• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I know things slip all the time, but it feels a little silly that they can't even get info out on target despite literally two years of time to do so, lol.

This was from a press release from January 2017.

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/26/14398020/marvel-square-enix-the-avengers-game

I mean.... Come on, guys, lol.

It feels like a joke that Square posted massive earnings expectations for April 2019 to March 2020 almost surely based on this game when they are missing the easiest of dates with the lowest level of commitments to hit. I see, uhh, very little chance this game comes out prior to April 2020 (and would expect much later than that tbh).

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix seems like it's a bit of a wreck right now.

.... was quiet man and dragon quest all they shipped this year?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a sign that the game is well behind schedule. But hey, making your very own Destiny game is pretty damn hard, let alone making your very own Destiny game with licensed characters belonging to another company (can't even imagine how much time they have to spend waiting around for approval).

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's weird but plans change, as you say. I even think they planned to talk about VIIR at e3 but decided to focus on KH3 instead. It would explain the Walmart leak of FF7R on Xbox, and the weird ass conference they did.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I prefer an announcement near to launch. I don't want to know a game years before its launch (like Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3). If the game will release in 2020, they can wait until 2019 (even late 2019) before announcing it.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably a sign that the game is well behind schedule. But hey, making your very own Destiny game is pretty damn hard, let alone making your very own Destiny game with licensed characters belonging to another company (can't even imagine how much time they have to spend waiting around for approval).

I'm sure it's really hard for the developers and it's going to take a LOT of time (Anthem has taken 7 years for example...), their earnings projection just looks like a joke right now assuming it's based on Avengers releasing prior to April 2020.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Remember, just because square enix listed 2-3 titles and gave 2-3 window years through 2021 or whatever.. It does not correlate with one title getting info or reveal or release each consecutive year.. Meaning, there could be a showcase in 2020 for both VIIremake and Avengers.

It does not have to be a scenario where you get one year per title reveal. in order from 2018 to 2021. Both could be revealed in the same year or spread apart.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Remember, just because square enix listed 2-3 titles and gave 2-3 window years through 2021 or whatever.. It does not correlate with one title getting info or reveal or release each consecutive year.. Meaning, there could be a showcase in 2020 for both VIIremake and Avengers.

It does not have to be a scenario where you get one year per title reveal. in order from 2018 to 2021. Both could be revealed in the same year or spread apart.

Well, I mean, they said they would talk about The Avengers game in 2018.

And they did not.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
7c6.gif

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I prefer an announcement near to launch. I don't want to know a game years before its launch (like Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3). If the game will release in 2020, they can wait until 2019 (even late 2019) before announcing it.
That doesn't work in this case since they announced the game with a teaser in Jan 2017.

And I'm sorry but even a brief update like sorry we will have more information for you in 2019 would have been better than nearly two years of radio silence

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'm disappointed too, but plans change. Hardly uncommon for big AAA games to encounter development difficulties, especially in the ever-growing GAAS sphere.

It would be nice if they'd at least say something about their failure to reveal the game this year and when it might resurface, but not like they're under any obligation to do so.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
This is why publishers and devs wait until closer to a game's expected launch to reveal things.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a joke that Square posted massive earnings expectations for April 2019 to March 2020 almost surely based on this game when they are missing the easiest of dates with the lowest level of commitments to hit. I see, uhh, very little chance this game comes out prior to April 2020 (and would expect much later than that tbh).
Obviously their earnings boost is going to come from Final Fantasy VII Remake, releasing this September.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Capgod should buy Square and manage their projects for them.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Square Enix the company that never waits, always announcing games way too early instead of staying silent.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix seems like it's a bit of a wreck right now.

.... was quiet man and dragon quest all they shipped this year?
Dissidia, Octopath Traveller, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4 and Life is Strange 2?

Though the Japanese and western sides of the company are run by different management, so those kind of all encompassing hot takes are really ridiculous.

Anyway, didn't Nirolak theorise that based on CD's hirings, they started working on a single player campaign relatively recently? I'd guess that's probably the issue.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah my mistake, i forgot they mentioned that exactly.

Perhaps they planned it for a different trade show that did not work out. Maybe they hold a huge e3 conference in 2019 that is actually more meaningful compared to the 2018 one.
It's literally in the OP lol

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that SE has been able to survive so long with their insane mismanagement.

Chalk it up to having really famous IPs I suppose. They're lucky that XIV is so well run as well, because it seems to be the most reliable revenue stream they have.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that SE has been able to survive so long with their insane mismanagement.

Chalk it up to having really famous IPs I suppose. They're lucky that XIV is so well run as well, because it seems to be the most reliable revenue stream they have.
They had their best fiscal year ever last year after FFXV. This year for the first time their mobile segment made as much money as their console games + MMOs, so no, FFXIV isn't their only reliable stream. Next year they're expecting a huge income spike between April 2019 and April 2020. I assume it's due to either FFVIIR and/or Avengers releasing in that period.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
We are here today to announce that the annoucement of the announcement has been delayed to 2019. Please be excited

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They had their best fiscal year ever last year after FFXV. This year for the first time their mobile segment made as much money as their console games + MMOs, so no, FFXIV isn't their only reliable stream. Next year they're expecting a huge income spike between April 2019 and April 2020. I assume it's due to either FFVIIR and/or Avengers releasing in that period.

Nah, it's that Left Alive is going to sell so damn much it will send ripples right across next year and into 2020. It's going to be massive. Avengers and/or FFVIIR Part 1 are going to get pushed back because of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm too surprised overall that it hasn't shown up. It really felt like when they showed off that 'teaser' and made that press release they had pretty much just been given the green light. I do expect to see something soon (between now and E3) about what exactly the game is. If it is a Destiny-style game as rumoured, I can see why they'd hold off until everything is definitely on the right track, a game like that needs a strong first showing with actual gameplay.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
At the same time people bitch about they haven't revealed anything in years.
True. It's a fickle ball of wax either way. You don't say anything, people bitch. You announce a game and it doesn't come out for a few years, people bitch. You announce a game and it comes out six months later, people usually find something to bitch about still.

You'll never be able to make everyone happy. Oh well. While I'm excited for the game, I'm not dying to have it right now. I'm cool with waiting. My backlog is getting long in the tooth anyways. Haha

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't even been two years in production. Considering the rumors about its nature, <2 years is very early in such projects development, even if it doesn't run into any significant development issues or setbacks (which projects of this scale very often do suffer from to some extent or the other). As such, not hearing much about it at this point isn't anything noteworthy.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is this game going to even come out on time to ride the Endgame hype? Why do these games companies never do the obvious thing. It's either that or their Marvel contracts are stupidly constricted

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon we're likely to see Insomniac Spider-Man 2 around the same time CD's Avengers releases. Probably 2021 for both.