• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game do you think it'll be?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 483 26.3%
  • Avengers

Votes: 811 44.2%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 26 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy Versus XV

Votes: 79 4.3%
  • The Quiet Man 2

Votes: 437 23.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29157

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally going to see Avengers. I imagine it will have some sort of big co-op or multiplayer hook for further monetization. Excited nonetheless.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Wait, so it is possible that The Avengers game isn't the Destiny-like rumoured one at the end of the day? And that that one would be Guardians?

Please be true. I really want a more traditional take for The Avengers.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Kind of wish the western games branch of SE would separate and become Eidos again. Purely because I'm only interested in the Japanese games from SE.
Unless SE wants to bring back Legacy of Kain. Which they will never do.

I just don't care about Avengers. So I'm hoping its something FF related.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6d8affbc6433449ffdd6595efd246619.gif

You doubters make me sick.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Kind of wish the western games branch of SE would separate and become Eidos again. Purely because I'm only interested in the Japanese games from SE.
Unless SE wants to bring back Legacy of Kain. Which they will never do.

I just don't care about Avengers. So I'm hoping its something FF related.
I second this. Legacy of Kain is their only non Japanese game IP that I care about.

Wish they could add Kain and Raziel skins to more of their games akin to Tomb Raider and the Guardian of Light (which made me buy the game). Maybe there would be some hope for FF15 if you were able to play with them.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It's been what, a little over 2 years since the avengers project was announced? i don't see it coming this year, seems more like a next gen launch window title.i think FF7R part 1 gets a release season announced this year. i'd like to see it this fall but it may be a January-March 2020 title.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They literally said the following:

"The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018"

And rumors suggest at least one of the 'other games' is an Eidos Montreal led Marvel game (though EM is also working on Avengers) - possibly Guardians of the Galaxy. Anyway, the point is, they literally said they'd give more details on Avengers Project and essentially said they'd also announce another Marvel game in 2018... then they didn't show anything or talk about the game at all. It's been radio silence. So it's pretty safe to assume plans changed.
I don't see how that contradicts with my post. I just don't share your outlook that "more details in 2018" means that the game is really anywhere near completion or that we were going to get a huge amount of info in 2018 or that we are now at the verge of huge info dump & marketing blitz of the game starting and that that would mean that (the fiscal year starting in April) 2019 is all that likely for Avengers' release. Even if the game is at this year's E3, that could mean the game is a late 2020 game. Like, Spider-Man was at E3 2016 with gameplay and was released almost 2,5 years later.

The announcement seems to have been made when the project was really, really early and the couple of times they've mentioned it they've talked about its ambitiousness, so I can't imagine it is a quick & easy project, especially not if some kind of connected universe of games is being planned that needs to be internally somewhat consistent. In this day and age, 4-5 years isn't all that crazy for something I imagine the game will be like and which isn't an already established game franchise with established gameplay conventions and without Ubisoft & Rockstar level developer numbers. I just don't see Avengers being developed in ~3 years.

And yeah, plans probably changed. I imagine the game simply isn't all that far into development and they wagered "hey, maybe we should hold off talking about Avengers until it's a bit further along."

I mean, there's nothing to suggest the project has been rushed. It might just be the rare instance of a Square Enix project coming together on schedule. Game was announced & started dev in early 2017, came together over 2018, and is ready for shelves Holiday 2019. That's an entirely believable development timeline for a AAA product.
Eh, not really, especially not for new IPs of this (presumed) scale. Avengers isn't a new IP on the comic front but with this game they essentially have to establish & come up with everything for the first time, which will require a bit more time to figure out & iterate on than, say, a team at Ubisoft jumping straight into developing the next Assassin's Creed that has a solid foundation already to build on (and still they take 3-4 years nowadays with the newest releases, even with a supermassive team of over a thousand developers). 4-5 years of development (even when things go relatively smoothly) would be fairly typical if the ambitiousness of the project they talk about is true.

