• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how they're breaking up a single game into 3 or 4 full price releases...I don't want any of them.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
SNES games still hold up really well (at least the pixel based ones), so I'd definitely go for one of the great PS1 games: Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
If they can do it right: Chrono Trigger, hell I'll be happy with a good port of it on Consoles if I can play it on the big screen.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing a reinterpretation of FFVI if it tried to keep to the spirit of the original and not get too convoluted.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Sorry I think the 6 is supposed to look like a 9 which since we're now talking about this I wouldn't mind a full fledged remake of IX but if it's in 4 parts nevermind. Also Chrono Trigger should stay 16 Bit cause I feel if square enix attempts at Chrono trigger it'll be a remaster just like secret of Mana and trials of mana

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of don't want them touching Chrono Trigger. It's amazing as it is on SNES or even the PS1 remake/update.

I think FF6 lends itself as a story the best to a modernization. I honestly could be convinced that FF6 lends itself even MORE to a modern take than FF7 does. But they don't even have to do "real" graphics. They could just update it with like an animated or cel-shaded style (think Sly Cooper) and that would be pretty dope, as well.

Xenogears would be incredible for them to do. But absolutely nobody is sold yet that they'll even finish FF7 all the way, so going to something even MORE expansive like Xenogears (or how it should have been I guess) is just crazy. But man, that would be awesome.

Also I'd be so in for Parasite Eve, and that story would probably lend itself to being adapted to an action RPG even better than any of these other games. Could be fun.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think FF6 has the most to gain. The original game has inconsistent character art and sprites, doesn't feel great to control, and doesn't have a definitive version.

It doesn't need a remake to the extent of FF7, but if they could somehow give it a mid-budget remake I would be all for it. People have mentioned Octopath Traveler style graphics and I think that could work, because they could keep the scope of the towns and dungeons exactly the same, while still being an impressive update.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
All good choices. But you are missing IX which is for me the quintessential final fantasy experience.

I can imagine chrono trigger being remade in the style of dragon quest xi.

Not sure if I'd want 8 before 6 being remade. Remaking 6 will be a landmark remake if it happens.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
In a just world it would be Chrono Trigger, but I feel that's also the least likely of these possibilities by far since Square Enix usually milks the Final Fantasy IP first and foremost.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even want to imagine how you remake the 2D classics.

Like, for real, where do you even start with Chrono Trigger? The pressure and cost would be astounding.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I think the other notable remake was FF3 and FF4 on the DS. With the 3D and revamped scenarios and more complex systems. I wonder how those were received.

... FF4 on the DS was the only way I experienced FF4 and boy was that a trip. SNES storytelling at the turn of the NES era was sure a thing to behold translated into voice acting and expanded dialogue trying to justify the stuff going on.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a just world it would be 6. I think it's the one that could benefit the most from a remake, and make the most money for Square.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
FF: Tactics. Remake the models of FF12 like they did 7 but have dynamic tactics gameplay. Congratulations one of the best games ever made.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
3D remake of 6 or Chrono Trigger would be horrible.

Thankfully it's gonna take Square another decade to finish 7 so we'll probably dodge that bullet

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I mean I've always dreamed of a VI remake since it's been my oldest fav (my #1 until Xenoblade. Still kinda tie or #2 at worst)

But the Seiken Densetsu 3 remake has gotten me particularly dreaming up more SNES remakes in its style, specifically fantasizing FF6's Kohlingen in place of the first glimpse we got of Astoria. Also of course think of CT done the same.

Mahnmut

Oct 27, 2017
Brussels
At first I wanted a FFVI remake but after seeing FFVII remake I don't. Don't get me wrong, I think FFVII remake is great but I can't help thinking that some of the "magic" got lost in translation.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I've honestly never played VI because there was never really a good version I could find in a system that I play back when I was young. Now that I'm old, it looks too dated for me so I'd pick that.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger pls... After playing the FF7R demo, I have faith in SE delivering. But none of that split story crap.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida