievements and games with expanding trophy lists every update (like FFXV) are a plague

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Trophies are part of Playstation's society. But they must be fed with subscriptions - active subscriptions!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BI4jsWB.gif

What's the origin of this gif anyways?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I believe Microsoft policies are holding up a port to xbox and are specifically the reason for it not to be on the xbox. Nintendo policies might hold it back but I doubt it will ever be on switch because of the power difference.
That doesn't seem to the case now though since Dauntless has crossplay chat and isn't a fps.

Interesting. I struggle to imagine what policy Nintendo might have preventing FFXIV and not DQX?

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Real exchange from Squeenix offices on the day the DLC was about to launch:

Cloud Strife: 'Bu bu bu but Yoshida! We can't release this DLC without trophies!'

Moogle: 'Kupo!' (It's against the law!)

Yoshida: *sunglasses land on face from above* 'Fuck the police!' *pushes 'Launch DLC' button'

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem to the case now though since Dauntless has crossplay chat and isn't a fps.

Interesting. I struggle to imagine what policy Nintendo might have preventing FFXIV and not DQX?
Again it's been microsoft blocking it since the beginning and they still are. I don't get why people are running to defend microsoft and shit on Sony when Sony has nothing to do with this and hasn't since the beginning even with the issues with sony crossplay on other games.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think the general theory is that Microsoft wants to allow for the option of no crossplay, and Square doesn't.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like saying Square had to add trophies by law is a very tame, but very real distillation of the way some gamers think.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"By law" is quite funny, but let's be real, OP meant "according to platform holders TRC standards" which is a valid question. The answer to which is, no, they can request exceptions to stuff for various reasons and that's probably what happened here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think the general theory is that Microsoft wants to allow for the option of no crossplay, and Square doesn't.

I don't think that's the case anymore. Minecraft IIRC, doesn't even make it optional. Everyone is treated as a regular player.

The last comment from Square was some bs about crosschat being the reason, so that's where we are, all of their previous reasons have been dealt with afaik. The new reasons seem to be the most vague because they seemingly don't make any sense.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine making the Avengers Endgame of Final Fantasy games, only to be thrown in jail because of some icon doesn't pop up when you do stuff in a game.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
4 pages of era getting hung up on a stupid mistake, y'all know what op meant, jfc.

I with you op, adding trophies to dlc would add enjoyment for me as well. I'm upset they didn't add any to the dark souls 3dlc.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hahahaha, one of the best threads in a while!

Personally I'm glad they didn't add trophies. I find them distracting and sometimes force me to play in not-fun ways.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the case anymore. Minecraft IIRC, doesn't even make it optional.

The last comment from Square was some bs about crosschat being the reason, so that's where we are, all of their previous reasons have been dealt with afaik.

Minecraft is a MS game. That alone doesn't invalidate what YoshiP said.

The guy has been saying for years who is at fault. If it wasn't the case we would know by now.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few have said this already but it's likely hardware limitations. FFXIV may not seem like a super demanding game, but it's an MMO and there are often hundreds of characters in a zone at once. PS4 can really struggle in city zones.

I still think it's do-able on Switch, but the idea that Switch isn't powerful enough is probably not as crazy as it might seem from looking at screenshots or gameplay videos.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Again it's been microsoft blocking it since the beginning and they still are. I don't get why people are running to defend microsoft and shit on Sony when Sony has nothing to do with this and hasn't since the beginning even with the issues with sony crossplay on other games.
General policies are indeed why this defaults to Sony. Also YoshiP's voice chat regulation appears to have been lifted now for other genres so maybe FFXIV Xbox is coming?

That used to be an issue but isn't now. There are crossplay Xbox games without opt out now (like Sea of Thieves).

Hardware limitations.
GPDWin2 runs everything before Shadowbringers playably at least, don't know about SB itself as I've seen no testing. And generally as a rule anything GPWin2 can run Switch can run too, often better. The stated reason I'm aware of for dropping PS3 (256MB main RAM) also shouldn't be an issue for Switch (4GB main RAM). A streaming client is also a regional option in Asia. I'm curious, has YoshiP ever indicated performance as a reason Switch hasn't gotten FFXIV?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Trophies/Achievements became the biggest reason people make a purchase, that, that was when I knew gaming was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.