Last edited:

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
The specific chart is from last year, but the target for FY2020/3 is still the same in the most recent financial report from Feb 5 that this whole OP is based on if you had read it. They answered questions about that target specifically too in the Q&A. Check the other thread about the whole report that I linked in the first sentence of the OP.
It's not a financial forecast. No one forecast with a 33% margin of error. It's a very broad range that SE has set as their goals for the company going forward. This is a structural change for the company that is intended to continue well beyond the next fiscal year. Trying to tie the increase to one or two games later this year completely misses the point of what SE's exec have been saying for 3 years now.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a financial forecast. No one forecast with a 33% margin of error. It's a very broad range that SE has set as their goals for the company going forward. This is a structural change for the company that is intended to continue well beyond the next fiscal year. Trying to tie the increase to one or two games later this year completely misses the point of what SE's exec have been saying for 3 years now.
What are you arguing here? Whether to call it "financial forecast" or "broad range of goal" when everybody called it just "target" as in SE's reports?

Fact is, SE has been reiterating that they're trying to target an operating income of ¥40‐50 billion in the next fiscal year (with a possibility to deviate). What else besides the lineup of game releases would you tie such a target to? They do it themselves in the report:
Q: How likely are you to reach your operating income target of ¥40‐50 billion with the lineup you have planned for FY2020/3?
A: We believe operating income of ¥40‐50 billion will be attainable in FY2020/3 with the lineup we currently have planned, but we still see risk of deviating from our target depending on when we release new titles and on how our development efforts progress.

Regardless of other things like structural changes and consolidating their business divisions etc., obviously it's still big game releases that would make up the bulk of such a target. If they didn't think they could achieve that they wouldn't reiterate it in the report and instead revise their medium-term target, wouldn't they?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
FF15 will be revealed as a Nobody of the true game.

SE will announce then FF 15 Verum Rex - Nomura Edition as the official 15 numbered game, with its heart back in place.
If XV is the nobody version, than Verum Rex is the heartless version. Once both are released... We will finally get the original Versus XIII rebranded as Versus XV.

It all makes sense.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am so excited to steel the Tiny Bronco in Rocket Town. And the Gold Saucer. Also the Junon Cannon.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I am so excited to steel the Tiny Bronco in Rocket Town. And the Gold Saucer. Also the Junon Cannon.
I hope they double down on all the fun that Gold Saucer is. Bring all of those weird minigames on.

And now that you mention Junon, with Midgar being so debated over and with Junon being relatively far away in the game, I haven't really thought of that city and damn I really want to see it now.

Junon is one of my favourite cities in the series. The whole portion when you get there is one of my favourite parts of VII.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
What are you arguing here? Whether to call it "financial forecast" or "broad range of goal" when everybody called it just "target" as in SE's reports?

Fact is, SE has been reiterating that they're trying to target an operating income of ¥40‐50 billion in the next fiscal year (with a possibility to deviate). What else besides the lineup of game releases would you tie such a target to? They do it themselves in the report:

Regardless of other things like structural changes and consolidating their business divisions etc., obviously it's still big game releases that would make up the bulk of such a target. If they didn't think they could achieve that they wouldn't reiterate it in the report and instead revise their medium-term target, wouldn't they?
The target isn't just for this fiscal year. It's a continous target. In this thread people are speculating that SE must be releasing ALL of the big games in order to hit such high goals. But that doesn't explain how they plan to hit that goal the next year... or the year after that, etc.. The bulk of those profits are going to come from the plan they've had laid out for 3 years. There is no need to assume they're going to release anything bigger than what they usually do in any other year.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I don't see how that contradicts with my post. I just don't share your outlook that "more details in 2018" means that the game is really anywhere near completion or that we were going to get a huge amount of info in 2018 or that we are now at the verge of huge info dump & marketing blitz of the game starting and that that would mean that (the fiscal year starting in April) 2019 is all that likely for Avengers' release. Even if the game is at this year's E3, that could mean the game is a late 2020 game. Like, Spider-Man was at E3 2016 with gameplay and was released almost 2,5 years later.

