• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What game do you think it'll be?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 483 26.3%
  • Avengers

Votes: 811 44.2%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 26 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy Versus XV

Votes: 79 4.3%
  • The Quiet Man 2

Votes: 437 23.8%

• Total voters

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
final fantasy 7R episode one Q1 2020 alongisde the playstation 5 launch. that would be really good.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Mankind Divided had a huge marketing campaign and should have released sooner then it did.

My theory is if SE announce the game using the same engine and assets and release in September they could make it work

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
You think the next Deus Ex, of all games, is going to be more popular and financially successful than Kingdom Hearts 3.

Bruh.

EDIT: Genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Of course not but I don't think either FF 7 or Avengers are releasing anytime soon

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think both are years away.

I'm thinking it's Deus Ex. I know SE have said the IP is on ice but I think they changed thier mind and will release a new game within the next 18 month.
Both Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were 4-5 year projects. Considering it didn't seem like they were moving on to a third Deus Ex game immediately, even if SQEX had changed their mind in the past couple of years, 2021-2022 would probably be the earliest we could see another Deus Ex game. Late 2020 at earliest if they had begun right after Mankind Divided, but it doesn't seem like they did.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Mankind Divided had a huge marketing campaign and should have released sooner then it did.

My theory is if SE announce the game using the same engine and assets and release in September they could make it work
Such asset-rehashes rarely manage to sell gangbusters, especially in cases where the original wasn't the most popular game of them all.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are unironically guessing FFVII remake or Avengers. How have you guys not learn that Square Enix do actually consider mobile games as potential major releases? Since I don't think they've mentioned this is a console game release, it's more than likely a mobile title, could be that Last Idea game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be the Avengers game based on the following assumptions:

1. SE stated that moving forward, they will be drastically reducing time between announcements and releases.
2. Final Avengers film being released soon - jumping on the hype train will pretty much guarantee great sales.
3. Disney may have embargoed any press because it might have elements from the film or at least some cross over.
4. FFVII Remake Part 1 should in theory be a launch PS5 game and/or cross gen and Sony will most likely throw even more money at SE for timed exclusivity to help smooth the launch of the PS5.
5. Please be excited
Marvel doesn't really give much thought for movie cash-in game releases. Sony's Spider-Man game wasn't tied to any movie releases. Being a great Avengers game (+ big marketing campaign) will be what guarantees great sales. At this point Marvel can do whatever they want whenever they want and so long as the end product is at least decent, people will show up en masse.

Also, again, for the millionth time in this thread: Avengers has only been in development for 2 years so far. Assuming it's a production that rivals the likes of Spider-Man 2018, 2021 is likely the earliest that we're gonna see it. End of 2020 MAYBE if SQEX has been throwing all the money at the game behind the scenes and put every Eidos-studio working on it and everything goes super smoothly (which it almost never does with these big budget games).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are unironically guessing FFVII remake or Avengers. How have you guys not learn that Square Enix do actually consider mobile games as potential major releases? Since I don't think they've mentioned this is a console game release, it's more than likely a mobile title, could be that Last Idea game.
Mobile games aren't the kind of games you will estimate will make you ALL THE MONEY in advance of their release/in such a short time vs. big console retail games that can make insane amounts of money within a month or two. You'll release something and hope it doesn't get buried amidst the billion other gacha shit games that infest mobile gaming and that it'll find its audience of whales that'll bring in the big bucks in the long term, but you don't make huge profit-wagers on those kinds of things. SQEX has several mobile games going on currently and none of them have caused them to estimate making that much money. They understand the mobile market is volatile. They'll continue making mobile games because they can bring in a decent amount of money even if they don't become super huge, but I doubt they expect anything to blow up THAT big in advance.

What HAS caused those kinds of peaks are big games like FFXV and SQEX definitely wants FFVII Remake to be even bigger.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

It does not make sense to expect a new IP mobile title to provide such growth, mobile market is fickle and unpredictable. SE is projecting that they will earn more than this FY when they have sold over 4M copies of TR and over 5M of KHIII while having other games in the mix and right now there is no game scheduled to release next FY that would come close to those two. Obviously this would point to one of the two or both already announced big projects to come out next fiscal year.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Have you actually read the topic or just the title?

