• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
As far as the characters are concerned, they DID do it and their bomb went off without a hitch. If anything, it's gonna be interesting to see if they even find out.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was unsure about this at first too but the more time passes I actually really like it

For all Avalanche know, they accomplished their goals - Considering how quickly they were running away, they kinda wanted a similar effect - not just a minor thing that could easily be repaired. They could make it a bit awkward by having Barret be like "it wasn't supposed to do that!" but I doubt he will. EDIT: Forgot about Jessie admitting the bomb was more powerful in the original, so yeah there's precedent.

Shinra "helped" them because their entire goal is to make Avalanche public enemy no. 1 and connect them to Wutai, in order to justify their war. That is DELIGHTFULLY evil and actually makes the levelling of Sector 7 make a bit more sense later on - they're willing to sacrifice their own subjects in order to guarantee their own power. They also have enough money to replace whatever, because they're capitalism magnified.

It'll also help explain why they don't just send massive attack squads to track down Avalanche - they want them to sow some discord so they can make the threat seem even bigger.

good points

OP
OP
Kakihara

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
The FF7 diehard purist will be probably have a bad time with this. This is an adaptation/retelling, not 1:1.
I got no problem with changing bits and pieces here and there, but this is just playing it safe. So the Final Fantasys VII Remake doesn't get any "bad press problems."

Well Cloud and Avalanche aren't heroes.

There's a lot of tonal inconsistencies in FFVII as it is but I think it's important to realize that ecoterrorists aren't heroes. They may be right about the planet being destroyed but killing people isn't a way to prevent it. Barret eventually realizes this and I hope they make that more obvious than in the original.

Not in the mood for finding sources of the original game, but thats true. Even if it is not a big thing in the game, but barret is fully aware at one point, that they killed a lot of people when exploding the reactores. And changes his ways because of that.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I read the previews, and it sounds like innocent people are shown dying because of AVALANCHE, so it's not like Square Enix is backing down from their terrorism.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while but didn't they say the original that they made sure the reactor was empty and there were no casualties anyway (except of those poor soldiers lol)? 🤔

Either way it doesn't seem important at all

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I was unsure about this at first too but the more time passes I actually really like it

For all Avalanche know, they accomplished their goals - Considering how quickly they were running away, they kinda wanted a similar effect - not just a minor thing that could easily be repaired. They could make it a bit awkward by having Barret be like "it wasn't supposed to do that!" but I doubt he will. EDIT: Forgot about Jessie admitting the bomb was more powerful in the original, so yeah there's precedent.

Shinra "helped" them because their entire goal is to make Avalanche public enemy no. 1 and connect them to Wutai, in order to justify their war. That is DELIGHTFULLY evil and actually makes the levelling of Sector 7 make a bit more sense later on - they're willing to sacrifice their own subjects in order to guarantee their own power. They also have enough money to replace whatever, because they're capitalism magnified.

It'll also help explain why they don't just send massive attack squads to track down Avalanche - they want them to sow some discord so they can make the threat seem even bigger.

Excellently said and I agree completely.

OP
OP
Kakihara

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Honestly, this is a non-issue and I'll explain why:

Even after Avalanche blew up the reactor in the original game, ShinRa decided to frame Avalanche as the enemy of Midgar.
In the original, Jesse messed up the programming of the bomb. In the Remake, she made the bomb too shitty. Either way Jesse still doesn't look great.

Also, you're omitting the trailer where Tifa says she feels trapped for taking part in missions like these. Also, there's text out there from Square Enix that states that this version of Avalanche is a fringe group that wasn't accepted by the original. That could be interpreted as being extremists. We won't know until the full game is released which is why I'm not going to get upset about this yet.

Honestly, we need the full context of the full game before we get upset about story bits in the demo. If it actually turns out that they baby-fied Avalanche, then sure I would agree with OP and get upset. But for now, I'll lay low.
Thanks, for the explanation. Didn't know about that stuff.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the demo, glad it wasnt me mis-remembering the original really did land the casualties at Avalanche's feet.

SHINRA's EVIL Y'ALL.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
While the original game doesn't really show this, I feel like it is implied when you talk to Jessie after the first bombing run. She explains that the power of the bomb she made surprised her. She didn't think it would do that much destruction.