The announcement seems to have been made when the project was really, really early and the couple of times they've mentioned it they've talked about its ambitiousness, so I can't imagine it is a quick & easy project, especially not if some kind of connected universe of games is being planned that needs to be internally somewhat consistent. In this day and age, 4-5 years isn't all that crazy for something I imagine the game will be like and which isn't an already established game franchise with established gameplay conventions and without Ubisoft & Rockstar level developer numbers. I just don't see Avengers being developed in ~3 years.

And yeah, plans probably changed. I imagine the game simply isn't all that far into development and they wagered "hey, maybe we should hold off talking about Avengers until it's a bit further along."

I mean, what I'm getting at is if the original plan was to show it in 2018, it's unlikely they were going to show it when it was years and years away from release. The Eidos games are ultimately controlled by the Western arm of Square Enix, usually out of London, and though obviously Japan has a say, the Western side has been pushing towards tighter and tighter reveal-to-release loops over time, whereas Japan has talked a lot about doing that but has had little success with it.

My point is if you historically look at games from Crystal and Eidos over this generation, they've followed something of a pattern: they announce things early with a teaser/basic press release to help quell speculation and assist with recruitment, then silence until a reveal and release with a shorter turn-around. They did this with the last few Tomb Raider games. Mankind Divided was pre-announced in 2013 via press release, then revealed in April 2015, and around 18 months later released. It feels like Avengers is probably going to follow a similar pattern - or a shorter one. Thus my hypothesis; when the game resurfaces it'll be in a state where they will have an absolute, definite release date locked down and it'll be less than 18 months away.

When I see this spike on the revenue charts, my gut instinct is to say that instead of revealing Avengers in more depth in 2018, they decided to hold fire and have an even tighter loop from announcement to release.

Obviously Avengers was announced the same year that FF7 switched direction, so they've had roughly the same time in that sense, but while I do think it was early days when they spoke about it in 2017, I think Avengers has probably had longer in the oven than it might appear. Crystal has been on it since they wrapped Rise of the Tomb Raider - so since the end of 2015. Crystal was even considered too busy to handle the PC or PS4 versions of ROTTR - that was handled by Nixxes, and then of course Shadow was developed by a new team within Eidos in Canada. Anyway, point is - unless there was a mysterious cancelled project in the middle, Avengers has been in development since the end of 2015, which means by the end of this year it'd be a four-year project - and one with two studios working on it, as when Deus Ex was done a good chunk of Eidos Montreal seemingly went to work on it too. This has essentially been a two-team game in a sense - and that lines up with comments from Matsuda to places like GamesIndustry.biz suggesting it is a notably huge scale project for them.

Anyway, all this is to say: gut instinct says this is more likely to be Avengers than FF7, as I think Avengers has a better chance of being further along what with FF7 shifting and changing after being bought back in-house. Could easily be wrong, though - it's just looking at the situation.

FWIW, I think also Avengers did at least change direction a bit in 2018 - CD went on something of a hiring spree looking for people to help with single-player content, like a single player mode producer and stuff - whereas the hires they were doing post ROTTR were more focused around multiplayer, co-op, shared world etc. But that's not dissimilar to what we saw with something like Battlefront, where EA hired up and used Motive to put a solo-focused campaign together later on in development. I still think the game is far enough a long to be a comfortable Q4 financial 2019/20 game, though.

I'm excited for both though, and I'm sure we'll get loads of FF7 info this year... and I would be pumped if it was that.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they double down on all the fun that Gold Saucer is. Bring all of those weird minigames on.

And now that you mention Junon, with Midgar being so debated over and with Junon being relatively far away in the game, I haven't really thought of that city and damn I really want to see it now.

Junon is one of my favourite cities in the series. The whole portion when you get there is one of my favourite parts of VII.

Then when you go back later and find out that they MOVED THE FUCKIN CANNON TO MIDGAR

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, what I'm getting at is if the original plan was to show it in 2018, it's unlikely they were going to show it when it was years and years away from release. The Eidos games are ultimately controlled by the Western arm of Square Enix, usually out of London, and though obviously Japan has a say, the Western side has been pushing towards tighter and tighter reveal-to-release loops over time, whereas Japan has talked a lot about doing that but has had little success with it.

