• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge_Maverick

Oct 25, 2017
Gate-of-Nightmares_04-21-21_001.jpg

Square Enix has announced Gate of Nightmares, a monster summon fantasy RPG for iOS and Android featuring character design and world creation by Fairy Tail creator Hiro Mashima, scenario by Jin Fujisawa, and music by Yasuharu Takanashi.

Prior to the launch official service, Square Enix will hold a "test version hands-on event" where users can experience the game in a development environment. Participant recruitment will begin in the coming days.

More here

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks interesting!

I eagerly await the Global version in two years with less generous login and event rewards.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Can famous Mangaka doing the art for new IP become more of a thing?

Love Toriyama's work with Dragon Quest and Kubo with Sakura Wars (not that I played it). Would love to see others like One (of One Punch Man fame), Miura (Berserk), Araki (Jojo), Urusawa, Obata (of Death Note fame), Boichi (Dr Stone), etc. take a stab.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I respect Mashima for the sheer volume of stuff he's able to pump out. He's clearly mastered the art of "drawing the same person over and over again" and its lead to him just having this onslaught of characters that he can dish out like nothing. I hate almost all of them but I respect the work ethic at least.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I respect Mashima for the sheer volume of stuff he's able to pump out. He's clearly mastered the art of "drawing the same person over and over again" and its lead to him just having this onslaught characters that he can dish out like nothing. I hate almost all of them but I respect the work ethic at least.
Same, I guess.

Fujijsawa worked on DQ for about 20 years (writing on a bunch of entries, and then co-directing DQ IX and X) and a couple of mobile games before leaving SE in 2018.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Love Toriyama's work with Dragon Quest and Kubo with Sakura Wars (not that I played it). Would love to see others like One (of One Punch Man fame), Miura (Berserk), Araki (Jojo), Urusawa, Obata (of Death Note fame), Boichi (Dr Stone), etc. take a stab.

Araki or Kubo Tite just straight up doing character design work for fighting games is basically all I've ever wanted.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I respect Mashima for the sheer volume of stuff he's able to pump out. He's clearly mastered the art of "drawing the same person over and over again" and its lead to him just having this onslaught characters that he can dish out like nothing. I hate almost all of them but I respect the work ethic at least.

I have nothing but massive respect to this guy. Take it or leave it, he makes the things he liked and he thought his readers liked and succeeded. All the criticisms that all his comics are essentially the same thing has no meaning to him, he just makes what he wants to make and nobody can dispute his success.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Yeah, you don't want that. Case in point his designs for Castlevania: Judgment, the fighting game Konami wanted people to want.
SVEmIkO.jpg

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Square did an interesting incursion on mobile in 2012, with Chinatsu Kurahana at the chara design (Fire Emblem : Three Houses).

But it was too early for the market and only for people with a tablet. The game had only three episodes and get discontinued.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
If this were on a thing with real buttons I'd be all over it. I just can't do anything but type and watch videos on my phone.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Hate Hiro Mashima all you want but he found a way to factory churn his designs , his typical shonen battle mangas and still have time to game n chill around, all while his fanbase gobbles it up. Dude is living the dream.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This "Hate all you want but he's successful" talk about Mashima reminds me a lot of people talking about Adam Sandler for some reason lmao. Is Hiro Mashima the Adam Sandler of mangakas?

Personally, his art being limited and every protagonist ever being some variation of Natsu or Gray never bothered me that much.

About the game itself, i just hate these japanese trailers that shows exactly 0 things about the actual game. At the very least it's using in game models instead of just static anime images tho :p

Also, that blue owl with a hat and sunglasses is rad af. I just love Mashima's random creatures.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this guy not know how to make a protagonist that doesn't look like Natsu?

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017

I love when a mangaka works on projects like these for example Sui Ishida designed the characters, story, and illustrations for this game
21031804185811.jpeg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's Hiro MashimArt.

Can't wait to see the Sieghart of this series.

Nov 1, 2020

Oh, I'd love ONE. But it's either the case you might have things mixed up and wanted to say Murata... or you know exactly what you're doing by asking for ONE. And I'm 50/50 on that.

Actually, you know what? Usazaki Shiro (Act-Age) is free at the moment...

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So the Fairy Tail man gala is doing the character design for this one. Where's Happy?