Oops...
Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud.

I think this shows that Shinra was trying to make this destruction look worse. Where in the Remake they don't imply, they show it happen.

I think the fan translation of the game may even suggest this further but I can't find it at the moment.

almendrabl

Jan 24, 2020
I actually agree with OP. That's a pretty shitty change.

I was hoping they'd actually go in hard on the pro-environmentalist/anti-capitalist themes of FFVII in the Remake (since it's so relevent today) but I'm getting the sense that they probably aren't going to take the opportunity to do that.
Comment seen above:

"I'm pretty sure they're just interpreting a part different from the way the english translation did. Jessie admits in the original that the explosion in the bombing mission was way bigger than she intended, which caused the deaths of civilians. The assumption in the original is that Jessie is an idiot that got innocent people killed because she didn't carry the 1. In remake, they're saying Shinra was the one that caused the bigger explosion"

almendrabl

Jan 24, 2020
I hadn't played the demo yet, but that is pretty bullshit. As clumsy as the original translation is, having the dialog where some AVALANCHE members wonder about the toll their actions take gives the story, and the character's actions, more nuance. It also helps broaden Cloud's whole "willing to do anything for pay" outlook at the beginning of the game.
Comment seen above:

"I'm pretty sure they're just interpreting a part different from the way the english translation did. Jessie admits in the original that the explosion in the bombing mission was way bigger than she intended, which caused the deaths of civilians. The assumption in the original is that Jessie is an idiot that got innocent people killed because she didn't carry the 1. In remake, they're saying Shinra was the one that caused the bigger explosion"

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To all of you "AVALANCHE thinks the explosion was them so it's still morally grey" folks:

Having Shinra create the explosion themselves gives AVALANCHE plausible deniability, even if the characters themselves aren't aware. The story and the player can assume that AVALANCHE's bomb wouldn't have been devastating enough to cause civilian casualties and it was only big bad Shinra's intervention that resulted in collateral damage. Regardless of the outcome, there's no blood on AVALANCHE's hands in this scenario, not even by mistake, which really neuters any further arcs about AVALANCHE's culpability and their "sins", something original VII explores.

Contrast to the original where the blame for the collateral damage rests solely on AVALANCHE's shoulders and haunts the party members to the point where AVALANCHE members wonder with their dying breath if they deserve their fate and you should be able to see why this is an issue.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's more like Han still shot first, then missed, then Greedo shot back but the bullet ricocheted off the wall and bounced back to kill him.

A little more convoluted but weird but not really destructive to the characterization in the same way.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While the original game doesn't really show this, I feel like it is implied when you talk to Jessie after the first bombing run. She explains that the power of the bomb she made surprised her. She didn't think it would do that much destruction.

I think this shows that Shinra was trying to make this destruction look worse. Where in the Remake they don't imply, they show it happen.

I think the fan translation of the game may even suggest this further but I can't find it at the moment.
In the original Avalanche is shown as being out of their depth and not very competent. Like how the members that got the security codes for the Mako reactors lost their lives. Jessie messing up when making the bomb played into that. Yet despite the casualties they (and the player) continue on to the next bombing mission with the full knowledge that they could be killing a lot of innocent people again. By having Shinra be repsonsible for the massive explosion, it completely changes the players relationship to what happens.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they're turning a couple hour chunk of a game into a full length one, they need to add some plot stuff, yeah?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I saw the dialogue about other cells not talking to Barret's group myself in the hands-on, but there's also Barret's official description on the official website, which reads: "The leader of an independent Avalanche cell in Midgar, Barret was disavowed by the old guard for his extreme methods that attracted too much attention."

Presumably Barret's actions in Midgar in this chapter of the game are going to fuck things up for the other versions of AVALANCHE throughout the world. This also all lines up with the compilation lore, where in Before Crisis there are significantly more organized branches of AVALANCHE (and in that game, we see Barret as a younger man, encountering that organization).

So, yeah. The AVALANCHE plot is changing, but it wasn't really touched on much in the original, to be fair.