My point is if you historically look at games from Crystal and Eidos over this generation, they've followed something of a pattern: they announce things early with a teaser/basic press release to help quell speculation and assist with recruitment, then silence until a reveal and release with a shorter turn-around. They did this with the last few Tomb Raider games. Mankind Divided was pre-announced in 2013 via press release, then revealed in April 2015, and around 18 months later released. It feels like Avengers is probably going to follow a similar pattern - or a shorter one. Thus my hypothesis; when the game resurfaces it'll be in a state where they will have an absolute, definite release date locked down and it'll be less than 18 months away.

When I see this spike on the revenue charts, my gut instinct is to say that instead of revealing Avengers in more depth in 2018, they decided to hold fire and have an even tighter loop from announcement to release.

Obviously Avengers was announced the same year that FF7 switched direction, so they've had roughly the same time in that sense, but while I do think it was early days when they spoke about it in 2017, I think Avengers has probably had longer in the oven than it might appear. Crystal has been on it since they wrapped Rise of the Tomb Raider - so since the end of 2015. Crystal was even considered too busy to handle the PC or PS4 versions of ROTTR - that was handled by Nixxes, and then of course Shadow was developed by a new team within Eidos in Canada. Anyway, point is - unless there was a mysterious cancelled project in the middle, Avengers has been in development since the end of 2015, which means by the end of this year it'd be a four-year project - and one with two studios working on it, as when Deus Ex was done a good chunk of Eidos Montreal seemingly went to work on it too. This has essentially been a two-team game in a sense - and that lines up with comments from Matsuda to places like GamesIndustry.biz suggesting it is a notably huge scale project for them.

Anyway, all this is to say: gut instinct says this is more likely to be Avengers than FF7, as I think Avengers has a better chance of being further along what with FF7 shifting and changing after being bought back in-house. Could easily be wrong, though - it's just looking at the situation.

FWIW, I think also Avengers did at least change direction a bit in 2018 - CD went on something of a hiring spree looking for people to help with single-player content, like a single player mode producer and stuff - whereas the hires they were doing post ROTTR were more focused around multiplayer, co-op, shared world etc. But that's not dissimilar to what we saw with something like Battlefront, where EA hired up and used Motive to put a solo-focused campaign together later on in development. I still think the game is far enough a long to be a comfortable Q4 financial 2019/20 game, though.

I'm excited for both though, and I'm sure we'll get loads of FF7 info this year... and I would be pumped if it was that.

Crystal Dynamics is currently hiring for like 8 lead positions and one of them is working with Microsoft and Sony on next gen platforms.

It could be that Square just hasn't bothered updating their financial forecasts until they're 100% certain Avengers will be moved from their original stupid date of late 2019 since that's only 99.9% certain right now.

Avengers will come out 2021 or 2022...

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I hope Square-Enix goes the Bethesda route and does a full-announcement of FFVII remake with a launch date of a few months later. However, I have this feeling that the FFVII remake might be a next-gen launch title or at least cross-gen.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way in goddamn hell that FF7 Remake releases this year. That's slated for 2333.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Square-Enix goes the Bethesda route and does a full-announcement of FFVII remake with a launch date of a few months later. However, I have this feeling that the FFVII remake might be a next-gen launch title or at least cross-gen.
It will eventually become cross-gen because PS4 won't be around forever and the next part or two will take some years to be developed (I'm hoping for a 2019/2020 Part 1 -> 2021/2022 Part 2 -> 2023/2024 Part 3 schedule, if it's a trilogy of games), which will stretch the whole project to next gen territory for sure. What's questionable is whether they'll finish it on PS4 gen consoles or if Part 2 and/or Part 3 will be exclusively for next gen consoles.

I guess if they moved really quickly from ROTTR to Avengers, it could be this year, but I don't think it's impossible they were in the process of trying to figure their next project into, like, mid or Fall 2016 before they were presented with the opportunity to work on Avengers and whatever else they might've been cooking was abandoned once they finalized a deal with Marvel. I mean, SQEX has canceled games much further into development to pursue projects execs think would be more profitable, so it wouldn't be totally impossible that CD was doing something else for ~6-12 months before the Avengers project came along.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't think Avengers can cause a huge spike, and knowing that they're expecting the next FY to be bigger than the one when FFXV was released. Methinks it's both FFVIIR and Avengers that will be released this year.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I see FF7 coming is if they do FF7 ground zeroes
30$ to play up until you reach the flower girl's church and walk around Midgar? I can see it, and I can see a lot of people buying it.

