• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, nice try Square, but that's not gonna work. People will spoil anything and everything they can. And what you're doing is the Streisand effect. The more you're going to try and prevent it from spoiling, the more people will go out of their way to spoil it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Here's hoping everyone gets to play at around the same time.

Yep. It's bullshit to make us wait for April 10 when they know thousands of people in Europe/Australia will be getting early copies.
It's definitely not. Digital orders have 0 chance of being delayed. Physical does have many possibilities to be delayed. You'll be getting the game on release day regardless.

Spoilers? Does Square not understand what a remake is?
They even call this out in the post if you'd read the post from Square -___-

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Aww, charming... Too bad YouTubers and streamers won't miss out on the chance to get views.

Hopefully nothing major gets outed by people before most of us get through the game. I remember having a plot twist in Gears 6 ruined by seeing a recommended video where they put the spoiler right in the video title.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is the spoiler they're worried about the one that makes the masses aware the game isn't the entire FFVII story?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused by the FFVII update. So if they are allowing the retailers to ship it early to make sure fans get it by the 10th and there's a real chance it'll arrive before the 10th and they aren't releasing the digital version early aren't the digital version fans getting screwed?

You're making a pretty big assumption here to start with. I ordered mine through Amazon and workers there are walking off the job (as they should!) I'm worried about getting the game at all at this point. I think think digital customers will survive waiting until the 10th, if they have to. If anything, that's the only thing about this situation that's a certainty.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're making a pretty big assumption here to start with. I ordered mine through Amazon and workers there are walking off the job (as they should!) I'm worried about getting the game at all at this point. I think think digital customers will survive waiting until the 10th, if they have to. If anything, that's the only thing about this situation that's a certainty.
You're making a big assumption that us digital consumers will "survive" given PSN is throttling downloads at this time and this game is 90GB minimum. my mental health is at risk

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
You're making a big assumption that us digital consumers will "survive" given PSN is throttling downloads at this time and this game is 90GB minimum. my mental health is at risk

I'm saying you know, for certain, on April 10, the switch will flip and the game will be unlocked. Your point about online traffic would apply even if SE released the game right now. Separate argument.

I feel for you though, I mean there's no way I'm downloading 100GB of anything from PSN haha

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like the meme that it's secretly the whole story, and all the episodic talk is their way to recreate the moment from the original when you leave Midgar.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying you know, for certain, on April 10, the switch will flip and the game will be unlocked. Your point about online traffic would apply even if SE released the game right now. Separate argument.

I feel for you though, I mean there's no way I'm downloading 100GB of anything from PSN haha
im kidding yeah haha, should've put that disclaimer there. we'll be fine. after kh3 i feel like Square has prepared us for any leaks that will come. Avengers is going to fall off a truck next month at this point

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
What it means is they have given authorization to outlets to ship early if they believe there will be problems with shipping due to lockdowns. That means those who ordered to have delivered to their homes may see it early. If you asked to have it shipped to a store you may not be so lucky. Depends on your retailer.

Digital people will still get the game when they would normally get it, though with the speeds capped it may take longer.
This is how I understood it.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
UK shops that have commented on it have no intention of shipping it out earlier. GAME in particular are commited to shipping it so it misses launch day.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah don't get why they just don't unlock the entire thing on digital now. It's bullshit how people getting via digital always get the shaft.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
So we shouldn't talk about the scene where
Tifa dies instead of Aeris?
Ok, my lips are sealed.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
im kidding yeah haha, should've put that disclaimer there. we'll be fine. after kh3 i feel like Square has prepared us for any leaks that will come. Avengers is going to fall off a truck next month at this point

Oh man, there's no way that actually comes out, right? There isn't even advertising for it. I can't get away from FFVIIR ads and I'm a Marvel geek, so if they were pushing Avengers even half as much, I should be seeing that stuff online.

Yeah don't get why they just don't unlock the entire thing on digital now. It's bullshit how people getting via digital always get the shaft.

There's friction between digital and brick/mortar retail and esuevislly so at a time like this. If they unlocked the game now, a decent chunk of people would absolutely cancel their retail pre-order to just get the game early now and be done with it. Considering the fact that the quarantine likely means even more people than normal would do this and that this is by default the highest profile release of the year, we're probably not talking about insignificant numbers here.

So SE has to handle that delicately. Retailers are already eating shit as is, so kicking them when their down would go beyond poor form.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
People shouldn't spoil anything for one year because the game is moneyhatted to be a one year timed exclusive.

Of course they will spoil everything. I can even find some on /v/ at this moment.