In a way it's pretty cool that Avalanche is getting bigger in the scope of FFVII's lore, but it's also kinda weird considering the name Avalanche was used to denote something extremist for starters. Maybe they should came out with a different name for a big organization and Avalanche would be the name of its "problematic" branch, dunno. In the end, it's cool that the Avalanche thing is getting expanded.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's been a while but didn't they say the original that they made sure the reactor was empty and there were no casualties anyway (except of those poor soldiers lol)? 🤔

Either way it doesn't seem important at all

There are thousands of people that live in each Sector, when a plate comes down it doesn't exactly matter that the reactor was clear of people. Avalanche and Barret have no idea what they're doing, they act out of raw emotion without a clear plan and end up hurting the people they're supposedly helping.

If SE was changing the fact that Avalanche is a terrorist group I know I'd be pissed. It'd completely let them off the hook and they kill a lot of people.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
In a way it's pretty cool that Avalanche is getting bigger in the scope of FFVII's lore, but it's also kinda weird considering the name Avalanche was used to denote something extremist for starters. Maybe they should came out with a different name for a big organization and Avalanche would be the name of its "problematic" branch, dunno. In the end, it's cool that the Avalanche thing is getting expanded.

The AVALANCHE stuff goes deeper in the compilation lore anyway. Who knows if it'll be in the remake, but in Before Crisis it's revealed that Rufus Shinra was anonymously/secretly funding AVALANCHE for years in the hopes it'd undermine his father and trigger his ascension to President, which totally fits with the narcissistic rant we get to introduce him in FF7. Again, in the remake, we have Heidigger mentioning an attempt on President Shinra's life. Was this one of the other, more professional AVALANCHE cells... and were they funded by Rufus?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To all of you "AVALANCHE thinks the explosion was them so it's still morally grey" folks:

Having Shinra create the explosion themselves gives AVALANCHE plausible deniability, even if the characters themselves aren't aware. The story and the player can assume that AVALANCHE's bomb wouldn't have been devastating enough to cause civilian casualties and it was only big bad Shinra's intervention that resulted in collateral damage. Regardless of the outcome, there's no blood on AVALANCHE's hands in this scenario, not even by mistake, which really neuters any further arcs about AVALANCHE's culpability and their "sins", something original VII explores.

Contrast to the original where the blame for the collateral damage rests solely on AVALANCHE's shoulders and haunts the party members to the point where AVALANCHE members wonder with their dying breath if they deserve their fate and you should be able to see why this is an issue.

I think a lot of it will still work - Avalanche kicking the hornet's nest in the first place is still the reason Sector 7 gets destroyed, and they're still fundamentally the cause of the Sector 1 explosion. They didn't pull the trigger, but they still provided the gun, and I figure Barret at least will continue to argue it was the right decision to make.

I mostly just remember the Cait Sith speech, though, and that's the one I can see essentially having the same vibe.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

People died, they think they're to blame and they still decide to go and blow up another reactor...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
But... Nothing really changes either way. They fully intended for the bomb to blow. They are still convinced they blew up the reactor. Their "morally gray" attribute hasn't gone anywhere.

If anything, the only thing that the scene does is make Shinra look even worse than they were before and also 100% in line with their previously established character.

Edit: spelling
This.

Dudes wildin out here lol.

Jan 10, 2018
I like this change. I don't think it was spelled out too clearly in the original for there to be a definitive explanation. Changes like this feel somewhat justified, especially concidering how they need to have a lot of dramatic stuff in there to make Midgar a full size game.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Final fantasy 7 is my favourite game of all time. I have no issues with this. It sets up Shinra earlier and the theme of avalanche doing bad things for a good reason is still there.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My bet is that Jessie still thinks she messed up and somehow made the bomb too powerful, because the explosion created by Shinra has a much more devastating effect.

It's still going to work narratively.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt stop the fact the group ... or at least cloud kills every grunt in sight (the exception being the dude who's knocked out at the begining) They are still terrible people.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched the original in years so when i saw it I actually thought maybe i missed something or forgot about when i played the original.

Avalanches attack on the reactors was always a small cog in the story so i don't see it as a huge issue. Although it does slightly take away from the scene where jesse and biggs are dieing and confess to cloud how they deserve this because of all the people they killed.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
By having Shinra be repsonsible for the massive explosion, it completely changes the players relationship to what happens.
But the characters don't know that Shinra was responsible, right? So the player can fully see what the characters do while they believe that it was their bomb that did the massive damage.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Can't have our protags be morally grey now, can we? Based on the demo they really ruined AVALANCHE.