What's questionable is whether they'll finish it on PS4 gen consoles or if Part 2 and/or Part 3 will be exclusively for next gen consoles.
What's questionable is if Part 1 will release on PS4- there is literally no chance whatsoever Part 3 graces PS4. None at all.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
30$ to play up until you reach the flower girl's church and walk around Midgar? I can see it, and I can see a lot of people buying it.

What's questionable is if Part 1 will release on PS4- there is literally no chance whatsoever Part 3 graces PS4. None at all.
They won't completely abandon a userbase that will be probably at or even over 100 million by the time the game releases (even more if they've changed plans and are preparing an Xbox release) for a userbase that doesn't even exist yet. Who even knows when next-gen consoles arrive yet (have there even been news of early dev kits being sent to developers?). Still plenty of time to get FFVII Part 1 done and released on PS4 before the new generation is maybe even here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They won't completely abandon a userbase that will be probably at or even over 100 million by the time the game releases (even more if they've changed plans and are preparing an Xbox release) for a userbase that doesn't even exist yet. Who even knows when next-gen consoles arrive yet (have there even been news of early dev kits being sent to developers?). Still plenty of time to get FFVII Part 1 done and released on PS4 before the new generation is maybe even here.

New Gen will probably begin in 2020 so they have like a year or 2. I'm quite sure they will go the release for PS4 release, next gen remaster route. Followed by part 2 cross gen.

Who knows how many games will there be at this point.

Jul 13, 2018
I'm going with the Avengers Project as well. I'd wager we'll see a release sometime in early 2020 (Jan/Feb) for the latter. The project's been in development since September/October of 2015 and prior to the release of SotTR, had 50 Eidos Montreal devs assisting Crystal Dynamics (I'm certain the # has increased since).

Also, Avengers Project is not Square's answer to Destiny. It's not going to be a shared world looter shooter where players blast through a 6-8 hour campaign in order to get to that "endgame" grind. A heavy story focus has been key since day one and last I've heard (July/August 2018), the project was in a very good place. I don't know too much about the multiplayer component of the game besides the co-op mechanic, but most of the post-launch support will be story focused as well. Think episodic content/expansions (like Spider-Man).

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with the Avengers Project as well. I'd wager we'll see a release sometime in early 2020 (Jan/Feb) for the latter. The project's been in development since September/October of 2015 and prior to the release of SotTR, had 50 Eidos Montreal devs assisting Crystal Dynamics (I'm certain the # has increased since).

Also, Avengers Project is not Square's answer to Destiny. It's not going to be a shared world looter shooter where players blast through a 6-8 hour campaign in order to get to that "endgame" grind. A heavy story focus has been key since day one and last I've heard (July/August 2018), the project was in a very good place. I don't know too much about the multiplayer component of the game besides the co-op mechanic, but most of the post-launch support will be story focused as well. Think episodic content/expansions (like Spider-Man).

Well If Avengers was in development from 2015 we have our answer.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Eh, he is asked what titles upcoming and he literally goes "From our Japan studio we have Final Fantasy VII Remake and from Crystal Dynamics in the US we have The Avengers Project, and so on." It's not indicating anything from the phrasing.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Eh, he is asked what titles upcoming and he literally goes "From our Japan studio we have Final Fantasy VII Remake and from Crystal Dynamics in the US we have The Avengers Project, and so on." It's not indicating anything from the phrasing.

lets just ignore the financial report huh lol

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think Duckroll is saying this doesn't indicate which one is coming out first. Not that one isn't possibly releasing at the end of the year

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017

With Junon being such a big part of the game; especially storywise later on, I reckon this may be the second most considered (substance, size, density etc) environment in the remake trilogy