They are expecting huge increase in revenue at the end of the year greater then any other fiscal year.

This isn't a mobile game whatever it is. It can only really be FFVII or Avengers.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
why the hell want a avengers game from square? i know they were working on one, but why that would be good?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's start with what I quoted before you go on about something else.

Screenshot_20190220-1245122.png

First, you may have seen FY3/2020 (like the threads I make) or FY2020/3 used in financial reports, they both mean the same thing: Fiscal Year ending March 2020. The difference in order is because of the date system:
DD/MM/YYYY (Most of the world)
MM/DD/YYYY (U.S.)
YYYY/MM/DD (Japan)

Second, look at the chart. For FY3/2018, Square Enix earned Net Sales of: 250,394 million JPY (or ¥250 billion to be specific to the chart) and, Operating Profit of: 38,176 million JPY (or ¥38 billion). That is for the whole fiscal year, they did not earn that much in the third quarter alone, you can go and check it: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q4earnings.pdf

Probably because not every company has their fiscal year ending in March... Nvidia has their fiscal year ending in January and if you want a Japanese company: CyberAgent's fiscal year ends in September.

Fiscal years don't always match calendar years so putting in the month where it ends helps to explain its 12 month duration.

Read above.
Okay not trying to sound rude, genuine question, but how does that explain that this report is for FY2019/3 but doesn't cover Jan March of this year?

Ah well, all it means is we're talking about up to March for the big game. Instead of up to December.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Something to remember is that when SE announced Avengers in 2017, they said they'd talk about it "next year" - so at this point we're well overdue a big info drop for that game. The question is - is that because they decided to wait to show it until it was very close to release, in which case a release this year is likely, or is that because it hit trouble?

Nov 23, 2017
I've been banging the Fall 2019/Winter 2020 drum for Final Fantasy VII Remake for a couple years now. I'm sticking with that. #rideordie

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Something to remember is that when SE announced Avengers in 2017, they said they'd talk about it "next year" - so at this point we're well overdue a big info drop for that game. The question is - is that because they decided to wait to show it until it was very close to release, in which case a release this year is likely, or is that because it hit trouble?
Likely the former. I really think SQEX is taking a safe approach to this game to avoid major performance / development issues

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, "we'll talk about it" doesn't mean it was going to be some huge expose of the game or that the game was supposed to anywhere near complete in 2018 or some kind of (soft) start of a 1,5 year marketing plan.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
No idea at all. I doubt it will be FFVII Re, so probably Avengers? But its strange that anything was ever showed by them and now they suddendly release it by the end of the year expecting it to sell a lot...?
EDIT:
Why not Bravely Default 3 for Switch? is it even possible?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
No idea at all. I doubt it will be FFVII Re, so probably Avengers? But its strange that anything was ever showed by them and now they suddendly release it by the end of the year expecting it to sell a lot...?
EDIT:
Why not Bravely Default 3 for Switch? is it even possible?
I mean, Final Fantasy VII is Final Fantasy VII. It's still one of the most beloved games in the franchise & gaming altogether. Add a fresh coat of current-gen level paint on it + the more actiony combat & more modern design sensibilities being a bit more easily marketable to the masses and you've easily got a game that could eventually sell 10+ million copies.

Bravely Default 3 ain't gonna cause those kinds of expectations.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Final Fantasy VII is Final Fantasy VII. It's still one of the most beloved games in the franchise & gaming altogether. Add a fresh coat of current-gen level paint on it + the more actiony combat & more modern design sensibilities being a bit more easily marketable to the masses and you've easily got a game that could eventually sell 10+ million copies.

Bravely Default 3 ain't gonna cause those kinds of expectations.
I didnt mean that I expect no big sales for FFVII, I just dont expect it to release so soon.. :P

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Because Crystal Dynamics has done some pretty swell games throughout the years.

You realise games like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider and published by SE yeah?
They make more then JRPGs

Beside TR i don't see any other game CD did (excluding Legacy of Kain that it's almost in another life), and maybe it's personal taste, but i don't see the appeal to a Avangers game being good just because Crystal Dynamics dev it. That's what i am struggling to find out ... it's just expectations based on TR games or there are any info that i missed beside that?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt mean that I expect no big sales for FFVII, I just dont expect it to release so soon.. :P
It's been in production for nearly 5 years by now and in late 2019/early 2020 that will be nearly 6 years. Even with the setbacks it has seen, it's not impossible that it would be nearing release as this year advances.