The intent was totally still there. The real bad change would be if they try to act like there's no fault or guilt to be had by them imo. If they dont do that then than I dont really think it's that big of a deal tbh

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of it will still work - Avalanche kicking the hornet's nest in the first place is still the reason Sector 7 gets destroyed, and they're still fundamentally the cause of the Sector 1 explosion. They didn't pull the trigger, but they still provided the gun, and I figure Barret at least will continue to argue it was the right decision to make.

I mostly just remember the Cait Sith speech, though, and that's the one I can see essentially having the same vibe.
They didn't provide the gun either, Shinra uses their own weapons to destroy the reactor after the bomb literally fails.
People died, they think they're to blame and they still decide to go and blow up another reactor...
And yet they still have zero blood on their hands, making any remorse or guilt they feel totally unnecessary and false. Contrast to the original, where those deaths were absolutely their fault. It's night and day.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like this change at all, however so far for me basically all the new or changed stuff in remake has been a gigantic flop and fail and this is just another example of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think if this change is upsetting people a lot of people are not going to be happy with this game from the off. From just the trailers there are a lot of story beats that are being moved or outright changed; as is to be expected in a remake. I think this change is fine, AVALANCHE still were prepared for the consequences of blowing the reactor and it puts Shin-Ra early on as the pupeteer. In some ways it leans heavier in to the theme from the original game of coporation vs the people - this is a coporation that will do whatever it takes to further defame opposition and make the populace believe they NEED them and that AVALANCHE need to be eradicated. Yet still paints the lengths AVALANCHE will go to.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The AVALANCHE stuff goes deeper in the compilation lore anyway. Who knows if it'll be in the remake, but in Before Crisis it's revealed that Rufus Shinra was anonymously/secretly funding AVALANCHE for years in the hopes it'd undermine his father and trigger his ascension to President, which totally fits with the narcissistic rant we to introduce him in FF7. Again, in the remake, we have Heidigger mentioning an attempt on President Shinra's life. Was this one of the other, more professional AVALANCHE cells... and were they funded by Rufus?

As someone that never touched Before Crisis, wtf SE haha

I'll just have to make peace with the compilation stuff in the remake, i guess.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its funny to read people suggest it changes nothing. If it changes nothing then why bother changing it at all?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't provide the gun either, Shinra uses their own weapons to destroy the reactor after the bomb literally fails.

Oh I meant gun metaphorically, as in Avalanche staging the attack in the first place is the only reason the explosion happens.

I haven't touched the original in years so when i saw it I actually thought maybe i missed something or forgot about when i played the original.

Avalanches attack on the reactors was always a small cog in the story so i don't see it as a huge issue. Although it does slightly take away from the scene where jesse and biggs are dieing and confess to cloud how they deserve this because of all the people they killed.

This made me realize those deaths might be even sadder from the player's perspective. Jessie and Biggs might end up blaming themselves for something that wasn't entirely their fault, presuming the rest of the party doesn't find out till later. Hell, imagine Barret's breakdown once it comes out.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The intent was totally still there. The real bad change would be if they try to act like there's no fault or guilt to be had by them imo. If they dont do that then than I dont really think it's that big of a deal tbh
But the intent was never there. Even in the original they didn't intend the explosion to be that big, it only was cause Jessie fucked up while making the bomb.

At the end of the day this doesn;t really change anythign for the characters in the story, but it massively changes how the player sees it (in a negative way IMO).

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like it at first but it's not that big of a difference imo.
Their terrorist attacks pushed Shinra to do all those evil plans,they are both guilty.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

And yet they still have zero blood on their hands, making any remorse or guilt they feel totally unnecessary and false. Contrast to the original, where those deaths were absolutely their fault. It's night and day.

By law they're still guilty terrorist, your morally grey is still there just not the shade of grey you want.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Posting my reply from other thread.

So my take from this is that unless this is a complete retcon, Jessie only wanted the bomb to knock the reactor offline instead of it being a mini-nuke? This is somewhat alluded to in the original if you talk to Jessie when she's watching the news back at the hideout (she's like I can't believe how much damage it did).