At least FFVII Remake is far more likely than Avengers, that has been in development for not much more than 2 years at this point.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, SE is so sure of a new random mobile game resulting in income higher than even their best fiscal year ever, where huge hits like FFXV and Automata, and also Stormblood, DE:MD etc. released, that they've been proclaiming it for the whole last year in their financial reports. What other big releases besides that magical mobile game do they have April 2019-March 2020 that would help even remotely reach those FY2017 numbers plus even more? They have nothing known that big in the pipeline besides FFVIIR or Avengers. Or will LAST IDEA pull off those numbers alone? 🤔

Besides, they just stated since last year that their mobile games have been underperforming and they weren't able to establish new mobile hits because the market is getting oversaturated and extremely competetive, so mobile isn't the sure bet either.
Net sales in our Games for Smart Devices/PC Browsers sub-segment came in slightly under the ¥100 billion mark, and the titles we released in the latter half of the fiscal year ended March 2018 delivered lackluster performances on the whole. As such, we saw the year as one that left us many issues to tackle. While maintaining and bolstering the percentage of our titles that prove successful is always a key challenge, we regret that many of the new titles released in the last fiscal year delivered very disappointing results. Common wisdom has it that Japan's gaming market has matured, making it difficult to generate new hits. Meanwhile, we view the new trend of Chinese and Korean developers and publishers creating hit titles to be one worthy of note.

Source.

But you're right, expecting FFVIIR or Avengers is delusional
4ikl90r.png

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Beside TR i don't see any other game CD did (excluding Legacy of Kain that it's almost in another life), and maybe it's personal taste, but i don't see the appeal to a Avangers game being good just because Crystal Dynamics dev it. That's what i am struggling to find out ... it's just expectations based on TR games or there are any info that i missed beside that?

It's the potential behind the brand. Avengers are huge and there is a enormous financial potential behind a Avengers game just look at Spider-Man on PS4.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been in production for nearly 5 years by now and in late 2019/early 2020 that will be nearly 6 years. Even with the setbacks it has seen, it's not impossible that it would be nearing release as this year advances.

At least FFVII Remake is far more likely than Avengers, that has been in development for not much more than 2 years at this point.
No you don't understand, they scrapped everything and had to start all over again (even though that makes literally no sense, as planning alone is as big a part of game development as active development, and only the Stuff CC2 had built would need to be binned). Clearly FFVIIR needs another three years.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's going to be a big budget, ambitious Avengers game from a developer with a pretty decent pedigree of games. Of course I'm not hyped out of my mind at this point since hardly anything is known of the game, let alone shown, but, like, if it turns out to be a good or great Avengers game, that's would be pretty awesome. I'm just not seeing reason to be cynical & so pessimistic about it. Crystal Dynamics is great, Eidos Montreal is great (they are helping with Avengers, AFAIK), SQEX has their moments.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
How likely do you think FFVIIR is for late 2019/early 2020?

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, it's going to be a big budget, ambitious Avengers game from a developer with a pretty decent pedigree of games. Of course I'm not hyped out of my mind at this point since hardly anything is known of the game, let alone shown, but, like, if it turns out to be a good or great Avengers game, that's would be pretty awesome. I'm just not seeing reason to be cynical & so pessimistic about it. Crystal Dynamics is great, Eidos Montreal is great (they are helping with Avengers, AFAIK), SQEX has their moments.

The major reason for me to be cautious (not pessimist haha) with this title is because, historically, most of the superhero games are bad, the only one tha stood out this bucket that comes to my mind is Spiderman, and yet it's the same formula from the older games, just well made. But i mean, you're right, the studio it's pretty good, maybe we are looking at a new "Arkham" game here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The major reason for me to be cautious (not pessimist haha) with this title is because, historically, most of the superhero games are bad, the only one tha stood out this bucket that comes to my mind is Spiderman, and yet it's the same formula from the older games, just well made. But i mean, you're right, the studio it's pretty good, maybe we are looking at a new "Arkham" game here.
Most superhero games haven't been developed by developers of Crystan Dynamics' caliber and/or they have often been rushed, low-budget (movie tie-in) productions (shovelware, to be frank) even if they are because publishers knew that the IP would sell and at the time game development wasn't so prohibitively expensive. Not the most healthy basis for the creation of quality games. But give a developer like Crystal Dynamics 4+ years and I'm sure they can make something that is good.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Okay not trying to sound rude, genuine question, but how does that explain that this report is for FY2019/3 but doesn't cover Jan March of this year?

Ah well, all it means is we're talking about up to March for the big game. Instead of up to December.

Let's make this clear:

Koozek made a thread on the Q&A from the third quarter of FY3/2019 for Square Enix.

Square Enix says they'll announce new games but not until E3, that means by June it will be during the FY3/2020 period.

Read this quote from Koozek:
Screenshot_20190220-1245122.png

He thought that FY2020/3 meant (Oct-Dec 2019), that is all I was correcting him which I posted here.

Whatever you are talking about has nothing to do with anything I said.

This thread is from a Q&A for the third quarter of FY3/2019 for Square Enix.

That chart comes from last year in Square Enix's slides.

Whatever you are talking about is the result of you not understanding anything I said:
No it doesnt. This is the FY2019/3 report. If it covered up to March why would they release it in February?

It could potentially mean YTD? That I'm not sure on. But if it was that would change nothing about the premise of this thread.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
If it were FF7R, we would have seen trailers and gameplay in 2018 (arguably 2017).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I see FF7 coming is if they do FF7 ground zeroes

Interesting point. I wonder how much content a "FF7 Ground Zeroes Edition" would include. The whole Midgar part (and calling it "Final Fantasy VII: Episode Midgar" or something) sure would be something.

While I wish for something FF7 related, I wouldn't be surprised if all of this is about the Avengers project, which I unfortunately have no interest in.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If it were FF7R, we would have seen trailers and gameplay in 2018 (arguably 2017).
They've already said that FFVIIR marketing took a backseat because SQEX was focusing on hyping up another Nomura game, Kingdom Hearts III. And besides, they generally don't show games all that much until about a year or so before release. Now that KHIII is out, FFVII Remake should reappear sometime in the coming months, assuming they haven't been lying about the status of the game's development.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Both Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were 4-5 year projects. Considering it didn't seem like they were moving on to a third Deus Ex game immediately, even if SQEX had changed their mind in the past couple of years, 2021-2022 would probably be the earliest we could see another Deus Ex game. Late 2020 at earliest if they had begun right after Mankind Divided, but it doesn't seem like they did.

I said in an another thread that I think Deus Ex 3 is a launch title for the next gen as well as being cross gen.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Not if SE is trying to really be consistent from now on with (re-)revealing their big games <6 months before release now as they did with pretty much all their games last year e.g. SotTR, JC4, LiS2, TQM etc. I know those are their Western games, but still, it sounds like it's a general company policy now and they mentioned it in the briefing too, so maybe they're gonna do that with SE Japan's games too.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Well, "we'll talk about it" doesn't mean it was going to be some huge expose of the game or that the game was supposed to anywhere near complete in 2018 or some kind of (soft) start of a 1,5 year marketing plan.

They literally said the following:

"The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018"

And rumors suggest at least one of the 'other games' is an Eidos Montreal led Marvel game (though EM is also working on Avengers) - possibly Guardians of the Galaxy. Anyway, the point is, they literally said they'd give more details on Avengers Project and essentially said they'd also announce another Marvel game in 2018... then they didn't show anything or talk about the game at all. It's been radio silence. So it's pretty safe to assume plans changed.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They shouldn't be trying to match the Endgame or any other MCU release, and instead just release a solid and quality product when it's ready.
Pretty sure Marvel Games is not interested in that. Did the Producer of the Game division not go on record to say this time they're focusing on quality?
I mean, there's nothing to suggest the project has been rushed. It might just be the rare instance of a Square Enix project coming together on schedule. Game was announced & started dev in early 2017, came together over 2018, and is ready for shelves Holiday 2019. That's an entirely believable development timeline for a AAA product.